Trent Green still in limbo

faba

Dolphins, but the Chiefs won't lower their asking price.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

fSaid Kansas City Chiefs QB Trent Green: 'The longer this goes on, the more frustrated I'm going to

Trent Green said he doesn't think he will be wearing a Chiefs jersey next season. He wants to wear a Dolphins jersey instead. And until he does, he said he will feel ''awkward'' and ``strange.''

There's just one problem with all of those recent declarations from this frustrated quarterback: If you haven't yet noticed, it doesn't matter what Green thinks, wants or feels.

Despite continued public pleas to be traded Tuesday after Kansas City's first offseason practice, Green's situation remains the same. The Dolphins want to give less than the Chiefs are willing to accept.

''The longer this goes on,'' Green told reporters in Kansas City, Mo., on Tuesday, ``the more frustrated I'm going to get.''

Nonetheless, Green still arrived to the Chiefs' practice prepared to participate, partly to fulfill his contractual obligations and partly to attempt to force general manager Carl Peterson to trade him.

The Chiefs, who can't restrict Green from participating, are taking a risk by keeping him on the roster. If Green gets injured, the Chiefs would be forced to pay his $7.2 million salary for next season because they couldn't release him.

That's certainly not what Kansas City wants, since coach Herm Edwards has made it publicly clear Brodie Croyle would get a chance to compete for the starting job -- as would Damon Huard, who re-signed with the team this offseason.

''I've been in the league long enough,'' Green said. ``When you see those comments over the course of several months, and you see the way the reps are going to work out, and you see what Brodie's making, what Damon was re-signed for and what I'm making, it's not a fair competition.

``It's a weighted competition.''

For now, however, the Dolphins have remained firm in their efforts to give up no more than a sixth-round pick for Green. And Peterson, who wants a fourth-round pick, isn't budging, either.

''It's not only awkward for me and my family, but it's awkward for the guys in the weight room, in the locker room, on the practice field,'' Green said. 'I'm here every day. People ask, `What's going on?' Guys don't know how to react to me, how to treat me [in terms of leadership].''

Still, as Green has learned, business decisions don't often take personal feelings into account. And even once a team finally budges, Green said he has not been told whether he would immediately take over as the Dolphins' starting quarterback.

''[The Dolphins] haven't said, `You're the guy, come right in,'' Green said. ``They haven't told me one way or another. I just know I would have a much more fair chance, for my mind. Because here, it's obviously weighted.''

Whenever it happens whether it be today, tomorrow, next month, July or whenever, Trent Green is going to be the starting Quarterback for the Miami Dolphins Week 1 wearing #10 in that ugly aqua marine / white jersey / pants.

I feel bad for him, here is a guy who works hard and is a very good player when he's on the field. He get's an injury and all of a sudden they don't want him anymore. I'll want out just as bad as he does too if I was him.

Well Herm did want to trade LJ, I find that really bad.

As dumb as Herm is that actually wouldn't be a bad move - IF they got a top 15 pick for him in next year's draft. LJ wants a new contract and reportedly he wants Ladainian Tomlinson money, even though behind that deteriorating line he'll probably end up getting Cedric Houston yards.

As dumb as Herm is that actually wouldn't be a bad move - IF they got a top 15 pick for him in next year's draft. LJ wants a new contract and reportedly he wants Ladainian Tomlinson money, even though behind that deteriorating line he'll probably end up getting Cedric Houston yards.

TOP 15 ? LJ is much better then that, sure he might be a problem in the locker room but he is a player that you could count on and trust when he's on the field.

Archived