Jet rookies get rolling

TaborJet

Jet rookies get rolling

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Breaking from the team's past training-camp routine, new Jets coach Eric Mangini has an early reporting date for rookies - today, seven days ahead of the veterans.

Mangini and his staff will welcome the rookies for a week of conditioning and classroom work - an orientation, so to speak. The rest of the team is due to report July 27, with two-a-day practice sessions set to begin at Hofstra the following day. Under former coach Herm Edwards, rookies and vets reported on the same date.

The Jets and Eagles, who also begin today with rookies reporting, are the first two teams out of the gate. None of the Jets' 10 draft picks is signed and, presumably, they won't participate until they're under contract. Talks with top pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson, chosen at No. 4, are in the early stages.

New GM Mike Tannenbaum, who has been negotiating the Jets' contracts since 1997, never has failed to get a first-round pick signed on time, save for a brief contract dispute by James Farrior in 1997.

Originally published on July 20, 2006

After reading this article again I don't understand why the draft picks

wouldn't participate in this camp. The writer used the word "presumably". It's only a conditioning and orientation week.

They all participated in mini camp where there was some banging around.

I think they will all show up.

After reading this article again I don't understand why the draft picks

wouldn't participate in this camp. The writer used the word "presumably". It's only a conditioning and orientation week.

They all participated in mini camp where there was some banging around.

I think they will all show up.

For mini-camps there is some canned contract all of the rookies sign to participate; basically protects them against injuries. I agree that some or all of the draft choices will be around for the class work and such this week, but I doubt there will be any working out in the complex and obviously no hitting. There is probably a NFLPA rule against it, but I haven't tracked it down yet...

Sounds like there won't be much in teh way of hitting or 7 on 7 drills, or stuff like that. More like an orientation of how things are done around here, and what each one is expected to do.

By the end of the week, before the vets report, they will all be signed, IMO.

Archived