Brad Smith faster than advertised

Green Jets & Ham

Via the Bergen Record {Randy Lange}

Brad Smith cleared up some confusion over his 40-yard speed, listed by one draft source as 4.54 seconds. "My fastest time at Missouri was 4.36," he said. "At my pro day I ran a 4.38 and a 4.44. At the combine I was 4.46." He attributed the 4.54 to probably the slowest stopwatch at his pro day.

Is it possible for this kid to learn both the wr AND qb positions or is that just a ridiculous task? I suppose a truncated version of both is more likely if at all but I'm not sure.

Say it with me. Brad Smith is in no way, shape or form an NFL QB. You might as well get comfortable with that fact before you get any other crazy ideas. He's going to be a WR project much like Randle El, Seneca Wallace and Eric Crouch. There is about a 50/50 shot that it will work.

Say it with me. Brad Smith is in no way, shape or form an NFL QB. You might as well get comfortable with that fact before you get any other crazy ideas. He's going to be a WR project much like Randle El, Seneca Wallace and Eric Crouch. There is about a 50/50 shot that it will work.

I don't know massa, but he sho nuf does want to play sum qb.

So no, I don't think its impossible.

I don't know massa, but he sho nuf does want to play sum qb.

So no, I don't think its impossible.

Where did that come from? :eek: Seriously though. Eric Crouch wanted to play QB too as did Kordell Stewart. You saw how that worked out.

Keep in mind that Eric Crouch is currently looking to play quarterback in Canada...

I know he is. Michael Bishop also played QB in Canada. If Smith is looking to play QB I guess he knows where he needs to go.

Smith was adamant about wanting to play QB at the combine. Teams passed on him as a result. I'm pretty sure it was Gil Brandt who said that the kid would've been a second round pick if he he worked out as a willing WR there.

I suspect he's come to an understanding about his situation since.

This quote is from today's NY Times:

After being drafted in the fourth round to be a receiver, Smith said, he decided it was better to be in the N.F.L. as a receiver than not to be in the N.F.L. at all.

"Coach Mangini and all the other coaches have said just come in and do what you can and try to fit in on this team and try to help the team more than you try to help yourself," Smith said. "That's what I'm doing, just let my natural ability try to make up for what my skills lack as far as the nuances of playing the position. Then as I learn, I can catch up."

Sure would be nice to get a second round talent with a fourth round pick at WR, instead of a fourth round talent with a second round pick.

Archived