Make or Break game for this regime..

pjam76

I think Mangini, Tanni and even Schott should get another chance next season to see what they can really do, but in my opinion, this is a make or break game for this regime. They are coming off a bye. The Steelers are coming off some tough spots where Big Ben got knocked around now and again.

The Jets should have a pretty good game plan prepared after two weeks. Maybe add a few trick plays, change around some positioning, add a few new surprises, do something to change the anemic offense and the disgraceful defense. 2 weeks won't turn this season or team around, but 2 weeks should give them plenty of time to figure out some way to at least hang with the Steelers.

The Steelers are a good team, but they aren't that great.... BIg Ben runs for his life because that OL isn't that great.. It's good, not great....

In my opinion, if the Jets wind up losing 23-14 but kept it close, made adjustments and so on but in the end, the Steelers were just a better team, I'd gain some confidence that at least the coaching staff made some adjustments and knew what they were doing. On the other hand if the Steelers take a 17-3 lead early in the game, I'd start to assume that Mangini and this coaching staff shouldn't be in the NFL.

So for me, tomorrows game isn't really about winning or losing, it's about seeing how this team comes out after two weeks off and a season so far where the entire team and coaching staff are the laughing stock of the NFL... Well the Fins are that but the Jets are #2 in that department so far.

Like I said, if they come out flat tomorrow and the Steelers jump on them early to a 17-3 lead, I still think Mangini should come back next season, but my thought would be it wouldn't matter cause he just isn't a good NFL head coach. 2 weeks off and a lousy first half with a team who stinks in the second half, means this coaching staff really can't coach.

I hope they win or lose a close game, otherwise a 34-17 blowout where they scored 10 points at the end of the game is close to having a coaching staff who will never build a winner.

I really dont think one game really should determine the future of Eric Mangini at all. It would be real nice to see this team come out after the bye week and play with some intensity and fire and get a win along with some the offensive and defensive playcalling improved.

It's not about one game, it's about the way this team plays... If they can't even come out after 2 weeks off and show something, you have to start to assume they never will. Tomorrows game is an accumulation of things... They are 1-7 yet have had a relatively easy schedule so far this season. And as I said, if they come out flat after two weeks off and a 1-7 record, you have to assume Mangini is in over his head.

Good teams and coaches come out after a bye and win. Bad teams make excuses.

It's not about one game, it's about the way this team plays... If they can't even come out after 2 weeks off and show something, you have to start to assume they never will. Tomorrows game is an accumulation of things... They are 1-7 yet have had a relatively easy schedule so far this season. And as I said, if they come out flat after two weeks off and a 1-7 record, you have to assume Mangini is in over his head.

Good post. Whether they come out flat or not reality is there offense is going up against a top 5 defense and there defense is going up against a top 5 offense and by the way we rank in the bottom 5 of both categories. If we came out after a bye week and got smoked by the Bills or Browns who are both two decent teams then thats differnt, but were talking about the #2 team in the conference, but playing with some fire and intensity will go a long way.

Good post. Whether they come out flat or not reality is there offense is going up against a top 5 defense and there defense is going up against a top 5 offense and by the way we rank in the bottom 5 of both categories. If we came out after a bye week and got smoked by the Bills or Browns who are both two decent teams then thats differnt, but were talking about the #2 team in the conference, but playing with some fire and intensity will go a long way.

I agree with you there.. I think the Steelers are a bit overrated this season.. Heck it seems they always are....But they are a good team... I don't think the Jets will win this game, but even against a better team, the final score should be something like 23-14 not 34-17 where you scored 10 points in the last 2 minutes.

A blowout or a near blowout means this team gave up and the 2 weeks off was more like a vacation than preparation. That is what I want to see. Some crazy intensity where they go out and act like this game is the super bowl..... 1-7 teams should act like that, otherwise, you gotta say the coach has lost the team.

I agree with you there.. I think the Steelers are a bit overrated this season.. Heck it seems they always are....But they are a good team... I don't think the Jets will win this game, but even against a better team, the final score should be something like 23-14 not 34-17 where you scored 10 points in the last 2 minutes.

A blowout or a near blowout means this team gave up and the 2 weeks off was more like a vacation than preparation. That is what I want to see. Some crazy intensity where they go out and act like this game is the super bowl..... 1-7 teams should act like that, otherwise, you gotta say the coach has lost the team.

Agreed. Herms teams would have come out for blood this game and played with the us against the world mentality.

The thing is we've been in every game with a chance to win/tie late in the 4th quarter, despite the fact that the D cant stop anyone and our offense consistently collapses after half time.

It almost seems as if all the good luck we had last year has caught up to us this season.

Archived