NY Jets news articles 10/ 24

Kentucky Jet

SICKLY JETS' 'HEALTH' PLAN NY Post

October 24, 2007 -- The reeling, 1-6 New York Jets yesterday announced a naming-rights deal with a New Jersey health-care system for the team's new headquarters and practice facility.

The campus under construction in Florham Park, N.J., will be called the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

The NFL team declined to disclose the amount of the 12-year deal or the other companies it considered.

Team CEO Woody Johnson said the Jets are thrilled to call Atlantic Health its partner.

"Not only are we creating a competitive advantage for our team by building a first-rate corporate campus to accommodate the needs of our football and business operations and utilizing the best that technology has to offer, we are also partnering with a company that has deep roots in the New Jersey community," Johnson said.

KEEP CHAD STARTER!

MOVE TO KELLEN WOULD BE SURRENDER SIGNAL TO JETS October 24, 2007 -- WHEN the Jets con vene on the practice field today Hofstra, the cloudy future of their starting quarterback should be come clearer.

All eyes will be on the quarterbacks, with a focus on whether Chad Pennington or backup Kellen Clemens will be taking snaps with the first team, a signal to who'll be starting against the Bills on Sunday at Giants Stadium - and beyond.

Why, after a three-touchdown performance last Sunday against the Bengals, should Pennington's job be in jeopardy?

Because the Jets, 1-6 and mired in a four-game losing streak, are an across-the-board mess, and they're desperate to unearth any key that'll unlock the door to their first victory since Sept. 23.

The time for Clemens will come. But now is just not that time.

This should remain Pennington's team - at least through the next two games. If things don't get better and the absolute certainty of a lost - playoff-less - season is a definite, then coach Eric Mangini should insert Clemens after the bye week.

Unless the Jets can win these next two home games and climb to 3-6 before their bye week, Mangini should begin the Clemens era on Nov. 18 against the Steelers.

That would give them seven games to take a close look at whether Clemens has what it takes.

For now, for Sunday against the Bills, Pennington deserves to remain in the game. A move to Clemens now sends a message to the rest of the players that the season is over and that the final nine games have turned into a developmental session for 2008.

Pennington remains their best chance to beat the Bills. And he's the best leader they have in that locker room.

"We're still behind him," safety Kerry Rhodes said.

Pennington understands what's happening, but refuses to let uncertainty beat him.

"Frankly, I just don't have a concern about whether or not I'm the starter," he said. "My preparation and approach never change. My effort will never change."

He's tired of hearing about how his arm strength is equal to that of a skinny 14-year-old soft-tossing in a neighborhood park.

"If I couldn't make the throws to help us win, I have a hard time believing that coach Mangini and [offensive coordinator Brian] Schottenheimer would put me in the game," he said. "It makes no sense."

What makes no sense is that, regardless of the fact that he was the best player on the field for the Jets on Sunday, Pennington has been forced to wait for Mangini to make his decision public and wonder about his future.

Pennington's future will crystallize today when he and Clemens take the practice field and we see how the reps are going to doled out.

For the sake of what's right, he should remain the one taking the majority of the snaps with the first team, remain the starter, remain the leader of this team in desperate need of more leaders like him.

The Jets yesterday waived receiver David Clowney, leaving open the probability they'll sign linebacker Matt Chatham to the active roster. Chatham has been on the Physically Unable to Perform list since training camp after offseason foot surgery and became eligible to play last week.

mark.cannizzaro@ny post.com

Jonathan Vilma says injury not reason he sat out

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, October 24th 2007, 4:00 AM

Jonathan Vilma, giving his take yesterday on why he spent time on the bench in the second half of Sunday's loss in Cincinnati, contradicted Eric Mangini's explanation. "It definitely wasn't because I was injured in the game," Vilma said on his weekly WFAN spot. "I had no idea why I was taken out. I didn't even know I was going to be taken out until I was taken out."

On Monday, Mangini said Vilma was battling an unspecified injury that "dramatically affected" his play. Vilma, who had only three tackles, called it "a coach's decision." He didn't agree with the decision, saying, "I didn't think I did anything wrong." Asked if he believes his job is in jeopardy, Vilma said, "I don't think it should be if it is."

This was the second time in a week that Mangini and his coaches were publicly questioned by a player. TE Chris Baker was critical of the play-calling after a loss to the Eagles.

PETE'S SAKE: This might be the most underachieving Jets team since 1994, the year Pete Carroll lost control and finished 6-10 after a promising 6-5 start. Think about it: There were no expectations in 1995 and 1996, the Rich Kotite years, and every non-winning season since Kotite (1999, 2003, 2005) was sabotaged by a major quarterback injury. Mangini can't use that as a crutch. This team is healthy. In some ways, the current disaster is worse than the Carroll debacle. The Jets hadn't been to the playoffs in two years when Carroll took over; Mangini was in the playoffs only nine months ago.

Eric Mangini must act on proclamations of changes for Jets

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets have little room for error and Eric Mangini might bench Chad Pennington to spark his team ...

Is Eric Mangini a tough guy or just a tough talker?

By announcing to the world that he's conducting a top-to-bottom evaluation of the organization, Mangini has put pressure on himself to deliver a "Save-the-Jets" plan.

Some coaches talk big and never back it up. After a bad start in 2003, Herm Edwards promised a shakeup at linebacker, but all it amounted to was a few plays less than usual for Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis. Big deal.

If Mangini benches the nickel back, it's going to have zero impact. It has to be something significant, like a quarterback change, the ultimate attention-getter. But if benching Chad Pennington is the only move - it certainly appears that Pennington's time is up - it sends the wrong message to the team. Clearly, the problems go beyond Pennington.

As Laveranues Coles said, "We all stink." As tempting as it might be, Mangini can't bench everybody. But it sounds like he's got a few things in mind, and the changes might not be limited to players. He put the coaching staff on notice, too.

Moves he might be mulling:

Benching Pennington. He's still a capable quarterback - he'd be perfect for the Vikings next season - but it's not working with this current supporting cast, in this environment. If Mangini tries to reboot the season with the same ol' quarterback, what's the point?

Demoting Bob Sutton. The defense is getting killed on first down (5.97 yards per play, 13th in the AFC), and that's usually a sign of being outsmarted. It wouldn't be a shock if Sutton is relieved of his play-calling duties. If Mangini is truly objective, he'll admit his 3-4 scheme is a bad fit for the personnel. But don't bet on that happening.

Benching LG Adrien Clarke. The Jets tried to replace him before the trading deadline, a tacit admission that they blew it by trading Pete Kendall. They talked up rookie Jacob Bender's run-blocking in the preseason. If he has that much promise, play him. Will Montgomery, formerly of the Panthers, also is an option.

Increasing LB David Harris' role. Used mostly in the nickel package, the rookie deserves a job in the base defense. He adds a physical presence in the running game. Adios, Eric Barton.

Letting Darrelle Revis return punts. Leon Washington is terrific on kickoff returns, but he isn't the same threat on punts. The Jets talked up Revis' punt-returning ability when they drafted him; let him show his stuff.

Several players could be on the hot seat, namely NT Dewayne Robertson, OLB Bryan Thomas and OLB Victor Hobson, but the alternatives at those positions aren't too appealing. Maybe Matt Chatham will be activated this week; he can spell Thomas. Maybe Sione Pouha will get a few more snaps at nose tackle.

The spotlight is on Mangini, who needs a funk-busting plan to salvage something from the season.

ROOKIE MISTAKE? During Revis' contract dispute over the summer, the Jets demanded a six-year deal. They got what they wanted, but that six-year contract has shrunk to four years, the Daily News has learned.

The rookie cornerback already has logged enough action to hit a 35% playing-time incentive, voiding the final two years. It's now a four-year, $16 million contract. The Jets are prohibited from using the transition or franchise tag in 2011, meaning they will have to spend at least another $14 million to buy back the last two years.

It will be a major setback, financially and otherwise, if the Jets are wrong about Revis. So far, he looks like the real deal, but he's still looking for his first interception.

"I'm getting my hands on a lot of balls," he said. "Sooner or later, I'll get an interception and try to make a good play out of that."

Struggles aside, Mangini won't give Jets day off

Poteat would enjoy picks more if Jets won more

TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

October 24, 2007

The idea was so foreign to Eric Mangini, it took a moment for him to process what was being asked.

Should the Jets try practicing on the moon? Would Bryan Thomas make a better quarterback than linebacker? Has he considered hypnosis to rid the Jets of their losing ways? Those questions might have made more sense to him than the one asked on Monday.

Everyone talks about how hard the Jets work. Is it possible that what they could use is a day off?

Mangini staggered, then shook his head.

"There's not going to be any day off," he said, slowly, before repeating it. "There's not going to be any day off."

The way things are going right now, Mangini may have the Jets practicing straight through their upcoming bye, scheduled for Nov. 11. After all, at 1-6, there'll be plenty of days off in January.

No, there will be no "mental health days" for the Jets, a chance to recharge and come back to football refreshed and refocused. While some players have privately grumbled about the Mangini-enforced work ethic (especially as it has failed to produce a win in over a month), publicly most members of the team seem to wish there were more than 24 hours a day to devote to football.

"If you're 6-1, you have to work hard, it's the same deal," fullback Darian Barnes said. "It's just that when you're 1-6, you have to work harder. You have to keep going."

Everyone in the NFL works hard, on and off the field. It may be arrogance or self-centeredness, or it may even be the truth, but many Jets believe no other team works harder than they do. In recent weeks that aspect of their preparation has increased.

Earlier this month, when the four-game losing streak was in its infancy, Laveranues Coles said he believed the key to a Jets rebound was not only working, but whistling while you work.

"The main thing now is trying to find a way for guys to have fun during the week; that way it carries over to the game," Coles said. "We always get to the game and then all of a sudden it's 'Yeah, let's start to have fun.' But it doesn't work that way. We have to start to find ways to have fun during the week so that it carries over onto the field."

There are, of course, other philosophies that don't include noses and grindstones. Some coaches - some very recent Jets coaches - took a more relaxed approach. But even Chad Pennington, who may or may not be in the Jets' plans for a turnaround this week, said that the Men At Work philosophy fits this team's personality.

"I think we believe in how we prepare and how we work," he said. "The beauty of football, and life in general, is that there are a thousand different ways to be successful. The most important thing is that you believe in what you're doing. I think our guys feel good about our preparation."

They'd better. They have no other choice.

Sunday

Buffalo at Jets

4:05 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770); WEPN (1050); WRCN (103.9)

A quick look at the top stories this week

Pickin' Poteat

Hank Poteat, who bounced around the league for seven years, became a starter at cornerback last season, and has seen an increase in his load, leads the team in interceptions. He's had one in each of the last two games, his first two. "I haven't been out there to get interceptions. Most of my career, I was a special-teams player," Poteat said. "To get an interception, it definitely feels good. It'd feel a whole lot better if we were winning."

What a difference

When the Jets prepared to travel to Buffalo about a month ago, they were coming off a win and tried desperately to tell anyone who would listen that the Bills weren't as bad as it seemed. The Jets left Buffalo with a 17-14 loss that, in retrospect, signaled the beginning of the end of their season and kicked off a four-game skid. Buffalo, meanwhile, found hope in a rookie quarterback (Trent Edwards will get a fourth straight start Sunday) and has played two solid games (with a bye) going 1-1 since the last meeting. If the Bills start talking about how good the Jets are, then the tables will have turned completely in four short weeks.

A healthy choice

The new Jets facility in Florham Park isn't done yet, and the football operations aren't expected to move there until the 2009 season, but the place does have a name. The Jets announced a 12-year deal with Atlantic Health to call the complex the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. In addition to a building which will house the indoor facilities, classrooms and 100 employees, the headquarters will also include a field house accommodating one full-size indoor artificial turf field, as well as four outdoor fields - three natural grass and one artificial turf.

Statlines

Rookie QB Trent Edwards made his first NFL start against the Jets four weeks ago. He hasn't thrown a TD pass or played as well since, but he's led the Bills to an almost-upset of the Cowboys and an upset of the Ravens. Now he's back for another crack at the Jets. A look at his brief career:

Opp. Att.-Comp. Yards TD Int. Result

Jets 28-22 234 1 1 W, 17-14

Cowboys 31-23 176 0 1 L, 25-24

Ravens 21-11 153 0 1 W, 19-14

Vilma not happy after he's taken out of game

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

October 24, 2007

Jonathan Vilma said it was a "coach's decision" that had him sidelined at the start of Sunday's second half and at other times during the game and not, as Eric Mangini suggested on Monday, an injury.

"It definitely wasn't because I was injured in the game," Vilma said yesterday on a paid radio segment on WFAN with Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts. "You have to ask the head man why I was taken out. I have no idea why I was taken out."

The subject had, in fact, been broached with Mangini a day earlier. When it was pointed out that Vilma seemed to have a bad performance, Mangini said: "You know, Jon was dealing with some injury issues [sunday] that I think dramatically affected his play."

Pressed on whether the injury was the reason Vilma was not on the field as often as normal, Mangini said: "It was something that he was working through. He's a tough guy, but it's something that he was working through."

Jets players are forbidden to discuss injuries (and it is even more uncommon for Mangini to discuss them as willingly, unspecified though his answer was). The radio interviewers asked Vilma about that policy.

"I wouldn't be allowed to talk about it anyway," Vilma said, "but that wasn't the reason why I was taken out."

Vilma did not appear on the Jets injury report in the week leading up to the game. The Jets will release their latest injury report today.

Vilma, who was on the field for every defensive snap in 2006 and has hardly come off this season, did have a difficult time against the Bengals. On Kenny Watson's 3-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, Vilma was pushed back into the end zone by an offensive lineman. On Watson's 1-yard run that gave the Bengals a 31-23 lead in the fourth quarter, Vilma seemed to miss the running back when he had a chance to make a tackle in the running lane. Vilma finished the game with only three credited tackles. Eric Barton and rookie David Harris played considerable snaps together at inside linebacker.

"I didn't know I was getting taken out," Vilma said. "I didn't think I did anything wrong, so I don't really know what the reason was."

Asked if he had spoken to any coaches about the time on the bench, Vilma said he hadn't. Asked if he planned on discussing it in the next few days, he said he didn't.

"That's their decision," he said. "They're going to do what they want to do. For me, I just have to go out and play."

Vilma was acting strangely after the game, humming out loud while answering questions about the Jets' fourth straight loss. He later said he was doing so to prevent himself from saying how he really felt. He was not in the locker room during player availability on Monday.

Jets' Elam has big game vs. Bengals but ...

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 24, 2007)

The Bill Parcells seal of approval counts heavily with former disciples Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini. So when the ex-Cowboys coach gave safety Abram Elam a good recommendation, the Jets' general manager and coach took notice.

"Coach Parcells has been very instrumental," said Elam, who made his first NFL start in Sunday's 38-31 loss at Cincinnati. "He gave me my first legitimate opportunity in this league. He believed in me as a player. He helped mold me in my one year under him. I learned a lot."

The Jets signed the 26-year-old Elam off waivers Sept. 12 after he played in 15 games for the Cowboys in 2006 and started two preseason games for Dallas this year. A surprise starter over four-year veteran Erik Coleman against the Bengals, Elam led the Jets with eight tackles, seven solo.

However, it's undetermined whether he'll get a chance for a second start after committing an unnecessary-roughness penalty against Bengals running back Kenny Watson.

Watson had been stopped for a 1-yard gain on a second-and-three from the Jets 28-yard line, but Elam was flagged for trying to rip the ball from Watson on the bottom of the pile - he might have done some other, extracurricular things, too - putting the Bengals at the 14. Watson scored four plays later to make it 31-23 with 6:09 to play.

"It was something that hurt the ballclub at a critical time in the game," Elam said. "It's something you learn from. It was a call, that's something you have to live with. Referees do their job and we, as players, have to go out and perform within the rules."

Of course, Elam is a strong believer in second chances. He wouldn't be in the NFL without one.

In 2002, Elam was one of four Notre Dame players charged with sexually assaulting a female student, and he was the only one convicted, receiving an 18-month suspended sentence plus two years probation for sexual battery.

Tossed from Notre Dame, Elam finished his college career at Kent State before entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent. He had 14 tackles for the Cowboys last season, playing mainly on special teams.

The Jets' security department ran an extensive background check on Elam before giving the go-ahead to Tannenbaum and Mangini to sign him.

"Being able to play in the NFL has been a dream come true," Elam said. "I prepared myself as a child, I was always watching on TV, praying for the opportunity. I continue to do what I can to continue to live it."

Elam said he had an idea last week in practice that he might see more playing time against the Bengals. He had been active as a reserve in the previous three games without recording a defensive statistic after being inactive his first two weeks with the team.

Coleman had missed the 35-24 loss to the Giants Oct. 7 after suffering a concussion at Buffalo the previous week. However, he started in a 16-9 loss to the Eagles on Oct. 14, his 50th career start in 53 NFL games.

Mangini said Coleman didn't suffer a relapse this past weekend.

"No, that was a coaching decision," Mangini said. "I thought that Elam had done a good job and had been doing a particularly good job in the running game. I wanted to give him an opportunity."

Notes: Stepinac's Mike O'Donnell was named the Jets' high school coach of the week, and the school's football program will receive $1,000 as a result. O'Donnell earned his 100th career victory in Saturday's 29-14 win over Fordham Prep. ... At a cornerstone ceremony yesterday, the Jets announced their new practice facility in Florham Park, N.J., will be named the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. The Northern New Jersey-based healthcare organization signed a 12-year naming-rights agreement with the team, which is expected to move its football operations from Hofstra in the spring of 2009. Construction on the facility began in April. "This is an exciting day for our franchise," Jets owner Woody Johnson said. ... The Jets waived wide receiver David Clowney, who was signed to the 53-man roster Oct. 3 but inactive the last three games. ... Two wins in three games earned Bills rookie quarterback Trent Edwards the starting job, and sent J.P. Losman to a familiar place - the bench. ... Bills owner Ralph Wilson stated his case for Buffalo to play an annual regular-season home game in Toronto. The Bills' proposal requires two-thirds majority approval from the league's 32 teams, with a vote expected to come within the next two months.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

Eric Mangini must act on proclamations of changes for Jets

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

ROOKIE MISTAKE? During Revis' contract dispute over the summer, the Jets demanded a six-year deal. They got what they wanted, but that six-year contract has shrunk to four years, the Daily News has learned.

The rookie cornerback already has logged enough action to hit a 35% playing-time incentive, voiding the final two years. It's now a four-year, $16 million contract. The Jets are prohibited from using the transition or franchise tag in 2011, meaning they will have to spend at least another $14 million to buy back the last two years.

It will be a major setback, financially and otherwise, if the Jets are wrong about Revis. So far, he looks like the real deal, but he's still looking for his first interception.

"I'm getting my hands on a lot of balls," he said. "Sooner or later, I'll get an interception and try to make a good play out of that."

Well isn't this just grand. What a way to waste your #1 picks 1st camp getting a 6 instead of 5 year deal. And for what? Apparently absolutely nothing. :fighting0050:

Dave Hutchinson's Jets Insider

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

THE SITUATION

The Bengals led, 24-23, and took possession at the 50 after recovering a bad shotgun snap. On first-and-10 from the Jets' 35 yard line, Bengals QB Carson Palmer dropped back to pass.

WHAT HAPPENED

Bengals WR Glenn Holt, split wide left and covered man-to-man by Jets CB Darrelle Revis, ran a comeback route near the left hash mark and Revis jumped in front of him for an apparent interception. The play, however, was ruled a "simultaneous possession" by officials and Holt was given the reception. Despite a challenge by the Jets, the call was upheld.

Cincinnati scored on the drive to take a 31-23 lead with 6:09 left to play.

"Carson threw the ball and I caught it," Revis said. "I had the ball in my right arm and he (Holt) had one hand touching the ball. I had the ball and they're going to say it was a 'simultaneous possession.'

"It was a bad call. You just have to deal with it. But it was my pick."

WHY IT HAPPENED

The Bengals targeted Revis all game and the strategy paid off. Revis was flagged for two key third-down pass interference calls that kept consecutive scoring drives alive in the second half.

NEXT OPPONENT

The Bills (2-4) are coming off a 19-14 victory over the Ravens in which their injury-decimated defense had two big stops late in the fourth quarter. Rookie QB Trent Edwards, who made his first career start against the Jets in Week 4, is 2-1 as the starter. Against the Jets, he hit 22 of 28 for 234 yards, one TD and one INT in a 17-14 win. Rookie RB Marshawn Lynch (457 yards and four TDs) has all but one of the Bills' offensive TDs.

Defensively, the Bills let Jets QB Chad Pennington (32 of 39 for 290 yards, one TD and two INTs) dink and dunk to his heart's content and held RB Thomas Jones to 35 yards on 12 carries. Twenty-three of Pennington's 32 completions were for 10 yards or less.

CLEANING HOUSE

Look for the Jets to overhaul their roster in the off-season in the wake of their stunningly disappointing year and rumblings of locker room discontent. Among the big-name players who could be gone are QB Chad Pennington, WR Justin McCareins, RT Anthony Clement, TE Chris Baker, CB Andre Dyson, NT Dewayne Robertson, LBs Jonathan Vilma or Eric Barton, DE Shaun Ellis and P Ben Graham.

KEY MATCHUP

WR Lee Evans vs. CB Darrelle Revis

In the first meeting, Evans, working mostly in the slot against Revis, caught six passes for 72 yards. He's coming off a five-catch, 98-yard effort against the Ravens. Revis is struggling a bit.

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE

The defense has struggled this season, and it might be up to coach Eric Mangini to fix it. The unit ranks 28th in the NFL in total defense (377.7 ypg) and 28th in rushing defense (138.0 ypg). Last week, Bengals RB Kenny Watson, a career backup, rumbled for 130 yards and three TDs on 31 carries, all career highs.

As always, thanks for he news KJ.

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The defense is getting killed on first down (5.97 yards per play, 13th in the AFC)

I don't know what is more shocking, that they give up 6 yards per on first down or that are teams that are worse.

Benching LG Adrien Clarke. The Jets tried to replace him before the trading deadline, a tacit admission that they blew it by trading Pete Kendall. They talked up rookie Jacob Bender's run-blocking in the preseason. If he has that much promise, play him. Will Montgomery, formerly of the Panthers, also is an option.

Um... we saw Bender at LG. It was hideous. I didn't agree with 124 that it would mess him up to check him out at G in the preseason, but screwing with him now is silly. I assume they are going to groom him to compete with Clement. Clarke probably sucks, but if anything the run blocking has been looking a little better lately. Starting over with a rookie tackle project seems silly. He showed very little there in the preseason. I think they only talked him up to look a little less stupid over the Kendall fiasco.

I feel so much better about our offseason now.

Changes on the Way

Posted by Bob Bullock October 23, 2007 10:37PM

Categories: News

Head coach Eric Mangini promised some changes are coming. Tomorrow should be the day that those are announced or more likely are figured out by the media after Wednesday's practice.

The main change HAS to be Kellen Clemens taking over at quarterback. How can that move NOT be made? There is no reason to keep Chad Pennington as the starter with the season over, as far as, the playoffs are concerned anyway. It is certainly not that Clemens will change the team's fortunes right away, not at all. Clemens should play just to let him get evaluated for the future. This organization needs to know for sure that this kid can handle the job next season and beyond.

The next change should be from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. He needs to get his head out of his ass and start making some real play calls. 3 straight out routes always will result in an interception Schott, PLEASE remember that! You have a top running back that NEEDS the ball, PLEASE remember that! You can call pass plays that are longer than 5 yards, PLEASE remember that!

On defense there should be quite a few changes as well. There should not only be personnel changes on that side of the ball, but some serious schematic changes as well. It is time to dump the current style, play much more 4-3 than 3-4 and start ATTACKING the opposing offense for goodness sake! Sitting back in this 3-4 scheme while teams cram the ball down your throat is no way to play defense. I've been saying it for a while now, but this team needs to be much more aggressive on that side of the ball. The blitz can be used to stop the run as well as the pass folks, why don't we use it more!?

Personnel wise, I want to see more playing time for David Harris, who is a much better fit for the scheme that the team is currently playing than a lot of the other linebackers that are on the roster at this time. That includes Jonathan Vilma, who again was Mr. Invisible this past Sunday.

Has anyone seen Shaun Ellis lately? He shows up for 1 out of every 4 games. Where are the big plays from Kerry Rhodes this year? I've counted ONE in 7 games so far this season.

There are so many changes that need to be made by this organization, I have no idea where Mangini is going to start. I just know that he better start making them tomorrow.

|

Kentucky,

Thanks as always

Some of those articles really disclose how BAD our off season was

losing Kendall and Revis sitting out for what now works out to be a 4 year deal WOW!!!

I just don't know what to say... I think the arrogance of TANGINI is coming back to bite them in the ass...

Well isn't this just grand. What a way to waste your #1 picks 1st camp getting a 6 instead of 5 year deal. And for what? Apparently absolutely nothing. :fighting0050:

This is not bad luck. This was planned (stupidly in just about everyone's estimation). The only way it wouldn't kick in, if I remember, is if Revis pretty much sucks (and therefore hardly played). Essentially, it puts off renegotiating his deal by one year. I believe his SB also gets amortized over 4 years instead of five this way. So in the 5th/6th year, it's all salary/incentives and no signing bonus counting against the cap.

Instead of renegotiating after year four (of a 5-yr deal), the Jets now renegotiate after year five. That 5th year I think he makes between $6-8M (I can't remember the details). If we can't agree on an extension, then we can keep him for one more year under contract at another $6-8M. If we can't agree yet again, we can then franchise him.

To me, this was all an exercise in idiocy. Just give him the 5-year/$15M or so contract everyone else around his slot got & he'd be happy. Redo his deal after his 4th season.

There is the possibility that, for a year or two, it may prove to be a smart move. If the salary cap not only keeps going up in giant chunks, but if Revis does become a great, great CB and the FA CB market enters into insanity (to the point where we don't want to pay it. I mean like $30-40M guaranteed on a 7-year/$120M deal. Don't laugh. Look at what Nate Clements got & he's not what anyone would call "amazing" or best at his position.

I think it is safe to say that Jonathan Vilma hates Eric Mangini. A team player would put on some much-needed bulk like so many got on D'Brickashaw about after his rookie year. You can't tell me he didn't know we were playing a 3-4 and that being 235 lbs wouldn't serve him better than being 225 lbs. Truth is, unless it made him totally slow, it would have served him better in the 4-3 as well.

Also, when your coach gives you a built-in excuse & you, as a team captain, tell the press it's a bunch of bullsh*t, then you deserve both the bench & to have that "captain" title stripped. Team captains can't be organizing or displaying - particularly to the press - dissent against a head coach, and I don't care if we just brought Kotite back.

And Cannazzaro continues to be a complete apologist for Pennington. Particularly when he writes that it's coming "after a three-touchdown performance" vs Cincy.

Well, there was one outstanding bomb to Coles just as the game got underway. After that he did jack squat to help the team.

A short pass (that Solomon Eatcox stupidly claimed hit Coles totally in stride) where the WR did all the work. But even then, you might as well erase that TD in the stats; Pennington essentially erased it by throwing a pick that was returned for a touchdown. Coles TD + Int TD = zero net points for the Jets. Then he he lumps in a Hail Mary pass as time expired when we were down two touchdowns. At that point, the game was unaffected by any outcome of that play. So it counts in the stat sheets, but it doesn't count as helping the Jets anymore than taking a dump in his pants. Not to mention settling for 3 FG's (one when we took over on the Cincy 25) when a TD or two helps put the game away by putting us up more than two scores.

All this against a defense that might actually be worse than ours. He simply doesn't put enough points on the board.

A short pass (that Solomon Eatcox stupidly claimed hit Coles totally in stride) where the WR did all the work.

I'm really curious to see if we hear these same comments when Clemens throws a short pass that gets turned into a TD by the WR.

I'm really curious to see if we hear these same comments when Clemens throws a short pass that gets turned into a TD by the WR.

Hey it was a great play by Coles. He had to really slow down his route (almost stop) and then reach behind him b/c even with that the pass was still thrown over the wrong shoulder. It's not like it was 20-30 yards downfield or anything.

Short passes are one thing; short passes that don't lead the receiver, require them to break multiple tackles or juke multiple DB's, and then get into the endzone is another.

Pennington has been in the league far too long to be immune to this type of criticism. I should damn well expect him to play WAY better than a 2nd-year player.

A short pass (that Solomon Eatcox stupidly claimed hit Coles totally in stride) where the WR did all the work. But even then, you might as well erase that TD in the stats; Pennington essentially erased it by throwing a pick that was returned for a touchdown. Coles TD + Int TD = zero net points for the Jets. Then he he lumps in a Hail Mary pass as time expired when we were down two touchdowns. At that point, the game was unaffected by any outcome of that play. So it counts in the stat sheets, but it doesn't count as helping the Jets anymore than taking a dump in his pants. Not to mention settling for 3 FG's (one when we took over on the Cincy 25) when a TD or two helps put the game away by putting us up more than two scores.

All this against a defense that might actually be worse than ours. He simply doesn't put enough points on the board.

I thought this was how it went but I didn't watch the game. It's pretty much what I expect out of Pennington though.

One thing that's interesting, ****y maybe, is that he is saying he'll try to "make a good play out of that" meaning AFTER he gets his INT. I guess he is planning on doing some returning.

I thought this was how it went but I didn't watch the game. It's pretty much what I expect out of Pennington though.

Did you see his first TD to Coles. That hit him dead in stride. I agree that the second was not all Pennington, but I take issue with the harshness of Sperm's criticism. IMO, the pass was a good one and good for a short gain, I think it was for a first down. Coles did have to change direction, but IMO that's because he was running into defenders. Coles made a great play and deserves all the credit for the TD and probably around 25 of the 35 yards. OTOH, I don't think Chad deserves any criticism for the throw.

Did you see his first TD to Coles. That hit him dead in stride. I agree that the second was not all Pennington, but I take issue with the harshness of Sperm's criticism. IMO, the pass was a good one and good for a short gain, I think it was for a first down. Coles did have to change direction, but IMO that's because he was running into defenders. Coles made a great play and deserves all the credit for the TD and probably around 25 of the 35 yards. OTOH, I don't think Chad deserves any criticism for the throw.

That wasn't quite what I meant. Chad made a good enough throw to complete the pass. I just think it's silly to equate that with the actually outstanding throw he made to Coles to open the game or one of his touch-passes to the corner of the endzone, which he's capable of making from time to time.

I just can't help but wonder...if Coles & Cotchery can get so many yards after the catch on mostly floaters, with the QB doing a windup & two steps so often, what would they be able to do if the pass got in there faster & from a quicker release?

Clearly we won't find out this week. :bag:

That wasn't quite what I meant. Chad made a good enough throw to complete the pass. I just think it's silly to equate that with the actually outstanding throw he made to Coles to open the game or one of his touch-passes to the corner of the endzone, which he's capable of making from time to time.

I just can't help but wonder...if Coles & Cotchery can get so many yards after the catch on mostly floaters, with the QB doing a windup & two steps so often, what would they be able to do if the pass got in there faster & from a quicker release?

Clearly we won't find out this week. :bag:

Patience is a virtue

Archived