O Line Cut Block

Xtina

Mansplain please. 
Apparently this is the reason Rodgers was so indecisive on where to throw and held on to the ball too long resulting in this horrific injury. 
Supposedly the O line was doing their cut block assignments but Rodgers doesn’t like that kind of blocking. If so this is a horrific coaching mismanagement and no other result could possibly have happened. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The cut block wasn't the problem and i'm pretty ******* sure that if Rodgers didn't want that play available it wouldn't have been in the book.  That block is put in place to drop a player to the ground and open up space for a quick short pass.  That pass was never delivered by Rodgers and instead he held the ball.  

Yeah, I love how a lot of people around here want to put this on the coaching staff. This was 100% on Aaron. He also has the green light to change plays at the line. If he didn't like the play, he would have changed it

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers was frozen in fear.  He had guys open and would not pull the trigger.  It was pathetic.

While I agree about the throwing. I don't think it was fear, he's been in the league 19 years. 

My estimate of what I saw is he was looking for a deep ball. Maybe he was looking for the introductory exclamation point.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Yeah, I love how a lot of people around here want to put this on the coaching staff. This was 100% on Aaron. He also has the green light to change plays at the line. If he didn't like the play, he would have changed it

If it were Zach back there not throwing to an open Wilson, we'd be having a completely different conversation today...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Looks like his first read was the TE - but Uzomah is running a slant over the middle and the MLB is waiting for him....

image.thumb.png.87c72c1da035b7a6337de6eeb7eeb7b4.png

Rodgers probably holds onto that read a beat too long:

image.thumb.png.a65f63944f8cd85703d56af4d64399fd.png

His next read is Wilson running a slant over the middle from the left side....Wilson is open although the safety is starting to make his move...still...Rodgers has thrown into much tighter windows:

image.thumb.png.b4816d4fe75474b81f634db9cdb2a1e7.png

Once he hesitates in making the throw at this very moment...the play is essentially done.

All of this has to be done in a 2-3 second window.

The cut block, agree with the technique or not, did what it was supposed to do on this play.

Newsflash...playing QB in the NFL is hard.

I haven't seen the All-22 yet, but I have a feeling he was confused by the shells.  The broadcast mentioned that the Bills like to show defensive shells and then change it at the snap.  I think he expected the LB to carry the TE, which would have freed up the safety to drive on the slant.  However, the LB is slow to react and the safety is moving laterally to pick the TE.  Again, it's pure speculation, but I think Rodgers is looking at the safety first here (instead of Wilson), thinking he's going to drive on the slant to Wilson, so he can hit the TE over the top.  By the time he realizes the change, the LB is near him, and he thinks he can escape it, and the rest is history.  

They ran a cut block to the other side first (the throw away) but on that one that quick pass was covered, thus he didn't have a choice anyway.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, rbstern said:

There is something weird about his body language in the entire first series.  I speculate the tendon was starting to go already, maybe a partial tear, he sensed something was wrong, and it was playing with his head.

He didn’t seem jazzed up, am I right? I’m thinking that trading camp “calf” injury may have been related to this… was it the same leg ? 

• Upvote 4

There was another missed block on Milano that led to a Zach sack. I believe airman said Milano was supposed to have been blocked by McGovern on the play.  The thing is Milano came through the gap between guard and lt so it would’ve been near impossible for McGovern to get there unless he went behind the guard.  In any event the pass blocking needs to be cleaned up and Zach will need some quicker deliveries.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Once he hesitates in making the throw at this very moment...the play is essentially done.

The cut block, agree with the technique or not, did what it was supposed to do on this play.

So much of this makes no sense at all. These plays were scripted. Why does he seem confused out there? He's known to audible a lot. If he hates the cut blocks, why not audible out of them? Why are they cut blocking if Rodgers doesn't like to make quick throws? Wilson is an easy pass. Why is Rodgers hesitating?

Are both OTs less than 100% and this was the idea to avoid straining them? Was the drive plan changed at the last minute because Rodgers showed up injured? If so, why is he exposing himself to injury risk by not making the easy short throw?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

So much of this makes no sense at all. These plays were scripted. Why does he seem confused out there? He's known to audible a lot. If he hates the cut blocks, why not audible out of them? Why are they cut blocking if Rodgers doesn't like to make quick throws? Wilson is an easy pass. Why is Rodgers hesitating?

Are both OTs less than 100% and this was the idea to avoid straining them? Was the drive plan changed at the last minute because Rodgers showed up injured? If so, why is he exposing himself to injury risk by not making the easy short throw?

So many questions that will probably never be answered. This film is going to be the zapruder film of the nfl 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, PorP said:

While I agree about the throwing. I don't think it was fear, he's been in the league 19 years. 

My estimate of what I saw is he was looking for a deep ball. Maybe he was looking for the introductory exclamation point.

i don't think any deep routes were being run in this play

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i don't think any deep routes were being run in this play

Think he was doing what he did in GB and waiting on the receiver to go off script. 

While that's only a thought,  I know he was off script and out of sync with the play

14 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Looks like his first read was the TE - but Uzomah is running a slant over the middle and the MLB is waiting for him....

image.thumb.png.87c72c1da035b7a6337de6eeb7eeb7b4.png

Rodgers probably holds onto that read a beat too long:

image.thumb.png.a65f63944f8cd85703d56af4d64399fd.png

His next read is Wilson running a slant over the middle from the left side....Wilson is open although the safety is starting to make his move...still...Rodgers has thrown into much tighter windows:

Newsflash...playing QB in the NFL is hard.

He's supposed to know being a QB for 19 years that the slant was open. I couldn't believe my eyes when he didn't have that ball out in front of Wilson.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The cut block wasn't the problem and i'm pretty ******* sure that if Rodgers didn't want that play available it wouldn't have been in the book.  That block is put in place to drop a player to the ground and open up space for a quick short pass.  That pass was never delivered by Rodgers and instead he held the ball.  

If he didn’t like the play called… throw the ball away!! This still infuriates me. Brady did this all the time and played until he was 45 and even slower than Rodgers

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Frozen in fear.  He was having a panic attack out there.  That is the only explaination.

Not buying it.  That doesn't happen to a guy who is 25 or 30 thousand snaps into his HOF career.  I don't care what the venue, stage, or circumstance is. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, win4ever said:

I haven't seen the All-22 yet, but I have a feeling he was confused by the shells.  The broadcast mentioned that the Bills like to show defensive shells and then change it at the snap.  I think he expected the LB to carry the TE, which would have freed up the safety to drive on the slant.  However, the LB is slow to react and the safety is moving laterally to pick the TE.  Again, it's pure speculation, but I think Rodgers is looking at the safety first here (instead of Wilson), thinking he's going to drive on the slant to Wilson, so he can hit the TE over the top.  By the time he realizes the change, the LB is near him, and he thinks he can escape it, and the rest is history.  

They ran a cut block to the other side first (the throw away) but on that one that quick pass was covered, thus he didn't have a choice anyway.  

Isn't that Terell Bernard the LB covering the TE? 

20 hours ago, rbstern said:

There is something weird about his body language in the entire first series.  I speculate the tendon was starting to go already, maybe a partial tear, he sensed something was wrong, and it was playing with his head.

100% agree. Really looking forward to Aaron's press conference when he's ready to deliver it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Barton said:

Just confirmed, it was his left calf that flared up in camp 4+ weeks ago. Just read an article and a doctor said that can be the first sign of an upcoming Achilles injury. Awesome. 

That scramble where he stumbled and threw the ball away was likely what set it up. You are correct i think. 

• Upvote 2