Can we put this offseason in perspective, folks?

Jetsfan80

After the draft was over tonight, ESPN kept the team-by-team picks tracker up and running during Sportscenter. I wanted to watch and see who they were saying our "key loss" of the offseason was, as they did for each team. The "key loss" for the Jets they chose was PATRICK RAMSEY. That's right. Patrick f'n Ramsey, a perennial backup QB.

I may not be a genius, but when a backup QB is your biggest loss in an offseason, for a team that just went to the playoffs, it cannot be all that bad. The way some would interpret things based on comments on this board, one would think Jets fans expect to go 8-8 and finish behind a 13-3 Patriots team. I just simply don't believe that.

We added Thomas Jones. We added two players who, apparently, were very high on our front office's big board in Darrelle Revis and David Harris. We have more cap room than we will ever need, and have 4 months to wait for another quality player to fall into our laps, after watching teams run around like chickens with their heads cut off, throwing money at aging veteran after aging veteran as well as overhyped players in what ended up being a sellers market.

The Patriots were one of these teams, paying way too much for a guy that is 29, and isn't good enough to be GREAT at any one position, but good enough to be a "swiss army knife" of sorts and play as many as 7 in the Ravens system. Will this translate to New England? Maybe. But after seeing how much AdaliusThomas was getting offered, I feel that this front office was smart in being patient and waiting. Super Bowls are not won in free agency, folks.

And then, the Pats traded for Randy Moss. Immediately the media has taken this story by a stranglehold. The Pats are now the team to beat.

This begs the question; exactly what was the reason that the Pats got Moss so cheaply? Why would the Raiders just dump off one of the most prolific WR's of all time to a fellow AFC team (whose fans have hated them ever since they lost to NE in 2001) for such a small price? In addition, with talented rookie Jamarcus Russell coming on the scene, why on earth would they take away what would be his primary weapon?

Simple. Just like the previous 2 teams and several coaches before him, they got tired of him. People like Randy Moss don't change. He has feuded with every coach he played under. Bill Belicheck will be no different. People have made excuses for him, saying that it just takes the right personality to keep him in check. This is a myth. Moss is the common denominator in the equation. He just doesn't get it. Luckily for New England, a clause was placed in his contract, basically saying that if Randy takes a step out of line, he's a goner. Smart decision.

But Randy has 4 whole months for opportunities to take that step out of line, a long summer. Will he show up to camp? If he doesn't get into trouble off the field, if he doesn't upset the chemistry in the locker room, just how much is left in his 31-year old body? This may be low risk, high reward for NE. But if I'm not mistaken, even a restructured deal on Moss will be expensive, and there has to be a necesarry cap hit if Moss does indeed get cut, right?

So the point I'm getting to, in a round-about way, is this: Why are we panicking? Why are we assuming the worst about this upcoming season? "Tangini" has methodically done their job this offseason, quietly assembling a strong, cohesive unit without dumping all our cash on some aging stiff who doesn't deserve it.

And as we all know, this is how championships are built. Not by spending like the Yankees. Not by making a big splash in the media. You do it by putting the best 22 guys on the field that are willing to play their roles and grind it out each and every day. I think we have this, and I'm not going to mince words when I say it. This is a Super Bowl-caliber team we will be sending out this season. And when we do win that ring, even if it isn't this year, against all these goliaths around us, it will be all the more special.

That yankee stuff is BS. The mets spend money too but i guess their FA spending is OK while when the yankees do it it's trying to win the "wrong" way. give me a break.

I will not deny that the Mets spend a great deal of money. My point was that there are smart ways to spend money and not so smart ways to spend money. Lately, the latter has been true with the Yankees.

Even you cannot deny this.

I made this comparison to show that spending wildly does not win championships in the NFL. The Jets did not do this, and it is one of the reasons why I am a steadfast supporter of this front office.

My point was that there are smart ways to spend money and not so smart ways to spend money. Lately, the latter has been true with the Yankees.

Even you cannot deny this.

No. Their problems is because of bad personnel moves, not trying to overspend. They CUT payroll this offseason. Comparing baseball and football makes no sense anyway, it's a completely different framework.

No. Their problems is because of bad personnel moves, not trying to overspend. They CUT payroll this offseason. Comparing baseball and football makes no sense anyway, it's a completely different framework.

Are you sure about this? Overspending by teams like the New York Rangers, New York Knicks, and Washington Redskins have resulted in failures. Its a common theme.

In any case, "bad personnel moves" is included in this argument. Spending stupidly. The fact that the Yankees cut payroll does not make them immune to this. And I would not hesitate to apply this type of bad decision making to the NFL.

Are you sure about this? Overspending by teams like the New York Rangers, New York Knicks, and Washington Redskins have resulted in failures. Its a common theme.
Comparing teams from different sports with different financial rules makes zero sense. You just hate the yankees and you want to tweek yankee fans while the team is playing badly.

Comparing teams from different sports with different financial rules makes zero sense. You just hate the yankees and you want to tweek yankee fans while the team is playing badly.

Clearly that is not the case because my post was not about the Yankees, which you have ignored. You saw "Yankees" and a negative reference and tried to call me on it.

And I absolutely CAN compare teams from different sports, just like you can compare any business. There are good ways to run a business and bad ways to run one that are common to all, even sports franchises.

Clearly that is not the case because my post was not about the Yankees, which you have ignored. You saw "Yankees" and a negative reference and tried to call me on it.

And I absolutely CAN compare teams from different sports, just like you can compare any business. There are good ways to run a business and bad ways to run one that are common to all, even sports franchises.

So you're saying that the yankees are an example of a badly run business?

So you're saying that the yankees are an example of a badly run business?

No, I said that the Jets are a well-run business and that we should not panic just because other teams have appeared to improve their teams dramatically by free agent signings. That was the overriding point of the thread.

The Yankees churned out 4 championships in a 5 year period. They've been to the postseason every year since 1995. Only recently has their championship drought made them come under scrutiny. And I believe the reason that has occurred is because they did what so many fans like to see: sign the best players you can to win NOW. That is not the right approach.

They are a very well-run business. But even the best businesses make poor decisions.

I think the Pats have done so this offseason, and the Jets have made better decisions for the future of the franchise.

No, I said that the Jets are a well-run business and that we should not panic just because other teams have appeared to improve their teams dramatically by free agent signings. That was the overriding point of the thread.

The Yankees churned out 4 championships in a 5 year period. They've been to the postseason every year since 1995. Only recently has their championship drought made them come under scrutiny. And I believe the reason that has occurred is because they did what so many fans like to see: sign the best players you can to win NOW. That is not the right approach.

you're the one who brought up the yankees as the way you're glad the jets arn't run...

you're the one who brought up the yankees as the way you're glad the jets arn't run...

Right, and I AM glad that's not the way they are run, because it does not win championships. You build through the draft and by finding interchangable or complementary parts for your system. You don't go after the most prolific free agent and sign him for ridiculous amounts (like San Fran did with Nate Clemens, NE did with Adalius Thomas). That usually leads to quick downfall.

Right, and I AM glad that's not the way they are run, because it does not win championships. You build through the draft and by finding interchangable or complementary parts for your system. You don't go after the most prolific free agent and sign him for ridiculous amounts (like San Fran did with Nate Clemens, NE did with Adalius Thomas). That usually leads to quick downfall.
The Jets wish they were as unsuccessful a franchise as the yankees.

The Jets wish they were as unsuccessful a franchise as the yankees.

Incredibly, you still miss the point! I would never question that the Yankees have been a well-run business for many years; they went from a few-million dollar franchise to a multi-billion dollar enterprise under Steinbrenner.

But the model of trading prospects for the best available players or building a team by signing them has come and past. Why do you think so many Yankee fans want Brian Cashman gone? Their system in the mid-to-late 90's worked; no superstars. The new system hasn't. The new system isn't what won the Yankees 26 World Titles. Only a mad man would disagree with this!

So for the same reason, I refuse to panic when the Pats trade for Randy Moss and sign Adalius Thomas. This model just does not work in the NFL. It is a young man's game, a scout's game really. So unless NE's draft picks pan out nicely, I don't fear them.

Incredibly, you still miss the point! I would never question that the Yankees have been a well-run business for many years; they went from a few-million dollar franchise to a multi-billion dollar enterprise under Steinbrenner.

But the model of trading prospects for the best available players or building a team by signing them has come and past. Why do you think so many Yankee fans want Brian Cashman gone? Their system in the mid-to-late 90's worked; no superstars. The new system hasn't. The new system isn't what won the Yankees 26 World Titles. Only a mad man would disagree with this!

They want cashman gone because he's picked the wrong players and made bad trades recently. It's not a money issue.

They want cashman gone because he's picked the wrong players and made bad trades recently. It's not a money issue.

Of course its a money issue; he's making good money to do what he does, and spending the money they have unwisely. That's exactly the point I'm making. Spending IN ITSELF is not the problem, spending it WITHOUT GOOD FORESIGHT is the problem.

Of course its a money issue; he's making good money to do what he does, and spending the money they have unwisely. That's exactly the point I'm making. Spending IN ITSELF is not the problem, spending it WITHOUT GOOD FORESIGHT is the problem.

No. It's a player evaluation player. Not a money issue.

No. It's a player evaluation player. Not a money issue.

Until players stop making money, its a money issue, too mike. If a player does not pan out, its wasted money that could have been spent elsewhere. It ALWAYS comes down to money in this world. Can you not grasp this concept?

great original post from 80-in fact I agree POTW nom and good job also by 80 in TRYING to keep it in the JetsTalk part of the site and NOT a baseball thread even though the analogy with the Yankees (my team) IS correct IMO-I also think we have a great shot at the Championship this year

Until players stop making money, its a money issue, too mike. If a player does not pan out, its wasted money that could have been spent elsewhere. It ALWAYS comes down to money in this world. Can you not grasp this concept?

You treat this FO like last year and this year's free agent periods didn't exist.

Yeah, we will just wait for a big time player to fall into our laps come June 1st.

Because the Jets have been SO aggressive in free agency. I suppose we will do that just like we moved McCareins/Barrett/Barton yesterday.

I never said we were aggressive in free agency. And since they were not, and did NOT trade these players, I can only assume they believe this roster to be very close to being complete. Also, I don't think we would have gotten much at all for any of those players.

The only position of true need right now is RT. There's a chance that this was addressed by adding Jacob Bender, but adding another veteran into the mix could not hurt. June 1st cuts always produce some decent talent to grab.

Otherwise, where exactly do you see the holes? I think you've judged this offseason far too quickly, Troll.

Archived