Andy Phillips refuses outright assignment by Yankees, becomes free agent

Bob

I bet he finds a big-league job.

Andy Phillips refuses outright assignment by Yankees, becomes free agent

December 7, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- First baseman Andy Phillips refused the New York Yankees' outright assignment to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday and became a free agent.

Phillips was designated for assignment on Tuesday, when the Yankees needed to clear a roster spot for backup catcher Jose Molina, who finalized a $4 million, two-year contract.

Phillips batted .292 with two homers and 25 RBIs in 61 games for the Yankees. Promoted from Triple-A on June 19, he played extensively at first base in place of injured Doug Mientkiewicz.

The Mets should sign him to replace Delgado.

Just kidding.

Seriously, I bet he finds a home on a team with some age at 1B, and not a lot in the Minors. Almost sounds like the Yankees. Juan Miranda is the closest we have in the Minors, and he has a suspect glove, although he can hit, and with good power.

The Mets should sign him to replace Delgado.

Just kidding.

Seriously, I bet he finds a home on a team with some age at 1B, and not a lot in the Minors. Almost sounds like the Yankees. Juan Miranda is the closest we have in the Minors, and he has a suspect glove, although he can hit, and with good power.

I take it that the Eric Duncan at 1B never took off?

I don't really follow minor league baseball enough so this is a serious question and not a smartass one

I take it that the Eric Duncan at 1B never took off?

I don't really follow minor league baseball enough so this is a serious question and not a smartass one

It is no small secret that Eric Duncan has been a disappointment so far. He has battled health issues, specifically with his lower back, which is not a good sign for power hitters. He has a sweet lefty swing, and when healthy, has driven the ball, with mixed results, so far. IMO, 2008 is the make or break year. He is under 23, but this is the time he needs to step up and show something, and I don't mean to just stay healthy for a full season.

He was moved up level to level rapidly in his career, usually he has been the youngest in his league. But that is over now. Produce, or his status as a prospect is gone.

Archived