Raiders interested in QB McCown

faba

McCown makes sense

Posted by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer on March 27th, 2007

One of the rumors at the NFL owner's meeting in Arizona is that the Raiders are interested in making Josh McCown their quarterback for the second straight year.

McCown, you may recall, visited the Raiders facility last year but opted to sign a two-year, $6 million deal with the Detroit Lions to compete for the starting job with Jon Kitna.

I've had my doubts about virtually every veteran quarterback headed the Raiders way since the release of Aaron Brooks, and am of the opinion Andrew Walter will need a chilling out period of at least a year to recover from the trauma of the Tom Walsh-Art Shell offense.

Jeff Garcia was too old and impatient for a rebuilding team. Aaron Rodgers has barely played. David Carr isn't of a mind to sign on some place where he would have to be replaced by JaMarcus Russell or compete with another young quarterback down the road.

If the Raiders were interested in Joey Harrington, he'd be on the team by now.

There are still questions as to whether Daunte Culpepper will ever be healthy enough to be the quarterback he was in 2004.

Jake Plummer is property of Tampa Bay and sounds serious about staying retired.

Houston gave up way too much for Matt Schaub, considering his experience.

Jacksonville appears determined to give Byron Leftwich another year.

Drew Bledsoe? Haven't you had enough of statues behind center?

The McCown rumor started on Sirius Satellite Radio with NFL.com correspondent Pat Kirwan, who may have inside information or may simply be making an educated guess. Either way, it's worth noting Kirwan is extremely close to the USC football program, and is often on the sidelines during games. He's good friends with Pete Carroll and knows Lane Kiffin.

So even if Kirwan is making an educated guess, his backround of knowledge is probably better than most.

Besides, it just makes sense.

Since McCown spent the entire season watching Kitna play in 2006, he won't be like Garcia and Carr in that he would be worried about looking over his shoulder should the Raiders land Russell or Brady Quinn.

Since McCown is in the last year of his contract, he could use the season to build up a resume as a starter in anticipation of hitting the open market in 2006.

Since McCown did not sign with the Raiders last year, he was spared exposure to the Great Debacle. Instead, he spent a season learning under Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz, and although he didn't play, he is much better off than had he started in Oakland.

With the Raiders, McCown is virtually assured of helping rejuvenate the offense. The Raiders only scored 12 offensive touchdowns last year. You can count on them being much better simply because duplicating that kind of ineptitude is not possible.

McCown is big (6-foot-4, 212 pounds), young (27), mobile and has a strong throwing arm. He did some good things in Arizona, where Dennis Green was notoriously hard on quarterbacks and not known for being patient.

If Kiffin is as good with an offense and quarterbacks as Al Davis says he is, then let's see him work some magic with McCown.

If McCown works out and the Raiders don't draft Russell or Quinn, the Raiders could sign him to a contract. If the Raiders draft Russell or Quinn, McCown and Walter could provide a bridge until the new quarterback is ready.

Including compenstatory selections, the Raiders have 10 draft picks, including two third-round picks, two fifth-round picks and two seventh-round picks.

It shouldn't take much to get McCown from the Lions, especially if Detroit has its eyes on Quinn at No. 2.

not that mccown is any good, but does russel have an nfl mentality? the raiders would be better off drafting calvin johnson, brady quinn or joe thomas. to succeed they have to get players with good character and talent. now, knowing the senility of al davis, it wouldnt be impossible to see reggie ball being drafted #1. i love seing the raiders suffer.

not that mccown is any good, but does russel have an nfl mentality? the raiders would be better off drafting calvin johnson, brady quinn or joe thomas. to succeed they have to get players with good character and talent. now, knowing the senility of al davis, it wouldnt be impossible to see reggie ball being drafted #1. i love seing the raiders suffer.

I have always liked McCown, I think he has a good killer instinct. I would really like to see him start somewhere that is not Arizona, Detroit or Oakland. If he gets his chance to play with a decent team (wheather that is because of injury or not) he will do fine.

I've heard all this talk about the Raiders drafting Calvin Johnson. That makes no sense to me. Don't you need a QB to get the ball to him?

The Raiders should take Russell or Quinn. They need a QB.

I think everyone forgets that the Raiders were in the Super Bowl 4 years ago.

The Raiders are fast becoming the Lions of the AFC.

Taking a QB number 1 in the draft has not turned out too well that often- the risk is larger unless they are absolutely sure of those guys as much as you can be Johnson is the most talented.

i don't think russel has the mentality. you really wanna know who comes to mind, ryan leaf. big arms, big body and mind by mattel. brady quinn has the mentality to correct his accuracy problems, but russel came to the combine out of shape! but, russel really wouldn't have trouble fitting in with that dump of busts we call the raiders. im calling quinn and stanton to be the best qbs. john beck will be the third and be a journeyman starter.

Archived