Sitting a rookie QB down a few weeks doesn't matter.

38 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Petty and hackenberg we're not first rd picks. 

I need to find the article but there's a massive drop off in successful QBs if they're not taken in the top half of the first rd. 

Its not a static rule or anything. 

The general idea is you have a franchise QB or bridge QB. You then take a excellent QB prospect that will eventually come along like the chiefs and Packers did. You then let them learn from afar instead of forcing/rushing development

Ppl seem to agree " well yeah that's the best situation but what about draft capital allocation when you are trying to win now with cousins or Rodgers and/or wasting a qbs rookie contract."

I'm never passing on a top QB prospect while my QB is in his mid 30s or even approaching his mid 30s...Because that draft pick gives me potentially 10-15 more opportunities to win than one singular all in year

To wasting the rookie QB contract, you would still be paying the other QB on your team in theory, just like the Packers were, just like whoever signs cousins, and just like the jets now. Again you're paying the position regardless to some extent

Secondly even if you aren't paying the QB a ton, say your QB is Fitz for a few years, and the rookie 1st rd pick sits for 2-3 years. 

You still have years 5-6 where you still won't be paying the QB that much.

but even if you subscribe to " wasting the QBs rookie contract" I don't,

why would I purposely force the QB to play before he's ready jeopardizing his development and long term stability at the position. 

Ppl kept yelling at the Packers when they drafted Rodgers and Love saying " you can't do that. Why take a QB in the first rd and not play him. Etc etc". 

I just think that's stuff ppl are repeating and nauseum and just accept it as orthodoxy. 

I don't believe it's the most conducive environment to bring a first rd QB to develop

Like the analogy I provided earlier, you're throwing some undergrad out there to be a lawyer and imo it seems reckless 

Yeah.  It sounds nice, but the longer you go on the less reality based it becomes.  2-3 years?  Why not just wait and sign them as a free agent.  Fitzpatrick isn't making top dollar?  He got fairly large contracts each time he was actually expected to start and promptly underperformed.  Cousins literally got top dollar.  Hackeberg wasn't a 1st?  You are sure specific.  You admit that top of the 1st Qbs probably have to start early, but 2nd round picks don't count as an investment in the position?   I can see saying that about Petty, where is your alleged sweet spot?  Top of the first you have to start.  After the middle of the first they all suck.  How are you supposed to decide? 

The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes and waited a year.  Mahomes was a special prospect.  I was not one of the ones sold on him as a savior but at a minimum he was a low floor highest of the high ceiling prospect.  There is not one sitting there at 10 every year.  I agree.  If there is a great prospect sitting there, I am not going to pass.  It is always better to have too many QBs than too few.  The issue is, these guys are not generally sitting there at 10.  Also, just having a guy sit does not make him develop into a stud.  We all agree the Steelers are a solid organization.  How did they do with Mason Rudolph and Kenny Pickett?  Are they "jeopardizing" these delicate flowers or finding out they suck?  The Texans probably should have started Watson sooner if anything. 

You want to sit here and laud the Packers for picking Love?  There are multiple ways of looking at it.  Sure, you think they found their QB.  Still, they haven't won sh*t.  Love won 9 games.  They literally barely did better than the Jets.  Are they really that far from the 2022 Giants?  I mean, they knocked off the Cowboys and everyone thinks the future is bright, but there are no guarantees.  Maybe if the 2020 Packers drafted Tee Higgins or Pittman instead of Love, they would have won something with their MVP QB instead of being an early out. 

Bottom line is that it is more the player than the philosophy IMO.  Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence and Stroud don't seem to have been destroyed as prospects by starting early.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Id have to do a deep dive here but there is already flaws here.  I'm not suggesting that sitting for a few weeks helps really. 

That's why I broke it down by various sitting lengths.

And of course there are flaws, but I couldn't find any analysis on this stuff elsewhere so I did it myself.  The problem is there's no "control group" so its impossible to get the WHOLE picture (and by that very nature its unscientific) but its better than nothing, no?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

If another team took love and forced him to play earlier before he was ready we wouldnt see obviously what we are now. 

Aaron Rodgers and Pat Mahomes would be exactly what they are today if they started Week 1.

My statement is as equally unprovable as yours.  Only difference is the limited data available supports my side over yours - the QB bust rate is similar across the board no matter how much a QB sat.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bottom line is that it is more the player than the philosophy IMO.  Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence and Stroud don't seem to have been destroyed as prospects by starting early.  

And meanwhile all 4 were drafted to such quality orgs! 

Love that part too.  People love to talk about how important it is for the environment a QB enters into to be strong without acknowledging that for these 4:

• Burrow:  The Bengals had sucked for a long time and went longer than us (1991-2021; 30 years) till they won a playoff game with Burrow.  The years before his arrival they finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th, respectively in their division.  Their OL got Burrow's ACL crushed his rookie year but he's become elite anyways.
  • Herbert:  Had the # 32 ranked OL and a HC who got fired his rookie year and set the rookie record for TDs anyways.
  • Lawrence:  His rookie year was spent with a sociopath HC.  And of course the Jaguars sucked for decades before his arrival.  Didn't ruin his "development".
  • Stroud:  The Texans were an absolute mess up until about a year before he arrived.  How quickly we forget that a friggin preacher or whatever was running the team and the Texans were an enormous sh*t-show.

Great/good QBs can be delayed.  Not denied.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  It sounds nice, but the longer you go on the less reality based it becomes.  2-3 years?  Why not just wait and sign them as a free agent.  Fitzpatrick isn't making top dollar?  He got fairly large contracts each time he was actually expected to start and promptly underperformed.  Cousins literally got top dollar.  Hackeberg wasn't a 1st?  You are sure specific.  You admit that top of the 1st Qbs probably have to start early, but 2nd round picks don't count as an investment in the position?   I can see saying that about Petty, where is your alleged sweet spot?  Top of the first you have to start.  After the middle of the first they all suck.  How are you supposed to decide? 

The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes and waited a year.  Mahomes was a special prospect.  I was not one of the ones sold on him as a savior but at a minimum he was a low floor highest of the high ceiling prospect.  There is not one sitting there at 10 every year.  I agree.  If there is a great prospect sitting there, I am not going to pass.  It is always better to have too many QBs than too few.  The issue is, these guys are not generally sitting there at 10.  Also, just having a guy sit does not make him develop into a stud.  We all agree the Steelers are a solid organization.  How did they do with Mason Rudolph and Kenny Pickett?  Are they "jeopardizing" these delicate flowers or finding out they suck?  The Texans probably should have started Watson sooner if anything. 

You want to sit here and laud the Packers for picking Love?  There are multiple ways of looking at it.  Sure, you think they found their QB.  Still, they haven't won sh*t.  Love won 9 games.  They literally barely did better than the Jets.  Are they really that far from the 2022 Giants?  I mean, they knocked off the Cowboys and everyone thinks the future is bright, but there are no guarantees.  Maybe if the 2020 Packers drafted Tee Higgins or Pittman instead of Love, they would have won something with their MVP QB instead of being an early out. 

I didn't say the QB just sits. I didn't say QBs taken in the top half of the draft must start right away. I said their is a massive drop off afterwards. I also don't disagree, it's always more the player then environment. 

I think we generally agree and are just talking past each other a bit 

Long story short I want the jets to take one of these qbs, preferably Maye or McCarthy at 10. But I know Woody/ Douglas won't do it. 

I'll be happy if they get Bowers tho

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And meanwhile all 4 were drafted to such quality orgs! 

Love that part too.  People love to talk about how important it is for the environment a QB enters into to be strong without acknowledging that for these 4:

• Burrow:  The Bengals had sucked for a long time and went longer than us (1991-2021; 30 years) till they won a playoff game with Burrow.  The years before his arrival they finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th, respectively in their division.  Their OL got Burrow's ACL crushed his rookie year but he's become elite anyways.
  • Herbert:  Had the # 32 ranked OL and a HC who got fired his rookie year and set the rookie record for TDs anyways.
  • Lawrence:  His rookie year was spent with a sociopath HC.  Didn't ruin his "development".
  • Stroud:  The Texans were an absolute mess up until about a year before he arrived.  How quickly we forget that a friggin preacher or whatever was running the team and the Texans were an enormous sh*t-show.

Great/good QBs can be delayed.  Not denied.

I'll always agree to this point. Regardless of environment great QB will manifest and it usually happens pretty soon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 2/20/2024 at 6:52 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

As opposed to you who contributes so much to the board saying everything the Jets do is good all the time.

Love the critics who do nothing but act like a d**k to those trying to do some analysis in a long offseason.  

No one likes you.  Go away. 

Problem is with you is you read a post and hear what you want.  Then for bonus points you don’t respond with a difference of opinion, you call me a homer and move on.  
Tell me how you just disputed or gave an alternate opinion to what i just said.  Where’s the debate?  Other than to somehow turn a disagreement about the advantages of sitting and learning into a discussion to the advantages of each, pointing out Big Ben was terrible as a rookie then turning my take into I’m a homer.  You’re apparently scared to debate so you act out or flat out stupid because none of this has a thing to do with the Jets
Don’t tell me to go away, it’s an internet message board, learn how they work and stop acting like a baby

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone is trying to work this problem backwards... Let's focus on the Jets and the massive sample size they provided to us over the past 24 years...

Pennington: Drafted by Parcells, coached by Dan Henning. Solid roster with good players and even a bit of an offensive philosophy (Power Running game, play action). He did well until he broke. Also, a smart, mature guy that was 24 years old when he finally started in 02.

Sanchez: Young knucklehead paired with a glorified DC that went through 3 OCs in 4 years. 

Geno: See above, but with a declining roster.

Darnold: See above, but the roster was absolute trash.

Zach: See above, but with a slightly better roster, but was a smaller, less mature Darnold. 

Drafting a new QB to work with Nare Hackett, Saleh, and whatever other misfits are coaching this "offense" is completely pointless.  

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I did.  A little over a year ago.  For every QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round from 1998-2020:

• Started right away or within 3 weeks:  57 % Bust rate
  • Sat for 4-8 weeks:  72 % Bust rate
  • Sat for 9 weeks - 1 full season:  56 % Bust rate
  • Sat for > 1 full season: 60 % Bust rate

1) Played right away (within first 3 weeks of rookie season) - HITS (12)

• Peyton Manning (1998 - 1.1)
  • Carson Palmer (2003 - 1.1)
  • Ben Roethlisberger (2004 - 1.11)
  • Matt Ryan (2008 - 1.3)
  • Joe Flacco (2008 - 1.18)
  • Matthew Stafford (2009 - 1.1)
  • Cam Newton (2011 - 1.1)
  • Andy Dalton (2011 - 2.35)
  • Andrew Luck (2012 - 1.1)
  • Ryan Tannehill (2012 - 1.8)
  • Derek Carr (2014 - 2.36)
  • Deshaun Watson (2017 - 1.12)
  • Joe Burrow (2020 - 1.1)
  • Justin Herbert (2020 - 1.6)

2) Played right away (within first 3 weeks of rookie season) - BUSTS (16)

• Tim Couch (1999 - 1.1)
  • Quincy Carter (2001 - 2.53)
  • David Carr (2002 - 1.1)
  • Joey Harrington (2002 - 1.3)
  • Kyle Boller (2003 - 1.19)
  • Mark Sanchez (2009 - 1.5)
  • Sam Bradford (2010 - 1.1)
  • Jimmy Clausen (2010 - 2.48)
  • Blaine Gabbert (2011 - 1.10)
  • Robert Griffin IIII (2012 - 1.2)
  • Brandon Weeden (2012 - 1.22)
  • EJ Manuel (2013  - 1.16)
  • Marcus Mariota (2015 - 1.2)
  • Carson Wentz (2016 - 1.2)
  • DeShone Kizer (2017 - 2.52)
  • Sam Darnold (2018 - 1.3)

3) Sat for 4-8 weeks  - Hits (5)

• Charlie Batch (1998 - 2.60)
  • Michal Vick (2001 - 1.1)
  • Alex Smith (2005 - 1.1)
  • Josh Allen (2018 - 1.7)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (2020 - 1.5)

4) Sat for 4-8 weeks  - BUSTS (13)

• Ryan Leaf (1998 - 1.2)
  • Cade McNown (1999 - 1.12)
  • Patrick Ramsey (2002 - 1.32)
  • Byron Leftwich (2003 - 1.7)
  • Vince Young (2006 - 1.3)
  • Matt Leinart (2006 - 1.10)
  • Josh Freeman (2009 - 1.17)
  • Christian Ponder (2011 - 1.12)
  • Blake Bortles (2014 - 1.3)
  • Paxton Lynch (2016 - 1.26)
  • Mitchell Trubisky (2017 - 1.2)
  • Baker Mayfield (2018 - 1.1)
  • Josh Rosen (2018 - 1.10)

5) Sat for 9 weeks - 1 full season  - HITS (7)

• Donovan McNabb (1999 - 1.2)
  • Daunte Culpepper (1999 - 1.11)
  • Eli Manning (2004 - 1.1)
  • Jay Cutler (2006 - 1.11)
  • Patrick Mahomes (2017 - 1.10)
  • Lamar Jackson 2018 - 1.32)
  • Jalen Hurts (2020 - 2.53)

6) Sat for 9 weeks - 1 full season   - BUSTS (9)

• Akili Smith (1999 - 1.3)
  • Shaun King (1999 - 2.50)
  • Rex Grossman (2003 - 1.22)
  • Tarvaris Jackson (2006 - 2.64)
  • JaMarcus Russell (2007 - 1.1)
  • Tim Tebow (2010 - 1.25)
  • Johnny Manziel (2014 - 1.22)
  • Dwayne Haskins (2019 - 1.15)
  • Drew Lock (2019 - 2.42)

7) Sat for > 1 full season  - HITS (6)

• Chad Pennington (2000 - 1.18)
  • Marc Bulger (2000 - 2.168)
  • Drew Brees (2001 - 1.32)
  • Phillip Rivers (2004 - 1.4)
  • Aaron Rodgers (2005 - 1.24)
  • Jimmy Garoppolo (2014 - 2.62)

8 ) Sat for > 1 full season   - BUSTS (9)

• Marques Tuiasosopo (2001 - 2.59)
  • J.P. Losman (2004 - 1.22)
  • Jason Campbell (2005 - 1.25)
  • Brady Quinn (2007 - 1.22)
  • Kevin Kolb (2007 - 2.36)
  • Drew Stanton (2007 - 2.43)
  • Jake Locker (2011 - 1.8)
  • Brock Osweiler (2012 - 2.57)
  • Christian Hackenberg (2016 - 2.51)

By the numbers:

• Started right away or within 3 weeks:  57 % Bust rate
  • Sat for 4-8 weeks:  72 % Bust rate
  • Sat for 9 weeks - 1 full season:  56 % Bust rate
  • Sat for > 1 full season: 60 % Bust rate

So is there any correlation between sitting and success in the NFL?  Not so much.  

You can slow play it as well as anyone. LOL

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Everyone is trying to work this problem backwards... Let's focus on the Jets and the massive sample size they provided to us over the past 24 years...

Pennington: Drafted by Parcells, coached by Dan Henning. Solid roster with good players and even a bit of an offensive philosophy (Power Running game, play action). He did well until he broke. Also, a smart, mature guy that was 24 years old when he finally started in 02.

Sanchez: Young knucklehead paired with a glorified DC that went through 3 OCs in 4 years. 

Zach: See above, but with a slightly better roster, but was a smaller, less mature Darnold. 

Drafting a new QB to work with Nare Hackett, Saleh, and whatever other misfits are coaching this "offense" is completely pointless.  

Rodgers will be the OC when he retires and call plays for Maye or McCarthy

Hackett will be on the staff but in reality just Aaron's drinking buddy 

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Peyton Manning agrees with me on this.  The data agrees with me on this.  Sitting is basically meaningless.  And no one outside of the Packers goes a full season without starting a guy.  It just doesn't happen. 

One of the greatest QBs of all time, winner of 3 of the last 5 super bowls, and drafted 10th overall, and sat a year, happened. I guess we are just supposed to ignore this, because some guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, says it doesn’t happen. 

Gotcha.

Why does everyone kiss your ass, on these boards? Thought you were a bright guy at first. Then saw how you attack those that don’t agree with your ridiculous viewpoints by some kind of “I am funnier and smarter than everyone else and everyone in my path will be destroyed” approach. 

Maybe shut up every once in a while. You aren’t as smart as you think you are.  Friendly word of advice. 

• More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

One of the greatest QBs of all time, winner of 3 of the last 5 super bowls, and drafted 10th overall, and sat a year, happened. I guess we are just supposed to ignore this, because some guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, says it doesn’t happen. 

Gotcha.

Why does everyone kiss your ass, on these boards? Thought you were a bright guy at first. Then saw how you attack those that don’t agree with your ridiculous viewpoints by some kind of “I am funnier and smarter than everyone else and everyone in my path will be destroyed” approach. 

Maybe shut up every once in a while. You aren’t as smart as you think you are.  Friendly word of advice. 

He is great, and your opinion is nuts - Jet Nuts

• Haha 1

... Posted this in another thread ... But it's apropot here ..

"
But ... Maholmes, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, Jordan Love, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kapernick, Michael Vick, Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Chad Henne, Jacoby Brisset.., did not start as rookies.

The list is impressive to say the least ... But ... Maholmes, Rogers, Brees, Brady .. Mt Rusmore

Montana did not start until his sophomore year either .. he didn't suck.

"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Aaron Rodgers did

Rodgers and Love.  2 examples in the last 2 decades of football out of a sea of successful QBs who played right away or within the first weeks of a season.  

Compelling!

5 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I am both funnier and smarter than you and I will only accept your full surrender.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

... Posted this in another thread ... But it's apropot here ..

"
But ... Maholmes, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, Jordan Love, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kapernick, Michael Vick, Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Chad Henne, Jacoby Brisset.., did not start as rookies.

The list is impressive to say the least ... But ... Maholmes, Rogers, Brees, Brady .. Mt Rusmore

Montana did not start until his sophomore year either .. he didn't suck.

"

1) All QBs basically sat pre-Manning.  So the Montana take doesn’t move me.  

2) Brady was a 6th rounder so of course he never would have started right away, hence why I limited the sample to 1st & 2nd rounders. Impressive list for your side otherwise.

3)  My list is pretty impressive too:

• Matt Ryan (2008 - 1.3)
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • CJ Stroud

1) All QBs basically sat pre-Manning.  So the Montana take doesn’t move me.  Impressive list otherwise.
2) Vick DID start as a rookie.  Re-check that.
3) My list is pretty impressive too:
  • Matt Ryan (2008 - 1.3)
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • CJ Stroud
Agreed

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rodgers and Love.  2 examples in the last 2 decades of football out of a sea of successful QBs who played right away or within the first weeks of a season.  

Compelling!

There are just as many QB's that have sucked right out of the gate as well.  When it comes down to it, is more than likely that each player themselves has to be the determining factor as to whether they start, not just a blanket philosophy.   That is what coaching is for.  See if they are ready.  If you don't think so, let them sit.  Let them get acclimated to the speed of the pro's.  Let them learn a professional system (if they didn't play in one).  There are about a dozen factors that ought to go into the decision, not just an approach of "they all should sit" or "they all should start."

And by the way, and this is in no way an insult to your intellect:  I think you agree with Peyton, not the other way around!  

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Aaron Rodgers says hi.

Brett Favre screwing up Rodgers assent to the starting job probably cost GB at least one SB.   GB making the same mistake with Rodgers probably cost them a playoff run last year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think the more plausible explanation is that the Jets can't stop drafting chodes.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

If Maye or McCarthy are there at ten would you take the QB? 

Probably not.  There are potentially 3 special WR talents and several good OTs I’d prefer at that spot.

I would, however, grab a QB in the middle rounds and also add a vet QB2 like Brissett.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably not.  There are potentially 3 special WR talents and several good OTs I’d prefer at that spot.

I would, however, grab a QB in the middle rounds and also add a vet QB2 like Brissett.

I'm really hoping Spencer Rattler lasts until rd 4. 

If we can sign a really good wr2 like Pittman or Higgins and then Draft Bowers. 

At the same time I feel like we're going to be forced to take that Washington ot or Alt if he lasts

• Upvote 2

On 2/20/2024 at 10:21 AM, Warfish said:

Every QB is different and may need different things to succeed. Some are ready day 1. Some clearly aren’t. Those that aren’t should sit and learn till they are ready or till they’re replaced.

It's almost as if they are people with different strengths, weaknesses and levels of experience.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol yes. We’ve been through this Rodgers and Love.  Now do the dozens and dozens of other QBs who sucked despite getting to sit, as well as the many who succeeded out of the gates.

YOU BET!  Can we do the dozens and dozens of QB's who sucked starting right away too!  This game is F-U-N!

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The data says that they suck at no higher a rate than the guys who sit. 

Cool....

So your point is, what exactly?  That it is a crap shoot whether to start them or not as a rookie?  I don't think we need Peyton Manning telling us that.  What if you had competent coaching that would determine whether someone should start right away, and while they are getting ready, you have a competent back-up who can win you some games, help create a winning mentality, and all build success within the franchise?  I bet that could work.