NFL Rookie Salary Cap Pool

SeniorFlaJet

The New York Jets were allocated $6,631,295 from the NFL salary cap

pool to pay for this years draftees.

Now a week or so ago in a discussion about paying for the draftees

I said this was a separate allocation and I commented that it was

a magical compilation similar to compensatory picks.

I think it was TX who agreed with me on this.

Someone then came along, I don't remember who and said I was wrong

that it came from each teams cap figure. I didn't argue because i

didn't know where to look to refute it. However today the league came

out with the figure for paying the draftees for each team includig the Jets.

I was right!!!!! I still got it. LOL

I didn't make the argument, but, my belief is that this IS NOT extra money that gets added on to your cap, if that is what you are arguing(?) Maybe I misunderstand your point.

This represents a cap for each team, based on what position order in teh draft that they chose. It allows slotting to stay in place, as well it creates an incentives for rookies to sign, before the money is used up.

Think Scott's right on this one. It doesn't mean we got an additional $6.6M in cap room. It means that we are allowed to use up to $6.6M of our cap room to sign our drafted rookies. Since we have somewhere in the neighborhood of $13M in cap room, that means after our rookies are signed (assuming we use up the entire $6.6M on them) we'll be about $6.5M under the 2006 cap. It doesn't mean we are now $19-20M under the cap and can spend whatever we want on our draftees.

Guys, the statement reads "Allocated under the 2006 rookie salary

cap pool". to me that means there is a pool of money that

is being given to each team.

If your saying that we reduced our current cap postion by 6mm. What if

we didn't have any money left in our salary cap???

Then you have to get rid of players to make room. See the Titans with McNair as a perfect example.

We had two first-rounders.

49ers had 2 first rounders. a million difference between 49ers and Jets(high).

Texans with 5.3.

49ers with 5.6. 6th, 22nd and 84th selections.

Jets with 6.6. 4th, 29th and 49th selections.

I dont understand this math of allocation.

Yes, that is why , often (not needed as much this year though), teams are dumping players to get in shape before the draft-They must be under cap to fit their rookies in.

You state that this number seems arbitrary-IT IS NOT. It is based on league measures of overall salaries, and the number is based on the overall league. Then it is divied up based on the picks that you have and is adjusted for compensation picks and things like that.

It is there for several reasons-

-To not allow rookie salaries to spiral out of control

-To ensure that veterans still get their share of th epie

-To limit hold-outs, as rookies see that there is a fixed number that they can have.

Don't get me wrong, contracts can still be invented, but they are limited to some degree. It protects owners against themselves, helps vets get their share of the overall cap and incents rooks to sign in an expedient manner

NO.

You were WRONG.

The Jets can spend 6.6M to sign their rookies, but it COUNTS AGAINST THEIR SALARY CAP JUST LIKE ANY OTHER PLAYER WOULD. They have 12.9M free, and after they sign their rookies, they'll have at least 6.3M free.

I copy and paste the paragraph from enquirer (Bengals local news)

Rookie pool

Each year, the NFL issues each team a total dollar figure representing the maximum salary-cap space a team is allowed to spend on signing draft picks and undrafted free agents.

A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks. Teams that hold higher picks are allocated more dollars per pick than teams that hold lower picks.

The Bengals' rookie pool was $3.462 million in 2005 when the salary cap was $85.5 million. Now that the cap for 2006 has ballooned to $102 million, the Bengals are expected to be allowed about $4 million in their rookie pool, though the exact figure is not available until after the draft.

49ers had 2 first rounders. a million difference between 49ers and Jets(high).

Texans with 5.3.

49ers with 5.6. 6th, 22nd and 84th selections.

Jets with 6.6. 4th, 29th and 49th selections.

I dont understand this math of allocation.

Texans 1, 33, 65, 66, 98, 170, 251

49ers 6, 22, 84, 100, 140, 175, 192, 197, 254

Jets 4, 29, 49, 76, 97, 103, 117, 150, 189, 220

The thing is, once you get into the 4th round & beyond, there isn't much difference in salaries. They're all making right around the league minimum and don't get much of a signing bonus. Look how it only cost us like $80K to cut Pagel. Figrure everyone after round 4 costing about $300K; 3rd & 4th rounders between $300-400K; 2nd-rounders just under $1M; late 1st rounders about $1-2M; high 1st-rounders (particularly in the top-5 or so) probably in the neighborhood of $3M (big SB but they'll have a very low salary).

As you get into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th years of these contracts you will start to see the huge difference between a #1 pick anda #4 pick, or a #4 pick and a #29 pick, etc. But as rookies, none of them eat up a ton of cap room except those in the top of the first round.

But if you look, the Jets & Texans had roughly the same picks to sign through their first 4 picks. But we had 3 more picks than they did, and they were higher. At $300-$400K apiece, that would give us ~$1M more cap allocation to sign the three. Jets vs 49'ers we had 1 more pick than they did & it was a 2nd-rounder plus one of our 3rd-rounders matches up with one of their 6th rounders; that would give us about $1M more for those 2 players as well.

Actually it makes perfect sense when you think about how much each player's rookie cap # will be.

Texans 1, 33, 65, 66, 98, 170, 251

49ers 6, 22, 84, 100, 140, 175, 192, 197, 254

Jets 4, 29, 49, 76, 97, 103, 117, 150, 189, 220

The thing is, once you get into the 4th round & beyond, there isn't much difference in salaries. They're all making right around the league minimum and don't get much of a signing bonus. Look how it only cost us like $80K to cut Pagel. Figrure everyone after round 4 costing about $300K; 3rd & 4th rounders between $300-400K; 2nd-rounders just under $1M; late 1st rounders about $1-2M; high 1st-rounders (particularly in the top-5 or so) probably in the neighborhood of $3M (big SB but they'll have a very low salary).

As you get into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th years of these contracts you will start to see the huge difference between a #1 pick anda #4 pick, or a #4 pick and a #29 pick, etc. But as rookies, none of them eat up a ton of cap room except those in the top of the first round.

But if you look, the Jets & Texans had roughly the same picks to sign through their first 4 picks. But we had 3 more picks than they did, and they were higher. At $300-$400K apiece, that would give us ~$1M more cap allocation to sign the three. Jets vs 49'ers we had 1 more pick than they did & it was a 2nd-rounder plus one of our 3rd-rounders matches up with one of their 6th rounders; that would give us about $1M more for those 2 players as well.

Actually it makes perfect sense when you think about how much each player's rookie cap # will be.

thanks.

NO.

You were WRONG.

The Jets can spend 6.6M to sign their rookies, but it COUNTS AGAINST THEIR SALARY CAP JUST LIKE ANY OTHER PLAYER WOULD. They have 12.9M free, and after they sign their rookies, they'll have at least 6.3M free.

aec's exactly correct. I was the one who mentioned this in the original thread that the rookie pool allocation is part of the salary cap, not an exception to it.

Archived