Whew, Mangini wasn't whacked...Neil Best

Jetfan13

Someone had to do it, so I broke the news early last night to Eric Mangini:

The Emmy Award presentations are Sept. 16 in Los Angeles, the same day his Jets play in Baltimore.

"That's OK," he said. "I don't think they give awards for non-speaking parts."

Mangini was being modest. He nailed his cameo on the penultimate episode of "The Sopranos" on Sunday night, his most compelling acting since a stint last year on another of his favorite shows, "Sesame Street."

In a scene taped Feb. 8 at Silvercup Studios in Long Island City, Mangini and his wife, Julie, dined at Artie Bucco's fictional restaurant, where Artie informed Tony Soprano that "Mangenius" was in the house.

Tony said he should go over to say hello, which he did, in a series of shots seen only from a distance. Mangini was seen clearly in profile, but Julie only from behind.

"The back of her hair looked really good," the coach said sheepishly.

Mangini called himself "a huge fan of the show" but is not entirely sure why he was invited. "They're very secretive about how scripts evolve," he said.

He initially thought it was a joke when he learned he was wanted. It was not, and two days later, he was on the set. Julie, an avid Bruce Springsteen fan, was most excited about meeting Steven Van Zandt, who plays Soprano's consigliere, Silvio.

Left unexplained in the script was why Mangini was dining in New Jersey.

"It could have been after a game," he said. "We didn't explore the motivation very deeply."

And why did Soprano act as if he knew him? Did it have something to do with the bet Tony made on the Jets earlier this season before a fictional 42-10 rout of the Chargers?

"I was pleased with that," Mangini said, meaning the final score, not the betting part.

The coach and his wife kept the cameo a secret from all but a few close friends. Now he can fully bask in the honor of taking part in one of the most honored shows in history, after only one season as a head coach in New York.

"It was fantastic," he said. "I love the show and just have always respected the story lines and think it's incredibly well done ... I'm disappointed it's coming to an end."

30296908.jpg

I think it was really cool, period.

Here is the dumbest thing I've ever seen written, by MSg's resident Dumbass Anthony Fuccilli. How could Mangini do business with those corrupt,evil people at Time/Warner HBO-the same people who produce a weekly highlight show for the NFL?

http://blogs.msg.com/anthony_fucilli/

June 04, 2007

What was he thinking?

New York Jets Head Coach Eric Mangini took some time out of his busy schedule last season to film a cameo appearance in The Sopranos. And like Coach Mangini, I, too, am a big fan of the made for HBO series about an organized crime boss living in New Jersey.

In the latest episode - a bloody one at that - Mangini is eating with his wife at Artie Bucco's when it's pointed out to Tony Soprano that "Man-genius" is right across the restuarant, which makes Tony want to go over and say hello.

What I'm wondering is what the first-year coach was thinking about, and what Commissioner Roger Goodell thought about an NFL head coach putting himself in a series (fictional, I know) that promotes gambling, murder, organized crime, and so on.

A few weeks ago on the show Tony was talking about betting on the Jets with his wife Carmella's money. Now I know Eric Mangini probably wasn't informed of that by David Chase and company, but it is questionable judgment and inappropriate for someone who represents the NFL to actually let them use him in an episode.

Let's just imagine for a second it was Roger Goodell, or New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine instead. How about Pacman Jones hanging out at the Bing?

Look, I know it's not real, but they were able to use his association with a mob boss and gambling on the Jets and tie it all together.

The NFL has done it's best to disassociate themselves from gambling. You just wonder what Coach Mangini was thinking, or in this case, not thinking.

I think it was really cool, period.

Here is the dumbest thing I've ever seen written, by MSg's resident Dumbass Anthony Fuccilli. How could Mangini do business with those corrupt,evil people at Time/Warner HBO-the same people who produce a weekly highlight show for the NFL?

http://blogs.msg.com/anthony_fucilli/

June 04, 2007

What was he thinking?

New York Jets Head Coach Eric Mangini took some time out of his busy schedule last season to film a cameo appearance in The Sopranos. And like Coach Mangini, I, too, am a big fan of the made for HBO series about an organized crime boss living in New Jersey.

In the latest episode - a bloody one at that - Mangini is eating with his wife at Artie Bucco's when it's pointed out to Tony Soprano that "Man-genius" is right across the restuarant, which makes Tony want to go over and say hello.

What I'm wondering is what the first-year coach was thinking about, and what Commissioner Roger Goodell thought about an NFL head coach putting himself in a series (fictional, I know) that promotes gambling, murder, organized crime, and so on.

A few weeks ago on the show Tony was talking about betting on the Jets with his wife Carmella's money. Now I know Eric Mangini probably wasn't informed of that by David Chase and company, but it is questionable judgment and inappropriate for someone who represents the NFL to actually let them use him in an episode.

Let's just imagine for a second it was Roger Goodell, or New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine instead. How about Pacman Jones hanging out at the Bing?

Look, I know it's not real, but they were able to use his association with a mob boss and gambling on the Jets and tie it all together.

The NFL has done it's best to disassociate themselves from gambling. You just wonder what Coach Mangini was thinking, or in this case, not thinking.

whoever wrote this article needs a swift kick in the nuts

whoever wrote this article needs a swift kick in the nuts

No that wouldn't help, they need someone to pull that stick out of their ass.

It's fictional, does this boob actually think actors endorse violence or what not? That normal adults can not differentiate between fantasy and reality?

Archived