NYC Council approves $780M soccer stadium for NYCFC to be built next to Citi Field

Would have Much Preferred The NEW YORK Jets Had Their OWN Stadium There … 

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City officials approved a plan Thursday to build a 25,000-seat stadium for Major League Soccer’s New York City Football Club next to the New York Mets’ stadium, Citi Field.
The $780 million soccer stadium, expected to open in 2027, will anchor a 23-acre (9-hectare) redevelopment project in the Willets Point neighborhood that will also include housing, a new public school, retail stores and a hotel.

The new stadium will be New York City’s first venue dedicated to professional soccer. NYCFC, which won the MLS championship in 2021, currently plays home games at Citi Field or at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

In addition to Citi Field, the soccer venue's neighbors will include the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, where the U.S. Open is played.

The City Council approved the new stadium after decades of failed efforts to transform Willets Point, long a gritty cluster of auto body shops.

City officials have said that the stadium will be privately financed by NYCFC’s owners, who include the Yankees and United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the owner the Manchester City Football Club.

Soccer is stupid and only for people who can't play a real sport where hands need to be used. The score is always 1-0 and it's boring AF. I'd literally rather watch curling -- at least the misery of watching it would be over faster, plus it's hilarious.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Soccer is stupid and only for people who can't play a real sport where hands need to be used. The score is always 1-0 and it's boring AF. I'd literally rather watch curling -- at least the misery of watching it would be over faster, plus it's hilarious.

Oof boomer take

7 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Oof boomer take

I'm a hell of a lot younger than boomers, and even when I was younger, soccer was quite obviously a stupid sport, for people with no hand-eye coordination to still be able to play.

If you lose both your arms and can play it, then it's a stupid sport, like an event tailored for a DH in kickball. 

On 4/12/2024 at 4:34 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm a hell of a lot younger than boomers, and even when I was younger, soccer was quite obviously a stupid sport, for people with no hand-eye coordination to still be able to play.

If you lose both your arms and can play it, then it's a stupid sport, like an event tailored for a DH in kickball. 

You are like 4 years younger than a boomer and 2 years younger than me. Soccer is even worse if your the Fat Italian cousin. They put you in a makeshift fishing net, kick the ball at your nuts and scream Goal every time you move out of the way and they miss your nuts. 

22 hours ago, The Crusher said:

You are like 4 years younger than a boomer and 2 years younger than me. Soccer is even worse if your the Fat Italian cousin. They put you in a makeshift fishing net, kick the ball at your nuts and scream Goal every time you move out of the way and they miss your nuts. 

Meh I go by the strict/original definition: babies born from the boom immediately following WWII.

Regardless, soccer is just awful. I've derived more entertainment from colonoscopy preps.

• Haha 1