"Just End The Season" Edition of Post of the Week - October 25th, 2007

GreenBeans

Please God, I am begging you, just end this pathetic season - I want to gouge my eyes out of my head watching this team attempt to play football. Please Lord, take this pain away. No more 3 yard slants, no more floating out patterns, no more 4th quarter INTs, no more missed tackles, and how about a tackle behind the LOS and a sack from time to time. Meh.

On to this week's nominations...

----

Originally Posted by P2C

Marko...Why can't I eat Coco Puff?

Originally Posted by Marko Cavka

Coco Puff connected to SeaPatsy face. Not taste good.

(Editor's Note: Don't ask how that Coco Puff got stuck on that there cheek, friend...)

-----

Topic: Jets- Bengals prediction

Originally Posted by afosomf

Been Gals 34

Gals who play QB for Jests 10

Penne Stats 35-39 141 yds 3 picks 3 TD 2 returned for TDS by Cinn

Mangini comments Chad played well today 2 cept for 2 plays, team is playing real hard...left it all on the field today. We are so close...Chad is still our QB!!

(Editor's Note: 35-39 = 4.02 yards per catch. Average time in the air for each reception? 14.5 seconds)

-----

Originally Posted by madmike1

Hughes had close to 300 professional innings when I said that and he'll make me look smart next year and going foward.

Originally Posted by Thor99

I promise you, nothing will make you look smart.

Ever.

(Editor's Note: Y'all are too hard on Mikey.)

-----

Originally Posted by ecurb2369

I am getting rid of the hobby shop and got a new job... its going to be easy to beat me now!

Originally Posted by BP

We're 4 days from your anniversary of joining.

Your stats

Total Posts: 15,087 (41.81 posts per day)

Originally Posted by Lil Bit Special

You missed one stat:

quality posts per day: 4

(Editor's Note: Per day? Really? Are you exaggerating?)

-----

Topic: ***The Official Jets Vs. Bengals gameday thread****

Originally Posted by gangreenman

penguin.gifpenguin.gifpenguin.gifpenguin.gifpenguin.gif

Well, now that this is *OFFICIAL*

I needed to post the official post and the 5 dancing penguins to give us luck.

So, here we go....

JETS VS. BENGALS GAMEDAY THREAD

Its been a tough year for both the Jets and the Bengals, as both teams are stuck at only one win.

Mangini reiterated his confidence in Pennington again this week and has said that the will start against the Bengals. Its a weak Cinci defense, so hopefully Chad can pull together a good game to snap out of his funk.

In injury news this week, Chris Baker of the Jets will be without their TE Chris Baker, who wont make the trip to Cinci due to a back injury. On the other side, ex-jet Anthony Schlegalsaurous will be starting at MLB, which should be interesting because he'll be seeing a lot matchups with ex Buckeye and Jet teammate Nick Mangold. Also on the injury report for the Bengals is Rudy Johnson, who is listed as doubtful, which means the Bengals offense will rely on Palmer to Chad J. and TJ... Not that thats a bad group to rely on however.

At this point, ya the seasons lost, so its not a must win game in that sense, but if we dont come out on top, it may be the beginning of the end of a very short Tangini era.

Lets hope we get the W today and get some mo going into buffalo next week!!!

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!!!!

Jets @ Bengals

Gametime: 4:05pm

TV: CBS

(Editor's Note: I'm glad someone around here was optimistic. How are you feeling for this week???)

-----

Originally Posted by Matt39

OPS would suggest Jason Giambi is a good player. My eyes tell me otherwise.

All you stat geeks forgot whats actually important, watching the games.

Originally Posted by madmike1

Giambi isn't a good player. He's a borderline hall of famer.

(The Followup: "You do realize that he's in the top 40 all time in both OBP and SLG right?" - madmike1)

(The Response: "No..no...NO WAY. I was about to potw nom that for you cracking a joke about a yankee, but you're actually SERIOUS?! HAHAHAHA...come on mike, tell me what exactly he's done since we KNOW he hasn't been jacked up? NOTHING, thats what." - AVM)

(Editor's Note: Ok, maybe Thor was right. :bag:)

-----

Runner-up of the Week Sponsored by assmop

Topic: ***The Official Jets Vs. Bengals gameday thread****

Originally Posted by tparich

I'm just waiting for someone to Blame Chad for not giving the defense enough time to rest.

(The Scenario: Pennington throws a 57 Yard TD to Coles)

(Editor's Note: That was, in all fairness, a great pass. I'd love to see that throw a lot more if Pennington is going to continue as the starter for this team.)

-----

Originally Posted by mangenious420

Knock on wood kid.

Originally Posted by Ghost

I would dude, but I don't feel like getting my ass up of this toilet.

(Editor's Note: Both the beauty and disgustingness of the "laptop computer" is displayed right here in this post. Wash you hands - sure. Do you wash that keyboard????)

-----

Topic: Becnh Freaking Gag Reflex Pennington

Originally Posted by Sperm Edwards

Cincy put up way more points on offense against the Browns...and still lost. Or is Derek Anderson now considered an elite QB like Tom Brady who is beyond comparison?

We were up 23-10. If we make that lead 30-10 then Cincy has to stop going to the ground game. Much easier to defend & sooner or later Palmer will throw a pick or two since we know it's coming.

Enough with people saying the QB has no impact on the defense.

And Jones is the friggin' epitome of nothing special. If he needs such a good OL to do anything then what is it he brings to the table over an absolute nobody? Hell, when the OL opens up holes or facing a crap defense you just saw career-nobody Kenny Watson shred the defense. And Cincy thought so much of Watson that they made sure they secured a HB (Irons) in this past draft. He is the goddamn leftover; he's only in there b/c three - THREE - other HB's are injured (Rudi, Perry, Irons). So exactly what does Jones bring to the table that we needed to trade down from a near-first-round pick to a near-third-round pick AND give him $20M with $12M up front???

We gave all that up for the Bears' version of Dominic Rhodes; Sammy Morris; Derrick Ward; Chester Taylor; Ladell Betts; Reuben Droughns; Antowain Smith.

This sorry Pennington/Jones offense put up 20 points (not counting the meaningless 8 points as time expired) against a Bengals defense starting Anthony Schlegel at MLB.

(Editor's Note: Anyone else wish Derrick Ward was still a Jet? Anyone else wish Vincenzo TestaOldMan was still a Jet? Anyone else miss The Tuna?)

-----

Topic: Penny this, Penny that, what about Robertson

Originally Posted by Max

Thank God for high def. If it wasn't for that damn widescreen you would never see Robertson on tv after the snap. That is how far he was being pushed back all day long.

(Editor's Note: You must be making a TON of cash on this site if you can afford a wide enough screen to have seen DRob on TV this past Sunday.)

-----

Topic: I'm convinced this coaching staff does not know how to make adjustments...

Originally Posted by NIGHT STALKER

I don't know whether they're having one big circle jerk in the locker room at half time, flipping coins, having tarot cards read or what...they are deer in headlights when the game is on the line...it will amaze me if any of these coaches get a call from another team after the season...I had better plays drawn up on my old high school chalk board back in the day...can I get a Hooah for my old high school, New Rochelle High...Ray Rice's territory.

(Editor's Note: Hooah and sad but true, NS. No adjustments at all...)

-----

Topic: Nice game Boar Hunter

Originally Posted by Gibbon

Gibbon, you know i didnt have very much to post about him in tc, because he never really saw the field at all last summer, except for playing on some STs, where he did okay.

It's as if the CS never gave him a chance to make the team. They seemed to hold his mistakes from last year against him. This CS is very unforgiving when players dont toe the line, or make mistakes. Dyson was a healthy scratch yesterday, Baker was left behind for speaking to the media, kendall in the rookie dorm, McC has rarely seen the field after dropping the ball vs the Ravens. They should try being tough on the CS for screwing up, too.

The only guy who hasnt been touched by the CS is Pennington. They havent gotten a good NT because their money is tied up in D-Rob. They even took Vilma out yesterday for being ineffective. Schlegel may not ever be an all-star, but he can make some plays against the run, which is big weakness on this Jets team.

So, it is fair to say they didnt even try to put Schlegel in a position to succeed, which is their chief failure of this season- not putting their players in a position to succeed.

It shows that there is more talent on the team than they knew, but they havent properly utilized the talent they have.

(The Nomination: "Yeah buddy - this Emperor Tojo crap only works well in certain scenarios. Mangini learned it from BB and and obviously it works for BB. When Mangini has SB rings on most of his fingers it might work for him too. It's not working now. It's a load of crap as he's yet to make the one change that could actually have a major impact. Pennington has done some regal schwansing on the field but he keeps giving him the football because he's also the biggest cheerleader." - NJ)

(Editor's Note: All I know is that this team has enough talent to be better than 1-6 at this point in the season. I'm not sure who is to blame, but there is blame to go around for sure.)

-----

Topic: Dallas Game

Originally Posted by MrsTaborJet

Not my best work, but it will do...

turkeydr7.jpg

(Editor's Note: Hahahahaha! MrsT made me spit up my coffee! Who's got the knife?)

-----

Topic: I am a Jet's Fan & Yes I am Pissed

Originally Posted by awats

We need some Fans that look to the future. We need Fans to be reminded of the first Press Conference that Mangini had when he told everyone that there will be changes and it will take a while. We need Fans to stop looking for an elite team in the middle of the second season of a HC who is GOING to make the Jets a winning team for a long time. We need Fans to reserve judging the HC until at least the end of his third season. In other words, we need Jets Fans to think positive. Stop thinking that they're going to lose every game. I hope when Mangini meets with the players this week, he makes it clear that any player on the team who doesn't buy into his scheme is welcome to leave. All these players were interviewed before coming aboard. Were they lying? And the Fans who are screaming to go back to the 43! We never really left the 43 and that is strictly because of Vilma. We all know that Dwayne Robertson is too light to be a true NT, but for now, he is what we got and he's not doing such a bad job. He's just not intimidating so he's not double covered. We can't stop the run. I've been a Fan since the Jets were the Titans and I seem to recall quite a few teams that we had which couldn't stop the run. In recent years, I don't really remember a Jets team that didn't give up mucho mucho running yds. I'm on the Jury too, and I say we're still out.

(Editor's Note: Great post to put things in perspective. Today's society, and I'm guilty of it too, is looking for instant gratification. HOWEVER, the team must show improvement and soon - it's getting harder and harder to watch this team each weekend.)

-----

Topic: No bashing Nugent today from the JN crew? Bahaha SHOVE IT

Originally Posted by Max

Not by all. Nugent is turning out to be a good kicker. I don't see a Pro Bowl in store for him in the next year or two. But he is definitely a good kicker.

Worth the pick? What kicker could live up to that really. We shouldn't even penalize him for something Terry Bradway did. That's not even fair.

It is Terry Bradway we are talking about here people!

(Editor's Note: "A friggin' kicker" - PatsFanTX)

-----

Topic: LaRussa to return for the Cards

Originally Posted by Scott Dierking

Drinks are on the house.

(Editor's Note: "I don't care how liberated this world becomes - a man will always be judged by the amount of alcohol he can consume - and a woman will be impressed, whether she likes it or not.")

-----

Originally Posted by barton

What, now you are a sox fan?

Oh wait, you are one of those sox/mets fans right? LOL.

Originally Posted by JonEJet

The guys a frigin' loser dude

All he does is chime in time to time, trying to be funny

NOT

These time to time chimers, quite annoying. No?

(Editor's Note: Are you saying that JonE's real name is "pot" or "kettle" here?)

-----

Topic: MNF - Remember when it was fun to watch?

Originally Posted by Smizzy

I can't handle it anymore.

First off...There is no need to have the players introduce their teammates. It's ridiculous. Everybody has a stupid nickname and everybody wants to be cool when they say them. Why can't they just introduce them like...well like their on a national television program?

Second....Why is Tony Kornheiser in the booth? Can't we just have competent football announcers? How much does Keith Jackson want? get anybody in there but this human dildo. After yrs of listening to John Madden perform verbal fellatio on Bret Favre....it's nothing compared to Kornholio sucking off Brady and Manning. PTI sucks. PIT on the halftime show? I want to kill myself after 30 seconds. Jesus Christ he is an ugly son of a bitch too.

Third....What the **** do I care what Russel Crowe or Jimmy Kimmel have to say about the football game? Oh thats right...you don't give a **** what they say..they are there to plug something. What the **** happened to telling me about the football game? Great. You and Denzel have a movie coming out....I seen it the first time when it was called Virtuosity and it SUCKED!

**** ESPN....PTI....Wilbon...Konheiser....and that stupid little Jercules from Around the Horn. They officially suck monkey turds.

(Editor's Note: ESPN is the scourge of modern sports. I hate ESPN and everything it stands for...)

-----

Topic: MNF - Remember when it was fun to watch?

Originally Posted by Sperm Edwards

Tirico: "And Kenton Keith runs off tackle for a short gain of --"

Kornheiser: "TOMMMMM BRADYYY!!!! He's making Manning insecure about his passing numbers now, you know."

Jaws: "Tom Brady's having a great season. Better than I ever had. No doubt about it."

Tirico: "...gain of 4 for the rookie. Second down."

Kornheiser: "PEYYYYTONNNN MAAAAAANNNNING!!!"

Tirico: "Huh?"

Kornheiser: "Peyton Manning. He's really great & stuff. Tom Brady's having an even better year if you can believe it. Who would you rather have right now?"

Jaws: "Peyton Manning's having a great season. Better than I ever had. No doubt about it."

Kornheiser: "Peyton Brady. Now THAT would be a great quarterback. You know how many touchdowns the two of them have combined this year? A lot. It's amazing how quickly I'm picking this game up. Oh - hey - Jimmy Kimmel's here! Wow man I think you're just fantastic. What time is your show on?"

Jimmy: "Well it's on weeknights at --"

Kornheiser: "TOMMMMM BRAAAAADYYYY!!!!! Oh. Sorry about that. Pardon the Interruption."

(The Nomination: "POTW. They are trying too hard." - Scott Dierking)

(Editor's Note: Scott says "trying too hard" - I say they are just clueless clown idiots.)

-----

Originally Posted by Smizzy

56025240v3_150x150_Front.jpg

I just bought this for DWC

(Editor's Note: It'll look nice on him, Smiz - you are so thoughtful!)

-----

Topic: My theory

I've brought this up before (I think), but I think the worst thing that could have happened to Mangini and the Jets was the 10-6 record last year and the playoff appearance.

Here's why;

When Mangini came in he had to believe that he was looking at a major overhaul and several years of struggles and mediocrity before he could build the winning team the way he wanted it to function. He introduced a new culture drafted players that fit that culture (as a foundation of what the team values he wanted). The season started and blam! he was the coach of a winning team in his first year.

I believe this resulted in a number of changes that derailed Mangini's original long term plan for the Jets.

First, and most importantly, what had looked like a major rebuilding project now looked like team that so got the ethic, the system, the offensive scheme etc that it just needed some tweeking to become a championship caliber team. So, you dont pursue the big name free agents and instead pick up value guys who have specific skills that you think can improve the team (Kenyon Coleman). During the draft you trade away a lot of picks for a few picks -- granted you got two very good players -- because you dont see all that many holes that need filling. Instead of changing the nature of camp and practice you make it even more strenuous etc. There's no need to change QB and develop the young guy you picked when you were rebuilding, because if the old, limited guy you played last year was good enough then he should be good enough this season. After all you went to the playoffs in the first year, you dont need to do much to get to the next level.

Second, you are the new crown prince of young coaches, the Mangenious, your on the Sopranos etc. No matter how humble you are this has to affect your thinking. So, you quickly assume that you can win with almost any combination of players. You can keep the guys who dont really fit your system because after all they were successful in the first year in the system they are bound to improve in the second year. You can get rid of guys that are malcontents or that you picked up when you thought you had a rebuilding project on your hands (Pete Kendall) because your system etc works and everyone is replaceable.

In short, you alter your long term plan, and in the process set your team back a year of development and by losing and by continuing to be an incredibly rigid, disciplinarian (after all it worked last year) you end up losing the support of your team leaders (Vilma).

If the Jets had gone 7-9 last year the Jets this year would probably be closer to achieving Super Bowl contender status than they are now.

Just a theory.

Originally Posted by Green DNA

My theory is that had the Spopranos gone one more year, Tony would have been looking to whack Mangini for costing him a ton of money.

(Editor's Note: Don't stop, believing - hold on to that fee-ee-ee-ling. Streetlight, pe-poohohohhhhhhhhhhh-oh-oh-uh, oh.)

-----

Topic: My theory

I've brought this up before (I think), but I think the worst thing that could have happened to Mangini and the Jets was the 10-6 record last year and the playoff appearance.

Here's why;

When Mangini came in he had to believe that he was looking at a major overhaul and several years of struggles and mediocrity before he could build the winning team the way he wanted it to function. He introduced a new culture drafted players that fit that culture (as a foundation of what the team values he wanted). The season started and blam! he was the coach of a winning team in his first year.

I believe this resulted in a number of changes that derailed Mangini's original long term plan for the Jets.

First, and most importantly, what had looked like a major rebuilding project now looked like team that so got the ethic, the system, the offensive scheme etc that it just needed some tweeking to become a championship caliber team. So, you dont pursue the big name free agents and instead pick up value guys who have specific skills that you think can improve the team (Kenyon Coleman). During the draft you trade away a lot of picks for a few picks -- granted you got two very good players -- because you dont see all that many holes that need filling. Instead of changing the nature of camp and practice you make it even more strenuous etc. There's no need to change QB and develop the young guy you picked when you were rebuilding, because if the old, limited guy you played last year was good enough then he should be good enough this season. After all you went to the playoffs in the first year, you dont need to do much to get to the next level.

Second, you are the new crown prince of young coaches, the Mangenious, your on the Sopranos etc. No matter how humble you are this has to affect your thinking. So, you quickly assume that you can win with almost any combination of players. You can keep the guys who dont really fit your system because after all they were successful in the first year in the system they are bound to improve in the second year. You can get rid of guys that are malcontents or that you picked up when you thought you had a rebuilding project on your hands (Pete Kendall) because your system etc works and everyone is replaceable.

In short, you alter your long term plan, and in the process set your team back a year of development and by losing and by continuing to be an incredibly rigid, disciplinarian (after all it worked last year) you end up losing the support of your team leaders (Vilma).

If the Jets had gone 7-9 last year the Jets this year would probably be closer to achieving Super Bowl contender status than they are now.

Just a theory.

(Editor's Note: Good theory, G - this year very well may set the overall development of this team back several years. Mangini better have some interesting tricks up his sleeve for the second half of the season, though, or he's going to need to replace 66% of the roster.)

-----

And this week's winner...

Topic: No bashing Nugent today from the JN crew? Bahaha SHOVE IT

And herein lies lies the problem with the new NFL fan.

The new fan is a guy who follows his "fantasy football guys". People have been known to root for limited success of players of their favorite team, purely for their fantasy team's sake.

We have people who are "Message Board Geniuses", staking their Message Board GM abilities on the success (or failure) of any given football player.

You have people that root for losses at the end of the season, just so it increases their chances of their team drafting early, and they can draft Joe Bob Somebody from I Hate U

and fill out their draft card precisely.

Every fan comes to the table with a different team agenda. No longer is the final score, the final score. It has to be dissected into "I told you so" and "Boy were you wrong on that one".

Team sport. Pfffft. Certainly not from a fan perspective anymore.

Wins and losses are based on reputation points and Chest thumping. I will top your avitar with a post from December 23rd 2003. See how smart I am.

I yearn for simplier times. Then again, I am a fool.

Congratulations to Scotty D on his Post of the Week victory. Scott has a knack for putting things in their place. In the midst of a terrible season, this post hits the heart of what a lot of fans sites are seeing. Scott nailed the prevalent attitude of not just Jets fans, but many fans of many sports in the USA. Wear the badge with pride this week, Scotty:

potw.jpg

The Assist of the Week goes to afosomf for making me laugh out loud twice this week with the same line - 35-39 for 141. HA! :D

That's all I've got for this week. How about we get a win this week, huh guys?

Y'all be cool -

gb

Thanks GB, it is really an honor with the quality of this board and I appreciate all the hard work you put on this site.

It is always the posts where I call myself a fool and an idiot that people relate to. It should tell me something about myself.

I owe kudos on the assist to BP, also, who seems to be a great guy. I can only guess there.

Thanks.

Thanks GB, it is really an honor with the quality of this board and I appreciate all the hard work you put on this site.

It is always the posts where I call myself a fool and an idiot that people relate to. It should tell me something about myself.

I owe kudos on the assist to BP, also, who seems to be a great guy. I can only guess there.

Thanks.

Nice work, Scotty - make sure you add that banner to your sig!

Thanks.

SD --

Congrats.

And you guessed wrong. BP is not a great guy. I was fooled myself. I invited him to our tailgate. Now he won't leave.

Making matters worse is he brings a ton of beer each week and shares it. And one week he brought a stripper with him.

Unreal.

Archived