How many times have we beaten Oakland

timbok

from nfl.com

The Raiders own an 18-12-2 edge in the all-time series, including playoffs, but it still sticks in the craw of Oakland fans that the Jets won the biggest game of all. It was only six weeks after the Heidi Game, in the AFL Championship Game at Shea Stadium on Dec. 29, 1968.

A brutally cold and windy day didn't prevent the Raiders' Daryle Lamonica and Jets' Broadway Joe Namath from filling the raw winter air with footballs. Lamonica completed 20 of 47 passes for 401 yards and a touchdown. Namath completed 19 of 49 for 266 yards and three scores. Namath picked on rookie cornerback George Atkinson, who was trying to cover Don Maynard -- a future Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver who caught six passes for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

The Raiders held a 23-20 lead when Namath hit Maynard for a 6-yard touchdown with 7:47 remaining for a 27-23 advantage.

"We know Atkinson is going to be a good player," Namath said after the game. "But we have a veteran going against a rookie and we felt we could exploit him."

The Raiders, who were trying to reach the Super Bowl for the second successive season, weren't finished, however.

Lamonica competed passes of 24 yards to Fred Biletnikoff and 37 yards to Warren Wells, and the Jets were penalized for a personal foul to put the ball on the New York 12 with a little more than two minutes remaining. In the huddle, Lamonica called a play the Raiders had worked on all week and saved for just such a situation.

"We saw a weakness in their defense that we thought we could take advantage of," Lamonica recalls. "We put in a quick screen to Charlie Smith, like a flare pass. We practiced it all week and thought it would be a big play for us."

The timing was off from the start, however, and Lamonica floated the ball over Smith's head into the right flat -- a throw that was ruled to be a lateral. Linebacker Ralph Baker scooped up the ball, and in a New York minute the Jets had a date with destiny and the Baltimore Colts in the Super Bowl.

"Charlie got turned around a little and I had to get rid of the ball," Lamonica says. "I called the play and I threw the ball, so I take responsibility. But the play was there. If we had executed, I think we would have scored a touchdown. I'd call the same play again.

"If I could have one throw back in my career, that would be it."

The Jets went on to shock the established National Football League by upsetting the heavily favored Colts 16-7 in Super Bowl III.

Namath guaranteed the victory beforehand and explained why afterward.

"The big one was winning the AFL Championship Game," he said. "Once we beat the Raiders, we knew we could beat the Colts."

Lamonica got a measure of revenge on Dec. 6, 1970, at Shea Stadium when he threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to Wells with one second remaining for a 14-13 victory.

Wells was covered by Earlie Thomas and Steve Tannen, but the Oakland receiver reached between the defenders and tipped the ball to the back of the end zone, where only he could get it.

"That was one of the greatest plays and greatest catches I've ever seen," Lamonica said. "It was all or nothing. I just had to throw the ball into the end zone and hope."

Lamonica and Namath put on another show on Dec. 11, 1972, before the Monday Night Football cameras at Oakland.

Namath completed 25 of 46 passes for 403 yards and a touchdown, but the Raiders walked off with a 24-16 victory.

"What I remember about that game was Namath was sacked by Art Thoms and practically had to be carried off the field," said Raiders executive assistant Al LoCasale, who has been with the organization since 1969. "It looked like he was through for the night.

"But the next time the Jets got the ball, he came limping back out onto the field and fifty thousand fans in Oakland gave him a standing ovation."

Despite that feel-good moment, there was plenty of bad blood in the rivalry.

The Raiders' Ike Lassiter once broke Namath's jaw with a hit, even though fellow defensive end Ben Davidson got the blame. Namath refused to give either credit.

"I ate a tough piece of steak in the pregame meal," Joe Willie told reporters through a swollen cheek after the game.

Maynard caught seven passes for 131 yards in that Monday night game to become pro football's all-time leader receiver at the time. Then, in the fourth quarter, Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano delivered a shot that broke Maynard's nose.

Several of the Jets called it a cheap shot, but Villapiano swears it was an accident.

"When I was a rookie, we were playing Kansas City in the [next-to-last] game of the season," he says. "I didn't check Otis Taylor at the line on a big play near the end of the game and he caught a pass to set up a field goal that beat us and knocked us out of the playoffs. I made up my mind that nobody would do that to me again.

"On the play against Maynard, I went out to check him and he tried to juke me. He had that single-bar facemask. I was wearing gloves with pads inside and hit him right in the face, but I was just trying to jam him.

"[Jets' coach] Weeb Ewbank came running out there screaming and yelling. Atkinson told him to get off the field. That's just the way it was. It was the Jets and the Raiders."

Heidi notwithstanding, this rivalry was for adults only.

I'm not sure when that was written, but i think it's 19-13-2 now.

The Raiders have a 19 -3 record. But the Jets have won 3 of 4. huh? Would that mean that the Jet lost the 1st 19 and won the next 3? It is obviously wrong.

because remember playoff records count as well. they beat them in the 1968 playoff game.:P

I'm not sure when that was written, but i think it's 19-13-2 now.

That would make sense. Can't find it on the Jets site now (saying 19 - 3). So maybe they removed it. The Jets site is so damn hard to navigate. If anyone can find the 19 and 3 text on nyjets.com please give me a link. I want to mention it to them.

Thanks.

That would make sense. Can't find it on the Jets site now (saying 19 - 3). So maybe they removed it. The Jets site is so damn hard to navigate. If anyone can find the 19 and 3 text on nyjets.com please give me a link. I want to mention it to them.

Thanks.

Some stuff online?

hold on i'm going to check inot wikipedia.

Some stuff online?

hold on i'm going to check inot wikipedia.

Looks like it is definitely 19 - 13 - 2. Some writers even mentioned that in their articles this morning. Just looking for the incorrect version on the Jets site that I copied\pasted. This way I can point it out to them so they can change it.

Archived