Rich Rodriquez to The Crimson Tide

JetCane

Could be wrong, but it's looking like this will be a done deal, since Saban reportedly turned down the Bama gig.

Now it's also looking more like Miami willl stay within and promote Randy Shannon to HC. His first huge task will be to find an OC who can get it done.

I'll update later if i hear anything else.

Posted on Thu, Dec. 07, 2006email thisprint thisUM chooses Shannon as head football coachBY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN, BARRY JACKSON AND MICHELLE KAUFMAN

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

The University of Miami has a new head football coach.

UM defensive coordinator Randy Shannon accepted the position Thursday, according to a well-placed university source.

An announcement by UM is scheduled for Friday.

Shannon, 40, a Miami native, becomes only the sixth black head coach in Division I football. He replaces Larry Coker, who was fired last month after six seasons.

Shannon graduated from Norland High and then UM in 1989. He was a member of the 1987 Hurricanes national championship team and an 11th-round draft choice of the Dallas Cowboys in 1989. Shannon was a Miami Dolphins defensive assistant in 1998 and 1999 before becoming Miami's linebackers coach in 2000.

He returned to UM in 2001 as defensive coordinator, and became the first UM coach to win the Frank Broyles Award that year as the top assistant in college football. Shannon's defenses have been outstanding every season, including this one, in which UM (6-6) is ranked fifth in total defense, fourth in rushing defense and 12th in scoring defense. Shannon's son, Xavier Shannon, is an offensive lineman for Florida International University.

After practice Thursday, UM job candidate Mike Leach, head coach at Texas Tech, declined to speak with the media.

Could be wrong, but it's looking like this will be a done deal, since Saban reportedly turned down the Bama gig.

Now it's also looking more like Miami willl stay within and promote Randy Shannon to HC. His first huge task will be to find an OC who can get it done.

I'll update later if i hear anything else.

Whats your take on that Bama gig. Long time ago this would be a no-brainer, but you think Rodriguez is making the right move?

I like RR, and he's done a real good job working in that sh1thole morgantown. I think he's done well at other places too (Clemson OC iirc?) and he could put together a good team with Bama's resources. He is a strong enough personality to stand up to some of those redneck boosters, too.

btw, there are 1600 people logged on at the Canes board LMAO

http://mb28.scout.com/fmiami20779frm1

I like RR, and he's done a real good job working in that sh1thole morgantown. I think he's done well at other places too (Clemson OC iirc?) and he could put together a good team with Bama's resources. He is a strong enough personality to stand up to some of those redneck boosters, too.

btw, there are 1600 people logged on at the Canes board LMAO

http://mb28.scout.com/fmiami20779frm1

I hear ya on Rodriguez, I was pretty impressed with his job at WVU

1600? hahahah hows the take on this Randy Shannon guy

Posted on Thu, Dec. 07, 2006email thisprint thisUM chooses Shannon as head football coachBY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN, BARRY JACKSON AND MICHELLE KAUFMAN

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

The University of Miami has a new head football coach.

UM defensive coordinator Randy Shannon accepted the position Thursday, according to a well-placed university source.

An announcement by UM is scheduled for Friday.

Shannon, 40, a Miami native, becomes only the sixth black head coach in Division I football. He replaces Larry Coker, who was fired last month after six seasons.

Shannon graduated from Norland High and then UM in 1989. He was a member of the 1987 Hurricanes national championship team and an 11th-round draft choice of the Dallas Cowboys in 1989. Shannon was a Miami Dolphins defensive assistant in 1998 and 1999 before becoming Miami's linebackers coach in 2000.

He returned to UM in 2001 as defensive coordinator, and became the first UM coach to win the Frank Broyles Award that year as the top assistant in college football. Shannon's defenses have been outstanding every season, including this one, in which UM (6-6) is ranked fifth in total defense, fourth in rushing defense and 12th in scoring defense. Shannon's son, Xavier Shannon, is an offensive lineman for Florida International University.

After practice Thursday, UM job candidate Mike Leach, head coach at Texas Tech, declined to speak with the media.

I think this is a great idea, I knew he was eventually going to be a head coach I'm just happy that he stayed at Miami.

I think this is a great idea, I knew he was eventually going to be a head coach I'm just happy that he stayed at Miami.

He has his flaws like anyone else, but

I like him and think he will do a good job if he can put together a staff that is as good as he is.

gg beat me to it. I just posted the same article.

Sorry RU fans. WVU will be as good as ever next year.

I think RR is a wvu alum, which is the only explanation for why he'd opt to willingly stay in that dump of a town.

And you can bet he extracted a sizeable raise and got whatever concessions he wanted. Good on him, he's a good coach.

I think RR is a wvu alum, which is the only explanation for why he'd opt to willingly stay in that dump of a town.

And you can bet he extracted a sizeable raise and got whatever concessions he wanted. Good on him, he's a good coach.

I think you are right about him being an alum.

At least they stopped burning couches in Morgantown a few years back. Have you heard about that?

I think you are right about him being an alum.

At least they stopped burning couches in Morgantown a few years back. Have you heard about that?

I hadnt heard they stopped. Quick story about that slimy dump:

When I was there for a game a few years ago, first of all, visiting fans have to walk to the stadium under umbrellas because the "fans" throw things at them, including coins and bottles. After the game the natives got restless and tried to tip the players' bus over and almost succeeded. Then, one of them threw a garbage can at one of the assistant coaches, which hit him in the head and knocked him out. He had to be taken to the hospital. The coach was Randy Shannon.

I hadnt heard they stopped. Quick story about that slimy dump:

When I was there for a game a few years ago, first of all, visiting fans have to walk to the stadium under umbrellas because the "fans" throw things at them, including coins and bottles. After the game the natives got restless and tried to tip the players' bus over and almost succeeded. Then, one of them threw a garbage can at one of the assistant coaches, which hit him in the head and knocked him out. He had to be taken to the hospital. The coach was Randy Shannon.

You were a brave man to go to Morgantown. Your experience doesn't surprise me one bit.

In Australia we call "fans" like that feral.

This is a very good day for the Big East. First Schiano and now Rodriguez obviously believe they can win on a year to year basis in this conference.

Of course they can when they play South Florida, Cincy, Pitt, UConn and Syracuse every year!

Looks like this was INCORRECT. Rodriguez staying at WVU as he receieved a 2 year contract extension through 2014.

Yes Alabama still looking for a coach-this is another no win job to follow Bear Bryant you will never satisfy their alumni and boosters.

Yes Alabama still looking for a coach-this is another no win job to follow Bear Bryant you will never satisfy their alumni and boosters.

There's no doubt Bama is a bigger stage than wvu, just like Miami is a bigger stage than Rutgers. It's easier to stay put in comfortable surroundings. The bama faithful may be the hardest to please in the nation, even though they play in the hardest conference. But if you cant beat Auburn, you'll never last there.

Archived