A defense of Woody Johnson

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

They won’t be available for order until Spring.

I’m up on Long Island this week, but I set up an appointment for a fitting when I get back down to the beach, and away from all this snow. 

so you brought the snow here - thanks

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bugg said:

Those who fail at drafting call it a crapshoot, like it's totally random. It's not. Worse a crapshoot isn't random at all. There's 36 specific outcomes which are 100% predictable over time. That one specific outcome might occur on 1 given roll might be random, over time it's completely predictable. Anyone who uses crapshoot as analogy for randomness has 1. never played craps and 2. is an innumerate a-hole. 

Further, I can tell you from my couch; Christian Hackenberg, who was HATED by everyone at PSU with good reason, was not a NFL QB such you don't pick another one. Picking a F____IN' SAFETY over a QB is beyond idiotic. In fact, picking a safety (or a guard or a kicker) in the 1st or 2nd round when you can sign those positions on the street in free agency or pick one up on Day 2 of the draft is a misallocation of resources. And that little tiny Zach Wilson, playing in a sheetbag conference, was also not a QB. The common denominator in these decisions and the people who made them (and f___ed this franchise up) in Robert Wood Johnson Roman Numerals, noted uniform guy.  

Crapshoot 

• Upvote 1

He’s right.
Zach costs the same $5.4MM cash to Woody, and counts the same $11MM on the salary cap, whether he’s on or off the roster. The difference between the two numbers is because of signing bonus already paid to Zach as a rookie.
The only way it changes “Woody’s pockets” is if Douglas can find a trade partner willing to eat up to  that $5.4MM and then further, after finding that trade partner, Douglas curbs the team’s FA spending to leave that full amount unspent forever.
I believe he was talking about 2023. The people that wanted Zach gone after two years need to realize that his cap cost this past season was 9.5 mil but if he was cut it was 20.7 mil. That a sizable increase.

Well the dead money would have lowered what they were able to do. Sorry you can’t get through your pea sized brain. Regurgitating my insults as a gotcha when you are completely wrong just shows you dont understand the NFL and its cap. By your judgement we should cut Lazard and lose 6 million in cap space this year because he is a sunk cost. Teams don’t do that and it looks very bad for a general manager/coach which is why they sold Woody on the ability to rehabilitate Zach. Joe Douglas refused to give up on his sh*tty punter he drafted, but Zach was definitely gonna get cut? Ok.
He just doesn't get it. Holy sh*t.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Crapshoot 

Look at GB's rookie WRs this season too. There is a science to it, but it's very hard to get right.

The only position that I can say if often a crapshoot is QB, but even that has tricks you can use. Just waaay harder.

The Jets are so well run so I’m glad you are explaining their rationale. Not cutting Zach allowed them to bring in supreme talents like Lazard or Dalvin Cook? Wow. What shrewd moves. Makes more sense now. 

In reality, the Jets would have been better off cutting their losses to protect themselves from exactly what happened this season and Wilson having to play again. Joe Douglas looks like sh*t regardless if he cut Wilson or not. 
Technically, cutting him would have removed 10+ mil of cap space that they could have used to sign a vet backup and relegated Zach to QB3. That's what they should have done instead of cutting him and removing 10 mil from their cap space. This isn't hard to follow. Cutting have would have been foolish. This mistake was not making him QB3.

21 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
4 hours ago, Matt39 said:
The Jets are so well run so I’m glad you are explaining their rationale. Not cutting Zach allowed them to bring in supreme talents like Lazard or Dalvin Cook? Wow. What shrewd moves. Makes more sense now. 

In reality, the Jets would have been better off cutting their losses to protect themselves from exactly what happened this season and Wilson having to play again. Joe Douglas looks like sh*t regardless if he cut Wilson or not. 

Technically, cutting him would have removed 10+ mil of cap space that they could have used to sign a vet backup and relegated Zach to QB3. That's what they should have done instead of cutting him and removing 10 mil from their cap space. This isn't hard to follow. Cutting have would have been foolish. This mistake was not making him QB3.

Letting him play this season was foolish. Whether you pulled the bandaid off completely or relegated him to 3, whatever. I think getting him out of the locker room was worth whatever cap penalty he carried. Trading him and eating a chunk of the salary was probably the best compromise. He was a sunk cost either way, and the available space they used on other players didn’t work out either. There’s nothing not to get. He hurt then team by being on the roster. Unless you think keeping him to sign Cook was a good move I guess.

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

What kind of vile, vulgar and repugnant human being attempts to disparage a public servant like a fire fighter in the manner that you are doing in order to make some lame football point? I pray your house never needs someone like JetEngine, because the karma machine may kick in overtime at that point. Disagreeing on a football point is one thing. Disparaging a noble and needed profession that saves property and lives is quite another. 

Kevin, I will throw shade right back at you in a much less repugnant manner. Every post you make leads Widener University closer to the designation of non-accreditation. For shame. 

8 hours ago, Trotter said:

guess i will never understand the need to personally attack someone. 

You disagree with their opinion - fine call it a day. Maybe your right maybe not. Maybe both have valid points

But to get into personal area's and degrade someone especially behind a keyboard - I will never get it. 

I've seen a couple of his YT videos... If disparaging me (and Firemen in general) in some way makes him feel better about his life circumstances or self-worth, then good for him I guess. Appreciate it gents, but he's clearly a bit deranged but totally harmless. 

• Upvote 2

Letting him play this season was foolish. Whether you pulled the bandaid off completely or relegated him to 3, whatever. I think getting him out of the locker room was worth whatever cap penalty he carried. He was a sunk cost either way, and the available space they used on other players didn’t work out either. There’s nothing not to get. He hurt then team by being on the roster. Unless you think keeping him to sign Cook was a good move I guess.

It not about the cash flow, it's about the cap. They didn't need to outright cut him to keep him from playing. Just make him QB3. If you want to make the argument that having in the roster at QB3 would have torn the team apart, then that's based on pure fantasy.

From a cap standpoint, it made sense to keep him. The mistake was making him QB2 and not getting a legit QB2. End of story.
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:
He’s right.
Zach costs the same $5.4MM cash to Woody, and counts the same $11MM on the salary cap, whether he’s on or off the roster. The difference between the two numbers is because of signing bonus already paid to Zach as a rookie.
The only way it changes “Woody’s pockets” is if Douglas can find a trade partner willing to eat up to  that $5.4MM and then further, after finding that trade partner, Douglas curbs the team’s FA spending to leave that full amount unspent forever.

I believe he was talking about 2023. The people that wanted Zach gone after two years need to realize that his cap cost this past season was 9.5 mil but if he was cut it was 20.7 mil. That a sizable increase.

Either year, the idea was that Woody would've saved himself any money by having Douglas/Saleh cut Zach is baseless. His whole contract was fully guaranteed from the day it was signed; there was not a penny to save by cutting him.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

From a cap standpoint, it made sense to keep him. The mistake was making him QB2 and not getting a legit QB2. End of story.

• On this Jets team, Zach came in, beat the Bills week 1 and won 5/12 games he started.  That sounds like a QB3 to me.
  • Yes, the 49ers did the right thing.   They traded the mystery that is Lance to the Cowboys and got them to assume $10mm of his future salary.  They took the cap hit, likely spread over 2023 and 2024. Oh...they went to the Super Bowl and almost won.   The Jets, on the other hand, did not have to write off Zach's cap hit this year, got to pay him his salary in 2023 and watched some pretty bad (and some good) football. 
  • The Jets need to play hardball with Zach.  
    • He can find a team he wants to play with that will assume "his salary."  That could be the salary that Zach agrees to reduce for 2024.  If that team so much as gives the Jets a donut to get rid of his salary, they should take it. 
    • Otherwise, he can stay in NJ and be QB3, if the Jets have to pay him.    So Zach should be incentivized to find a new team and cut a deal.
    • There are variations of this theme.  
  • People are greedy.  Let's see how this ends up.