O Line Cut Block

Xtina

On 9/12/2023 at 4:34 PM, Xtina said:

Mansplain please. 
Apparently this is the reason Rodgers was so indecisive on where to throw and held on to the ball too long resulting in this horrific injury. 
Supposedly the O line was doing their cut block assignments but Rodgers doesn’t like that kind of blocking. If so this is a horrific coaching mismanagement and no other result could possibly have happened. 

I believe it was a three step drop. He had read 1, covered. Then read 2, was open but he didn't throw it for some reason. That cut block is dumb af and with AARon hesitating he almost died. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/12/2023 at 4:38 PM, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The cut block wasn't the problem and i'm pretty ******* sure that if Rodgers didn't want that play available it wouldn't have been in the book.  That block is put in place to drop a player to the ground and open up space for a quick short pass.  That pass was never delivered by Rodgers and instead he held the ball.  

In looking at the replay, the cut-block definitely was a reason for the injury. If Brown had not gone down, he would have been in position to stop Floyd; Floyd was not being aggressive in his rush. Brown was the aggressor and missed.

I can understand the use of cut-blocks, but this makes me hate its use, especially in situations when the QB chooses to hold the ball, looking at other reads if the first quick option is covered. Also, Rodgers didn't even look to the left; he looked center, then right. So why cut-block if the ball is not buzzing YOUR head?

The way they seem to use this cut-block infuriates me! :soapbox:I believe the coaching staff should take some blame for the injury in the way they taught the cut-block to be used here!

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, billo83 said:

Yeah, I love how a lot of people around here want to put this on the coaching staff. This was 100% on Aaron. He also has the green light to change plays at the line. If he didn't like the play, he would have changed it

I look at it like there are multiple culprits for the injury:

Rodgers didn't throw the first read, for whatever reason (receiver covered?), so chooses to look at other options. His prerogative, but he holds ball long, then tries to escape, straining his ankles/feet, contributing to injury. (I wish he had the mind-set to just go down and live for another play.) It does appear G.W. was open; Aaron missed it. 

Brown attempts cut-block when it doesn't seem necessary; ball not being thrown quickly by him. Floyd has free access to QB. (Only if it's 100% quick pass would this be OK, but... since there IS a CHANCE Aaron doesn't quickly throw, then don't do a cut-block if it's not absolutely going over your head.)

Coaching staff for teaching the O-line to do cut-blocking in a situation like that one.

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, IndianaJet said:

Looks like his first read was the TE - but Uzomah is running a slant over the middle and the MLB is waiting for him....

image.thumb.png.87c72c1da035b7a6337de6eeb7eeb7b4.png

Rodgers probably holds onto that read a beat too long:

image.thumb.png.a65f63944f8cd85703d56af4d64399fd.png

His next read is Wilson running a slant over the middle from the left side....Wilson is open although the safety is starting to make his move...still...Rodgers has thrown into much tighter windows:

image.thumb.png.b4816d4fe75474b81f634db9cdb2a1e7.png

Once he hesitates in making the throw at this very moment...the play is essentially done.

All of this has to be done in a 2-3 second window.

The cut block, agree with the technique or not, did what it was supposed to do on this play.

Newsflash...playing QB in the NFL is hard.

Thanks for the pics. Well written.

But one thing you wrote: "The cut block, agree with the technique or not, did what it was supposed to do on this play."

The cut-block did what it was supposed to do on this play? What it did was allow Floyd to sack/injure Rodgers. (Technique-wise, Brown appears too far away from Floyd to attempt the cut-block and fails at it.)              ~Peace

• WTF? 1

Literally both passing plays one of the tackles tried a cut block.  First, the purpose is to lower the opposing player probably because the route was designed for a short pass. Secondly, means the ball is suppose to come out quick.  

Rodgers held the ball both times.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, hawk said:

Literally both passing plays one of the tackles tried a cut block.  First, the purpose is to lower the opposing player probably because the route was designed for a short pass. Secondly, means the ball is suppose to come out quick.  

Rodgers held the ball both times.

I've acknowledged in other posts that I recognize the purpose of the cut block is to get an opponent down for a quick pass over their heads,  but the NFL is not a video game! It's a living, breathing competition of pros. So when that quick first read is covered, what do you do? Now, unless the coaches restrict the QB to just 100% throw the quick pass, complete or not, no matter what the coverage (who would do that?:dohslap:), then the QB must go to other options. And if a cut block by an OT is performed, it's highly likely, by the nature of the cut block, that the defender will have a chance at the QB. (Sorry for making this long!)

This is exactly what Rodgers reportedly said in an article by NESN's Adam London:

The aforementioned play design, according to The Athletic’s Zack Rosenblatt and Dianna Russini, was not one Rodgers liked.

Story continues below advertisement

“Aaron Rodgers had expressed to #Jets coaches that he doesn’t like the play-calls involving the cut-blocks because he can’t extend the play and it forces him to get rid of the ball quickly, sources tell me and @DMRussini,” Rosenblatt posted to X on Tuesday morning. “It failed twice on his four drop-backs — one resulted in a throwaway, on the other he got injured when Duane Brown’s cut failed to stop Leonard Floyd.”

It makes me sick to think that these coaches knew Aaron's preference/request on the subject, yet didn't see the wisdom in it! He's smart and one of the most accomplished QB's, just let him do his magic in his last years! But alas! We must wait ANOTHER year, hopefully! Hey coaches, enjoy your season!

On 9/13/2023 at 12:36 PM, Sam_S said:

I searched the video and it was #43, Bernard

I think he ran a 4.59 at his pro-day, so I don't think he was catching up to the TE on the crosser.  It was going to be handed off to the safety, which should have meant an easy throw to Wilson.  It's crying over spilt milk at this point, but feel like the injury could have been avoided completely if he just stuck to the script.