Eric Mangini Press Conf (Transcript) 08/15/07 - Wed

Maxman

Transcript of head coach Eric Mangini's news conference with the New York Jets media before Wednesday's afternoon training camp practice:

We have the assistant coaches available today, so I know you guys are excited about that, probably about as excited as I am about it [smiling]. I know they're fired up. It should be a good day.

When I was putting together the coaching staff, one of the goals was to get a group of guys that were innovative, to get a group of guys that were intrinsically motivated, a

group of guys that would sit in the room, disagree but not be disagreeable. When the final plan was in place, regardless of whose idea it was, everybody would move forward to promote that plan. I've been really happy with the group of guys we have and the way they've worked together.

I talked a lot about Brian Schottenheimer, how he and I hit it off in his initial interview. What I liked about him was his innovative approach and the fact that he wasn't necessarily married to one idea, one concept. He was very open to discussing different ideas and trying different ideas. I think that's important for any system if you're going to have growth and consistent growth. He's done a good job with that.

With Bob [sutton]

That comment on Ratliff... yes, he got more snaps today, and I was impressed with this kid. I think he has a much higher upside than Tui does. He made some really pretty timing pass plays, something that is rare to see from a rookie, no less a guy like Ratliff who had no pom poms going for him in this last draft whatsoever.

That comment on Ratliff... yes, he got more snaps today, and I was impressed with this kid. I think he has a much higher upside than Tui does. He made some really pretty timing pass plays, something that is rare to see from a rookie, no less a guy like Ratliff who had no pom poms going for him in this last draft whatsoever.

Was Brian a rookie f.a.?

This isn't a knock on Mangini, but for a young coach, he sure knows how to dance around questions:penguin:...better than a lot of coaches that have been in the league for awhile...Hermy comes to mind. He's they type of HC that will give you his first born in a conference like this.

Archived