Tannenbaum Must Go!

rukbat

What another team of NFL have the same problem of us?? Some teams, they build their O-Linemen!!! We neeeeeed to do the same. What is the problem with our GM and Coach's Staff!!! We need look around beyound our OL, the guys agread with me?

But i can be missunderstood, becaue i don't read the all posts of this topic, this can happen cause my english isn't good to understand the mighty stuffs you can say.

Ok, lets looking for the our OL!!!

I believe we can be the moust bigger frinchise of this league, we just need the OL and D#!!!!

Cya!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with you on much of this.

You're implying that only skill position players need time to adjust to the NFL and that's just not true. Almost all positions need a couple years but LT is right up there with the others you mentioned. Most LT don't come in and play great from the start. McNeil was an outlier not the norm. Off the top of my head both Levi Jones and Jonathan Ogden struggled early on. I know Levi Jones wasn't very good until after 3 years when he became one of the top LTs. I remember analysts talking about how Ogden had to be moved to RT when he was young because he couldn't handle LT yet (they were trying to defend Gallery when they said it).

When looking at it through the eyes of a contract you're right they're not getting as much return on investment as they would like but doesn't that happen for the majority of these rookie contracts, even if they're sucessful? Most rookies take 3 years to be worthy of the huge contracts they get when they're drafted.

When you're saying lineman taken high shouldn't have weaknesses I don't think that's true. The only two taken that high that were without weaknesses were Ogden and Pace. Especially Pace since he was just rediculous in college. I believe Jones went top 15 so I dunno if he was a lights out prospect. In Brick's case his extreme athleticism supposedly made up for his average run-blocking ability. Its not so much about having no weaknesses as it is how good of a prospect you are overall. As a prospect Brick was pretty high up there on the all-time LT list.

Also, saying in that draft especially doesn't make sense to me either. As good as McNeil is he fell for a reason. If he didn't have the injury concern he would've gone higher but it is still a weakness. Who else could we have gotten instead of Brick? That wasn't the best o-lineman class ever. Also, he was clearly the best prospect in that class, holes in his game or not, there's no deying that.

Looking at his season I think McNeil makes it look a lot worse than it was. Overall I saw an average year from him last year at LT. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible and he hit a wall towards the end of the season. I just don't understand expecting greatness right off the bat. Again, that almost never happens.

If you wanna start criticizing after this year I can live with that. But I don't like when people jump to conclusions about rookies. They need 3 years to prove themselves one way or the other. At least give it 2 years before you even begin to pass judgement.

Well our opinions just differ on it then. Certain positions, if selected, should have no inherent weaknesses IMO. Otherwise the position can be filled without spending such a high pick and spending so much cap space on.

I am not implying that other positions don't require time to adjust. Left tackles take time to adjust. But the point of taking one that high isn't merely to find the single best talent around (which he was not) at his position. But rather (1) that someone THAT good simply wouldn't be available without such a high pick, and (2) that his learning curve would be much faster than someone else.

One thing I think we can both agree with: I hope he improves b/c we've got him for a long time.

What another team of NFL have the same problem of us?? Some teams, they build their O-Linemen!!! We neeeeeed to do the same. What is the problem with our GM and Coach's Staff!!! We need look around beyound our OL, the guys agread with me?

But i can be missunderstood, becaue i don't read the all posts of this topic, this can happen cause my english isn't good to understand the mighty stuffs you can say.

I believe we can be the moust bigger frinchise of this leaguer, we just need the OL and D#!!!!

Cya!!!

Who can possibly argue with this?

Well our opinions just differ on it then. Certain positions, if selected, should have no inherent weaknesses IMO. Otherwise the position can be filled without spending such a high pick and spending so much cap space on.

I am not implying that other positions don't require time to adjust. Left tackles take time to adjust. But the point of taking one that high isn't merely to find the single best talent around (which he was not) at his position. But rather (1) that someone THAT good simply wouldn't be available without such a high pick, and (2) that his learning curve would be much faster than someone else.

One thing I think we can both agree with: I hope he improves b/c we've got him for a long time.

Yea we'll just have to agree to disagree. I do think he fit your first criteria though, but he obviously hasn't fit the second one.

I think he'll improve with time and while I have my doubts about whether or not he'll reach his high ceiling, I am confident that he'll be one of the better LTs in the league for a while.

Put Brick on the colts, and he gets probowl votes. Guaranteed.

Get a real QB in here who can keep 8 guys off the LOS. Its nearly impossible for the Olineman to know which guys are rushing and where they are going if there are 8 or 9 guys crowded up at the LOS and 5 or 6 are rushing the QB/plugging up any holes to run the ball, on every damn snap.

Brick had his dominance last season, from say weeks 6-12. Then he hit the rookie wall and struggled. I expect him to never be Orlando Pace, but I do expect him to be a top 5 LT by the time we open up the new stadium.

Most if not all of D'Bricks sacks were a result of him just getting beat,not getting confused by a multiple front.

If anything D'Brick would give up ore sacks if he had to play in an offense that required bigger drop backs for passes further down the field.

I don't dispute anything that you are saying here because it certainly makes sense and there was a lot of debate over who we should have picked going into the draft. Some of the players mentioned were guys that panned out, ie: McNeil and Ngata and a lot were guys that underperformed last year. The thing that I took away from the Jets draft last year was that we took a franchise left tackle and a surefire mainstay at center, solidifying the line for the next 10 years. I agree that we shoud lhave addressed the NT position, but one can argue that a stud protecting your QB's blind side is just as valuable. I didn't hear a lot of people trashing the draft last year (except the Schlegel / Smith picks), most were happy, as was I. We're all disappointed in D'Brick to this point, but we can't trash his selection now, when we loved the pick last year. IMO, the huge mistake was not signing Pat Williams when he was a FA two (three?) years ago under the previous regime.

Smart Jets fans didn't like the '06 draft. Alot of Jets fans got carried away with their love affair of D'Brick and that's why they loved that draft. It sucked then, it still sucks now.

Besides the Brick pick there were other problems with that draft. As you pointed out Schlegel was a horrific bust. The Jets took a guy that was going to go 7th round or undrafted with an early 3rd round pick in an excellent draft. There were other questionable picks as well.

Want to know why our offensive and defensive lines suck right now? Tanenbaum decided to go for a back-up safety (Eric Smith) and a 3rd wr (Brad Smith) instead of drafting talented young linemen like Jahri Evans, Gabe Watson, Jon Scott and Ryan O'Callaghan who were all highly touted and still available. Those guys were not flukes like Marques Colston, an unknown coming out of Hofstra. The front office knew about them and passed them over multiple times.

Schlegel, E. Smith and B. Smith. Three picks in a row this regime completely ignored need for guys who weren't even BPA. That was probably an even worse blunder than the Brick pick.

Smart Jets fans didn't like the '06 draft. Alot of Jets fans got carried away with their love affair of D'Brick and that's why they loved that draft. It sucked then, it still sucks now.

Besides the Brick pick there were other problems with that draft. As you pointed out Schlegel was a horrific bust. The Jets took a guy that was going to go 7th round or undrafted with an early 3rd round pick in an excellent draft. There were other questionable picks as well.

Want to know why our offensive and defensive lines suck right now? Tanenbaum decided to go for a back-up safety (Eric Smith) and a 3rd wr (Brad Smith) instead of drafting talented young linemen like Jahri Evans, Gabe Watson, Jon Scott and Ryan O'Callaghan who were all highly touted and still available. Those guys were not flukes like Marques Colston, an unknown coming out of Hofstra. The front office knew about them and passed them over multiple times.

Schlegel, E. Smith and B. Smith. Three picks in a row this regime completely ignored need for guys who weren't even BPA. That was probably an even worse blunder than the Brick pick.

Some good points there.

The 06 draft was definitely tricky, having those QBs available, and having the 4th overall pick..

Personally, i thought brick was overrated, having seen him play in college for a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. I was glad they passed on Leinart, and glad they took some linemen, but if their plan was to remodel the D into a 3-4, and they knew they didnt have the right personnel for it, it seems that it should have been a no-brainer to select the BA NT.

I dont usually get into second guessing the picks, and i strongly defended taking Nuge when they did (and didnt jump off his wagon when he had a terrible game), but i am not sold on Brick then, or now, as a fourth overall pick.

I believe we can be the moust bigger frinchise of this league, we just need the OL and D#!!!!

Cya!!!

And it was edited??? What did it look like before?

I am kidding, mi amigo. :) We welcome you.

Ummm wasnt his first ever draft pick an offensive lineman? Remind me again what position his second ever pick plays? Oh right, center, on the offensive line! The issue with Kendall wasnt about numerics -1 million- it was about the principle of the numerics. He feared, and probably rightefully so, that if he agreed to give Pete a raise their would be a line monday morning outside his office of players demanding the same...one loss and your ready to fire the guy? Cmon now.

Archived