Jet News 8/9

BP

Nugent kicks weight around

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

This offseason, Mike Nugent went back to school. The Jets' third-year kicker finished his studies at Ohio State, earning his bachelor's degree in logistics management.

But it wasn't his homework in how to move and ship products from one place to another that had the Jets' coaching staff giving Nugent high marks this training camp. The 25-year-old also hit the weight room during his time off. He returned to camp on the Hofstra University campus with about 10 pounds of added muscle.

"I watched some of these guys in the NFL, like Olindo Mare and Adam Vinatieri, and they are not much taller than me," the 5-9 Nugent said. "But they weighed about 20 pounds more than I did. I just want to do everything I can to get to their kind of level on kickoffs.

"If I am averaging (kickoffs) to the 5- or the 6-yard line, they're averaging (kickoffs)to the 1 or the 2. I want to get there."

Nugent, whose selection as the 47thpick of the 2005 draft was booed by some Jets fans, has improved steadily over his two NFL seasons. After making just 22 of his 28 kicks (79%) in his rookie year, Nugent rebounded from a terrible season opener last year to show remarkable accuracy. He struggled in Week 1 at Tennessee, missing an extra point and two field-goal attempts. After that, however, Nugent missed only one of his last 25 attempts and ended the season by hitting his last 18 in a row.

However, the coaching staff became concerned with Nugent's range. Last year, his longest field goal was a 54-yarder. There was discussion last year of having punter Ben Graham handle field goals longer than 50 yards.

But Nugent's offseason work has seemingly made that a moot point.

"It was nothing really too dramatic, I just worked really hard in the weight room (during the offseason)," Nugent said. "We've got a great strength staff working with us. They focus on all different kinds of stuff, which is good, especially for a kicker or punter. You are not just trying to gain strength and then lose all this flexibility and get all stiff."

In training camp, Nugent has shown that his added strength has not limited his flexibility. In last Sunday's intrasquad scrimmage, he boomed field goals of 53, 48 and 26yards before missing a 65-yarder at the end of the game. He also had two touchbacks on kickoffs - as many as he had all of last season.

"I think that he's done a really good job with that," coach Eric Mangini said. "In the scrimmage the other night he had (two) touchbacks, and the other balls were getting deeper than they had been. And that's going to be an ongoing process of maintaining that strength during the season, maintaining the technique work throughout the season. He's really put a lot of time into that area or point of emphasis. And his overall body strength has improved as well."

PICKED OFF: Safety Eric Smith had to be helped off the field in the morning session after he was hit in the right leg while trying to intercept a pass. Smith, who was proving to be a reliable backup in training camp, appeared unable to put weight on the leg after the collision.

Mangini, however, would not directly address the injury. "Just like everyone else, he's been banged up before," Mangini said.

"Not really sure on a timetable, but he's a pretty diligent worker and he'll be back as quick as he can."

TIME TRIALS: With his attention turning to tomorrow night's preseason opener against the Falcons at Giants Stadium, Mangini said he was not sure how long his starters would play. "It depends on how the game goes early on," Mangini said. "A little bit of it will be how the game goes, and then how many quality reps they are getting."

JETS' BACKS TO THE WALL

LOSE ANOTHER DEFENDER TO INJURY

By BRIAN LEWIS

SMITH SETBACK: Safety Eric Smith (33, seen with Eric Mangini last season) injured his right leg at Jets practice yesterday, the latest setback for a unit already without injured Justin Miller and holdout Darrelle Revis.

SMITH SETBACK: Safety Eric Smith (33, seen with Eric Mangini last season) injured his right leg at Jets practice yesterday, the latest setback for a unit already without injured Justin Miller and holdout Darrelle Revis.

PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

August 9, 2007 -- Missing two cornerbacks, the Jets' secondary already was going to be undermanned for tomorrow's preseason opener vs. Atlanta. The last thing they needed to see was another defensive back lying on the ground writhing in pain, which is exactly what they got when Eric Smith went down in yesterday's morning practice.

Smith was having a solid camp to push incumbent Erik Coleman at free safety. But Smith missed Sunday's scrimmage with a sore right knee, and hurt his right leg covering Stacy Tutt yesterday. Smith went down in a heap, and after a few minutes clutching the back of his leg between his hamstring and knee was helped off by Coleman and a trainer.

"He's a good player," SS Kerry Rhodes said of Smith. "Erik's a communicator. When all of us are in together, we're all on the same page. He's done a great job. You saw me and Erik run over when he got hurt; you know how big a person he is for our team."

Smith returned to the field for the evening session. He did not work with the team but was stretching on the sideline with his hamstring wrapped.

Eric Mangini was vague about the third-year pro's status.

"I'm not sure the timetable. He'll be back as soon as he can," Mangini said. "He was one of our offseason award winners. He's shown excellent range in the deep portion of the field, he's good-sized so we (can) bring him in the box. It's a nice combo. He's smart, and getting more vocal as he gets comfortable."

He's also been more of a challenge for Coleman, who has started 45 of a possible 48 games in his career.

"We're a family here and we all want to take care of each other," Coleman said, adding, "We've been working hard to [get] chemistry going, busting our butts."

At least some have. CB Justin Miller remains sidelined (hamstring), and the team still hasn't had any more conversation with holdout CB Darrelle Revis. The Jets are demanding the rookie sign a six-year deal instead of a five-year pact, despite the fact only one player outside the top five in this year's NFL Draft signed a six-year deal.

"You work with what you have, and we have a lot of guys who are in all the meetings," Coleman said, referring to starters David Barrett and Andre Dyson, and dime backs Hank Poteat and Manny Collins.

Mangini said, "All the rookies are trying to find a role to help us win. It's hard to find a role if you're not here. We have a lot of guys here doing great work, committed to helping move the team forward. That's what we focused on.

"Camp is an extremely tough time for rookies, but extremely important. I'm happy with the guys who're here; they're working hard. There's a lot of info missed (by Revis), a lot of practices, but a lot of opportunity created for other players."

Mangini refused to discuss his quarterback rotation for tomorrow, or how long the starters would play. He did praise the play of FB Tutt, and the attitude of LB Andre Wadsworth, who'll be playing his first game since 2000. . . . Mangini, asked whether DL Bryan Thomas griped about being asked to move to linebacker last year, said, "I wasn't really asking. That's what was going to happen." . . . WR Wallace Wright snared a couple of TDs, the latter a sprawling catch in the back of the end zone from QB Kellen Clemens, who looked sharp. He threw a fade that Tutt juggled and caught on the play Smith got hurt; Clemens also tossed scores to WRs Frisman Jackson and Chansi Stuckey to end the morning practice.

brian.lewis@nypost.com

Don't assume Jets will reduce RB Washington's role

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

August 9, 2007

The addition of Thomas Jones won't necessarily be a subtraction for Leon Washington.

Although the Jets traded for Jones to have that so-called "every-down back" they were missing for all of 2006 with Curtis Martin in rehab limbo, they have not forgotten about the player who eventually filled the role of starting tailback down the stretch of their playoff run. Washington, who as a rookie started eight games and led the team with 650 yards rushing (plus 270 receiving), still is a very large part of the offense.

By the end of the season, Jones likely will be the Jet who has the most carries and the most yards. But the division of labor is likely to be more balanced than some are predicting.

"[Carries] will fluctuate week in and week out, and there will be different packages that the guys will be in," coach Eric Mangini said. "You want to have the flexibility to adjust to whatever you anticipate seeing."

Washington's ability to make something from nothing with devilish cuts and neck-wrenching speed will come in handy for the Jets, who enjoy surprising defenses with strange shifts and odd personnel groupings. Having Washington at their disposal for those sneak attacks makes sense, especially given that he can line up nearly anywhere on the field.

"You love when you have a tailback that you can split out," Mangini said, adding that one of his mentors, Ted Marchibroda, used Marshall Faulk in a similar way. Not only does having Washington (or another back) split out create another target and usually a mismatch in coverage, it also helps decipher defensive intent.

"The defense has to declare if it is man or zone," Mangini said. "Usually the person responsible for covering the back is a linebacker, if it's man-to-man, or a safety. So when you do split them out, you get that information pre-snap. That's always nice."

Washington said no one from the Jets approached him after the Jones trade to assuage any fears that his role could diminish. Nor did they have to.

"They knew I would be a guy who would welcome anyone who comes in and helps the team win," Washington said. "Having him in our locker room is a big plus for us."

Notes & quotes: Before yesterday's first practice, QB Chad Pennington took a flop in the mud left over from the morning's storms and spent the rest of the workout in a soggy, dirty uniform. "If you don't watch, training camp can get pretty negative," Pennington said of his spirit-lifting splash. "I tried to give us a spark. I don't know if it worked or not, but it sure made me wet and muddy and miserable." ... Mangini may have just been thinking aloud, but on a day when S Eric Smith went down with a leg injury, he casually mentioned that FB Stacy Tutt can play safety ... DE Michael Haynes watched the morning workout as a reward for an off-season accomplishment ... The Jets open the preseason at home tomorrow night against the Falcons.

Tutt becomes food for thought for Jets

Thursday, August 09, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- It was perhaps the worst dinner Stacy Tutt ever had. It wasn't that the food was bad. And it wasn't the company. Tutt was with teammates D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Eric Smith, Wallace Wright, among others, and some brought their girlfriends.

The problem was the timing.

It was Sept. 2, 2006. Earlier that afternoon the Jets had announced their final cuts. Tutt, then a rookie free-agent fullback, was the only player at the dinner table who didn't make the team. While everyone had a joyous time, Tutt sulked.

"I was pretty upset," Tutt said yesterday in between practices at Hofstra, smiling at the memory. "Everybody else was in a good mood. 'Brick' said something the other day about how bad a mood I was in. But it all worked out."

The next day, the Jets signed Tutt, a quarterback out of the University of Richmond, to the practice squad. He remained there until being activated for the Dec. 17 game at Minnesota and the next week at Miami. He didn't compile any stats, and was inactive for the final regular-season game and the playoff game at New England.

"I learned a lot last year," Tutt said. "But I'm still fighting every day to get better and do different things. I'm not anywhere near where I want to be. I just need to keep working, keep building. It may take some time; some guys don't blossom until their third, fourth, fifth year."

It doesn't appear it'll take the 6-1, 235-pound Tutt that long to carve out his NFL niche. He has been one of the early surprises in training camp, displaying excellent hands and sharp route-running as well as good speed and toughness.

Tutt and the bruising Darian Barnes give the Jets two completely different looks at fullback, and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has a knack for identifying a player's strength and finding ways to get him the ball. Barnes is the starter, but Tutt also has been working with the first team at times.

"He does have very good hands, good size and he runs pretty good routes," coach Eric Mangini said. "That's a nice combination where you can lead him up in the hole to block linebackers, use him in the running game and do some other things with him outside of the backfield. He has some flexibility."

Mangini added that Tutt's background as a quarterback gives him a "true appreciation for the whole concept of the offense," and Mangini praised his work on special teams.

At Richmond, Tutt's 6,872 yards total offense rank second in school history and his 5,318 yards passing is third. As a senior, he accounted for 28 touchdowns (16 passing) while leading the Spiders to the Division 1-AA quarterfinals. Yet, he went undrafted and the Jets were the only team to contact him.

"I was kind of upset I didn't get drafted," Tutt said. "Even though I knew I was a long shot, I felt I was as good as some of the guys who got drafted. I figured I would get drafted as an athlete, not necessarily a quarterback. I had a little chip on my shoulder."

The journey continues for Tutt tomorrow night in the Jets' preseason opener against the Atlanta Falcons at Giants Stadium. He's expected to see plenty of action.

"First and foremost, I have to do a really good job on special teams," he said. "On offense, I don't have to catch a touchdown. I'm just going to try to play mistake-free, just do my job. ... From Day One, coach Mangini said he would be fair and give people an opportunity. I was blessed to be able to come here."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

From Andrew Gross blog

More of a hamstring/quad than a knee

August

Safety Eric Smith spent the just-completed evening practice (two hours, 12 minutes) near the stationary bikes stretching his body. The Jets, of course, have not specified what kind of injury he has but it looks safe to say it

Don't assume Jets will reduce RB Washington's role

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

August 9, 2007

The addition of Thomas Jones won't necessarily be a subtraction for Leon Washington.

Although the Jets traded for Jones to have that so-called "every-down back" they were missing for all of 2006 with Curtis Martin in rehab limbo, they have not forgotten about the player who eventually filled the role of starting tailback down the stretch of their playoff run. Washington, who as a rookie started eight games and led the team with 650 yards rushing (plus 270 receiving), still is a very large part of the offense.

By the end of the season, Jones likely will be the Jet who has the most carries and the most yards. But the division of labor is likely to be more balanced than some are predicting.

"[Carries] will fluctuate week in and week out, and there will be different packages that the guys will be in," coach Eric Mangini said. "You want to have the flexibility to adjust to whatever you anticipate seeing."

Washington's ability to make something from nothing with devilish cuts and neck-wrenching speed will come in handy for the Jets, who enjoy surprising defenses with strange shifts and odd personnel groupings. Having Washington at their disposal for those sneak attacks makes sense, especially given that he can line up nearly anywhere on the field.

"You love when you have a tailback that you can split out," Mangini said, adding that one of his mentors, Ted Marchibroda, used Marshall Faulk in a similar way. Not only does having Washington (or another back) split out create another target and usually a mismatch in coverage, it also helps decipher defensive intent.

"The defense has to declare if it is man or zone," Mangini said. "Usually the person responsible for covering the back is a linebacker, if it's man-to-man, or a safety. So when you do split them out, you get that information pre-snap. That's always nice."

Washington said no one from the Jets approached him after the Jones trade to assuage any fears that his role could diminish. Nor did they have to.

"They knew I would be a guy who would welcome anyone who comes in and helps the team win," Washington said. "Having him in our locker room is a big plus for us."

Notes & quotes: Before yesterday's first practice, QB Chad Pennington took a flop in the mud left over from the morning's storms and spent the rest of the workout in a soggy, dirty uniform. "If you don't watch, training camp can get pretty negative," Pennington said of his spirit-lifting splash. "I tried to give us a spark. I don't know if it worked or not, but it sure made me wet and muddy and miserable." ... Mangini may have just been thinking aloud, but on a day when S Eric Smith went down with a leg injury, he casually mentioned that FB Stacy Tutt can play safety ... DE Michael Haynes watched the morning workout as a reward for an off-season accomplishment ... The Jets open the preseason at home tomorrow night against the Falcons.

Sweet. Unless you've got a (relatively) unstoppable force like LT, LJ, pre-2006 Alexander, AND nothing special behind him this is the way to go.

Archived