The Worst Scenario for the Jets IMO

lawngnome o-line

We talk about and post about the best scenario...what we want to see when we draft at 4. I want to see what you guys think is the absolute worst scenario.

This is mine

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush - Nothing we could do here, this pick has been decided for months now.

2. New Orleans Saints - Debrickshaw Ferguson - He is our number 1 option IMO, I think he's the best fit for our system and we could use him to solidify our line for years to come. He is perhaps the safest bet and will be able to impact our team immediately.

3 Tennessee Titans - Matt Leinart - He is our number 2 option IMO. He is the QB who is most able to fit into our system right away. He's a proven winner and although he is a "noodle arm", he is bigger and more durable than the other QB's in the draft.

4. New York Jets - We are left with these picks - Mario Williams...great DE, but not necessarily suited for the 3-4 system that we are aiming for. I believe he would be the next best pick solely due to his natural ability, but I don't think he would be the person to fit our system...Vince Young - Wunderlic or not just look how he performed. I remember watching a countdown on the Sports List before the Rose Bowl last year. The number 2 best game in College Football history, and many players coaches and spectators said that his performance in that game was the greatest of all time. Personally I didn't watch that game, but then after I saw the Rose Bowl last year, with all his other accomplishments WHEN IT MATTERED, Young would be solid. People are praising him to be the greatest quarterback to come out of Texas, which I think is a bit of a stretch, but if he is even near what he was in college, he would be acceptable in the NFL...Jay Cutler - he is a pro day machine which has jumped up on the draft chart and until recently was in the conversation to possibly jump into the 3rd or 4th pick. Now he's settled back down to earth and will go either 7th to the Raiders or 12th to the Cards. Anyone who considers him should realize that he is not ready for the team now, and even then, why would you take the 3rd best qb in the draft with the 4th pick, not here, not now...AJ Hawk - #1 LB in the draft, and would create a sick combo with Vilma, but he is a 5-8 pick, and it would be a stretch to grab him here. If we are the 4th pick, let's pick someone with value deserving of that pick.

If we are left with this scenario I say we have 2 choices, grab Williams or Young, or if Tangini doesn't feel that they would work, trade down to either 7 with the raiders or the cards at 10 and grab Ngata to fill that NT spot. Based on the Draft chart, (the beloved draft chart), our 4th pick would be the equivalent of the 7th, and the raiders 3rd and 5th, and the cards' 10th pick and the 42nd (the Cards 1st and 2nd).

Whew I'm gonna take a break now.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this is the worst scenario. If the draft plays out like this I would have no problem with the Jets trading down. When they are on the clock, teams that have a major jones for a specific player will overpay to move up. If we can pick up a first next year or a high second ( I did not consult the value chart!!) this year to move down a couple of spots, I would not complain.

WCS for me would be the same as above, but the Saints take Williams. I want no part of any OT with the fourth pick of the draft. I want an impact player there. Looking at the history of Belichick, Parcells, and even Bradway, the trees where are tandem have fallen from, none of them have ever taken OL that high. All of them have taken DL that high, though. That's the way I believe these guys are leaning as well. The team can then select from OT's at #29 & 35.

If the Jets like Mario, they can take him. If they don't, there'll be some action from the next two teams on the board if they want to slide down. If they're looking at D'Brick there, I don't see anyone looking to trade up for him.

For me, this would actually be one of the better scenarios. The only one better than that would be two QB's coming off the board at #2 & 3.

Tony Boselli?

Anthony Munoz?

Chris Samuel?

Jon Ogden?

Orlando Pace?

Walter Jones?

It isn't sexy. All but Boselli and Samuel played in the Super Bowl. And Boselli came close twice.

Yeah, you might make a mistake. But the odds in a LT turning inot a great player aren't bad. It makes you running game better; it makes you pass protection better.

If this were to play out, either they take Cutler or trade down.

Tony Boselli?

Anthony Munoz?

Chris Samuel?

Jon Ogden?

Orlando Pace?

Walter Jones?

It isn't sexy. All but Boselli and Samuel played in the Super Bowl. And Boselli came close twice.

Yeah, you might make a mistake. But the odds in a LT turning inot a great player aren't bad. It makes you running game better; it makes you pass protection better.

Totally agree...LTs are definitely worth high 1sts. As far as this worst case scenario (and Vince Young is THE worst case scenario) is concerned,I'd think we'd look to move down,and if we can't move down,we'd grab Mario Williams or Ngata...I just have a feeling we won't take a QB in this draft. I dunno,maybe its just wishful thinking,but I just have a hunch.

Tony Boselli?

Anthony Munoz?

Chris Samuel?

Jon Ogden?

Orlando Pace?

Walter Jones?

There are other factors that you have to consider. Correlation is not causation. Unless you can isolate and show that picking an LT took a team to the Super Bowl each time, you can't say that it means anything really. For instance, what I would say is that teams that already have pieces in place may draft an LT high, and as a result they make a SB run afterwards. I'm not saying that's true or the right answer, but it is a possible explanation. That being said, I'd like D'Brick as the pick, since I'm not one of those people that think Adrian Jones is a great LT or something and shouldn't be replaced or moved. I also would love McNeill with the second pick.

Why do people (some) keep saying that Williams would not be a good 3-4 DE? If he isn't, then there isn't one in the entire draft. The similarities between him and Seymour are striking.

I think Williams would be a perfectly good 3-4 DE. I understand the Sey comp even though there are some significant differences--- I think Sey being an inch shorter, 15 lbs heavier better suits him to take on the pounding that a star 3-4 DE faces.

But putting Williams across from Ellis is intuitively appealing, and if he's not as technically proficient or driven as Sey, he's if anything more of a freak athlete. He's not ideally molded for 3-4 DE, but he could be very, very good there....

But make no mistake, what has made Seymour into Seymour is not so much his athleticism and talent, which is merely absurdly good. It's his technique, motor, discipline, and instincts. In short what makes Sey great is that he's a rare athlete and a rare football player.

But that said.... Mario Williams at #4 is a slam dunk... you build from the DL out, and he's the kind of guy you're thrilled to be able to take.... unless....

The key question is can he/will he learn to 2-gap (I'm assuming Mangini's going to move to 2-gap)?

The way he has played up until now is most likely 1 gap, and his strengths are ideally suited for that.... but he has enough of a frame and enough athleticism that there's no reason he can't become a great 2-gapper.... unless his character/intelligence/work-ethic/adaptability cause a problem.

If he did have trouble being a 2-gap DE you'd be royally f****d. A phenomenal DE who blows his assignments but still sometimes makes great plays is a bench player in the 2-gap, or an OLB. Mario looks a little too big and slow to move to OLB.

So you'd have to use him as a 3rd down rusher, change your offense for him entirely, or rest him on the bench if he couldn't learn to 2-gap.

Now that's a risk.

Archived