Cards' Rolle vows to honor childhood friend Taylor

JetCane

He has some VERY interesting things to say...

Cards' Rolle vows to honor childhood friend Taylor

Associated Press

Updated: November 28, 2007, 7:27 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

Rolle and Taylor, whose fathers were policemen in Homestead, Fla., started playing football together when they were 6 years old. They went on to become University of Miami teammates and NFL first-round draft picks. Both wore No. 21, Rolle for the Cardinals, Taylor for the Washington Redskins.

Rolle said he hadn't talked to Taylor in a while, and that the Redskin had withdrawn from the crowd he hung around with to build a new life with his girlfriend and young daughter.

"There was so much surrounding him," Rolle said. "Everyone was talking about him bad, so he just had to distance himself from everyone and live a life of his own. ... Within the last year, I've never seen anyone make such a dramatic change,"

Withdrawing from a bad crowd isn't easy, though, Rolle said.

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," he said. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

Rolle said his family rushed to the hospital to be with Taylor's family following the shooting.

"It really hasn't hit me yet," Rolle said, "the fact that I'm never going to see his face again, his ways, him performing on the field. My heart goes out to his girlfriend, his family, his little kid."

Rolle will leave immediately after Sunday's game against Cleveland on a flight to Miami, where he will attend Monday's memorial service. But Rolle wants fans to keep remembering Taylor as the player he was and the man he was becoming after some rough years.

"I'm going to keep his name alive," Rolle said. "Every time I make a play, I'm definitely going to mention him. I'm going to represent my 21 as his 21."

Rolle said he and Taylor became friends as 6-year-old teammates for the Homestead Hurricanes. Later, when they played against each other, Rolle was a running back and Taylor a linebacker.

"They'd call a sweep one way," Rolle said. "I would look at him on that side, and I would change the play myself and go the other way because I knew he would try to knock my head off."

Rolle was an All-American as a senior in 2004 and was picked eighth overall by the Cardinals. A year before, Taylor earned similar honors at Miami, then went to Washington as the fifth overall choice.

"I definitely will go out there and play and do everything I can do because I know how much he loved the game," Rolle said. "I don't think there was anyone who lived it or took it as seriously as he did. I just told myself I'm not going to let his name die. We started when we were 6 years old, and we're going to finish it together."

God Bless his soul and watch over his family....It's really hard when you grow up in the streets or you grow up with or have the wrong crowd as friends. He tried to change his life and get away from that but unfortunately it's hard to do that. He can make that break but that doesn't mean they want to let him go. It's like being in a gang or trying to get out of the mob...It's not easy. Like his friend said, he's at rest now. It's horrible, but there's no more fear for him. My prayers and thoughts go out to his parents, his girlfriend, and his daughter. God Bless them and keep them all.

God Bless his soul and watch over his family....It's really hard when you grow up in the streets or you grow up with or have the wrong crowd as friends. He tried to change his life and get away from that but unfortunately it's hard to do that. He can make that break but that doesn't mean they want to let him go. It's like being in a gang or trying to get out of the mob...It's not easy. Like his friend said, he's at rest now. It's horrible, but there's no more fear for him. My prayers and thoughts go out to his parents, his girlfriend, and his daughter. God Bless them and keep them all.

POTW NOM

SeanTaylor-big.jpg

POTW NOM

SeanTaylor-big.jpg

I'm sorry JC, I guess I just don't get why you can't just move away from the crowd that's going to be a negative on your life. He played for the skins, why not move to a nice home in Virginia and start your life over? Is the "wrong crowd" from the streets of Miami going to follow him there?

Damn, when I think back to 1970 when the family left NY for Florida, we left family and friends behind...people do that all the time.

I just don't understand...

He did leave the crowd, he just for some reasond did not leave the area. Miami is hometown, he obviously did not want to leave it. Should he have? No question about it. But could they have still found him in Virginia or D.C. if they really wanted him dead? Yes they could've. I guess he didn't want to go out running away.

He did leave the crowd, he just for some reasond did not leave the area. Miami is hometown, he obviously did not want to leave it. Should he have? No question about it. But could they have still found him in Virginia or D.C. if they really wanted him dead? Yes they could've. I guess he didn't want to go out running away.

Sorry Joe, that's not a good enough excuse for me...if you fear for your life, you do something about it...especially if it's going to affect your family as well. These guys make a lot of money and could afford to move anywhere they want and hire security for themselves...I feel sorry the kid is dead, but let's not make excuses...he had the means to make a difference and didn't.

They were going to find him in Florida or Virginia. It was just a matter of time. If you want someone dead, you find them and you finish your business. This guy or these guys (since a group could've picked one guy to do this) would've found him eventually. He didn't want to go out like, well, a bitch. I can understand that.

Like I said though, with his money I agree with you that he should've moved out of the area, but I'm just saying, they wouldn't gotten to him eventually.

They were going to find him in Florida or Virginia. It was just a matter of time. If you want someone dead, you find them and you finish your business. This guy or these guys (since a group could've picked one guy to do this) would've found him eventually. He didn't want to go out like, well, a bitch. I can understand that.

Like I said though, with his money I agree with you that he should've moved out of the area, but I'm just saying, they wouldn't gotten to him eventually.

I guess we can agree to disagree then...myself and a lot of Nam vets want Jane Fonda dead, how come none of us can get to her? Believe me, we have more training then these street gangstas.

I guess we can agree to disagree then...myself and a lot of Nam vets want Jane Fonda dead, how come none of us can get to her? Believe me, we have more training then these street gangstas.

Have you went out and searched for her? ;) J/P'ing man.

Plus, Sean Taylor is a little bit easier to find for these guys I'm sure.

Yep. A $250 plane fare to DC wouldnt have stopped someone from flying up there to cap him. Was he not supposed to visit his father (a police chief) who still lives in the area? Was he not supposed to work out at the U with the other Canes during the off-season?

And what happens when the Skins have to go to Miami to play the Dolfags?

Was he supposed to go into the NFL witness protection program?

Yep. A $250 plane fare to DC wouldnt have stopped someone from flying up there to cap him. Was he not supposed to visit his father (a police chief) who still lives in the area? Was he not supposed to work out at the U with the other Canes during the off-season?

And what happens when the Skins have to go to Miami to play the Dolfags?

Was he supposed to go into the NFL witness protection program?

Tell me you're not serious with this post.

Tell me you're not serious with this post.

Why not? He's right. These guys could get him while he's visiting his father or training with Shockey, McGahee & Co. down at The U. I forgot about all those situations as well.

Why not? He's right. These guys could get him while he's visiting his father or training with Shockey, McGahee & Co. down at The U. I forgot about all those situations as well.

I'm done with this thread...maybe these street thugs should apply for the next James Bond movie if they know all this inside info...tell me Joe, can you get to Pennington if you wanted to blow him away? With all my training, I know I can't.

It's unrealistic to think he couldnt be found even if he moved to DC fulltime, which is where he was already spending most of his time, anyway.

I'm done with this thread...maybe these street thugs should apply for the next James Bond movie if they know all this inside info...tell me Joe, can you get to Pennington if you wanted to blow him away? With all my training, I know I can't.

With the internet you can find out anything. Its not even hard to get unlisted phone numbers and addresses if you know where to look. You can get maps that pinpoint the exact address. No training needed.

With the internet you can find out anything. Its not even hard to get unlisted phone numbers and addresses if you know where to look. You can get maps that pinpoint the exact address. No training needed.

I said I wasn't going to reply to this thread anymore, but this particular post tickled my interest...hotshot net guy, get me Jane Fonda's home address and phone number...maps if you got them. Now, I don't want her PR guy, you said you can get unlisted phone numbers and addresses...now, be a good scout and hand over the info.

I said I wasn't going to reply to this thread anymore, but this particular post tickled my interest...hotshot net guy, get me Jane Fonda's home address and phone number...maps if you got them. Now, I don't want her PR guy, you said you can get unlisted phone numbers and addresses...now, be a good scout and hand over the info.

Maybe not Jane Fonda...but football players/basketball player are real easy to find in "the hood". Especially the ones that wanna 'keep it real'. Can't tell you how many times i've run into ballplayers on South Beach alone.

how much are you willing to pay? i do nothing for free.

i also don't do any work that would result in harm to any person or property, im a pascifist. so also let me know what you will be needed it for.

how much are you willing to pay? i do nothing for free.

i also don't do any work that would result in harm to any person or property, im a pascifist. so also let me know what you will be needed it for.

Yeah, I figured as much...next time, don't open up your yap and start bragging that the info is easy to get...she would have been DOA a long time ago.

Yeah, I figured as much...next time, don't open up your yap and start bragging that the info is easy to get...she would have been DOA a long time ago.

sorry man, do the research yourself then. if you are at all competant with a computer you should have no problem. if you are willing to pay $50+/per hour (and it shouldn't take more than a few weeks, and that would be considered 'quick and easy') and aren't going to cause any personal or property damage and are willing to sign documents that say such, send me a pm. if not, sorry, you are on your own. its not hard to find any of it, you should have no problem.

sorry man, do the research yourself then. if you are at all competant with a computer you should have no problem. if you are willing to pay $50+/per hour (and it shouldn't take more than a few weeks, and that would be considered 'quick and easy') and aren't going to cause any personal or property damage and are willing to sign documents that say such, send me a pm. if not, sorry, you are on your own. its not hard to find any of it, you should have no problem.

You know, my entire point in this thread was missed because we got into this "they can find you if they want" BS. Taylor made a choice to stay in "Dodge" and not move on once he started his career in the NFL...it wasn't a matter of "couldnt move", he wouldn't move. I suggest some of you guys read the Curtis Martin story. He had it many time worse than Taylor growing up and he made a choice...he moved out of "Dodge" and never looked back. Did Taylor deserve to die because he didn't make that same choice CM did? Of course not...

You know, my entire point in this thread was missed because we got into this "they can find you if they want" BS. Taylor made a choice to stay in "Dodge" and not move on once he started his career in the NFL...it wasn't a matter of "couldnt move", he wouldn't move. I suggest some of you guys read the Curtis Martin story. He had it many time worse than Taylor growing up and he made a choice...he moved out of "Dodge" and never looked back. Did Taylor deserve to die because he didn't make that same choice CM did? Of course not...

lots of people are murdered every day, to say that moving out of a state or area is going to save them is silly. i could really care less about what curtis martin did. lots of people stay in crappy areas and they aren't killed. blame the culprit, not the victim. although, i don't see that coming from someone who wants to see someone else dead, just because they don't see eye to eye. yeah, real intelligent.

the fact is, he shouldn't have to move, or be worried about dying if he doesn't, from his hometown just because he was successful.

lots of people are murdered every day, to say that moving out of a state or area is going to save them is silly. i could really care less about what curtis martin did. lots of people stay in crappy areas and they aren't killed. blame the culprit, not the victim. although, i don't see that coming from someone who wants to see someone else dead, just because they don't see eye to eye. yeah, real intelligent.

the fact is, he shouldn't have to move, or be worried about dying if he doesn't, from his hometown just because he was successful.

Fo sho, shorty.

Here's a photo that is floating around with Sean, Rolle and a couple of other teammates.

669-0209121872.standalone.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Then how did someone just kill Sean Taylor?

Its not that hard to find out personal information nowaday. ****. If you wanted to kill Sean Taylor and he moved away from Florida, wouldn't you hang out by the Skins facility and trail him home one night?

Then how did someone just kill Sean Taylor?

Its not that hard to find out personal information nowaday. ****. If you wanted to kill Sean Taylor and he moved away from Florida, wouldn't you hang out by the Skins facility and trail him home one night?

Random...maybe. I guess I'm just from another generation...dumb me, I'm thinking you can just move away if I'm a millionaire, hire a security guard or two and make sure I surround myself with people that wouldn't be a bad influence on me or my family...but hey, what the hell do I know.

Random...maybe. I guess I'm just from another generation...dumb me, I'm thinking you can just move away if I'm a millionaire, hire a security guard or two and make sure I surround myself with people that wouldn't be a bad influence on me or my family...but hey, what the hell do I know.

But whose to say that that person can't kill that security guard or come up with a smart enough plan to get through and into the house or follow Taylor on the road or at the grocery store? No matter how much you make, having a security guard with 24/7, 365 would A. Be an inconvience and B. Be very, very expensive.

Its not you being from a new generation, its you having a different mindset than most. Who knows what you would do with millions. We will never know.

Also, Taylor was not surrounding himself with those people anymore. He had them out of his life since his daughter was born. Unfortunately, one of them or a bunch of them were annoyed by this and felt that either A. Killing him or B. Injurying him enough were he couldn't put on the pads again, would make pay for what they believed was a disservice to them.

I abhor the idea that he was supposed to never set foot in dade county again because some thugs he grew up with had a problem with his success, and were p1ssed that he wasnt take care of his homeboys.

In hindsight, if he truly was in fear as Rolle suggested, it would have been smart to hire a bodyguard while he was there, espeially after the first break-in. But it's real easy to say that now.

It's also easy for OTHER people to say, "well, he should have moved". i think if it happened to them, they not not feel so happy about getting run out of town, a big city where they were born and educated, and had family and an alma mater where other players worked out, because some tough guys in the hood felt betrayed. I dont think Wilbon would leave Chicago on the next train if some thugs threatened him.

And btw sean will be buried in Florida on Monday:

There will be a public viewing for Sean Taylor from 6 to 9 p.m. on Sunday at the Second Baptist Church, 11111 Pinkston Dr. in Richmond Heights. There will also be a candlelight vigil about 6 p.m. Sunday at the University of Miami outside the BankUnited Center, following the UM men's basketball game.

The funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the Pharmed Arena at Florida International University's University Park campus, 11200 SW Eighth St. It is open to the public.

It will be followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero, 11655 SW 117th Ave.

greenandorange2xu0.jpg

I abhor the idea that he was supposed to never set foot in dade county again because some thugs he grew up with had a problem with his success, and were p1ssed that he wasnt take care of his homeboys.

In hindsight, if he truly was in fear as Rolle suggested, it would have been smart to hire a bodyguard while he was there, espeially after the first break-in. But it's real easy to say that now.

It's also easy for OTHER people to say, "well, he should have moved". i think if it happened to them, they not not feel so happy about getting run out of town, a big city where they were born and educated, and had family and an alma mater where other players worked out, because some tough guys in the hood felt betrayed. I dont think Wilbon would leave Chicago on the next train if some thugs threatened him.

And btw sean will be buried in Florida on Monday:

There will be a public viewing for Sean Taylor from 6 to 9 p.m. on Sunday at the Second Baptist Church, 11111 Pinkston Dr. in Richmond Heights. There will also be a candlelight vigil about 6 p.m. Sunday at the University of Miami outside the BankUnited Center, following the UM men's basketball game.

The funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the Pharmed Arena at Florida International University's University Park campus, 11200 SW Eighth St. It is open to the public.

It will be followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero, 11655 SW 117th Ave.

greenandorange2xu0.jpg

Hey JC, you win! I should have never even replied to this thread. One last question though...why is the service being held at FIU and not the U?

But whose to say that that person can't kill that security guard or come up with a smart enough plan to get through and into the house or follow Taylor on the road or at the grocery store? No matter how much you make, having a security guard with 24/7, 365 would A. Be an inconvience and B. Be very, very expensive.

Its not you being from a new generation, its you having a different mindset than most. Who knows what you would do with millions. We will never know.

Also, Taylor was not surrounding himself with those people anymore. He had them out of his life since his daughter was born. Unfortunately, one of them or a bunch of them were annoyed by this and felt that either A. Killing him or B. Injurying him enough were he couldn't put on the pads again, would make pay for what they believed was a disservice to them.

LOL...you never cease to amaze me. My world is a lot bigger than yours my friend and most of my world agrees with me.

Check out Jason Whitlock's column today...he puts it in the right perspective...any yeah, he's an African American. But, because he has a different opinion than yours makes him what? In the miniority? News flash for you Joe, you're in the minority with this...there's a life away from this board which is much bigger than the few that agree with you here.

Archived