Mario Williams in a 3-4

nvot9

How do you guys feel about this? I mean the guy is no doubt talented, but I feel that in a 3-4, where as a DE his pass-rushing talents would be underutilized, as a 3-4 DE's job is to eat up blockers as oppose to his specialty, get sacks. At the same time however, he does not have the coverage ability to play pass-rushing OLB. I just think that his talent is not best for a 3-4, despite his perfect 3-4 size.

Nice post and perhaps you are right.

But do not forget the Jets will run plenty of 4-3 too. We're not gonna play 3-4 80% of the time. Mario can play in 4-3 or 3-4, which makes him extra valuable for Mangini because he has alot of versatility which will be needed when the Jets switch on and off with the 3-4 & 4-3 etc etc.

But do not forget the Jets will run plenty of 4-3 too. We're not gonna play 3-4 80% of the time. Mario can play in 4-3 or 3-4, which makes him extra valuable for Mangini because he has alot of versatility which will be needed when the Jets switch on and off with the 3-4 & 4-3 etc etc.

i am sure they will go 4-3 on all straight passing downs. he would get plenty of opportunities in those situations

Agreed, having someone as versatile as him would confuse defenses around the NFL...will he line up, drop back...what? But I can't help to think that running a 3-4, 4-3 hybrid is onoly temporary, and just for the teams that are just making the 3-4 switch. However, after getting guys like Kimo, Chatham, and Pope, I honestly think that we will, after this year be a permanent 3-4, leaving Mario w/o a true position. Now, on the same note, if we ran a permanent hybrid, well then I'm all for Mario, but taking a 3-4 DE w/ no true 3-4 position with the FOURTH PICK in the draft is not a good decision, Richard Seymour or no Richard Seymour.

That being said, is anyone else pondering what trading down could do for us? I mean only if D'Brick, Leinart, and Bush are of the board ofcourse.

Think about it, we trade with Detroit for number 9 and their second round...

1) Winston Justice- Instantly fills in our HUGE gap at RT with a tremendous player. Has only risen on draft boards, I like him more than D'Brick as a Jet.

1) Bobby Carpenter- A true blitzzer and phenominal run-stuffer, definately fits our 3-4 bill. Will be what Mike Vrabel was to Belicheck.

2) Gabe Watson- We get an outsanding NT, who if it wasn't for his laziness and occasional habbit of being over weight, would be a top 15 pick.

2) Nick Mangold- An extremely NFL ready center with a nasty demeanor. Will be a huge boost to our OL, and with these two guys (Mangold and Justice) anchoring our OL, we will be set for years.

3) Brodie Croyle- Might not be the best QB in this draft, but his bomb arm, and uncandy resemblence to Broadway Joe makes him an easy and obvious selection and I would be estatic with him as a competitor to Ramsey and Pennington.

3) (Comp) Hank Baskett- The Jets definately need some WR help, with Justin "no hands" McCareins as their current 2nd string WR. Baskett has tremendous size and ridiculously amazing hands. His wide frame makes him an outstanding red-zone target, and he can compete for even the number 1 WR slot with Coles.

I think that would be an ideal first day for us, and then next year we can look at guys like Brian Brohm or Brady Quinn, and Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch to fill our "franchise QB/RB" hole.

How do you guys feel about this? I mean the guy is no doubt talented, but I feel that in a 3-4, where as a DE his pass-rushing talents would be underutilized, as a 3-4 DE's job is to eat up blockers as oppose to his specialty, get sacks. At the same time however, he does not have the coverage ability to play pass-rushing OLB. I just think that his talent is not best for a 3-4, despite his perfect 3-4 size.

Who would would play the nose if the Jets go 3-4?

The 3-4 just don't work without a fat load on the nose.

BTW, I agree with you, Mario Williams will be a stud in the NFL.

While I agree Williams will be a great player it appears that the second tier of players fit the Jets needs better. The Jets best option imo is to hope someone around 7-10 wants to trade up to grab someone that falls to the Jets. The best need players out there for the Jets are Ngata, Hawk, Huff, Davis, Jimmy Williams, and Hill. This is assuming Bush, Leinart and Fergeson are off the board at 4. While Williams will be a great player I do not see him filling a need at this point.

Our Dline has more talent, but it might be worse than our Oline.

Shaun Ellis - did nothing last year, I still like him. But facts are facts, he sucked last year.

Drob - all talent, hasnt lived up to the hype, nothing special.

Thomas - no fit on the line in 3-4

Kimo - old, who cares. Wont be here in 2 years.

Pope - yawn

Basically we have nothing on the Dline entering the draft for a 3-4 defense aside from Ellis, who was overweight and slow last year.

Our Dline is overrated. It needs a boost.

Or put Williams in OLB... he runs under 4.7 so why not.

Anyway... Stopgap job does not mean to secure the starting job.. Kimo may lose the starting job to Williams but will have a plenty of playtime as Jets rotate front 3..

There is Jets' major concern is DT.... For short term, Pouha and Robertson will be NT in 3-4. Jets will find a right DT after Robertson's contract becomes cheaper to cut or trade or is up...

There is no brianer to take Williams... Granted, his speed will be wasted if he plays 3-4 DE but he is extremely lazy comparing to Peppers..

Just my humbly opinion.

I have said the exact same thing to you like ten million times. Why is this guy suddenly right?

I have said the exact same thing to you like ten million times. Why is this guy suddenly right?

LOL :D

I think this guy was just saying it wouldnt be best for Mario to be in a a 3-4, but he could still do it. You made it sound like Mario could not play in a 3-4 at all, there's the difference.

Who would would play the nose if the Jets go 3-4?

The 3-4 just don't work without a fat load on the nose.

BTW, I agree with you, Mario Williams will be a stud in the NFL.

The answer is nobody. We don't have anyone who can play NT. Unless you want to draft Ngata with the fourth pick.

Archived