Jets Tampa Observations

20 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

More penalties than points, and no td's. Seems to be a familiar script under coach Salesman. Although the D only gave up 13 points, there were still tons of 3rd down and long conversions where they made Kyle Trask look like TB12. No D turnovers as usual, and no sacks either that I can remember. So will the Jet D will be feast or famine? Either they will sack the QB, or the passes will be easily completed? Zack played ok, a few drops hurt his stats, still has brain farts on short easy stuff, had that nice run. Becton looks like a man on a mission. Someone either promised him part ownership of a Golden Corral franchise if he plays a full season, or somehow lit a fire under his arse because he looked great. RB's were meh. Wr's were meh. Overall, pre season is a total waste of time. The only thing that comes out of it are injuries which sucks. It really has no bearing on any reality or anything that will happen on or after opening day except teams missing key players. 

The "defense" you complain about was not close to resembling who will be on the field for the Jets defense once the season starts. Did any starters play?  Your last two sentences were completely accurate. Why those thoughts didn't convince you that the first part of your post ranting about the defense was meaningless is confusing at best.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The "defense" you complain about was not close to resembling who will be on the field for the Jets defense once the season starts. Did any starters play?  Your last two sentences were completely accurate. Why those thoughts didn't convince you that the first part of your post ranting about the defense was meaningless is confusing at best.  

I think the issue with the D is that they seemed dominant and then gave up some long 3rd downs.  That has been a problem in the past, so it brings out the SOJs in all of us.  There are two reasons not to be worried about that:  1.  It is an offensive league and all teams convert 3rd and longs now.  It isn't 1975.  Hopefully, with a legit QB we will be able to convert more.  2.  We have a bunch of guys that won't make it and have not necessarily been practicing together, so blown assignments are to be expected.  Hopefully that will not continue, but if Craig James or  Derrick Langford blows a coverage is that really indicative of what will happen week 1? 

We did have our #1 and 2 DPR playing.  Thankfully, they look ready.  With all the rotations, I think a bunch of guys that will get snaps week 1 saw the field. 

7 hours ago, Jethead said:

I'd keep him over Thomas but I think both are goners. He's a good young player. Wish him well.

I probably would too, but Saleh likes Thomas a lot.  Why, I'm not quite sure, but Saleh has shown that he keeps his favorites around.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought that they had to clear waivers or make the final 53 before they can be placed on IR?  A few of the guys the Jets waived recently ended up on IR - Guidry, Hall, Nasrildeen.  Even Streveler briefly before he got his injury settlement.  Can he go on IR without clearing waivers since he has not practiced? 

FWIW, this is the type of guy I am suggesting cutting Cobb for.  Cut Cobb with a handshake deal and then bring him back when JBC reverts to IR.  

They don't have to clear waivers to make the final 53, but they do have to pass through waivers to make it onto the PS or back to the Jets IR.  I think the rules are different for vested veterans.  I know that they normally don't have to pass through waivers.

With regads to JBC, I'm not certain.  Since he hasn't practiced, he should have gone on the PUP list, but I don't think the Jets placed him on the PUP list.  So I don't know if they can place him on IR without waivers.  They may have to keep him on the roster until they've made all their cuts, and then place him on IR, but they'd be exposing another player they want to keep to waivers.  Since he hasn't practiced and for all I know is still injured, I don't think that anyone would claim him, but the might.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

They don't have to clear waivers to make the final 53, but they do have to pass through waivers to make it onto the PS or back to the Jets IR.  I think the rules are different for vested veterans.  I know that they normally don't have to pass through waivers.

With regads to JBC, I'm not certain.  Since he hasn't practiced, he should have gone on the PUP list, but I don't think the Jets placed him on the PUP list.  So I don't know if they can place him on IR without waivers.  They may have to keep him on the roster until they've made all their cuts, and then place him on IR, but they'd be exposing another player they want to keep to waivers.  Since he hasn't practiced and for all I know is still injured, I don't think that anyone would claim him, but the might.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

FWIW, ourlads shows JBC as being on the PUP since July 23rd.  It may be that he is on the active/PUP list which means that they can move him to reserve/PUP which I don't think requires clearing waivers, but would mean that he has to miss at least the first 4 games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, ourlads shows JBC as being on the PUP since July 23rd.  It may be that he is on the active/PUP list which means that they can move him to reserve/PUP which I don't think requires clearing waivers, but would mean that he has to miss at least the first 4 games.

Thanks!  At this point, unless he starts practicing sometime soon, I can't imagine his playing before mid-season at the earliest.  I hope that I'm wrong on one hand, but OTOH if we can keep him on PUP until well into the season, then we can keep another player on the roster, and won't have to worry about losing JBC.

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:24 PM, doitny said:

good thread.

1. i think Kuntz just played himself to the PS. those 2 penalties were brutal as they killed nice runs. 

2. you all know im not a Zach boy but i will give him credit for that run. not the run itself but i like how he made the decision to tuck it and run early instead of scrambling while holding it trying to pass it.

3. Bam is getting cut once Izzy is back. not a good night for him.

4. Gipson earned himself a job with that punt return.

5. Ashton Davis had a nice game. might have saved his Job. and the other safeties played well too but Davis had more plays made IMO.

6. Becton is starting RT. nice game by him.

7. alot of penalties but most by guys who wont make the team like Kuntz. that one CB #36 or #38 got like 2 or 3 on the same drive. drove me nuts.

8. our DL is real deep. some guy named Holmes i think had 2 sacks. 

9. once Rodgers gets in there thats the end of the conservative play calling. either they still dont trust Zach or hes not reading the field to find more downfield options.

I was going to bring up kuntz. Bad penalties in bad situations but they also seemed a little tricky tacky. Didn’t seem to be a whole lot he needs to clean up.

• Upvote 1