Hockey 101 for guys like me

TomShane

Maybe you guys can help me understand. The NHL was declining in popularity, as all major sports were, but the NHL in particular was hemmorhaging fanbase, yet the players were making insane amounts of money. Now, the owners want to make the adjustment in the player salaries to reflect the fact that the NHL will never be more than the #4 sport in the United States, and that its revenue will always be limited, and the players decided that this is unacceptable and they have this huge lockout, during which almost no one except for random die-hards have even noticed hockey was gone. ESPN is doing better numbers airing NCAA baseball than they were with their premier NHL packages. No major cable network will carry the games when they decide to come back and the NHL will have to settle for airing on Spike TV between reruns of Magnum PI and The Man Show.

My question is this, what are they thinking? This would be like the fleet of lesbian lumberjacks that populate the WNBA staging a walkout, no?

Maybe you guys can help me understand. The NHL was declining in popularity, as all major sports were, but the NHL in particular was hemmorhaging fanbase, yet the players were making insane amounts of money. Now, the owners want to make the adjustment in the player salaries to reflect the fact that the NHL will never be more than the #4 sport in the United States, and that its revenue will always be limited, and the players decided that this is unacceptable and they have this huge lockout, during which almost no one except for random die-hards have even noticed hockey was gone. ESPN is doing better numbers airing NCAA baseball than they were with their premier NHL packages. No major cable network will carry the games when they decide to come back and the NHL will have to settle for airing on Spike TV between reruns of Magnum PI and The Man Show.

My question is this, what are they thinking? This would be like the fleet of lesbian lumberjacks that populate the WNBA staging a walkout, no?

To try to give a serious answer- Bettman and owners had this delusion that hockey is a mainstream sport and to try to copycat the other leagues like baseball and football. The overall revenue is just not there to support these salaries-unless you are Dolans and Cablevision throwing away money

To try to give a serious answer- Bettman and owners had this delusion that hockey is a mainstream sport and to try to copycat the other leagues like baseball and football. The overall revenue is just not there to support these salaries-unless you are Dolans and Cablevision throwing away money

faba, I goof on hockey alot but I was being serious. Hockey is just an awful TV sport so it loses revenue there, despite trying to buddy up with NBC and FOX. They should really consider some rules changes or something to make it a better viewer sport even if it compromises "tradition." If you could make the game faster--maybe eliminating icing?-- and figure a way to make the puck more visible and the players less anonymous, I think it could sell. But in its current state, there's just no way.

faba, I goof on hockey alot but I was being serious. Hockey is just an awful TV sport so it loses revenue there, despite trying to buddy up with NBC and FOX. They should really consider some rules changes or something to make it a better viewer sport even if it compromises "tradition." If you could make the game faster--maybe eliminating icing?-- and figure a way to make the puck more visible and the players less anonymous, I think it could sell. But in its current state, there's just no way.

All the years I have followed hockey me and others I know with knowledge of the game have always said- hockey is a sport you have to see in person live-can not get the true benefit in viewing it on a t.v

All the years I have followed hockey me and others I know with knowledge of the game have always said- hockey is a sport you have to see in person live-can not get the true benefit in viewing it on a t.v

Faba, are you inviting me to a game? Is that what you're doing? Because if so, I am touched. Really. And I accept. As soon as the lockout is over, we'll go see the Rangers. This will be so much fun. I am so excited.

Male bonding-is that what this is called- sure we can go to a game together- at the Garden if you like-

Faba, are you inviting me to a game? Is that what you're doing? Because if so, I am touched. Really. And I accept. As soon as the lockout is over, we'll go see the Rangers. This will be so much fun. I am so excited.

Male bonding-is that what this is called- sure we can go to a game together- at the Garden if you like-

Homo jokes aside, faba is right. I didn't give hockey the respect it deserves until I went to see a game (and several others afterwards). It is truly the only sport where you have to be there to appreciate it fully. There's nothing like Devils playoff hockey, either! :D

Having played it all my life, I don't like watching the game on TV. But a live game? Man, those guys are fast. And if you're lucky enough to be up close, you can really appreciate the skill and grace of the game. But if a fight breaks out, don't be a moron and start pounding on the glass.

:wink:

d

Having played it all my life, I don't like watching the game on TV. But a live game? Man, those guys are fast. And if you're lucky enough to be up close, you can really appreciate the skill and grace of the game. But if a fight breaks out, don't be a moron and start pounding on the glass.

d

d

Vandoug

When you see a game live you really appreciate the speed and the good physical play in front of the net, along the boards- also I do not think there is anything more exciting in sports to me than a overtime in playoff hockey

d

Vandoug

When you see a game live you really appreciate the speed and the good physical play in front of the net, along the boards- also I do not think there is anything more exciting in sports to me than a overtime in playoff hockey

Vandoug

Yeah, I'll give it that.

There's not too many sports that end sudden death wise, where the swing from one team winning to the other could be a few seconds.

d

Vandoug

Yeah, I'll give it that.

There's not too many sports that end sudden death wise, where the swing from one team winning to the other could be a few seconds.

d

Archived