from bitonti re Adrien Clarke

Kentucky Jet

Spotlight on Adrien Clarke by bitonti

PLAYER ANALYSIS: Clarke is excellent in trapping, pulling around using minimal effort and is a top athlete. Had an excellent first series with knockdown blocks, smooth coming out of stance.(Brick and Gold also kicked butt and are improving). Clarke looked natural next to fellow Buckeye Mangold and playing next to two first rounders can make any guard play better. Clarke really showed something last night, he's always had physical talent but he's playing inspired ball. Played LG with the first team, RG with the second team, and didn't seem to wear down. Got good pass protection work with the second team and played both sides of line with same ease.

CONTRA CASE: The Jets didn't pass against first team defense, and it is Clarke's pass protection that remains concerning. Likely we will not know if he can handle the pressure until real bullets are flying, week 1. Also should be noted that behind Clarke there was no real depth. Wade Smith is servicable at OC, but not as good as Clarke at OG, another inaccuracy of my previous statements.

BOTTOM LINE: Based just on last night's preseason CLARKE is legitimately a better player than Pete Kendall. Kendall has lost a step. He's good but not great and spends more time on the turf than a LG should. Tanny's handshake agreement was pending coach review and Mangini didn't approve the extension because Kendall isn't that great of a player anymore. In a perfect world he'd be an excellent backup but probably too much of a disruption in that role.

Some will remember my previous negative comments about Clarke vs. Kendall. The purpose of this post is to revise, retract and generally flip-flop as new evidence has come to light. I was wrong about Adrien Clarke, and relieved to admit it. There is no issue in my mind, barring injury Jets should be ok at LG.

I hope bit does not mind me posting this here. He has been anti-Clarke for all off-season. This surprised me. He posted it on the hot bed of Baseball, Jets Addicts! Thanks bit!

If Kendall wants to stay thats great but he wants out and we trade him we could live without him.

I wonder if there is a trade market for him ?.....I'd love to get a 6th or 7th rounder but since everyone knows our backs are to the wall because keeping him around is a disruption if somebody wants him they'll probably wait til we release him.....we'll see.....

I find it hard to evaluate this guy until he is consistently going against first stringers. Problems in pass blocking could be a huge problem with a fragile Pennington.

i really hope that clarke can show enough mentally to grab the starter job. as much as we like to talk about how great kendall is, he has been pretty ineffective against the pats front 7. the best way to slow the pats pash rush down is to effectively run the ball so hopefully clarke can help.

If Kendall wants to stay thats great but he wants out and we trade him we could live without him.

I wonder if there is a trade market for him ?.....I'd love to get a 6th or 7th rounder but since everyone knows our backs are to the wall because keeping him around is a disruption if somebody wants him they'll probably wait til we release him.....we'll see.....

As the preseason goes on there might be a team that loses a few OL to injury and

might be willing to talk.

One pre-season game of evaluation is not enough, especially since the line played better IMO while Pete was at LG. As was mentioned, we have yet to see Clarke's pass protection. That being said, I hope this kid works out, and I think having played alongside Mangold at the OSU helps. However, Pete Kendall is the Jets best option at LG this season. Perhaps Clarke can break into the RG spot, as he played well there on Friday. The Jets need a happy Pete Kendall come September if they want to put the best 53 available on the field.

I was impressed that he played hard even though he is upset with the FO. I realize he is, in his mind, advertising his services to other teams, but he could have taken plays off and such. I think he respects his fellow players enough to not slack on the field, as that could result in serious injury and career setbacks for others. However, he will not continue to produce under his current contract. I say let him play one more pre-season game pi$$ed off, and then, if he continues to play hard and help the team, negotiate a deal somewhere a lil' on the Pete side of the middle, money wise. As much as I hate to reward his whiny a$$, we need Pete, for Pete's sake!

With Clarke we get the bigger, younger body with a familiar face in Mangold beside him-yes. What I see is the possibility to play beyond Kendalls skills and ability, and that is a VERY good possibility. Will Kendall be able to improve any more than where hes at, ability - wise? Or has he leveled off, and only to go downhill? Clarke is unproven in pass protection but Kendall was not exactly a brick wall.

Bottom line, Clarke has been looking as able as Kendall so far and has time left to actually get better than where he is at. Kendall is what he is.

With Clarke we get the bigger, younger body with a familiar face in Mangold beside him-yes. What I see is the possibility to play beyond Kendalls skills and ability, and that is a VERY good possibility. Will Kendall be able to improve any more than where hes at, ability - wise? Or has he leveled off, and only to go downhill? Clarke is unproven in pass protection but Kendall was not exactly a brick wall.

Bottom line, Clarke has been looking as able as Kendall so far and has time left to actually get better than where he is at. Kendall is what he is.

All valid, but it sure would be nice to have the veteran leadership guy on his way out and the young upside guy. Both Brick and Mangold raved about how much having Pete around has helped them. Not to mention, it would be best if Clarke could play RG, as Moore is a much weaker link than Kendall.

All valid, but it sure would be nice to have the veteran leadership guy on his way out and the young upside guy. Both Brick and Mangold raved about how much having Pete around has helped them. Not to mention, it would be best if Clarke could play RG, as Moore is a much weaker link than Kendall.

True, Kendall would be a good brain to pick, but they probably got a ton of info out of him last year. How about W Smith at RG ? 5th year, 6-4 318? Moore is 6-3 295. Might be worth a look.

package him along with Jmac and see what we can get? I'd love JUSTIN SMILEY from the 49ers. But we should explore getting something in return for these guys.

Clarke DID play right OG the other night. Kendall nearly got both Neon Leon and Kellen killed via missed blocks. Raving about Kendall was last year NOT this year! Already Moore is acting up as a result of THE CLUBHOUSE LAWYER.

Clarke DID play right OG the other night. Kendall nearly got both Neon Leon and Kellen killed via missed blocks. Raving about Kendall was last year NOT this year! Already Moore is acting up as a result of THE CLUBHOUSE LAWYER.

With all due respect, I think you are letting your opinions about the contract negotiations interfere with his play evaluation. I realize that Clarke played RG friday. He started at LG. I thought he played well, but we did not see much from him in pass protection from the left side. Kendall played great considering circumstances. As mad as he is, you could easily see him faking injury or whatever it takes to forgo contribution. He was aggressive and determined IMO, and that was more than I expected.

With all due respect, I think you are letting your opinions about the contract negotiations interfere with his play evaluation. I realize that Clarke played RG friday. He started at LG. I thought he played well, but we did not see much from him in pass protection from the left side. Kendall played great considering circumstances. As mad as he is, you could easily see him faking injury or whatever it takes to forgo contribution. He was aggressive and determined IMO, and that was more than I expected.

and I suppose that you did not see Kendall fan on a NEON LEON run and a Kellen pass. As a result, there were two guys that got hit big time. Sorry, but the TIVO does not recognize "contract negotiations". It was there for all to see. Kendall aslo had a good block that sprung Leon for 25 yards. Then Kendall acted unprofessionally and bragged to the media about it!

and I suppose that you did not see Kendall fan on a NEON LEON run and a Kellen pass. As a result, there were two guys that got hit big time. Sorry, but the TIVO does not recognize "contract negotiations". It was there for all to see. Kendall aslo had a good block that sprung Leon for 25 yards. Then Kendall acted unprofessionally and bragged to the media about it!

Yes, he missed a few blocks; it's pre-season game one. He has seen limited reps in practice. He could have gone through the motions, but he played with fire as if he has something to prove. This may be motivation that the old guy needs; a lil' jock-itch if you will. I agree he needs to shut his trap, but my point is that he played hard unexpectedly.

Archived