Haloti Ngata

PeterNorth09

I know all the talk right now is about Mario Williams and A.J Hawk and while those guys are nice I don't think they will help our defense out as much as many of you believe.

DE's are a little overrated. No offense to guys like Julius Peppers and Michael Strahan but the sack has to be the most overrated statistic in football. Kind of like the "save" in baseball. If a guy averages 10 sacks a year (John Abraham) he's considered a superstar. Yet, those 10 sacks represent only 10 plays he broke up. 10 plays out of how many hundreds of plays a year?

I understand you can still rush and hurry a qb but blitzes do basically the same thing.

I know alot of you are high on AJ Hawk and I can see why, however, if the Jets draft Hawk who is going to line up at DT to protect him and Vilma? Robertson is injury prone and looks like a bust and none of the other DT's on the roster are proven.

If any of these trade down rumors have any truth to them it looks like Mangini and Tannenbaum are interested in trading down and getting Haloti Ngata. That move makes a lot of sense. Ngata is huge, athletic, has a good head on his shoulders and makes plays.

Remember a few years ago when Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington came out in the draft how everyone was gizzing on those two? Yet Corey Simon, who was taken after them, has had a much bigger impact in the NFL.

I want Vernon Davis at #4. However, if we take Ngata there or trade down for him I would still be happy.

I know all the talk right now is about Mario Williams and A.J Hawk and while those guys are nice I don't think they will help our defense out as much as many of you believe.

DE's are a little overrated. No offense to guys like Julius Peppers and Michael Strahan but the sack has to be the most overrated statistic in football. Kind of like the "save" in baseball. If a guy averages 10 sacks a year (John Abraham) he's considered a superstar. Yet, those 10 sacks represent only 10 plays he broke up. 10 plays out of how many hundreds of plays a year?

I understand you can still rush and hurry a qb but blitzes do basically the same thing.

I know alot of you are high on AJ Hawk and I can see why, however, if the Jets draft Hawk who is going to line up at DT to protect him and Vilma? Robertson is injury prone and looks like a bust and none of the other DT's on the roster are proven.

If any of these trade down rumors have any truth to them it looks like Mangini and Tannenbaum are interested in trading down and getting Haloti Ngata. That move makes a lot of sense. Ngata is huge, athletic, has a good head on his shoulders and makes plays.

Remember a few years ago when Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington came out in the draft how everyone was gizzing on those two? Yet Corey Simon, who was taken after them, has had a much bigger impact in the NFL.

I want Vernon Davis at #4. However, if we take Ngata there or trade down for him I would still be happy.

You know who the best player is in this draft, Peter?

Obviously it's Reggie Bush, but you know who the second best player is in this draft, IMHO?

You touched on it in this post ... Vernon Davis

Some folks cringe at the idea of drafting a TE in the TOP 5 ... I'm normally one of them ... sort of an unwritten rule that you just don't invest TOP 5 Picks on certain positions, and I know the rules

HOWEVER, every now and then someone comes along for whom you would be wise to throw away the rule book ... like oh say, OG John Hannah going #1 Overall ... and IMO Vernon Davis is one of those guys

You know who the best player is in this draft, Peter?

Obviously it's Reggie Bush, but you know who the second best player is in this draft, IMHO?

You touched on it in this post ... Vernon Davis

Some folks cringe at the idea of drafting a TE in the TOP 5 ... I'm normally one of them ... sort of an unwritten rule that you just don't invest TOP 5 Picks on certain positions, and I know the rules

HOWEVER, every now and then someone comes along for whom you would be wise to throw away the rule book ... like oh say, OG John Hannah going #1 Overall ... and IMO Vernon Davis is one of those guys

I don't really view Davis as a Tight End. His game is more like a wide receiver's and if we do end up drafting him I think Mangini would be in the best position to start him at WR.

19617775.jpgAlien_vs._Predator_195_medium.jpg

What's up with Ngata's knee injury? I'm not clear on that.

:cheers:

he tore his ACL in freshman year on punt coverage so far away from the play no one has ever seen it on film.

He came back says the knee is stronger than ever, proved it on the field.

In the bowl game he got cut blocked and left the game but it turned out to only be a sprain/bone bruise situation.

For some context, Broderick Bunkley, who most people say is better *cough cough* had several knee surgeries including ACL and MCL tears.

as of today,

Jets have NO NT on th team..I wanted them to sign Sam Adams...

So they are goinmg to move to the 3-4..at least sometimes....

so they definately need a NT..

They must grab Ngata or Gabe watson...

as of today,

Jets have NO NT on th team..I wanted them to sign Sam Adams...

So they are goinmg to move to the 3-4..at least sometimes....

so they definately need a NT..

They must grab Ngata or Gabe watson...

They drafted that fat slob out of Utah ast year.

Bottom Line is we need a NT or DT of some sort. Otherwise, our run defense is going to suck like Jasmine St. Claire at a gangbang.

If we don't draft Ngata at 4 there are options. Gabe Watson may fall to #29.

Sleeper DT's I like are Dusty Dvoracek, Montavious Stanley and Le Kevin Smith. Those guys have the size and technique to be good run stuffers.

Archived