NY Jets news articles- 9/20-

Kentucky Jet

Healed Pennington to start

Thursday, September 20, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- One look at quarterback Chad Pennington high-stepping over a line of raised blocking pads during a pre-practice drill yesterday told you all you needed to know. Pennington's sprained right ankle is just about healed, and he'll start Sunday against the Dolphins at Giants Stadium.

Pennington, who last Wednesday could hardly put pressure on the ankle, participated fully without a problem during the 30-minute portion of the practice open to the media. He threw without a hitch and put his total weight on the ankle.

"I've made a lot of progress, rehabbing and working extremely hard around the clock," said Pennington, who rode the train home with his teammates and then went directly to the training room at the Jets' complex following Sunday's 20-13 loss in Baltimore. He didn't get home until 2:30 a.m. Monday morning.

The Jets didn't go through drills in which the first and second team could be determined while the media was present -- as they usually do, but Pennington was expected to work with the first team. Coach Eric Mangini said before practice that he was going to monitor Pennington's reps so as to not overwork him.

"We'll make sure that we're getting him enough reps so that he can be prepared," Mangini said.

Pennington, who watched backup Kellen Clemens engineer a stunning fourth-quarter rally against the Ravens, had the unyielding support of Mangini throughout his injury.

"I understand the situation and I know what this business is about," Pennington said. "Nothing ever surprises me. ... I'm not looking behind me or too far ahead. I'm looking to today to get better and see what I can do to help us win. It's a long season and a lot of things happen."

Asked if he was disappointed over the ground swell of fans calling for Clemens to replace him, Pennington said, "No, it's not disappointing. I'm very confident in my ability to help us win and to play in this league."

Pennington, who said he felt "horrible" standing on the sideline, didn't play in a game when healthy enough to do so for the first time since he became the starter in 2002. He was listed as having limited participation in practice yesterday.

Rookie CB Darrelle Revis has taken Andre Dyson's starting job and has the look of a shut-down corner. Surprisingly, teams aren't going at him as you would expect.

"He's playing great," said veteran CB David Barrett, adding that the physical Revis is excellent at jamming receivers at the line. "I have to tip my hat to him. I didn't expect him to come in and grasp it this fast, but he did."

Revis attributes his fast development to studying during his 20-day holdout and not being behind mentally when he arrived.

Mangini called Ravens coach Brian Billick on Tuesday night concerning allegations by Billick that the Jets illegally shouted signals to intentionally draw the Ravens offense into false starts. Mangini said he told Billick he doesn't coach his players to cause penalties.

"I felt very good about the conversation," Mangini said.

Asked if the move by Billick was backlash from him violating an unwritten rule in turning in old pal Bill Belichick for videotaping the Jets defensive signals, Mangini said, "I feel very comfortable with the people that I've known and know throughout the league. I feel very comfortable with the situation."

Jets DE/LB David Bowens, who spent the past 5 1/2 years in Miami, is amped to face his former teammates.

"When I get in there, I'll be excited," Bowens said. "Jason (Taylor) and Vonnie (Holiday) and I are good friends. I'll speak to them before the game, but during the game, it's time to play. After the game, we'll be friends again."

Bowens, who notched 18 sacks in the past three seasons with Miami, was signed primarily for his pass-rushing ability. But he hasn't played much although the Jets have no sacks and no turnovers in two games.

"I'm just being patient," he said. ...

FB Darian Barnes spent the past two seasons in Miami.

The Jets signed second-year G Will Montgomery, who started four games for the Panthers last season -- three at left guard and one at right guard. He was among the Panthers' final cuts and replaces Pro Bowl KR Justin Miller on the roster. He'll wear No. 66, Pete Kendall's old number.

RB Leon Washington, who returns punts, will replace Miller as the Jets' primary kickoff returner. Revis returned punts in college and could see action there to lighten Washington's load.

WR Justin McCareins, who dropped two sure touchdown passes against the Ravens, said Sunday can't get here fast enough, adding that "you want to earn trust back from your teammates and coaches." ... WR Laveranues Coles suffered an apparent concussion against the Dolphins last December when hit by LB Zach Thomas, who didn't practice for Miami yesterday because of a migraine. ... The New England-New York shuttle service continued with the Patriots recently re-signing ex-Jets practice squad S Ray Ventrone, who was on the Pats last season.

CHAD HAS THE KEYS

QB'S BACK IN DRIVER'S SEAT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

FRONT & CENTER: Chad Pennington, who missed last week's game in Baltimore with a sprained ankle, worked with the first team yesterday in practice.September 20, 2007 -- Order was restored on the practice field yesterday. Chad Pennington was again taking snaps with the Jets' first-team offense.

Eric Mangini, as usual, played coy about his definitive plans at quarterback, but if you're a fantasy football participant, take this advice for your roster this week: Don't start Kellen Clemens.

Because, barring an unforeseen Pennington setback with his sprained right ankle, the Jets won't be starting Clemens, who'll have to wait to build on his terrific fourth-quarter performance from last Sunday. Pennington will face Miami this Sunday.

Even Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron said he expects Pennington to play.

"We'll be prepared for both, but I would be surprised if Chad didn't play," Cameron said yesterday.

"Knowing the kind of competitor [Pennington] is and [the Jets] playing at home all factor in. We would think he is going to play. I've always been impressed with Kellen and was as he was coming out of college. I worked him out and thought highly of him. I thought his performance against Baltimore was rough but he hung in there and gave the Jets an opportunity to win the game late."

The 0-2 Jets need more than "rough" at quarterback - particularly with Dolphins game-wrecker Jason Taylor lining up over D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who was a bit rickety against the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year last season.

When Pennington was asked point blank yesterday if he expects to start, he toed the company line and steered away from saying anything definitive.

"My goal is to be available," Pennington said. "I'm going to prepare just like I always prepare and work just as hard as I always have worked. Nothing has changed for me as far as my mindset and my focus and what I'm trying to do. That's my job as a player and my goal. I'll leave the decision up to Coach."

After a hellish week of rehabbing, Pennington pronounced himself as "ready to go" for the Ravens game and was privately miffed when Mangini opted for Clemens.

By everyone's admission, though, Pennington's progress has been significant and it appears it would take a major unexpected setback to keep him out Sunday.

"I've made a lot of progress," Pennington said, crediting the Jets' medical and training staff. "People inside and outside of the organization are really working hard, focusing on getting better, rehabbing and working extremely hard around the clock. I'm making progress and I feel really good about the situation."

Asked how close he was to playing last Sunday, Pennington said, "I worked and prepared extremely hard on an injury that normally takes some time [from which to recover]. My goal was to be available on Sunday and I was available. I left it up to Coach to make that decision [on who started].

"That's why he's the head coach. He makes those decisions. Once he did, I turned my focus to helping Kellen as much as I could on the sideline and giving him my knowledge of what I was seeing during the game."

Asked how badly he wanted to Play in the 20-13 loss, Pennington said, "Every game, I want to be there. I've experienced being on the sideline before with injuries and that's a horrible feeling because you can't help your teammates physically or mentally on the field - and that's where it counts the most."

And where he will be on Sunday.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

For Some, Video Incident Raises Questions About Mangini

By JUDY BATTISTA

Published: September 20, 2007

Spygate did more than deepen the fissure between coaches Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick. It set off a debate in the N.F.L. community about whose behavior was more troubling. The Patriots and Belichick for breaking league rules? Or the Jets and Mangini for breaching an unspoken code among coaches by allowing his team to turn in his former mentor?

Unlike the video evidence that the Jets gave the N.F.L., the answer is more nuanced. Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots $250,000. The team possibly could lose a first-round draft pick, but Mangini

CHEAT CLAIM BY RAVENS IS BOGUS: VILMA

By MARK CANNIZZARO

September 20, 2007 -- Jets players, along with Eric Mangini, yesterday scoffed at the accusations made by Ravens coach Brian Billick about their defense illegally barking out cadence signals and forcing his players into illegal-motion penalties.

"We aren't coached to do that and we don't play that way," Jets defensive captain Jonathan Vilma said. "I know it's a sensitive issue after what happened out of New England [bill Belichick Spygate], but I would hope [billick] had some concrete evidence that we were doing that before making an [accusation].

"In two years being coached [by Mangini], no one has ever complained about this - not even the Bills, Dolphins and Patriots, who we play twice a year. All I can say is we don't do it."

Chad Pennington called what went on in Baltimore "part of the game."

"That's happened to us before," Pennington said. "What you try to do is get back in the huddle and talk to your guys about understanding and listening to the sound of your voice. You talk about mixing up the snap counts to where your offensive line and offense is one step ahead, they're listening to you and they know the rhythm of the cadence that you are on. That's the advantage you have as an offense.

"All of us here at the Jets take pride in competing hard, fairly and doing everything we can in our own power to give ourselves an advantage within the rules."

Mangini said he phoned Billick Tuesday, saying, "It was important for me to talk to him and make sure we didn't have a misunderstanding. We don't coach things like that. I felt very good about the conversation."

WR Justin McCareins, who dropped two possible game-tying TD passes in the final moments of the Jets' 20-13 loss Sunday, said yesterday he's moved on from the disappointment and that "it's business as usual."

"We all know the game is made of opportunities to win and the defense gave us a great opportunity and Kellen [Clemens] gave us a great chance at the end and I didn't deliver; I didn't make it happen when it counted," he said. "I look forward to getting more opportunities to earn the trust back from my teammates."

The Jets yesterday signed offensive lineman Will Montgomery to the active roster. Montgomery, 6-2, 312 out of Virginia Tech, was drafted by Carolina in the seventh round (234th overall) in 2006. He appeared in seven games for the Panthers last year, starting three at left guard and one at right guard . . . Dolphins LB Zach Thomas didn't practice yesterday because of migraine headaches, though he's expected to play Sunday.

Catching good days amid bad

BY KEVIN MANAHAN

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- It's halftime on Sunday, and the microphone stand has been positioned near midfield on the naked acre of artificial turf at Giants Stadium. More than 70,000 Jets fans are eager to cheer a brave hero who has come to receive, finally, the thanks of a franchise, but also to say the misty-eyed goodbye his cruel exit from the brutal game never allowed.

Two years after his retirement, hundreds in the stands still wear his No. 80 jersey, and Wayne Chrebet -- surrounded by his wife and children, his parents, team officials and former players -- hears his name and walks slowly toward the mike. He is bear-hugged by the thunderous applause given to one of the most popular players of this era.

A million things and nothing are racing through his mind at the same time. He looks around the stadium: The three packed decks are now eerily still. The fans wait and listen. And wait. And wait.

But Chrebet, in a cold-sweat panic, can't remember what he wants to say...

Standing behind the downstairs bar at the Hempstead restaurant that bears his name, Chrebet, in a baseball cap and T-shirt, takes a deep breath, refocuses and leaps back into the present. It was just a cruel daydream.

"That's my biggest fear," he says. "I know what I want to say, but I'm afraid I won't be able to remember it. My memory isn't very good. I could write it down, but I don't want to go up there and just read something. I want it to be from the heart, but I want to remember it, too.

"How would you feel, talking in front of 70,000 people and everybody hanging on your words, especially with my memory?"

Six documented concussions -- in all probability, he suffered twice as many in his career -- forced Chrebet, the sure-handed and fearless wide receiver, into retirement after the 2005 season. Today, the migraines and darkness still stalk him, sneaking up from behind like a cheap-shotting cornerback.

And Sunday, when the Jets honor him at halftime of their game against the Miami Dolphins, Chrebet hopes the temporarily unshakable sadness won't hold him hostage. He wants the fans to see him, if not as he was, at least at his postcareer best. But he won't be sure until Sunday morning.

"I have good days and bad days," Chrebet says. "A bad day is when you can't get out of bed and there's this dark cloud hanging over your head. A good day is anything else. But you know right away. I know as soon as I wake up what kind of day it'll be.

"Sometimes the bad days and good days go back and forth. Sometimes you get a bunch of them in a row. It's not an exact science. The bad days happen. You just try to make the best of it. But when it's bad, it's really bad. It's not the kind of thing you can talk yourself out of. If it was, I would do it."

After all, the Garfield native talked himself into the NFL, then talked himself into the Jets' starting lineup as an undersized, undrafted free agent from across the Hofstra University parking lot. And when the 11-year career, which went from a storybook to a medical journal, was over -- after all of the crossing patterns and crushing hits -- Chrebet had the second-most catches in the franchise's history, with 580 for 7,365 yards.

Forty-one receptions went for touchdowns, 379 for first downs.

But, like many others, he paid a price. A 2005 study by the Center for the Study of Retired Athletes said former NFL players who suffered three or more concussions are five times more likely to have cognitive problems and three times more likely to have serious memory lapses than players without a history of concussions. Another study revealed that players with three or more concussions are three times more likely to suffer from depression. The NFL, which refutes the findings, says it will spend $2 million to conduct its own study.

Whatever those results, it will be too late for Chrebet, just 34 years old.

Five minutes into an interview this week, he admits that he can't remember the reporter's name. "I remember the faces, not the names," he says. He loses his car keys like anyone else, "but it just happens to me more than other people." He'd like to meditate or read, but he can't concentrate enough.

He can't make the drive from his home in Colts Neck, N.J., to Hempstead, or anywhere, without a navigational system. He remembers the time, after one of his final games, when he drove from the stadium to a house where he no longer lived. His wife directed him home.

"If it wasn't for the GPS in my car, I'd be in trouble," Chrebet says. "If I have one of those, I'm usually fine. If not, I panic."

But football is different. Sit him in front of a game with a team running the West Coast offense, and Chrebet can call out the plays before the snap. Names are a problem. Dates are a problem. Highways are a Sudoku puzzle. But offenses and defenses are a breeze.

"It's like riding a bike," he says. "After hundreds of hours of watching tape, I'll never forget that. It's in my blood."

The Monday night football crowd has filled Chrebet's restaurant across the street from the entrance to Hofstra University and the Jets' practice facility. The waitresses hustle from kitchen to table with plates of Chrebet's Famous Wings, the most popular item on the menu. Tonight, they're 10 cents each.

With an off-day Tuesday, Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles sits with his buddy in the first booth, just inside the front door.

"He's the only reason I'm here," Coles says.

Fans, on their way to the tables and flat-screen televisions in the back, stop, introduce themselves and collect an occasional autograph. They mention games and plays -- highlights, usually -- of Chrebet's career. Some he remembers, some he doesn't. But he doesn't tell them. He nods and smiles, thanks them for coming, and signs whatever they place on the table.

He enjoys the interaction, because "someday they won't want my autograph. Somebody once told me that," he says.

The greeting, however, is always the same: Wayne, how are you doing?

"I say, 'Fine. How are you doing?'" Chrebet says. "They're happy to see me, but it's like they don't expect to see me here. They read all of the stuff about how badly I was hurt and they think the worst. But I'm okay."

He is a Hail Mary pass from the college stadium and NFL practice field where he starred, but he refuses to cross Hempstead Turnpike and visit.

"I don't want to be like the kid who was afraid to leave high school," Chrebet says. "They've moved on. I've moved on. Besides, who wants to see what they're missing? It still hurts. If someone said I could play again, I'd be back out there tomorrow."

Instead, he spends his days with his trotters -- Southwind Tempo won six races in a row this summer -- his restaurant and his family. While his wife Amy knows to leave him alone on a bad day, his two young children, Lukas and Cade, don't always understand Daddy's funk.

"They jump on you," he says. "They want to lay with you. But the whole time I'm with them, I'm thinking what a crappy day I'm having. I'm pushing them on the swing, thinking, 'Today stinks.' It's a shame.'"

He can't believe the Jets are honoring him, and he won't speculate on having his jersey retired. (The Jets won't say.) He's just glad to have the chance to say goodbye: "I'm grateful for what I get," Chrebet says. He isn't bitter.

"It's my own fault," he says. "I could have gone out of bounds more. I could've ducked under tackles. They told me, 'Be careful. One more concussion and you're done.' I played the same way. Whose fault is that?"

As the interview ends, he wonders: "So, is this going to be a good piece or a bad piece?" What would be a bad piece?

"One that makes people feel sorry for me," he says. "I'm happy. Who wouldn't trade for the career I've had? Tell them I'm happy, because I really am."

Kevin Manahan may be reached at

kmanahan@starledger.com

No rivalry like Red Sox vs. Yankees

Posted on Thu, Sep. 20, 2007Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

By GREG COTE

gcote@MiamiHerald.com

Greg Cote's blog | Dolphins-Jets our best rivalry?

The Dolphins visit the New York Jets this week and it probably is the best sports rivalry involving any South Florida team, which is pretty sad when you think about it.

The matchup would win purely by default. Better we should vacate the title, because we have no great or intense or classic rivalries among our big teams. None.

The anticipation and excitement embodied by Red Sox-Yankees or Michigan-Ohio State or Duke-North Carolina -- the circling in red on a calendar when the schedules first come out -- we don't know about that. Can't feel it. Don't have it.

There isn't even much all that special about Dolphins-Jets beyond the fact so many transplants live down here and reprise that grating ''J-E-T-S!'' chant at Dolphin Stadium, which they do in an apparent continuing effort to convince us they're not too dumb to spell simple words, after all.

Who is the Dolphins' biggest rival if not the Jets? If the answer isn't obvious, if you can't answer instantly and with conviction, there in and of itself is your answer. If you have to think that hard to name your one biggest rival, you don't have one.

Marlins fans might be split among the Braves, Mets and Phillies for our best baseball rivalry, meaning none of them has risen to earn the title outright.

The Heat and Knicks seemed to have something that simmered and boiled, once. Now? Your guess is as good as mine.

The Panthers? Um, ah -- help me out here.

Miami Hurricanes? The Florida Gators were a bona fide rival, once, but that petered out after the schools stopped playing football annually in 1987. Now you might say FSU Seminoles, but mostly out of obligation or an absence of alternatives. The series lacks a required animus. How can you hate an opponent coached by grandpa Bobby dadgum Bowden?

RAGING ON

The lack of a fierce rivalry down here makes me appreciate all the more what is raging at the moment in the AL East, with the Boston Red Sox trying to stave off the hard-charging New York Yankees.

For me there is no greater duel of teams, year in year out, in American sport.

Tar Heels and Blue Devils in college basketball is a backyard fight between schools eight miles apart. Wolverines-Buckeyes has a regional appeal.

Red Sox-Yankees grips the entire Northeast and reverberates around the country, because we don't have many true ''national teams'' in terms of coast to coast interest, but two of them wear the B and NY on their ubiquitous caps.

I align with Red Sox Nation, having been born in Lawrence, Mass., and having fallen in love with the sport as a young boy that one summer in 1967 when ''The Impossible Dream'' was being dreamed and I adopted a player whose last name I couldn't spell so I spelled it Yaz.

Some of you may recall that back in the spring I wrote an unabashedly lopsided column crowing when my Red Sox's division lead had ballooned to, I think, 12 games. Already and with glee I had determined that 'NY' on the hats stood for Next Year.

FULL OF INTENSITY

Plenty of Yankees fans let me know my crowing may have been premature.

They were right then, as now. But I was only tweaking while I had the chance. Part of what distinguishes Red Sox-Yankees is the interplay between the fans, who enjoy as robust a rivalry as their teams.

Boston's division lead had shrunk to a mere 2

Jets notebook

Confident Chad

Although he participated in practice on a limited basis, just as he did last week because of his injured right ankle, Chad Pennington looked much better in practice Wednesday. Pennington walked without a limp and it seems as if he is on track to start against Miami on Sunday, barring a setback. He was the No. 2 quarterback at Baltimore and didn't play.

Before practice, Pennington said he was "making progress and I feel really good about the situation. ... My goal is to be available [to play Sunday]. I'm going to prepare just like I always prepare and work just as hard as I always have worked. ... I'll leave the decision up to the coach.''

Eric Mangini said Wednesday that he would make the "final decision" on whether Pennington starts. "We're ahead of where we were last week, obviously," Mangini added, referring to Pennington's physical condition.

Talking it out

Mangini said that he spoke to Baltimore coach Brian Billick on the phone Tuesday. Billick had accused the Jets' defenders of calling out fake snap counts Sunday to lure the Ravens into false-start penalties.

"We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important for me to talk to him and make sure that we didn't have a misunderstanding. We don't coach things that cause penalties. ... I feel very comfortable with where we are in the situation and the people that I know throughout the league."

Said Billick: "I was being critical of the officiating. It had nothing to do with Eric Mangini."

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma also denied the allegations.

"We've got too much to worry about to try to make a dummy call to draw them offsides," said Vilma, who usually is responsible for calling the defensive signals. "I know we don't do it."

Briefs

The Jets signed second-year offensive lineman Will Montgomery, who can play guard and center. He started four games at guard for Carolina last season before being released this year. ... WR Jerricho Cotchery (shoulder) practiced on a limited basis and RB Thomas Jones (calf) practiced full for the first time since prior to the Jets' preseason opener Aug. 10.

-- J.P. Pelzman

Jets still capable of happy returns

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- With Justin Miller out for the season with a knee injury, the Jets filled his roster spot Wednesday. They signed Will Montgomery.

Considering that Montgomery is a 6-foot-2, 312-pound guard, one of two conclusions can be drawn. Coach Eric Mangini is taking his philosophy of "position flexibility" to another level, or the Jets have plenty of confidence in their other kickoff returners.

That second conclusion is understandable, considering that both Leon Washington and Brad Smith also have the potential to be game-breakers.

"It's a big deal," Smith said of the loss of Miller, who was placed on injured reserve Tuesday. "Justin is a really good player and he made a lot of plays for us."

Miller had two kickoff returns for touchdowns last season and led the NFL with a 28.3-yard average on his way to a Pro Bowl appearance.

"Everybody has to pick up the slack and come in and help," Smith said.

"I like some of the things that Brad did in the preseason as a kickoff returner," Mangini said, adding that Washington "has really made strides from last season both as a punt and a kickoff returner."

In fact, the Jets had to go throughout the preseason without Miller. He sat out all four preseason games after suffering a hamstring injury in an intrasquad scrimmage Aug. 5.

In his absence, Smith had five returns for 129 yards, with a long gain of 46. And Washington had an 86-yard return against Atlanta that set up a Jets touchdown. Through the first two regular-season games, the Jets have yet to show that explosiveness.

Miller, who apparently was still bothered by his hamstring injury before he suffered the season-ending knee injury at Baltimore, had two returns for 48 yards. Washington has five returns for 114 yards, a 22.8 average, with a long return of 32 yards.

Mangini said, "One of the things that's important with both [kickoff and punt returns] is understanding the return that you're setting up. So last week [against Baltimore] we had a right [side] return on and we just couldn't get past the first element to get to the [blocking] wall that was building."

Washington said he likes doing it, despite the fact that his opponents are running full speed at him and often are literally on a collision course.

"I definitely enjoy it," he said. "It's a part of the game that's critical when it comes to field position. ... You're trying to make 10 or 11 guys miss and you're trying to set up your blocks."

Washington, who also is returning punts this season, believes his other role of running back is a help on returns.

"I'm used to running in cluttered spaces all the time," he said.

"Leon is liable to take one to the house any time," said second-year pro Wallace Wright, one of the Jets' special-teams aces.

Wright, who returned kicks in college at North Carolina, had his first pro return Sunday, a 28-yarder after Miller was injured. He's also one of the Jets' key blockers on kickoff returns.

"It's a team game," Wright said. "It's 10 other guys besides Justin. Justin went to the Pro Bowl and he's a great returner, but since he's out, we've got to pick up the slack a little bit and make sure it doesn't take a step down, and keep up to the high expectations that everybody has for the kickoff return unit."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Pennington set to try to turn Jets around

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

When Chad Pennington hopped off the field 11 days ago, slamming his helmet to the ground once he reached the sideline, he looked like a quarterback whose gut was telling him it was going to be a long time before he took another snap. That, Pennington revealed yesterday, was indeed the initial fear.

"(It's) an injury that normally takes some time," said Pennington, coming clean on his high-ankle sprain.

Through determination, round-the-clock rehab and advice from former teammate Curtis Martin, who made a career of playing hurt, Pennington's time on the sideline lasted only one week. Barring a setback in practice, he's set to start Sunday against the Dolphins at the Meadowlands.

"I've made a lot of progress," said the Jets' starter, showing no ill effects during the 30-minute media window at practice - a session in which he shared reps with Kellen Clemens. "I feel really good about the situation."

If the Jets can get a feel-good performance from Pennington, it might heal their season quicker than the trainers restored his ankle. They're 0-2, having played well in only three quarters, and they desperately need a victory to stay away from the edge of the abyss.

As well as Clemens played in his starting debut last weekend in Baltimore, the Jets are a better team with Pennington because of his intangibles. But there's a pro-Clemens faction outside the organization, probably the same fans that cheered so enthusiastically when Pennington was replaced by Clemens in the opener.

"No, it's not disappointing," Pennington said of the public sentiment. "I'm very confident in my ability to help us win and to play in this league. I feel good about it."

For Pennington, there's nothing better than facing the Dolphins (0-2), whose perennially strong defense hasn't been able to figure him out.

Consider: Pennington's starting record against Miami is 6-1, including a five-game winning streak. In those seven starts, he has nine touchdown passes, only one interception and a 96.7 passer rating. And he has thrown 116 consecutive passes without an interception against Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Co.

The Dolphins, struggling under rookie coach Cam Cameron, are preparing for both Pennington and Clemens. Eric Mangini, who refuses to discuss injuries, has declined to name the starter. But the Dolphins can see through the smoke.

"We'll be prepared for both," Cameron said, "but I would be surprised if Chad didn't play."

Pennington was designated as the No.2 quarterback in Baltimore, meaning the coaches felt he was well enough to step in if Clemens had gotten hurt. Afterward, a disappointed Pennington said he was "ready to play." It was the first time in his starting tenure, which began in 2002, that he was on the 45-man roster and didn't play. He looked so uncomfortable on the sideline that he actually wore his helmet instead of the ubiquitous baseball cap, resembling a forlorn kid being held out of recess.

"It's a horrible feeling because you can't help," he said. "Any time I feel like I can be available and help us win, I want to do that."

When the Jets returned home Sunday night, Pennington reported to Weeb Ewbank Hall, where he stayed in the trainer's room until the wee hours. He didn't get home until 2:30 a.m. Obviously, the sense of urgency is heightened. There's no such thing as a must-win game in September, but this is about as close as it gets to that.

Mangini has left no doubt that he wants Pennington on the field, but he also doesn't want to push him too hard, risking a setback. "We're ahead of where we were last week," Mangini said. "We'll make sure that we're getting him enough reps so he can be prepared, but not going so far, especially early in the week, that he has to scale back Thursday and Friday."

For Pennington and the Jets, it's all about Sunday.

Belicheat apologists have signals crossed

Bill Belichick, the master of deceptive defenses, has somehow come up with the greatest game plan of his career. He's found a way to turn himself into a martyr.

Thanks to some creative spinning by Belichick apologists, Eric Mangini is being portrayed as the bad guy/rat for turning in his one-time mentor and friend for cheating against him in the season opener.

To suggest Mangini is ungrateful and should have ignored his former boss blatantly cheating against him in his own house is ludicrous. "This is obviously a competitive league and you're talking about someone in the same division," one head coach said yesterday. "I don't think the football coaching world looks at it as if Eric turned his back on Belichick. The football world looks at it like the Patriots got busted."

Mangini is no saint. He was on Belichick's staff in New England, and if the Patriots benefitted by Belichick cheating - why else would he continue to do it? - that means Mangini benefitted as well, even if stealing defensive signals didn't help Mangini, a defensive coach. If New England didn't win three Super Bowls, would the Jets have hired Mangini as their head coach before he even turned 35?

But when Mangini's job changed, so did his allegiance.

There was a Belichick lovefest in Foxboro the other night. He was given a standing ovation when he ran onto the field before the victory over the Chargers, his players hugged him after the game and Belichick even waved to the fans. In an emotional locker room, Pats owner Robert Kraft incredibly presented Belichick with the game ball. This was after Belichick got Kraft fined $250,000 as part of Roger Goodell's punishment. More could be on the way as the investigation continues.

But now this story has turned into Mangini being disloyal to the man who got him into the business, which supposedly has made Mangini an outcast, even a target, in the coaching fraternity by breaking some kind of code.

What is that code? Let a guy with three Super Bowls rings get a fourth?

"I feel very comfortable with the people that I've known and know throughout the league," Mangini said. "I feel very comfortable with the situation."

His relationship with Belichick deteriorated last year when the Patriots filed tampering charges against the Jets - in essence, accusing the Jets of cheating, of all things - in the Deion Branch case. Goodell cleared the Jets of any wrongdoing in February. So, the relationship was too far gone for Mangini to call Belichick this summer during training camp and give him a friendly warning to cut out the video spying in the opener or he would turn him in.

Mangini's loyalty is to the Jets, not Belichick. If Belichick had the audacity to cheat against someone who was onto him, then he deserved to get caught. Mangini owed it to his players to prevent Belichick from gaining an edge that violated the rules.

Although Jets owner Woody Johnson was not available for comment yesterday, a source close to him said he unconditionally backs Mangini and the actions of the Jets security staff in the SypGate scandal.

"I don't think the coaching fraternity is turning on Eric," one head coach said. "The guy is trying to win the game and he owes it to the organization to take care of his team. The biggest thing is you don't want it to happen to you."

When Brian Billick said the Jets were disrupting the Ravens' offensive signals last week, it was viewed as anti-Mangini backlash. But in talking to the Daily News on Tuesday night, Billick was emphatic that he was criticizing the officials for not penalizing the Jets, not criticizing the Jets for doing it. He said he was not piling on Mangini. Besides, he says, he coaches his defensive players to bark out signals.

Clearly, the Belichick-Mangini relationship is destroyed beyond repair.

"Belichick isn't the warmest, cuddliest guy. He's constantly flaunting his influence," one NFC assistant coach said. "Here's an example: (San Francisco's) Mike Nolan wants to wear a suit on the sideline, a real classy thing for the league, but they won't let him because it's not Reebok apparel. Belichick, he goes against the norm. He wears this dirty, hooded sweatshirt, with the sleeves cut off, but he gets away with it because it's Reebok. He looks like a slob, but he doesn't care because no one can say anything."

One head coach is sure Belichick's video spying helped the Patriots, because his own team was able to steal defensive signals visually and legally. "Here's how the play sounds," he said. "You're the quarterback and you have a headset. I'm going to hit this button and say, 'Green right, fox 2, wide ram.' Then end it with, 'Heads up for Cover 2.' It can be beneficial."

Belichick was punished by Goodell. Belichick never confirmed he was a cheater. He never denied it either. We do know he's now a martyr.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

Jets snap back at Billick

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets insisted yesterday they don't cheat.

"I think all of us here at the Jets take pride in competing hard, fairly and doing everything we can in our own power to give ourselves an advantage within the rules," QB Chad Pennington said.

Said coach Eric Mangini: "We don't coach things to get penalties."

This, of course, was in response to Brian Billick's comments from Monday, when he said the Jets were "illegally simulating" the Ravens' snap count in Sunday's game to draw false-start penalties. Echoing what he told the Daily News Tuesday night, Billick issued a public apology yesterday to Mangini, claiming his ire was directed at the officials for not penalizing the Jets for their alleged tactics.

Billick still believes the Jets deliberately simulated the snap counts - some apology, huh? - but he said it's no big deal because his team does it, too.

The Jets didn't appreciate the accusations. "If he feels that way, I feel bad for him because we don't do it. We didn't do it," LB Jonathan Vilma said. "For anyone to say we did it, come out with (evidence) and we'll see."

In 18 games under Mangini, the Jets have drawn 22 false-start penalties while committing 17 of their own, hardly a wild discrepancy. The Ravens were flagged three times Sunday.

Mangini confirmed that he spoke with Billick on Tuesday.

"We had a good conversation," said Mangini, who has received criticism for his role in SpyGate. "It was important for me to talk to him and make sure that we didn't have a misunderstanding."

Billick claimed he never thought his comments would create a firestorm. But, coming in the aftermath of SpyGate, they were painted as another coach blowing the whistle on a counterpart. "I apologize for being that na

ABOUT THE DOLPHINS

September 20, 2007

Coach

Cam Cameron, first season (0-2)

Last week

Lost to the Cowboys, 37-20

About the offense

It's a similar system to the one Cameron ran in San Diego when he was the offensive coordinator, and Eric Mangini said Brian Schottenheimer's familiarity with it as a quarterbacks coach is one of the reasons Schottenheimer is the Jets' offensive coordinator. So far, however, the Dolphins aren't as adept at it as the Chargers were (perhaps LaDainian Tomlinson has something to do with that). The Jets can't mock the Fins' 303.5 yards or 16.5 points per game stats too much because they are below those numbers themselves, but QB Trent Green's four interceptions should have the turnover-less Jets defense thinking about big plays. WR Chris Chambers is off to a good start, averaging slightly more than 100 yards per game, but with no touchdowns.

About the defense

Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas. For the last decade or so you could sum up the Dolphins' defense with those two names. And you still can. Taylor is the reigning Defensive Player of the Year and Thomas is again among the league leaders in tackles. But the Dolphins also added LB Joey Porter to the mix, and despite missing all of the preseason games after arthroscopic knee surgery, he's fitting nicely in Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme. The secondary gave up only 166 passing yards to the Cowboys and 191 to the Redskins.

The bottom line

Both teams are desperate for a win after 0-2 starts. Cameron's been around the league a while, but this is the first time Mangini will go against someone less experienced than he is as a head coach. Last year the Jets won a tough battle in Miami on Christmas night, propelling them into the playoffs. Look for rookie Ted Ginn Jr. to have a big special-teams day against the Jets, who have had trouble covering kickoffs. Whoever wins will have an advantage when they play again in December; in the last 11 years the teams split their regular-season series only twice, with the Jets sweeping six times and the Dolphins doing it three.

Expect Jets to start Chad against Dolphins

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

September 20, 2007

Eric Mangini has maintained that Chad Pennington is the Jets' starting quarterback, and that when Pennington is healthy enough to return from his right ankle injury he would reassume the role.

That time appears to be now.

For the first time since he hopped off the field after throwing a third-quarter touchdown against the Patriots on Sept. 9, Pennington was in control of the offense. A week ago he was unable to skip over blocking pads during team agility drills. Yesterday he not only navigated them but also took the bulk of first-team reps in the first practice of the week. There seems little doubt that nothing short of a medical setback can stop Pennington from playing against the Dolphins on Sunday.

Well, nothing short of a setback or the coach.

"I'll make the final decision," said Mangini, who last week determined that Pennington was healthy enough to be the active backup against the Ravens but did not start him even though Pennington later said he was ready to play.

"We're ahead of where we were last week, obviously," Mangini said. "We'll make sure that we're getting him enough reps so that he can be prepared, but not going so far, especially early in the week, that he has to scale back on Thursday or Friday. So we'll monitor that. We'll see how that goes."

Mangini said that by controlling Pennington's practice time, it not only reduces the risk of a setback but also carves out space in the rotation to give backup Kellen Clemens ample time to prepare in case he is called upon again.

Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said he is preparing for either quarterback, but even he can figure out what's going on. "Knowing the kind of competitor [Chad] is and playing at home all factor in," Cameron said. "I would be surprised if Chad didn't play."

Pennington was asked if he expects to start on Sunday. "My goal is to be available," he said, once again expressing some amazement at how he was able to recover from "an injury that normally takes some time" in less than a week. Although he was limping noticeably in the middle of last week, by Friday it was hard to tell that he'd been injured.

Pennington was available on Sunday, the first time since he became a starter that he was on the active gameday roster and did not play. In other words, it was his first time as a backup since he truly was a backup early in his career. Pennington has spent more than his fair share of games on the sideline, but for the ultracompetitive quarterback it must have been grueling to be in such limbo.

"I've experienced being on the sideline before with injuries, and that's a horrible feeling because you can't help," Pennington said yesterday. "You can't help your teammates physically or mentally on the field, and that's where it counts the most."

Count on Pennington to be there on Sunday.

Notes & quotes: S Kerry Rhodes said he is so hungry for the team's first defensive takeaway that he might add some incentives for the team. "Maybe a bet, or if you get the ball out, you win some money," he said ... Mangini said he hasn't used rookie Darrelle Revis on punt returns because "we just like where Leon [Washington] is." Mangini said Revis could join Washington and Brad Smith in replacing injured Justin Miller as a kickoff returner, but Revis said he has yet to be told of that strategy ... The Jets signed OL Will Montgomery (Panthers) to fill Miller's spot on the active roster ... Dolphins DE Jason Taylor said having both teams 0-2 adds another layer to the rivalry. "It adds that much more fuel to an already fiery situation," he said.

Jets Chalk Talk: Defense upbeat despite lots of zeroes

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

September 19, 2007

The Jets have zero sacks, zero interceptions and zero forced fumbles. Is it any surprise that they have zero wins?

"We're definitely aware of it, and we understand that we need to put more pressure on the quarterback if we want to be successful," linebacker Victor Hobson said of the Jets, the only team in the NFL without a tally in those three game-changing stat columns. It's the first time in franchise history that the team is without a takeaway through the first two games, and the first time since 1976 that the Jets have gone without a sack two games in.

"It's frustrating because we work on it a lot and we practice it," defensive captain Jonathan Vilma said. "They're things you just have to keep harping on and keep working on. It's going to come."

And maybe, just maybe, sooner rather than later. In the second half Sunday against the Ravens, there was a spark. Not an explosion, but a defensive flicker. The Jets allowed only three points in the second half. They gave up 98 yards, 37 on one pass, and only three first downs. They put pressure on Kyle Boller, failing to sack him but forcing him to throw off balance. And they stopped the Ravens' running attack to the point where Brian Billick chose to throw late in the game when he should have been running time off the clock.

"It's kind of hard to explain," Vilma said of Sunday's transformation. "We didn't make too many adjustments. We just went out and played. We wanted to win, we wanted to play well. Halftime wasn't anything special. There was no rah-rah speech to get us going. We just came out and played."

When the Jets looked back on 2006, they saw a turning point in their defense in the second half against Cleveland. From then on, the Jets allowed an average of 12.75 points in the final eight regular-season games and only once allowed more than two touchdowns.

Is it possible that this year the Jets could have found a fulcrum in another 20-13 road loss to an AFC North team in which they had a chance to tie it up in the final minute?

That the Jets didn't force a turnover against the Ravens, who had six in a Week 1 loss, enough to still lead the league in the category, is discouraging. But they did come close to some game-changing defensive plays. Safety Kerry Rhodes said he slipped when covering Demetrius Williams on a deep pass, instead sliding underneath the coverage of David Barrett. Darrelle Revis stepped in front of a pass to Derrick Mason and would have had about 80 yards of clear sailing to the end zone, but had to settle for a knockdown instead. And in the fourth quarter, safety Eric Smith had his hands on a pass over the middle.

"It's really just, when you get the chance, when you get the opportunity," Vilma said, "you have to take it."

Sunday

Dolphins at Jets

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050)

STORYLINES: A quick look at the top stories of the week

Here's to old friends

Jets LB David Bowens spent the last six seasons with the Dolphins, and he is looking forward to Sunday's game. "It'll be fun for me because I know a lot of those guys," he said. Bowens could have re-signed with Miami as a free agent, but said that after meeting with the Jets and realizing that the Dolphins wanted to "go young" with a new coach and a new system, he decided a change of scenery would be best. "I'm on a new team now with new expectations and new goals and my loyalty is to this team," he said. "I've moved on."

Not all on the line

Only the Falcons have allowed more sacks than the nine given up by the Jets, but coaches and players are quick to point out that not all can be put on the O-line. On two sacks against Kellen Clemens on Sunday, it seemed there were chances to beat the blitzing Ravens. In the second quarter, when Corey Ivy came around the right edge and met Clemens face to face, the young quarterback could have thrown into the blitz and hit TE Chris Baker, who'd released just inside Ivy. On the fourth sack, RB Thomas Jones tried to help T D'Brickashaw Ferguson handle Ray Lewis, allowing a lane for Gerome Sapp in a six-man rush.

A kick in the head

The Jets have problems on kickoff coverage, allowing a league-high 49 yards a return, bloated by a record 108-yarder. But with the loss of Pro Bowler Justin Miller to a right knee injury - he was placed on IR last night - they also will struggle to return kickoffs. Miller, who missed most of preseason with a hamstring, returned only two kickoffs this season, with Leon Washington handling most of those responsibilities. Washington averages 22.8 yards with a long of 32. Brad Smith, Wallace Wright and Darrelle Revis also could find themselves on the goal line. But none will be going to Hawaii the way Miller did last season.

The Jets are the sixth team in the last five years not to have a takeaway in the first two games. Only one finished with a winning record; the 2005 Seahawks (13-3) went to the Super Bowl and ended the season with a plus-10 turnover margin:

Team Final record

2003 Cardinals 4-12

2004 Rams 8-8

2005 Seahawks 13-3

2005 Packers 4-12

2005 Texans 2-14

2007 Jets ????

Copyright

You heard it here first!

By Tom Rock

I bumped into Darian Barnes in the locker room today. Literally bumped into him. Then had the audacity to ask if he was OK. Like I'm going to injure an NFL fullback. For the record, he said he was fine. I have to tell you I was a little proud of myself for walking away from the collision too.

So, any thoughts on the new audio clips on this blog? Let us know if you like them, use them, or find them enlightning. Or annoying, bothersome and tiring. We thirst for feedback.

As you alsready know if you listened here, Mangini said he called Ravens coach Brian Billick on Tuesday to discuss Billick

Jets looking to bolster weak special teams

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 20, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - The Jets' kickoff-return and coverage teams have been anything but special this season, no mere coincidence to an 0-2 start.

Plus, Pro Bowl kick returner Justin Miller was lost for the season after injuring his right knee in Sunday's 20-13 defeat at Baltimore. But there's no special panic as the Jets prepare to host the winless Dolphins Sunday at 1 p.m.

"Coach (Mike) Westhoff does a good job preparing us for our opponents and, obviously, we believe in him," second-year pro Leon Washington said of the Jets' special-teams coordinator. "It's part of the game that's critical when it comes to field position."

Washington, who has averaged 22.8 yards on five kick returns this season, will step in for Miller, and coach Eric Mangini has put out a team-wide APB for coverage guys.

"We're going to get 11 guys that are going to cover kickoffs," Mangini said after Sunday's game. "It doesn't matter who it is. If you're on our team, you've got a shot to be on kickoffs."

It's been a glaring deficiency based on two returns. Ellis Hobbs returned a Mike Nugent kickoff an NFL-record 108 yards in the Patriots' 38-14 win in Week 1, and the Ravens' Yamon Figurs had a 61-yard return.

The Jets are allowing an average of 49.0 yards per return after holding opponents to an average of 21.2 yards last season, the longest run being 39 yards.

"At this point, we've got to find a way to win," said fourth-year linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who has not been on special teams since his rookie season. "If that helps, so be it."

Meanwhile, the Jets and Dolphins are tied for 22nd in the NFL in returns, averaging 21.2 yards, though the Jets do have seven returns of at least 20 yards. The Jets last season were fourth in the league at 24.1 yards per return while Miller averaged 28.3 yards and scored two touchdowns.

"I don't want to compare myself to any player," said Washington, who might share kickoff returns with fellow second-year pro Brad Smith. "What Justin does, he does well. What I do, I do well. The bottom line is we're both runners."

In fact, Washington said being a running back gives him an advantage because he's used to "running in cluttered spaces all the time."

That Washington is poised to take over for Miller might have seemed unlikely last year. Washington had a touch of fumble-itis in mini-camps and the start of training camp as a rookie.

"I wouldn't say I'm surprised in my efforts," said Washington, who returned kicks at Florida State. "If you work harder at things you'll get better."

Notes: Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas (migraine) missed practice. ... The Jets signed center/guard Will Montgomery, the Panthers' seventh-round pick out of Virginia Tech in 2006, to their 53-man roster. He was assigned No. 66, Pete Kendall's old number, and did start three games at left guard last season. ... Mangini said he spoke to Brian Billick Tuesday night after the Ravens' coach accused the Jets' defensive players of illegally trying to draw Baltimore offsides by shouting out fake signals. "We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important for me to talk to him and make sure that we didn't have a misunderstanding. We don't coach things to cause penalties." Mangini said he's not concerned there will be a backlash against him by other coaches for the Jets' role in the Patriots being penalized for spying. "I feel very comfortable with the people that I've known and know throughout the league," Mangini said. "I feel very comfortable with the situation."

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at

Jets' Pennington appears to be on track to start against Dolphins

(Original publication: September 20, 2007)

Jets quarterback Chad Pennington was moving much better on his sore right ankle in practice and appears on track to start against the Dolphins, barring any setbacks, after backing up Kellen Clemens in Sunday's loss at Baltimore.

"I've made a lot of progress," Pennington said. "My goal is to be available. Nothing has changed for me as far as my mind-set and my focus. I'll leave the decision up to coach.''

Jets coach Eric Mangini has stated on several occasions this week that Pennington will be the starter if he's deemed healthy. Pennington lobbied to start against the Ravens.

"I'll make the final decision," Mangini said yesterday.

Pennington was limited in practice, as was wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (shoulder).

Andrew Gross

Two Weeks in, Jets Defense Has Yet To Make a Play

Football

By MICHAEL DAVID SMITH

September 20, 2007

QUIET START. The Jets defense has yet to record a sack, interception, or fumble recovery this season.

Through two games, the Jets' stat line on defense tells an ugly story. Zero sacks, zero interceptions and zero forced fumbles.

And, of course, zero wins.

It's easy for an offense to avoid mistakes when the quarterback doesn't feel any pressure, and that's been the biggest problem for the Jets' defense during their 0–2 start. Not only have the Jets not sacked the opposing quarterbacks, New England's Tom Brady and Baltimore's Kyle Boller, but they've rarely even come close to them, and NFL quarterbacks have an easy job when they have all day to pass. It's one thing that in Week 1 the Jets made Brady look like the future Hall of Famer that he is. But it's quite another that in Week 2 the Jets made Boller look like a star, which he certainly isn't.

The Jets are the only team in the league that hasn't forced a turnover yet and one of only two teams that haven't recorded a sack. Boller and Brady have combined to complete 71.4% of their passes, with five touchdowns and a sky-high passer rating of 119.9. That points to problems both with coach Eric Mangini's game plans, which have been too cautious and haven't used enough blitzing, and with the Jets' personnel, which is still more suited for the 4–3, Cover 2 defense that previous coach Herm Edwards ran than it is for the 3–4 defense that Mangini prefers.

There's nothing inherent to Mangini's defensive system that would prevent the Jets from putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Mangini is running essentially the same defense for the Jets that the Patriots employ, and New England linebacker Mike Vrabel leads the league in sacks through two games this season. Shawne Merriman, the San Diego Chargers linebacker who led the league in sacks last year, also plays in a 3-4 defense.

But the Jets don't have the same type of personnel that the Patriots, Chargers, and most other 3–4 teams have on their rosters, and the failure to make strides toward getting that personnel is a major failing of Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Most teams that run a 3–4 defense have a big defensive line anchored by a huge nose tackle whose job is to absorb double teams and free up space for the linebackers behind him. The Jets are trying to use Dewayne Robertson in that role, and he's both too small to effectively play as a true 3–4 nose tackle, and too quick to have his abilities go to waste in a defense that asks him to absorb blocks rather than penetrate and make plays.

Robertson's inability to play the standard nose tackle role also means the Jets' most talented defensive player, inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma, isn't able to get the most out of his talent. With bigger, more physical defensive linemen in front of him, Vilma would be able to come free on blitzes and wreak havoc in the other team's backfield. In the Jets' defense, he spends all game trying to battle offensive linemen and rarely makes plays. Mangini would be wise to move Vilma around more and let him rush the passer from the outside, where he might be able to use his speed to get around opposing offensive tackles.

Outside linebacker Bryan Thomas led the team with 8.5 sacks last year and is expected to be the Jets' primary pass rusher again this year, but Thomas lacks the speed around the edge that elite pass rushing outside linebackers like Merriman have. Opposing teams can almost always count on their offensive tackles to beat Thomas one-on-one.

The biggest disappointment in the Jets' pass defense is that safety Kerry Rhodes has done so little in the first two games. Last season, Rhodes was one of the league's most versatile defensive playmakers, with five sacks, four interceptions, and three forced fumbles. This year, he has mostly stayed back in coverage and allowed the play to develop in front of him. To an extent, that has been by necessity — the Patriots were doing such a good job protecting Brady that Rhodes probably wouldn't have accomplished much by blitzing. But against the Ravens, who were missing both starting quarterback Steve McNair and their best offensive lineman, Jonathan Ogden, Rhodes should have been roaming all over the field. He wasn't.

The Jets have also had problems against the run. Although they haven't given up any long runs and are allowing just 3.5 yards a carry, they're not tough enough in short-yardage situations. The Jets have given up 18 rushing first downs, tied for the worst in the league, and their opponents are 9-for-9 at picking up the first down when running against the Jets with one yard to go.

All these problems add up to one big mess of a defense, which no one expected when the Jets hired their defensive wunderkind of a coach. Mangini's first year was a success, and two weeks into the season is too early to call his second year a failure, but Mangini needs to make changes, and he needs to make them soon.

Mr. Smith is a writer for FootballOutsiders.com.

Archived