The Jets potential move to 13 and who it should be for

YJF

Everyone is talking about the potential Jets/Ravens trade that would put The Jets at 13. If The Jets use 29 and 35 to move up, In my opinion, It should be for Manny Lawson or Winston Justice.

It's simple, If you draft Mario Williams at 4, You take Justice at 13. If you draft Ferguson at 4, You take Lawson at 13.

The issue with giving up 29 and 35 is that you almost have to take a QB now with one of your two #1's because if you pass on QB. You have to wait until the top of The third round to address The QB position. It's a roll of the dice that Croyle, Whitehurst or Clemens will be there at the top of round three. One of them might be there, maybe................................................... It's a gamble.

Unless this is a great smokescreen. It's obvious that The Jets have Jay Cutler as their #1 QB in this draft and he's followed probably by Kellen Clemens. Clemens is picking up steam fast. Ron Jaworksi who is a QB guru and has been on the mark with alot of QB prospects, has Clemens as his best QB in this entire draft.

I gotta trust The new Jets regime on this one but I am not a big Jay Cutler guy. Haven't been from the start. I love his tools but I think he's like a fastball pitcher who throws 100 mph but tends to lose the strike zone from time to time. The guy was 11 and 34 in college and was an erratic passer. He has poor mechanics and makes stupid throws. I don't like his anticipation skills. He needs refinement and he's the kind of guy who I believe is stubborn and set in his own ways. He's a gunslinger with a strong gun but with no concept of how to use it properly.

Here's where I will give Cutler credit. I like his moxy and his ability to run a 2 minute offense. In this draft, He's the best 2 minute offense QB hands down.

I like where The Jets are and the only thing I would do is trade down from 4 and pick up more picks but if we move up, I want it to be for Lawson, Justice or one of the top two NT's.

I actually rarely disagree with you, but this is one of those times.

Its pretty obvius the grades of players 13-40 are very similar. Now those numbers I just wrote pretty much is the range after the "Elite" players end, and there are all first round graded players.

Now if you think Winston Justice is an Elite Player then Fine, but Manny Lawson is definetly not. The guy is 233 now, and like Brick just ballooned for the combine. He has a real problem gaining weight, and Justice has character issues. Those character issues is why hes not being picked higher. So while Justice is debatebly a Elite player, Lawson is merely a first round grade.

If were giving up two picks that are considered 1st round grades, it would only be if the Jets FO are doing so because one of the Elite Players slip.

That would be Ngata, or Cutler.(As most rate them as consensus Elite players)

But I dont think anyone has to worry about that. 13 is an arbitrary number and this trade is NOT going to happen. Why?

Well, the real teams that could get Cutler are the Rams, and Arizona at 10, and 12. The next one is at 17 which is Minnesota. So wouldnt we be going after 9, or 16?

All im saying is this rumor has SMOKESCREEN written all over it.

The only trade up I could picture is moving our third round pick up to the mid second round. Reason being is that would be the cheapest, and there would be a big difference in grade. Especially if you consider the mid second round to be the cut-off for First round graded players.

I actually rarely disagree with you, but this is one of those times.

Its pretty obvius the grades of players 13-40 are very similar. Now those numbers I just wrote pretty much is the range after the "Elite" players end, and there are all first round graded players.

Now if you think Winston Justice is an Elite Player then Fine, but Manny Lawson is definetly not. The guy is 233 now, and like Brick just ballooned for the combine. He has a real problem gaining weight, and Justice has character issues. Those character issues is why hes not being picked higher. So while Justice is debatebly a Elite player, Lawson is merely a first round grade.

If were giving up two picks that are considered 1st round grades, it would only be if the Jets FO are doing so because one of the Elite Players slip.

That would be Ngata, or Cutler.

But I dont think anyone has to worry about that. 13 is an arbitrary number and this trade is NOT going to happen. Why?

Well, the real teams that could get Cutler are the Rams, and Arizona at 10, and 12. The next one is at 17 which is Minnesota. So wouldnt we be going after 9, or 16?

All im saying is this rumor has SMOKESCREEN written all over it.

The only trade up I could picture is moving our third round pick up to the mid second round. Reason being is that would be the cheapest, and there would be a big difference in grade. Especially if you consider the mid second round to be the cut-off for First round graded players.

Manny Lawson will not play regular DE in the pros. Jets need to get an outside pass rusher for their defense. If they don't get Mario Williams at 4, At some point in this draft. That area must be addressed. Lawson is the perfect fit in my opinion as a 3-4 Edge Rushing Outside Linebacker.

I agree that if The Jets make the move to 13. It will be for Cutler or Ngata but I'd take Justice or Lawson.

Manny Lawson will not play regular DE in the pros. Jets need to get an outside pass rusher for their defense. If they don't get Mario Williams at 4, At some point in this draft. That area must be addressed. Lawson is the perfect fit in my opinion as a 3-4 Edge Rushing Outside Linebacker.

I agree that if The Jets make the move to 13. It will be for Cutler or Ngata but I'd take Justice or Lawson.

Oh no, I definetly understand that.

But OLB's are alot heavier then 230 unless its 4-3.

Merrimen is 270, Colvin is listed as 250 from years ago but he put on more weight atleast around 260, Foley is heavy, ummm, Demarcus Ware has gained weight since being drafted at 250.

Were actually pretty lucky as those tweener 3-4 OLB are plentiful in this draft.

The guy going before Lawson will probably be Wimbley who should be great in the Pro's. Then theres a few that are equal like Carpenter, Lawson etc.

But the Guys Ham, and I and a few others think the Jets are going after is Chris Gocong.

Hes an overachiver, extrememly smart, protypical size, strong etc. I believe he will be our target at 2.5 as we had 2 visits with him.

If you want more info from him YJF, please go to the sticky's on the top to the thread "Mock draft contest".

But the Guys Ham, and I and a few others think the Jets are going after is Chris Gocong.

Hes an overachiver, extrememly smart, protypical size, strong etc. I believe he will be our target at 2.5 as we had 2 visits with him.

If you want more info from him YJF, please go to the sticky's on the top to the thread "Mock draft contest".

Aside from the fact that Gocong possesses the prototypical size you look for in a 34 LB, here's the only stat you need to know ... 41 Sacks in 23 Games

Wanna put that in perspective?

I don't care if you tell me that happened in pop warner, 41 Sacks in 23 Games is so obscene that a man like Gil Brandt, who has been scouting for a hundred years, cannot recall anyone who approached 41/23 in all of his years in scouting, at any level ... and that's just one of the reasons Brandt ranks Gocong extremely high for a small school stud, even ahead of Mathias Kiwanuka

Lastly, as you pointed out MM, Jets have met with Gocong more than once and Gocong is under the impression the Jets are preparing to draft him at #35 Overall ... and I believe it, because he also has great character and reeks of the type of player mangini claims to love

If we pulled off the Raven trade (which I don't believe for a second), one of the following combos would be fine with me (in the following order of preference)...

1) Leinart at #4, Davis at #13 (QB and TE for the next 10-12 years)

2) AJ at #4, Davis at #13

3) Mario at #4, Davis at #13

Otherwise, if we don't pull off the trade, is there a way we can get Winston, Davis, and Mangold? That would be half a starting offensive line (including the next Tony G) in one draft ...

hmm lemme see, 49ers @ #6 or Cards @ #10.

I can see SF.

Don't think Arizona if there's a QB Available, which there might be.

You're probably right, though. I think the guys too talented to be there at #13. SF will probably scoff him up, especially with Turner pushing for it.

Where's he going?

49ers have just about commited to taking Davis. He was on the radio saying they told him he is they're man. Even if they don't take him I doubt he drops past the Raiders since they aren't getting Young or Leinart.

Archived