YouTube | Music Videos

rick34125

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This version of the Led Zeppelin classic was mentioned on Opie & Anthony this morning. Since I had not heard it, I gave it a listen on YouTube. It takes a large pair to cover the masters, but must be amazingly gratifying when you actually pull it off. This might be the best cover of a Led Zep song I have ever heard. I also think Bonzo would have loved Shannon Larkin's drumming.

Godsmack

Good Times, Bad Times

QAYtswTQO2I

Hendrix covering Sgt Pepper. Pretty sure hendrix played this very soon after the album came out. Possibly even the same day. Paul and George were backstage.

eJ_Kip3FP0Q

Edit: from http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/events/blues-based-rock/hendrix-covers-sgt-pepper-two-days-after-its-release/

"Jimi Hendrix, who was already a great fan of the band, bought the album on the day of its release and two days later performed an audacious cover of the title track at the Saville Theatre. He didn't know at the time that some of The Beatles were in the audience. Paul McCartney said later he was honoured by the tribute; 'simply incredible, perhaps the best I have ever seen him play.' "

So it was two days after the release. Pretty cool stuff since he had to learn by ear. He couldn't look up tabs online, even though they are wrong most of the time anyway.

Hendrix covering Sgt Pepper. Pretty sure hendrix played this very soon after the album came out. Possibly even the same day. Paul and George were backstage.

eJ_Kip3FP0Q

Edit: from http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/events/blues-based-rock/hendrix-covers-sgt-pepper-two-days-after-its-release/

"Jimi Hendrix, who was already a great fan of the band, bought the album on the day of its release and two days later performed an audacious cover of the title track at the Saville Theatre. He didn't know at the time that some of The Beatles were in the audience. Paul McCartney said later he was honoured by the tribute; 'simply incredible, perhaps the best I have ever seen him play.' "

So it was two days after the release. Pretty cool stuff since he had to learn by ear. He couldn't look up tabs online, even though they are wrong most of the time anyway.

I knew Hendrix had done this, but never saw or heard it. Thank you so much for posting it. For McCartney to say this is the best he'd ever seen Hendrix play means that Paul was either high or never saw him perform prior or since. Although I am fascinated by the cover, I don't think it's particularly good. Don't get me wrong, he is amazing, as always. You just can't wrap your mind around how he sees--and feels--music. But like so many times before, he seems a bit distracted. I will say that his interpretation on SPLHCB is really imaginative and "out there". On a related note, how amazing is Mitch Mitchell in that clip? Wow.

I knew Hendrix had done this, but never saw or heard it. Thank you so much for posting it. For McCartney to say this is the best he'd ever seen Hendrix play means that Paul was either high or never saw him perform prior or since. Although I am fascinated by the cover, I don't think it's particularly good. Don't get me wrong, he is amazing, as always. You just can't wrap your mind around how he sees--and feels--music. But like so many times before, he seems a bit distracted. I will say that his interpretation on SPLHCB is really imaginative and "out there". On a related note, how amazing is Mitch Mitchell in that clip? Wow.

Agreed. I think Paul was just being nice. Although I heard Paul wanted a really heavy guitar on Sgt Pepper, heavier than they got, and he said Hendrix got the sound he was looking for. George doesn't play guitar on Sgt Pepper if I am correct. Mitch is the man. One of my fav's

Hahaha! Great get. They better send a royalty pronto. Seriously, that Bo Diddly riff has been used a lot, mostly with no credit to Bo. He was the least celebrated from that era. Just a rhythm master. That shuffle beat would make dead people dance.

Haha it most definitely would. Everyone's used it, and you're right, Bo probably got the shaft most of the time. The Stones have Not Fade Away, too.

Hey Borgo, ever catch them live?

Unfortunately not. I waited decades to see Born to Boogie, which was almost exclusively shown in the UK. But I did get to see Humble Pie, The Who, Led Zep, Mott, Queen, Yes, Elvis Costello, The Ramones, Foreigner, Kiss, Angel, ZZ Top, Rush, Todd Rundgren, Entwistle's Ox, Def Lepperd, Iggy, and Joe Jackson to name a few.

Unfortunately not. I waited decades to see Born to Boogie, which was almost exclusively shown in the UK. But I did get to see Humble Pie, The Who, Led Zep, Mott, Queen, Yes, Elvis Costello, The Ramones, Foreigner, Kiss, Angel, ZZ Top, Rush, Todd Rundgren, Entwistle's Ox, Def Lepperd, Iggy, and Joe Jackson to name a few.

Not too shabby. When did you see Queen, Zep, and the Who?

Not too shabby. When did you see Queen, Zep, and the Who?

Queen at the Uris opening for Mott the Hoople on their first tour. Led Zep at the Garden on their last US tour, and the Who a couple of times in the mid-70s. BTW, I put the correct Born to Boogie vid in my earlier post. I've got to pickup my son from the bus stop, so I'll add some other acts I saw later.

Queen at the Uris opening for Mott the Hoople on their first tour. Led Zep at the Garden on their last US tour, and the Who a couple of times in the mid-70s. BTW, I put the correct Born to Boogie vid in my earlier post. I've got to pickup my son from the bus stop, so I'll add some other acts I saw later.

So you saw Queen during Queen I ? ****

l_aNPjTw-nw

So you saw Queen during Queen I ? ****

l_aNPjTw-nw

I have mentioned this before: That show in 1974 is one of my crowning glories. It was billed as the first rock concert on a Broadway stage, the Uris Theater. We were going to see Mott the Hoople, since my friends and I were huge Ian Hunter fanatics. Opening the show was a band named Queen, who I knew nothing about. When I asked one of my buddies who they were, he said they had a song "Liar" on the radio. Well, they were awesome and unbelievably loud. I still remember that Brian May had what appeared to be 10 Vox amps on his side of the stage. Mott was great, too, but Mick Ralphs had departed and Ariel Bender (Luther Grosvenor?) was the new lead guitarist. Go back a few pages, I posted a vid of Mott from that tour, but not at the Uris.

I have mentioned this before: That show in 1974 is one of my crowning glories. It was billed as the first rock concert on a Broadway stage, the Uris Theater. We were going to see Mott the Hoople, since my friends and I were huge Ian Hunter fanatics. Opening the show was a band named Queen, who I knew nothing about. When I asked one of my buddies who they were, he said they had a song "Liar" on the radio. Well, they were awesome and unbelievably loud. I still remember that Brian May had what appeared to be 10 Vox amps on his side of the stage. Mott was great, too, but Mick Ralphs had departed and Ariel Bender (Luther Grosvenor?) was the new lead guitarist. Go back a few pages, I posted a vid of Mott from that tour, but not at the Uris.

Nothing better than going to a concert and getting blown away by the opener. I love that. I'll check out Mott

^That statement takes on a whole nother meaning at a rap concert

I was also fortunate enough to see one of my favorite bands from the 70s, Uriah Heep. Hensley, Byron, Box and Kerslake were still in the band, but my bass idol in those days--Gary Thain--had passed away. When I saw them, he had been replaced by John Wetton of King Crimson--and later Asia--fame.

u0iuaxvkXv4

Other acts I saw include UFO with Michael Schenker, Prince at the Garden in the late 80s, Bonnie Raitt (still the most badass slide player I ever saw), Bruce Hornsby....

HUGE T-Rex fans.

Louis XIV / Paper Doll

BWQ8Cxid-Qg

You have mentioned these guys before. They have a very cool 70s retro vibe. When I heard the opening drum beat to this song, I thought they were going to launch into Jeepster. The singer is awesome, and I like the vintage guitar sound. Thanks!

You have mentioned these guys before. They have a very cool 70s retro vibe. When I heard the opening drum beat to this song, I thought they were going to launch into Jeepster. The singer is awesome, and I like the vintage guitar sound. Thanks!

They were really awesome live. Louis XIV's last album was weird though- they took like 2 years to release it. It was finished but they reworked it in their studio over and over. The early versions of the songs were great but when it came time to listen to the album, the guitars were brought down in the mix for other stringed instruments. Word on the street is they aren't touring with the stringed sections anymore so maybe they are back to rocking out. It's just my opinion though, it wasn't exactly horrible, many fans loved the new album- to each is own.

One thing about them, they always had hot women around them.

This is one of the better songs off of the album: Guilty By Association

NxGCrreYKXk

They were really awesome live. Louis XIV's last album was weird though- they took like 2 years to release it. It was finished but they reworked it in their studio over and over. The early versions of the songs were great but when it came time to listen to the album, the guitars were brought down in the mix for other stringed instruments. Word on the street is they aren't touring with the stringed sections anymore so maybe they are back to rocking out. It's just my opinion though, it wasn't exactly horrible, many fans loved the new album- to each is own.

One thing about them, they always had hot women around them.

This is one of the better songs off of the album: Guilty By Association

NxGCrreYKXk

I actually like the tune. They have managed to capture Brian May's guitar sound and, I swear, the ghost of Mick Ronson is in that song. You're right about the women, too. Wow.

Archived