Haason Reddick Fines at $8 Million, Could Reach $21 Million

JetNation

Haason-Reddick-scaled.jpg

Jets edge rusher Haason Reddick will be sitting out another contest which will once again, result in a fine of roughly $800,000.  That brings his total fines up to this point to roughly $8 million.

This, according to NFL insider Adam Schefter.

Schefter goes on to say that should Reddick sit out the entire 2024 season, his fines would climb to $21 million.  This could be a possibility as Reddick has reportedly said he is ready to “die on his sword” over the situation.

Additionally, should the edge rusher decide not to play this season, his rights would still belong to the Jets for the 2025 season.

The post Haason Reddick Fines at $8 Million, Could Reach $21 Million appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Haha 1

The Shefter article does a good job breaking out the fines etc.  To me, it is still slightly unclear.  Ther $21mm is obviously a big number.  Of that number:

• $14.25mm is salary is not making.  He is not out of pocket those monies, and I don’t believe he is taxed on it.  The Jets did not have to pay those monies, and they are (currently) saving on the cap.  
  • $4.5mm in fines for not showing up in training camp.  Some of those are mandatory.   Of this, I have two questions:
    • Of this $4.5mm, how much do the Jets have to impose, and what can they waive
    • Who gets paid these monies?  If Reddick did not play at all this season, could he essentially have to come out of pocket $4.5mm in after tax money?  That would be ridiculous.  
  • $3mm in discretionary bonus forfeiture.   Reddick was paid a signing bonus when he signed with the Eagles for a 3 year contract.  He seems reasonable that if he does not report, he has to give some of it back.    Who gets that money?  

If I am JD I would be trying maximize the impact of Reddick while minimizing the expense.  The Jets pay plenty of players for not playing 17 games.  JJII could be paid this year for playing 1.5.     Offer Reddick something like:

• Report as late as possible to accrue the year.
  • Promise him no franchise tag.
  • Waive all fines and forfeitures that are possible.  
  • Give me a raise/game that would help cover his fines.

For the Jets/JD, I think this would serve to:

• Have Reddick make an impact in 2024/help with playoff push as intended.
  • End this mess.
  • Possibly reduce the $14mm cost was costing.  That could be a stretch, but maybe they break even.  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Shefter article does a good job breaking out the fines etc.  To me, it is still slightly unclear.  Ther $21mm is obviously a big number.  Of that number:

• $14.25mm is salary is not making.  He is not out of pocket those monies, and I don’t believe he is taxed on it.  The Jets did not have to pay those monies, and they are (currently) saving on the cap.  
  • $4.5mm in fines for not showing up in training camp.  Some of those are mandatory.   Of this, I have two questions:
    • Of this $4.5mm, how much do the Jets have to impose, and what can they waive
    • Who gets paid these monies?  If Reddick did not play at all this season, could he essentially have to come out of pocket $4.5mm in after tax money?  That would be ridiculous.  
  • $3mm in discretionary bonus forfeiture.   Reddick was paid a signing bonus when he signed with the Eagles for a 3 year contract.  He seems reasonable that if he does not report, he has to give some of it back.    Who gets that money?  

If I am JD I would be trying maximize the impact of Reddick while minimizing the expense.  The Jets pay plenty of players for not playing 17 games.  JJII could be paid this year for playing 1.5.     Offer Reddick something like:

• Report as late as possible to accrue the year.
  • Promise him no franchise tag.
  • Waive all fines and forfeitures that are possible.  
  • Give me a raise/game that would help cover his fines.

For the Jets/JD, I think this would serve to:

• Have Reddick make an impact in 2024/help with playoff push as intended.
  • End this mess.
  • Possibly reduce the $14mm cost was costing.  That could be a stretch, but maybe they break even.  

At least according to the CBA, the $50K/day training camp fines are mandatory.

The per-game fines for missing preseason game are designed to be mandatory as well.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/CBA/March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf

Top of page 248 (emphasis added):

Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp by a player under contract signed as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 9—mandatory fine of $50,000 per day, plus one week’s Paragraph 5 Salary for each preseason game missed. For the avoidance of doubt, any such fines shall be mandatory, and shall not be reduced in amount or waived by the Club, in whole or in part, but must be paid by the player or deducted by the Club as provided in Section 5(b) of this Article.

His mandatory salary is ~$830K/week iirc. It seems, from the text above, that at a minimum the intent was the fines he accrued in August (some $5-6MM) are 100% mandatory.

The $8MM figure adds in the missed workout bonus ($250K) + fines for missing the same spring days Rodgers did when he was in Egypt + the $50K/day fines + the $830K x 3 fines for missing 3 preseason games + of course now another ~$830K/week of nonpayment for missing actual games these first two weeks. The missed games aren't technically fines, though; it's more that the team never paid it. As soon as he returns to the field (for the Jets or for anybody), Reddick must pay the mandatory fines out of whatever he's paid in the future.

The big problem for the team, as I see it, isn't in simply reimbursing him for the fines -- the problem in reimbursing him for the fines (aside from setting precedents any team wants to avoid) is those fines come off the salary cap and have added to such a significant amount. Say they bumped the remainder of the season's pay so - after all the dust settles - Reddick takes home $20MM (for the last 13-14 games). To accomplish that, the team would have to increase his official pay to ~$26MM to cover the preseason fines. So the team can pay his fines, in effect, but those fines come off the cap: officially they'd be paying him $26MM and then from that Reddick owes $6MM in mandatory fines. (I'm not using exact numbers here; just rounding off without looking it up). 

That's on top of setting a precedent any team wants to avoid if it can, which is that a Jets player holding out can feel confident the team will cave and pay those fines for him on top of the bump the player was seeking in the first place. My feeling is it depends on the player. If it's the team's FQB (e.g. Love, Tua); its only serious WR (e.g. Lamb); or the only credible option at LT, and a great one at that (e.g. T.Williams); or a dynamic young edge rusher in whom the team's already made a major investment (e.g. N.Bosa) -- the team can play along all they want but everyone knows they're going to cave, and moreover the kind of contract that gets banged out for such players makes the accrued fines look insignificant (almost an investment by the player). 

Reddick doesn't have zero leverage, but even with JJII's injury doesn't have nearly the leverage of a Love, Tua, Lamb, T.Williams, Bosa, etc. because unlike those guys nobody had - nor has - interest in paying the $25MM/year, with 2+ years guaranteed, that he demanded from Philadelphia (otherwise one other team would've easily outbid the Jets when that trade went through in late March). 

The most unfortunate parts of this ordeal (as I see it) are:

• Douglas traded away JFM based on Reddick playing; otherwise they probably would've worked something out.
    • I can shrug off a 3rd round pick two seasons into the future, seeing how this sorry franchise's last consensus plus-starter drafted in round 3 was Demario Davis back in 2012 (who took some 6 seasons to come into his own himself). 
    • but trading JFM based on Reddick was something that affects this season. Also the trade allowed both players to squeeze the team at the same time because, in the time to sort things out from the date of the Reddick trade, the team had to carry some $27MM+ for both Reddick and JFM, giving leverage to each player to not budge. 
  • While plenty of guys elect to not participate, Reddick acted like he had the leverage of irreplaceable starters & made the negotiation far more difficult to proceed by holding out instead of holding in. If he held in, some $5MM in absolute mandatory fines above wouldn't apply, and there'd be a lot more middle ground to work with. IOW there was a loophole provided, in the form of a hold-in, and Reddick flushed it down the toilet. 

Hard to see where things proceed from here. 

• Upvote 1