Chad: The Karate Kid

Preston Howley III

I do -- more than a hobby than anything else - Started when I was 40 and now I am 45 -- my stamina and my shape have improved alot over the last couple of years -- but I did fail my black belt test last month -- too much nerves I guess -- I will go again in March with a better attitude --

Chad's taking martial arts to strenghten his legs, and give him more agility in his throwing motion, by using his entire body to increase torque.

Chad should try and track down Sandy Koufax, who can probably give him some points on increasing velocity.

Just curious, anybody here ever participate in martial arts training?

:Typotux:

I did for about a year or so. My schedule just got to hectic and couldn't go as often as I had been. I was in the best shape I've ever been during that time, though. It was the best workout I've ever had. I think of going back all the time.

I did for about a year or so. My schedule just got to hectic and couldn't go as often as I had been. I was in the best shape I've ever been during that time, though. It was the best workout I've ever had. I think of going back all the time.

I did when I was younger also. I have to agree that I was in the best shape I was ever in. Damn I need to start up again.

I took Karate lessons from this old guy in town from Okinawa. The bastard had me painting his fence nad house, cleaning his cars, and sanding his deck. When it was all said and done I still got my ass kicked by Johnny. Still not sure what the hell it all had to do with karate.

I do -- more than a hobby than anything else - Started when I was 40 and now I am 45 -- my stamina and my shape have improved alot over the last couple of years -- but I did fail my black belt test last month -- too much nerves I guess -- I will go again in March with a better attitude --

I started Tae Kwon Do when I was 38. I've been training for almost two years, but I'm leaning towards changing horses in main stream- and practice Shotokan.

I've visited a few Karate schools, and it's a better fit for me, personality wise. The philosophy of Karate is about never striking first, never attacking. I love how Karate emphasises blocking teqniques, and self defense.

Tae Kwon do emphasises back spinning kicks to the head. And thats great if you are violent and aggressive, and want to become dangerous, to boot. That's not my scene. I started martial arts because I was out of shape, and needed a good, cardiovascular workout that wasn't boring. I didn't get into it to learn how to hurt somebody.

I don't mean to generalize, it's just that from my own experience, I have seen a distinguishable difference between the two.

Thats why I asked if anybody else has ever taken martial arts, to see if they have had a similar experience.

I took tae kwon do for a few years, havent done it since my freshman year.

I got the black belt and stopped soon after. Dbrick also does martial arts, which is great too.

Thats a shame, Barton. You spent all that time, and your parents spent all that money, to put you through that, and then you quit after finally earning a black belt?

It just strikes me as an example of that TKD mindset, that acquiring the black belt somehow is the peak of the mountain, and that there is this tangible transition between the red and the black. I guess some people get into it with that as the goal, and once they achieve the goal, that's it. I don't look at this as a race to the finish line, because there is no finish line. I see people that are eager to advance, as if the darker color belt means more than what is going on inside of you. When I advanced from yellow to green, I didn't even want to take the test. I felt like I was being rushed through the process. My school wants me to take the blue belt test in December. Maybe they know what they are doing, and maybe I don't. Maybe this is how the process works, and the only way to advance somebody through these stages is to push them. If it was up to me, I'd say I'm not ready.

I've been to Karate schools where students are still white belts after one year, and orange belts after two years. And their amount of training and the level of intensity is equal too, if not greater than, the training we recieve at TKD. To be quite candid, I felt embarrassed to wear a green belt inside that school.

Barton, how many tournements did you participate in? Do you know its a common practice for TKD schools to enter red and black belts into sparring matches as yellow and green belts?

Where is the integrity in that? What kind of martial arts are you teaching a student, when that student "earns" a trophy by pretending to be a lesser belt?

Thats a shame, Barton. You spent all that time, and your parents spent all that money, to put you through that, and then you quit after finally earning a black belt?

It just strikes me as an example of that TKD mindset, that acquiring the black belt somehow is the peak of the mountain, and that there is this tangible transition between the red and the black. I guess some people get into it with that as the goal, and once they achieve the goal, that's it. I don't look at this as a race to the finish line, because there is no finish line. I see people that are eager to advance, as if the darker color belt means more than what is going on inside of you. When I advanced from yellow to green, I didn't even want to take the test. I felt like I was being rushed through the process. My school wants me to take the blue belt test in December. Maybe they know what they are doing, and maybe I don't. Maybe this is how the process works, and the only way to advance somebody through these stages is to push them. If it was up to me, I'd say I'm not ready.

I've been to Karate schools where students are still white belts after one year, and orange belts after two years. And their amount of training and the level of intensity is equal too, if not greater than, the training we recieve at TKD. To be quite candid, I felt embarrassed to wear a green belt inside that school.

Barton, how many tournements did you participate in? Do you know its a common practice for TKD schools to enter red and black belts into sparring matches as yellow and green belts?

Where is the integrity in that? What kind of martial arts are you teaching a student, when that student "earns" a trophy by pretending to be a lesser belt?

The TKD tournaments were always in north florida so I never could go.

My parents couldnt just stop working for a week, plus the travel costs, for a tournament.

My friend goes to a different tkd school, probably a tuffer school to get your belts. Breaking boards was really fun though, I liked that. You got 2 chances to break a board at your testing, if you didnt break that, you failed, but you could retest in 3 months (I think). Pretty easy once you gey your form pattern down and if you go the necessary 4 times a week.

The TKD tournaments were always in north florida so I never could go.

My parents couldnt just stop working for a week, plus the travel costs, for a tournament.

My friend goes to a different tkd school, probably a tuffer school to get your belts. Breaking boards was really fun though, I liked that. You got 2 chances to break a board at your testing, if you didnt break that, you failed, but you could retest in 3 months (I think). Pretty easy once you gey your form pattern down and if you go the necessary 4 times a week.

Do me a favor if you get a chance. Visit a Karate school, ask if you can sit in for a class (a trial offer, don't have to pay anything) and tell me what you think. ;)

Archived