Nets coach Frank gets extension

faba

2 hours agoUPDATED 1 HOUR 33 MINUTES AGO

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New Jersey Nets on Monday announced that coach Lawrence Frank has signed a multiyear contract extension. Terms were not disclosed.

Frank has taken the team to the playoffs each of his four seasons with the team, but the team has failed to advance beyond the second round each time.

They finished 41-41 last season, and lost in the second round to the Cleveland Cavaliers, the eventual conference champion.

With the re-signing of All-Star guard Vince Carter, and returning stars Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson, Frank will have a familiar nucleus for the upcoming season.

"Lawrence has done an outstanding job, and we feel confident that he will continue to provide the leadership so invaluable to the success of our team in the future," Nets president Rod Thorn said.

In a statement, Frank said, "I am truly fortunate for the support from this first-class organization."

Frank has been head coach since midway through the 2003-04 season. His record of 157-129 (.549) makes him the franchise's winningest coach. His playoff record is 18-20 (.474).

I agree Frank has done a good job with this team geting as much as he can out of them -especially with Kristic last year out.

He hasn't done squat since taking over the team, they fired Byron Scott after going to 2 straight finals for this asshat, and he hasn't even sniffed the conferences since.

People need to understand, you can't win without a big-man, and that's where it ends. Kristic played very well for them last year until he got hurt, the Nets are still a dangerous team in the East.

Who doesn't understand ghost? Saying they are still dangerous in the east, isn't really saying much.

People need to understand, you can't win without a big-man, and that's where it ends. Kristic played very well for them last year until he got hurt, the Nets are still a dangerous team in the East.

Okay, but Krstic is a better overall big man than Kenyon, as Kenyon played like a 3.

Lawrence Frank came on mid year in what I think was '05. He came on to win 20 straight games and that was as much success as he would see. He hasn't made it past a second series in 3 years and the thing is, we've had the talent, and the oppurtunities, but it just seems like the team is unmotivated.

Plain and simple, if you can't motivate your team, you aren't a good coach.

Who doesn't understand ghost? Saying they are still dangerous in the east, isn't really saying much.

The Nets, in my opinion have the best front 3 in Carter, Kidd, and Richardson. If you ask yourself why are they not winning, there is no way in hell you can possibly say it's the coach.

Okay, but Krstic is a better overall big man than Kenyon, as Kenyon played like a 3.

Lawrence Frank came on mid year in what I think was '05. He came on to win 20 straight games and that was as much success as he would see. He hasn't made it past a second series in 3 years and the thing is, we've had the talent, and the opportunities, but it just seems like the team is unmotivated.

Plain and simple, if you can't motivate your team, you aren't a good coach.

What makes him not a good coach ?

The Nets played with Collins as their big man, who in the bloody hell is Collins ? If Krstic was there and healthy, I'm sure the Nets would of won a series or two.

The Nets, in my opinion have the best front 3 in Carter, Kidd, and Richardson. If you ask yourself why are they not winning, there is no way in hell you can possibly say it's the coach.

How so?

What has he done that has led me to believe he is even a competent coach, he has what me and you think is the best front 3, and still has yet to win 2 consecutive series' while Byron Scott led the Nets to 2 straight finals on the strength of a rookie Jefferson, Kidd, and Kerry Kittles (who is now one of our assistant coaches) barely to the level of what we have right now.

Our gameplan runs through one player, and that is sure to lead us to nowhere. (ask the Lakers) yet we have all of the talent we do.

I say that with the acquisition of Krstic back from injury, and Mikki playing the way he did last year, along with Kidd Carter and hopefully a healthy RJ, we should go to the conference finals without a doubt, will we do it, I hope, if not Frank needs to go, and Kenyon needs to come back.

I'm not saying they shouldn't've given him an extension, but if they have the best front 3 wouldn't that put more blame on the coach?

What makes him not a good coach ?

The Nets played with Collins as their big man, who in the bloody hell is Collins ? If Krstic was there and healthy, I'm sure the Nets would of won a series or two.

Actually, Mikki started...

but anyway, besides that...

Krstic is a pretty good big man but to say he would individually lead us further is a stretch.

I'm not saying they shouldn't've given him an extension, but if they have the best front 3 wouldn't that put more blame on the coach?

Exactly, Frank has wayyy more talent than Scott could've imagined. Yet somehow Frank hasn't done **** since his hiring, what makes me angry is, Scott wasn't fired because he was a bad coach, kidd and company disliked him and promised they would walk if he wasn't fired.

How so?

What has he done that has led me to believe he is even a competent coach, he has what me and you think is the best front 3, and still has yet to win 2 consecutive series' while Byron Scott led the Nets to 2 straight finals on the strength of a rookie Jefferson, Kidd, and Kerry Kittles (who is now one of our assistant coaches) barely to the level of what we have right now.

Our gameplan runs through one player, and that is sure to lead us to nowhere. (ask the Lakers) yet we have all of the talent we do.

I say that with the acquisition of Krstic back from injury, and Mikki playing the way he did last year, along with Kidd Carter and hopefully a healthy RJ, we should go to the conference finals without a doubt, will we do it, I hope, if not Frank needs to go, and Kenyon needs to come back.

Alright, well I don't want you to think Byron Scott is a bad coach, because he is not.

You guys are a good and a young team, your oldest player is arguably the best one in Jason Kidd. With Kidd, Carter, and Richardson, along with a energy man like Moore and a healthy Kristic, I'll say look out.

Had no big man.

This year, we have Mikki at the 4, Krstic at the 5, and Kidd carter and Jefferson with Boki Nachbar coming off the bench.

SO there are no excuses this year.

Good point about Nachbar, I honestly think he is a good player and I never ever thought he could jump the way he does.

On the other hand, are Moore and Krstic the type of players to bring you a championship ?

Can Krstic stick Shaq in the playoffs ?

Can Jefferson play 82 games ?

Those are some questions that will be answered, but not by the coach.

Good point about Nachbar, I honestly think he is a good player and I never ever thought he could jump the way he does.

On the other hand, are Moore and Krstic the type of players to bring you a championship ?

Can Krstic stick Shaq in the playoffs ?

Can Jefferson play 82 games ?

Those are some questions that will be answered, but not by the coach.

I think the 2 questions you posed are irrelevant.

I don't have hopes on him playig all 82, but I want him healthy down the stretch when he is needed, when he hasn't been there.

Shaq won't be deep in the playoffs anymore, he's done.

I think Frank is the fault for any lack of success this year, plain and simple, I understand where you are coming from with most of your points, and no disrespect to your amount of NBA knowledge (as it is clear you have alot of it) but I just don't think you have the same perspective as a Nets fan.

I hope we have success, yeah, but if we don't this guy needs a pink slip.

People forget how good Kenyon Martin was when he was in New Jersey. The stats he put up were good, not great but he was an excellent low post defender and that, plus Jason Kidd and a weak eastern conference, were the biggest reasons why the Nets made it to the Finals in '02 and '03.

Byron Scott was basically a Herm Edwards of the Nets - a guy who just happened to be standing on the sidelines watching a talented team do all the work. I never saw a Nets game in 2001-2003 where I thought Scott's coaching was what won the game. Just about any NBA coach with Kidd, Martin, Jefferson and that horrific eastern conference would have made the finals. Who was their competition? The Celtics?

Vince Carter puts up great fantasy numbers and is a human highlight reel but Kenyon Martin, before the knee injury, was a more valuable player. Not to mention the Eastern Conference became a lot stronger since 2004 with the rise of the Pistons and Miami getting Shaq and Wade.

People forget how good Kenyon Martin was when he was in New Jersey. The stats he put up were good, not great but he was an excellent low post defender and that, plus Jason Kidd and a weak eastern conference, were the biggest reasons why the Nets made it to the Finals in '02 and '03.

Byron Scott was basically a Herm Edwards of the Nets - a guy who just happened to be standing on the sidelines watching a talented team do all the work. I never saw a Nets game in 2001-2003 where I thought Scott's coaching was what won the game. Just about any NBA coach with Kidd, Martin, Jefferson and that horrific eastern conference would have made the finals. Who was their competition? The Celtics?

Vince Carter puts up great fantasy numbers and is a human highlight reel but Kenyon Martin, before the knee injury, was a more valuable player. Not to mention the Eastern Conference became a lot stronger since 2004 with the rise of the Pistons and Miami getting Shaq and Wade.

That's where I gotta stop ya, there were numerous games where Byron Scott would influence the outcomes, negatively as well as positively, now it seems as if Frank is the man standing on the sidelines watching a talented team do NO work.

And about Carter, I would trade Carter for Kenyon's NJ days in a heartbeat.

I agree that the East has gotten tougher but to think that a perennial eastern conference champ coach can be fired for a perennial 2nd round casualty is mind-boggling, and that he would be EXTENDED????

I'm with PNorth on Kenyon and Byron. Martin was an unreal defender who could be used to shut down the likes Jermain O'Neal, Antoine Walker or even Pierce. Whoever was hot. He was great on the break and also hit the glass with more authority than anybody they have now. Don't forget that Kidd was younger, healthier and more high octane those years as well.

ShadowJet, I'm a Net fan too. I understand where you are coming from, but if you need to motivate a team to be a good coach, what does it say that the best players said they would walk if Scott were retained?

I'm with PNorth on Kenyon and Byron. Martin was an unreal defender who could be used to shut down the likes Jermain O'Neal, Antoine Walker or even Pierce. Whoever was hot. He was great on the break and also hit the glass with more authority than anybody they have now. Don't forget that Kidd was younger, healthier and more high octane those years as well.

ShadowJet, I'm a Net fan too. I understand where you are coming from, but if you need to motivate a team to be a good coach, what does it say that the best players said they would walk if Scott were retained?

The fact that Kidd and company complained that they would walk isn't a matter of motivation, they simply disliked his coaching style and work ethic(meaning practice), does that mean he was a bad coach no, Frank is the Jim Fassel of the NBA, he was lucky enough to fall to a team with alot of talent despite no real coaching ability, and because of that sees no success.

The fact that Kidd and company complained that they would walk isn't a matter of motivation, they simply disliked his coaching style and work ethic(meaning practice), does that mean he was a bad coach no, Frank is the Jim Fassel of the NBA, he was lucky enough to fall to a team with alot of talent despite no real coaching ability, and because of that sees no success.

Funny. We agree about so much on the court, but not in the FO/coaching staff. I think Frank is way better x's and o's than Scott. We both think losing Kenyon was a big problem and mistake, but you blame Thorn and I blame the owner. Player wise we both like the same guys and I was surprised at Nachbar's jumping too. I think they'll have a nice squad this year.

Funny. We agree about so much on the court, but not in the FO/coaching staff. I think Frank is way better x's and o's than Scott. We both think losing Kenyon was a big problem and mistake, but you blame Thorn and I blame the owner. Player wise we both like the same guys and I was surprised at Nachbar's jumping too. I think they'll have a nice squad this year.

They will, all the better the reason to can Lawrence the midget Frank after this season.

I think the 2 questions you posed are irrelevant.

I don't have hopes on him playing all 82, but I want him healthy down the stretch when he is needed, when he hasn't been there.

Shaq won't be deep in the playoffs anymore, he's done.

I think Frank is the fault for any lack of success this year, plain and simple, I understand where you are coming from with most of your points, and no disrespect to your amount of NBA knowledge (as it is clear you have a lot of it) but I just don't think you have the same perspective as a Nets fan.

I hope we have success, yeah, but if we don't this guy needs a pink slip.

I agree that I don't have to perspective as a Nets fan, but that's just my opinion. I do think he has to prove something this year though, but anyways, the best thing to do is just wait and see what happens.

I agree that I don't have to perspective as a Nets fan, but that's just my opinion. I do think he has to prove something this year though, but anyways, the best thing to do is just wait and see what happens.

We have waited, he's gotten 3 years of garbage play, and I feel it's make or break time.

Period, if he was hired after us not making the playoffs for years (for example, in the position that Scott was in) and brought us to the second round consecutively than yeah I would be happy, but Frank took over SCOTT's team which was fresh off a 4-2 loss in the Finals (which should've been 3-3) and brought them where? the first round. and lost.

He received basically the same players that Scott had minus, suck ass Van Horn, Aaron Williams, Kittles, Luscious Harris, Kenyon and Anthony (that PG with the big eyes, with Indiana now) Outside of Kenyon, Kittles and Luscious, he didn't lose much. He got in return, Carter, Krstic, Bokie, Mikki, Boone, Williams, Adams, (the list goes on) since being here, and hasn't done squat.

It's make or break time in my mind.

Archived