Cimini's Day 1 Blog

NJ

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

Greetings from Day 1 of Camp Mangini. Things didn't get off to such a great start for the Jets. The early portion of the morning practice got real sloppy - in more ways than one. There were botched snaps, fumbled handoffs and a PDOV - a public display of vomiting. That's right, Leon Washington lost his, um, breakfast after completing a penalty lap for bobbling a handoff.

It has been an unsettling day all around. For the first time since 1997, the Jets didn't have their draft picks signed for the start of camp. First-round CB Darrelle Revis (14th overall pick) remains unsigned. This negotiation could get tricky because the players drafted in front of him and behind him (Rams DE Adam Carriker and Steelers LB Lawrence Timmons) signed five-year deals. Revis, too, prefers a five-year deal, but the Jets want to make it six years, the max allowed for a player selected in that spot.

Then, of course, there's the Pete Kendall situation. As expected, the disgruntled guard ripped the organization (yes, again), claiming he's being held hostage. Kendall, speaking after practice, said he doesn't want to be here. He believes the organization doesn't want him here, either. So why is he here? There are two reasons why the Jets haven't granted Kendall's request for a trade or released:

• Despite his unhappiness with his contract, he's still a solid player and they don't want to unload an asset unless they can get something of value in return.
  • Vindictiveness. The Jets don't want to give Kendall a "Get Out of Jail Free" card because they know he'd sign immediately with divisional rival Miami.

When Kendall showed up to camp, he was assigned to the rookie dorm. Was that a statement by Mangini? The coach said it was an honest mix up.

"There's no conspiracy theory, there's no grassy knoll," Mangini said.

Anyway, Kendall complained to the coach and GM Mike Tannenbaum and his room got changed. In practice, he was relegated to second-team duty (another message?), although Mangini insisted that Kendall is rotating with Adrien Clarke.

Other nuggets from today: Former college QB Brad Smith, drafted last year to play wide receiver, is back to being a quarterback. Mangini described Smith's role this way: "He's a quarterback who plays some receiver." The coach claims the receiver experiment wasn't a bust, that he simply likes Smith's potential at quarterback. Hmmm. One thing is clear: The receiving corps looks a lot thinner now with Tim Dwight (foot) on the PUP list and Smith playing quarterback. It certainly increases Justin McCareins' value.

It looks like RB Cedric Houston is gone for good. On Thursday night, he was placed on the reserve/left camp list. Mangini said the move appears permanent. The coach: "He's made a decision that he wants to move on with the rest of his life. I respect that decision." Now the Jets are thin at running back, with no experience behind Thomas Jones and puking Leon. Mangini says they'll look for help at that spot.

Speaking of the coach, he's looking awfully svelte these days, having dropped some serious pounds in the offseason. Maybe his boxing buddy, Teddy Atlas, has convinced him to drop a couple of weight classes.

Posted by Rich Cimini at 1:37 PM

This is why i am glad I go see tc myself with my own eyes.

One botched snap, one fumbled handoff, and one puking RB does not make a sloppy practice when there were over two hours of intense work.

Being able to count the mistakes on one hand when there were hundreds of assignments and dozens of plays does not a sloppy practice make.

If I had not seen it myself, i would have a completely different impression of what occurred today.

This is why i am glad I go see tc myself with my own eyes.

One botched snap, one fumbled handoff, and one puking RB does not make a sloppy practice when there were over two hours of intense work.

Being able to count the mistakes on one hand when there were hundreds of assignments and dozens of plays does not a sloppy practice make.

If I had not seen it myself, i would have a completely different impression of what occurred today.

Yeah he put a different spin than everyone else so far...

Wow, I can't believe Ced is going to walk. I wonder what made him to decide to do that. I agree with us keeping Kendall. It would be silly right now to release him because he will just go to miami. I want them to give us something in return. I would say a 5th round pick would be about right.

Wow, I can't believe Ced is going to walk. I wonder what made him to decide to do that. I agree with us keeping Kendall. It would be silly right now to release him because he will just go to miami. I want them to give us something in return. I would say a 5th round pick would be about right.

He got hurt last year... has a thyroid problem...

He most likely wants to take the 100's of thousands he hopefully has banked and move on...

All I am saying is i hope he is not one of Mike Vick's off field friends, lol.

Archived