Carter gets new deal from the Nets

faba

ts, Carter Agree to $60M Over 4 Years

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20070701T232528Z"));28 minutes agoUPDATED 1 MINUTE AGO

TRENTON, N.J. - Vince Carter and the New Jersey Nets have the framework in place for a four-year contract that guarantees the All-Star more than $60 million, according to a person with knowledge of the deal.

Word of the deal came Sunday, though the person spoke on condition of anonymity because under league rules the agreement can not be announced until July 11, the first day free agents can sign.

A day earlier the Nets announced Carter had opted out of the final year of a contract that would've paid him $16.3 million next season. Team officials, though, had said they were optimistic the 30-year-old swingman, who will be entering his 10th season, would return to New Jersey.

Since the playoffs ended, Carter has been practicing at the team's facility in East Rutherford, and he also had invited teammate Nenad Krstic to visit his Orlando, Fla., home this week to practice together. And Bruce Ratner, the team's owner, has been a strong supporter of Carter and has said he wanted him resigned.

Carter and the Nets had been talking about a contract for the past month.

Gary Sussman, a team spokesman, did not immediately return a message left Sunday night seeking details of the agreement. However, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported on its Web site Sunday that the deal guarantees Carter $61.8 million over four seasons, with the team holding an option for a fifth year.

Kurt Schoeppler, Carter's agent, has not returned telephone calls to his Cleveland office since the negotiations started, and he did not return a message left Sunday.

Carter averaged team-highs of 25.2 points in the regular season and 22.3 for the postseason. However, he shot less than 40 percent from the field during the playoffs and made several big mistakes.

Carter turned the ball over in the closing seconds of Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semifinal against Cleveland with the Nets down two points and 2-1 in the series. He also was somewhat of a no-show for the deciding Game 6, scoring 11 points while having more turnovers (five) than baskets (four).

The other potential free agent the Nets would like to re-sign up is center Mikki Moore, who took over the starting job after Krstic was lost in December with a knee injury.

Moore averaged career-bests of 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds while leading the league in field goal percentage at .609.

Getting Carter for $15 million a season isn't too bad, nice move by the Nets to keep Vinsanity in Jersey, it will help them keep their ticket sales as far as they are now, they would've went even lower, if thats possible, without him.

Man the nets are STUPID.

I had to edit this post, I was going to insult you but I decided not to, how is this stupid?

Did you by any chance see any Nets games this year, it was in no way his fault for our lack of success over the past couple of years. If anyone should go it's Lawrence Frank... He was the New Jersey Nets last year, **** it, if anyone is stupid its Vince Carter, the Nets needed to surround him with scoring, and they did not. He led in EVERY scoring category, and every game he led in scoring basically.

If we build a team, btw, we aren't too far from the Finals again... I want it around Kidd and Carter, if you say there is anyone else you want the Nets to build around you never seen them play and know nothing about the Nets.

I had to edit this post, I was going to insult you but I decided not to, how is this stupid?

Did you by any chance see any Nets games this year, it was in no way his fault for our lack of success over the past couple of years. If anyone should go it's Lawrence Frank... He was the New Jersey Nets last year, **** it, if anyone is stupid its Vince Carter, the Nets needed to surround him with scoring, and they did not. He led in EVERY scoring category, and every game he led in scoring basically.

If we build a team, btw, we aren't too far from the Finals again... I want it around Kidd and Carter, if you say there is anyone else you want the Nets to build around you never seen them play and know nothing about the Nets.

Kidd is old and almost done. The Nets should've been trying to rebuild and get under the cap instead of spending all this money on another ballhog on the decline. This is like the Allan Houston contract.

Kidd is old and almost done. The Nets should've been trying to rebuild and get under the cap instead of spending all this money on another ballhog on the decline. This is like the Allan Houston contract.

The Nets already have the replacement for Kidd on the roster, if he shows wear and tear, which he has yet to do, then his predecessor will come into the game.

The Nets already have the replacement for Kidd on the roster, if he shows wear and tear, which he has yet to do, then his predecessor will come into the game.

There is nothing to make anyone think that Williams is anywhere near as good as Kidd.

There is nothing to make anyone think that Williams is anywhere near as good as Kidd.

Did I say he was as good as kidd? stop putting words in my mouth, I said he was able to be his replacement, never said he would be as good. Kidd will pass the torch to Williams and williams will be our PG of the future, kind of like a QB passing it along.

Did I say he was as good as kidd? stop putting words in my mouth, I said he was able to be his replacement, never said he would be as good. Kidd will pass the torch to Williams and williams will be our PG of the future, kind of like a QB passing it along.
They should still be trying to get under the cap not signing aging stars for max contracts.

So one dimensional scorers get better at 31?

One Dimensional? he may not have racked up steals and blocks but he did his bid of defense on teams top scorers. Even if he didn't how many teams can you name me with shutdown defensive 2 gaurds who can score at will?

my thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by DefenseWinsChampionships...

Well im glad I grew up and live in the hood for the simple fact I dont have to be round that on a day 2 day basis... Im white but at the same time I dont have alot of white friends, 2 crazy for me... I like to chill and relax

I don't think I'll ever forget what's in your sig. :bwahaharoll:

I beg to differ. The Allan Houston contract was one of, if not the worst contract in the history of pro sports. Houston was a better than average perimeter shooter who rarely ever attacked the basket and played 0 defense and Dave Checketts gave him a $100 million deal max contract.

To give everyone an idea of how stupid and inept that contract was at the time in 2001 the most any NBA team could have offered to Allan Houston was a $72 million contract. (Not that anyone offered Houston anything even close to that) The Knicks could have offered Houston a contract worth $72 million and one dollar and that would have been more than any offer he could have possibly gotten on the fa market. Instead they gave him a contract worth a fullm $28 million more. Checketts should have had his head examined.

Carter's deal is worth only 4 years at $60 million. He is a way better player than Allan Houston ever was and he plays nicely with Kidd. Should the Nets be rebuilding? You're probably right about that but right now they are a playoff team and will remain a playoff team for probably the next 2-3 years bc of this deal.

Nets fans who were fans of this team before Jason Kidd can greatly appreciate that. Does anyone remember how depressing this team was in the 80's and 90's?

I beg to differ. The Allan Houston contract was one of, if not the worst contract in the history of pro sports. Houston was a better than average perimeter shooter who rarely ever attacked the basket and played 0 defense and Dave Checketts gave him a $100 million deal max contract.

To give everyone an idea of how stupid and inept that contract was at the time in 2001 the most any NBA team could have offered to Allan Houston was a $72 million contract. (Not that anyone offered Houston anything even close to that) The Knicks could have offered Houston a contract worth $72 million and one dollar and that would have been more than any offer he could have possibly gotten on the fa market. Instead they gave him a contract worth a fullm $28 million more. Checketts should have had his head examined.

Carter's deal is worth only 4 years at $60 million. He is a way better player than Allan Houston ever was and he plays nicely with Kidd. Should the Nets be rebuilding? You're probably right about that but right now they are a playoff team and will remain a playoff team for probably the next 2-3 years bc of this deal.

Nets fans who were fans of this team before Jason Kidd can greatly appreciate that. Does anyone remember how depressing this team was in the 80's and 90's?

In the 80's and 90's I was reluctant to even wear a Nets hat, now I wear it proudly, i'll admit that.

15 million a year for carter is this age of salaries is not really that bad. The Nets keep their big three together is important media wise with their move to Brooklyn in the works.

15 million a year for carter is this age of salaries is not really that bad. The Nets keep their big three together is important media wise with their move to Brooklyn in the works.

Yep, it's bad to rebuild during the move. They'll sell more than enough Vince Brooklyn jerseys to make up for it. With the east so weak there is no reason to split them up. They gave the Cavs a pretty good ride without Krstic who they missed desperately all year. I find it hard to believe that somebody that thinks draft day was "glorious" for the Knicks would think this is a bad deal.

I still wear my Derrick Coleman jersey. I just wish I could find the tie dyed one.

Archived