Patriots | Seymour's extension reportedly worth $30 million

Smizzy

Patriots | Seymour's extension reportedly worth $30 million

Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:53:50 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, citing ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, reports New England Patriots DE Richard Seymour's contract extension is worth around $30 million.

:Typotux:

Worth.

Every.

Penny.

I really missed you around these parts RS. I agree. I was just going to post those same exact 3 words.

Pats had to keep Seymour. He's their blue chip player on defense. He does it all. Brady and Seymour are must keep players. Everyone else you can mix and match. Those two guys had to stay.

I really missed you around these parts RS. I agree. I was just going to post those same exact 3 words.

Pats had to keep Seymour. He's their blue chip player on defense. He does it all. Brady and Seymour are must keep players. Everyone else you can mix and match. Those two guys had to stay.

Aw shucks, YJF, I think you're swell too (one of the finest posters I've known on any board to be honest. Your even keel and consistant insight is remarkable). No seriously, I'm realizing how much I missed this place while I've been gone (sweet jesus, I need some antibiotics or something before my fingers turn gangrenous from being so nice to you guys.... your team SUCKS! LOSERS!)...

and yeah. Brady and Seymour are the two players on the team who are more likely than not to have chiseled busts in Canton when this is all over, and that's not a deceptive way of framing it at all.

I think that in the entire NFL at any given time there might be 30 truly "Franchise caliber players." The Pats are amazingly fortunate to have two of them.

To be honest I'm pleased with the contract total and cash per year. When G. Warren got 6/36 mil I started popping tums worrying about what Sey's market would be....

Richard Seymour is a beast. This was an excellent move by the Pats' FO. Seymour can play DE and DT, whichever you want. He's young, as TX said he's 26 and he's not even in his prime yet. Seymour is one of the best all around defensive lineman in the league.

Richard Seymour is a beast. This was an excellent move by the Pats' FO. Seymour can play DE and DT, whichever you want. He's young, as TX said he's 26 and he's not even in his prime yet. Seymour is one of the best all around defensive lineman in the league.

The thing I am most impressed with Seymour is his ability to play the run and rush the passer equally well.

Most DE's do one much better than the other (ie. Freeney, Abe, etc.).

That was a huge signing by the Pats and it's a move I'm glad took place prior to training camp.

The thing I am most impressed with Seymour is his ability to play the run and rush the passer equally well.

Most DE's do one much better than the other (ie. Freeney, Abe, etc.).

Like Joe Klecko, who belongs in Canton, of course.

Seymour locked up was huge for the Pats. Gave him alot of money and didn't break the bank. Its the way the best teams in the league stay that way in the FA era.

I'm hoping our regime does much of the same.

This proves to me more than any Jets signing that the Jets will try to get Mario Williams with the first pick. Getting preasure from a 3 man line while still being able to be strong against the run is very important.

Getting preasure from a 3 man line while still being able to be strong against the run is very important.

sherry,

Getting pressure from a 3-man line is a secondary responsibility.

First and foremost, it is to occupy blockers to free up the LB's to make the plays.

Second, stop the run at the LOS.

Getting pressure on the QB is icing on the cake for a 3-man DL.

QB pressure will generally come from the OLB in a 3-4 set.

sherry,

Getting pressure from a 3-man line is a secondary responsibility.

First and foremost, it is to occupy blockers to free up the LB's to make the plays.

Second, stop the run at the LOS.

Getting pressure on the QB is icing on the cake for a 3-man DL.

QB pressure will generally come from the OLB in a 3-4 set.

True Tx but if you can get pressure from a 3 man line in passing situations, but still hold strong against a draw play it is also icing. You are 100% correct that the DL should first occupy blockers but if they can rush the passer as well once they realize it is a pass it is a great attribute.

Archived