Randy Mueller thinks the Jets could get a 2nd round pick in a tag and trade for Bryce Huff

10 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I just wish they traded him since season was lost so early because of the AR injury. Either way it’s terrible foresight and mismanagement by JD.

The entire 2023 year between FA, Draft and in season moved has easily been the worst GM performance that I have ever seen, despite getting the great AR. When you look at everything and the sequence of events, it’s the most incompetent performance of anything that I’ve ever seen. 

the trade deadline was Halloween. in 7 games Huff had 3.5 sacks and 9 QB hits. JD probably couldnt get a good trade for those numbers. 

whats the comp pick? a 3rd rd? maybe thats about what anyone was willing to give. just because it didnt happen doesnt mean he didnt try. 

plus we were 4-3 on a 3 game winning streak. i can see why he kept him. 

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

the trade deadline was Halloween. in 7 games Huff had 3.5 sacks and 9 QB hits. JD probably couldnt get a good trade for those numbers. 

whats the comp pick? a 3rd rd? maybe thats about what anyone was willing to give. just because it didnt happen doesnt mean he didnt try. 

plus we were 4-3 on a 3 game winning streak. i can see why he kept him. 

Comp pick is far from a sure thing with how active the jets will have to be in FA. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

how did douglas do huff dirty last year?

They gave Huff every indication that they didn't believe in him.

- didn't work out a reasonable deal last offseason

- hit him with the 2nd round tender, begging a team to give them a pick rather than spending the $3m more on the 1st round tender which would have implied they wanted him.

- then they decided in a year they were gaining All-In on a SB that they felt they could burn a 1st on a player that was barely going to play

- then restructured Lawson to push his cap hit into 2024 when they had a free out to save all of that space.

Maybe I'm reading into that too far but I completely understand if Huff wants to play hard ball

FWIW I think the best way to handle this is to give his agent permission while he’s still under contract to work out a deal just as if he was FA. Agree to a deal with that team and trade him for a pick or another player. It just takes some cooperation from 3 sides. Similar to what KC did with Tyreek Hill. I don’t think the team treated him badly or he’s angry with management the impression I get is he wants to be a every down player and this is his best chance to make a big paycheck which Jets aren’t doing for him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app