Sitting a rookie QB down a few weeks doesn't matter.

It makes sense if you draft a QB high in the first round to sit them for at least half of their rookie season something the Jets should have done with Zach and others. But expectations are they will play and start at least sometime in year 2. With AR if he's healthy he'll be starting at least one year maybe more. So while it makes much sense this season to draft a QB in the first round prob at 10 if a good one still on the board you want somebody now who is going to play. Plus last time a team AR played for drafted a QB in the first round he was pissed and maybe created internal problems. 

This idea that Zach woulda been good if only sat 6-8 weeks or so is so laughable, guys.

He spent much of the ‘21-23 seasons sitting.  Didn't help one iota.  Nor did that book Saleh told him to read on the beach.

Good QBs show they’re good eventually, regardless of how quickly they get their first start.  Bad QBs, with very few exceptions, are bad at the beginning, middle and end regardless as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Zach's last start was pretty good. He was AFC offensive player of the week. So he's a player with NFL ability. But he wasn't ready to start from day one and didn't have to compete for a starting job. Some players are and have a higher football IQ than he has. But that doesn't mean he can't play long term. 

Look I blame Zach not the CS, the org etc for not being up to the job and his generally poor performances. Good players overcome bad circumstances. I don't blame him for his over evaluation by the Jets being drafted overall 2 which was a joke. 

7 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I'm locked in on JJ McCarthy bro. I know you don't want to go QB rd 1. I'm praying Douglas can have the guts to take him

The only real player I'll still be really excited about is Bowers at te

He wont do it ... McCarthy would be a bad miss because he is a high floor decent ceiling guy that will probably be a solid pro for years.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This idea that Zach woulda been good if only sat 6-8 weeks or so is so laughable, guys.

He spent much of the ‘21-23 seasons sitting.  Didn't help one iota.  Nor did that book Saleh told him to read on the beach.

Good QBs show they’re good eventually, regardless of how quickly they get their first start.  Bad QBs, with very few exceptions, are bad at the beginning, middle and end regardless as well.

Zach was going to bust either way.  Horribly misguided evaluation of him in college and a bad case of groupthink.  20 years ago he would have been a 5th round pick

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:16 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I've previously started topics on this.  It's still a prevailing thought on JN and I do not understand it.

For every good/great QB out there who sat for a while there are just as many who played right away (somewhere in the Week 1-4 range of their rookie years):  Peyton, Donovan McNabb, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tannehill, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Stroud just to name a few.  

There’s also plenty of highly drafted QBs who sat for a while and still sucked.  Cade McNown, Marques Tuiasosopo, J.P. Losman, Jason Campbell, JaMarcus Russell, Kevin Kolb, Brian Brohm, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Trey Lance are on that list.

I think we can all agree that, while there’s no way to prove it, bust QBs would still have sucked a$$ even if they sat a year and a half.  There's no fixing a slow processing brain.

Peyton Manning agrees with me on this.  The data agrees with me on this.  Sitting is basically meaningless.  And no one outside of the Packers goes a full season without starting a guy.  It just doesn't happen.

These young guys need to arrive in the league mostly ready out of the box.  And it's not exactly an unreasonable ask when nearly every rule change since 2005 has been made to benefit QB's.  

Want to sit a guy 3-4 weeks his rookie year?  Fine.  Just don't expect it to make much difference.  

If you DO plan to sit a QB for a full year, he had better not be a guy for which you're using a 1st or early 2nd round pick.

Christian Hackenberg? Seriously. Anyone with a half a brain and watched any Big Ten football knew he had no chance to succeed. Of Course besides Mikey Mac.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 3:14 PM, Claymation said:

Christian Hackenberg? Seriously. Anyone with a half a brain and watched any Big Ten football knew he had no chance to succeed. Of Course besides Mikey Mac.

How did Macagnan not get fired immediately as soon as that pick was announced?

And that was right after he took a 6’0 210lb ILB in round 1!!!!