2024 Yankees season thread

Like I have always said about this team, they are very solid but they HAVE to make some tweaks to this roster.

There is no reason for Gleyber to be on this team anymore. He's a free agent that they arent going to re-sign and he is playing terribly. Enough.

Rizzo also might be shot.  At least put him on the bench for a week and call up Ben Rice. Do something.

The lineup HAS to be upgraded. 

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Like I have always said about this team, they are very solid but they HAVE to make some tweaks to this roster.

There is no reason for Gleyber to be on this team anymore. He's a free agent that they arent going to re-sign and he is playing terribly. Enough.

Rizzo also might be shot.  At least put him on the bench for a week and call up Ben Rice. Do something.

Rizzo *may* be shot? He's hitting worse than Torres, they guy you want to jettison into space. Rizzo is done.

32 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Rizzo *may* be shot? He's hitting worse than Torres, they guy you want to jettison into space. Rizzo is done.

Something is definitely wrong with Rizzo since he had that “concussion” last year. He was grabbing his shoulder in pain when Tatis crashed into him. IMO I’m not sure there even was a concussion. He hasn’t hit a lick since that injury. Also zero power since. Might be a shoulder problem that is being hidden from the public. I’ve never seen a guy grab his shoulder in pain and then the diagnosis is “concussion”. Regardless, he needs to sit and figure things out if possible. 

• Upvote 1

Another big win last night, it's nice to have wins where you can rest your closer. 

The only bad thing I saw was Kahnle was really wild.   A lot of his pitches weren't even close to the strike zone, not even Angel Hernandez could have helped him out with those.

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Stanton has a .288 obp — that is so bad. Yes he has homers but he’s not a consistent bat. The Martian is worth a look at DH etc. 

He 3rd on the Yankees in SLG, 3rd in OPS, tied for 3rd in HR, and 3rd in RBI. His OBP stinks because he strikes out a lot. He doesn't walk much either. He's not an all star but he's not awful for where he hits in a stacked lineup. 

There is also the fact that he's only played more than 140 games once as a Yankee. But you have to consider that he's averaged 40 HR's and 106 RBI's per 162 games as a Yankee. It's hard to argue with the production if he could only stay on the field.

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2024 at 9:27 AM, Barton said:

I can't figure out what happened to Torres. That 35 HR kid is a distant memory. I thought Oswald Peraza would take the spot but he has been terrible with his minor league comeback so far.

The problem with benching Torres is that Rizzo is worse at the plate. The other problem is DJ needs to prove that he can still hit.

Kind of sucks that all of this is costing Oswaldo at bats. He might fizzle out but he has played well so far.

I think a trade for an infield bat is definitely a possibility.

• Upvote 3

This team has to be CAREFULLY managed in the 2nd half and significant tune ups have to be made. 

Lets see if Cashman has the smarts or guts to do it.

We have seen this before where the Yankees have the best record in the 1st half and then play .500 ball in the 2nd half (2022 season)

This team is better than 2022 but significant issues are on the horizon:

1. Luis Gil is not staying in the rotation all year long. So what does that look like? Cole takes his position and you hope Cole stays healthy.

2. Schmidt is coming off the DL at some point. Will he stay healthy and stay in the rotation? They will push his innings to a career high.

3. Stroman, Cortes and Rodon are all seasoned vets but none of them are known reliable horses. All have notable injury histories.

These are good problems to have, as all of these pitchers are doing well but my point is, the Yankees will have to mix, match and manage all of these different workloads for various pitchers and hopefully not screw it up.

The lineup - we already know what the issues are. After the 1-4 of Volpe, Judge, Verdugo and Soto, they are followed by a trio of .215 hitters in Stanton, Rizzo and Gleyber Torres --- sorry, that is not going to cut it. You cant have a 5-7 in the lineup that hits .220 with a .290 obp, collectively. The Yankees almost never have the guts to call up a kid in the minors to see if he can out perform a vet - NEVER. There's Ben Rice to play 1B, Durbin to play 2b and the Martian to DH. All 3 of these kids should see an opportunity but I'd be shocked if ANY of them were given the chance this year. 

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

This team has to be CAREFULLY managed in the 2nd half and significant tune ups have to be made. 

Lets see if Cashman has the smarts or guts to do it.

We have seen this before where the Yankees have the best record in the 1st half and then play .500 ball in the 2nd half (2022 season)

This team is better than 2022 but significant issues are on the horizon:

1. Luis Gil is not staying in the rotation all year long. So what does that look like? Cole takes his position and you hope Cole stays healthy.

2. Schmidt is coming off the DL at some point. Will he stay healthy and stay in the rotation? They will push his innings to a career high.

3. Stroman, Cortes and Rodon are all seasoned vets but none of them are known reliable horses. All have notable injury histories.

These are good problems to have, as all of these pitchers are doing well but my point is, the Yankees will have to mix, match and manage all of these different workloads for various pitchers and hopefully not screw it up.

The lineup - we already know what the issues are. After the 1-4 of Volpe, Judge, Verdugo and Soto, they are followed by a trio of .215 hitters in Stanton, Rizzo and Gleyber Torres --- sorry, that is not going to cut it. You cant have a 5-7 in the lineup that hits .220 with a .290 obp, collectively. The Yankees almost never have the guts to call up a kid in the minors to see if he can out perform a vet - NEVER. There's Ben Rice to play 1B, Durbin to play 2b and the Martian to DH. All 3 of these kids should see an opportunity but I'd be shocked if ANY of them were given the chance this year. 

Agreed about Gil but Cole more than makes up for it and there is always Schmidt. I'm am not worried about the Yankees pitching (for a change.)

I'm also not too concerned about the lineup and I think we will see Dominguez this year. You somehow forgot about Verdugo. You are really just wringing your hand over the bottom of the lineup. It will be fine.

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Agreed about Gil but Cole more than makes up for it and there is always Schmidt. I'm am not worried about the Yankees pitching (for a change.)

I'm also not too concerned about the lineup and I think we will see Dominguez this year. You somehow forgot about Verdugo. You are really just wringing your hand over the bottom of the lineup. It will be fine.

I listed Verdugo in the 1-4 

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

I listed Verdugo in the 1-4 

My bad. I'd include Stanton and call it 1-5. I know his OBP and average are not good but his OPS is almost .800. And when you consider just how good the top of the lineup is, it's hard to get that concerned considering they lead the league in runs scored.

43 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

My bad. I'd include Stanton and call it 1-5. I know his OBP and average are not good but his OPS is almost .800. And when you consider just how good the top of the lineup is, it's hard to get that concerned considering they lead the league in runs scored.

Fair points on Stanton but his BA and OBP are liabilities. Ever seen a team win a world series and their 5th hole hitter bats .215 with .290 OBP?I am guessing that hasnt happened any time recently. He has very little to do with the offenses success. He has a big game once a week, he's not there game after game. The 1-4 has been very good, with Soto and Judge being on superman mode. And asking Judge and Soto to be superman all year long including the postseason is not realistic, even though it could happen. 

If they add a legit RBI hitter in the 5th hole, who doesnt K much and hits for a solid BA, it could take this offense into a LETHAL postseason threat. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

If they add a legit RBI hitter in the 5th hole, who doesnt K much and hits for a solid BA, it could take this offense into a LETHAL postseason threat. 

Any ideas on how they can add a guy like that?

On 6/13/2024 at 10:17 AM, Barton said:

Stanton has a .288 obp — that is so bad. Yes he has homers but he’s not a consistent bat. The Martian is worth a look at DH etc. 

$32 million reasons why Stanton is playing.  He is actually having somewhat a bounce back season but he strikes out way too much.  

They are just waiting for someone to get injured to call up Jasson

Francesa on his podcast was talking about offering Jones and other assets to Oakland for Mason Miller.  Gotta say that idea intrigues me.  Clay moving to 8th inning would cost my fantasy team but our weakness right now is closer

all the nitpicking about our infield and lineup — that’s not our weakness in the playoffs 

44 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Francesa on his podcast was talking about offering Jones and other assets to Oakland for Mason Miller.  Gotta say that idea intrigues me.  Clay moving to 8th inning would cost my fantasy team but our weakness right now is closer

all the nitpicking about our infield and lineup — that’s not our weakness in the playoffs 

Not moving potential stud like Jones for a relief pitcher. But if they can workout a deal with other prospects I’d be all for it.

11 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I want to win a World Series.  Closer is by far our biggest weakness 

They didn’t trade Jones for Corbin Burnes not sure they’ll move him for a closer. But you’re right it is a need 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Any ideas on how they can add a guy like that?

He doesn’t need to be great, just verdugo like. Hit 270 ish, good obp, not a high K rate. JD Martinez would be a massive upgrade over Stanton. As you saw last night, Stanton will consistently chase that outside slider. His at bat quality at times is terrible. He’s a .215 mistake pitch hitter. DJ Lamieheu and Rizzo are both potentially fried. Gleyber we already know is an airhead. This lineup has too many black holes. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

He doesn’t need to be great, just verdugo like. Hit 270 ish, good obp, not a high K rate. JD Martinez would be a massive upgrade over Stanton. As you saw last night, Stanton will consistently chase that outside slider. His at bat quality at times is terrible. He’s a .215 mistake pitch hitter. DJ Lamieheu and Rizzo are both potentially fried. Gleyber we already know is an airhead. This lineup has too many black holes. 

What are the chances the Mets trade JD Martinez to the Yankees? I don't see that ever happening.