LoDuca to join the Nationals.

faba

Lo Duca agrees to deal with Nats

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }December 10, 2007

WASHINGTON (TICKER) -- The Washington Nationals have found a replacement for catcher Brian Schneider.

The Nationals on Monday agreed to terms on a one-year contract with veteran backstop Paul Lo Duca, who spent the previous two seasons with the New York Mets.

According to a report on the team's web site, the Nationals will not officially announce the move until the 34-year-old Lo Duca passes a physical.

Washington was in the market for an every day catcher after sending Schneider to the Mets in the trade in which they acquired outfielder Lastings Milledge. A four-time All-Star, Lo Duca is a career .288 hitter in 10 major league seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Florida Marlins and Mets. Last season, he batted .272 with nine home runs and 54 RBI in 119 games for New York.

Lo Duca agrees to deal with Nats

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }December 10, 2007

WASHINGTON (TICKER) -- The Washington Nationals have found a replacement for catcher Brian Schneider.

The Nationals on Monday agreed to terms on a one-year contract with veteran backstop Paul Lo Duca, who spent the previous two seasons with the New York Mets.

According to a report on the team's web site, the Nationals will not officially announce the move until the 34-year-old Lo Duca passes a physical.

Washington was in the market for an every day catcher after sending Schneider to the Mets in the trade in which they acquired outfielder Lastings Milledge. A four-time All-Star, Lo Duca is a career .288 hitter in 10 major league seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Florida Marlins and Mets. Last season, he batted .272 with nine home runs and 54 RBI in 119 games for New York.

Im glad Minaya was able to upgrade the Nationals this offseason.

Im glad Minaya was able to upgrade the Nationals this offseason.

Supposedly, there was friction between Minaya and LoDuca, to teh point where they could not bring him back.

The moves that you have seen teh Mets make, point largely to them wanting to move out the "characters" off this team.

Typical Mets.

Whether it helps the team on teh field, and ultimately what they have, have yet to be seen.

Supposedly, there was friction between Minaya and LoDuca, to teh point where they could not bring him back.

The moves that you have seen teh Mets make, point largely to them wanting to move out the "characters" off this team.

Typical Mets.

Whether it helps the team on teh field, and ultimately what they have, have yet to be seen.

i dont care if the GM and a player have friction. Winning cures all ills. To give up loduca and Milledge for Church and Schneider is a major downgrade for this team.

I dont think Loduca is the answer and shouldnt have been resigned. But Schneider sure isnt the answer either. But between the 2, Id rather keep the known quantity. We need a real catcher, not this crap we have behind the plate for '08.

Oh well, Minaya has his career riding on '08. He'd better hope this team is going to improve.

I actually like Schneider. I liked LoDuca as well.

I think Schneider gives you grit and is a gamer. is he this big offensive threat, no he isn't. but neither was LoDuca. What LoDuca did give you was quality at bats, and the club will miss this. I can't speak to the piutcher's relationships with LoDuca and where that may hurt or help. But I do know Schneider to be a professional.

Church will give you a little more than what Green gave you offensively. Not great, but every position can't be an All-star. He will be an upgrade defensively.

Face it, teh Mets had a hole at catcher, and needed to fill it.

There is a much bigger hole as an innings eater for the staff. That is where Minaya will earn his offseason grade.

i dont care if the GM and a player have friction. Winning cures all ills. To give up loduca and Milledge for Church and Schneider is a major downgrade for this team.

I dont think Loduca is the answer and shouldnt have been resigned. But Schneider sure isnt the answer either. But between the 2, Id rather keep the known quantity. We need a real catcher, not this crap we have behind the plate for '08.

Oh well, Minaya has his career riding on '08. He'd better hope this team is going to improve.

I actually like Schneider. I liked LoDuca as well.

I think Schneider gives you grit and is a gamer. is he this big offensive threat, no he isn't. but neither was LoDuca. What LoDuca did give you was quality at bats, and the club will miss this. I can't speak to the piutcher's relationships with LoDuca and where that may hurt or help. But I do know Schneider to be a professional.

LoDuca also gives the Mets lineup one thing that Schneider can't do; a solid #2 hitter. Loduca is an excellent type of hitter to bat behind Reyes. Now, I am not sure where the Mets go with this one. I actually thought that Lastings would be the replacement, but he is also gone.

Correct on that. I personally am not a big Castillo fan, but I should not have forgotten about him.

He can protect Reyes and is not afraid to take a few pitches and hit with two strikes. He also handles the bat well.

Is he the player of three years ago, of course not. But to sldie into the number 2 hole, and the defense you get out of him, you could do worse.

Loduca is an overrated hot head. tired of hearing he was a "spark plug" he always played hurt, which I respected him for, but he ran his mouth alot and never took any blame when he screwed up.

not much of a difference to me between he and schneider. only good thing to me is Castro will get a little more playing time against lefty pitchers.

If you watched the Mets this past year any Met fan will tell you he killed a lot of potential rallies-he was really lacking in clutch situations this year. I liked his fire but performance is what counts also.

Loduca is an overrated hot head. tired of hearing he was a "spark plug" he always played hurt, which I respected him for, but he ran his mouth alot and never took any blame when he screwed up.

not much of a difference to me between he and schneider. only good thing to me is Castro will get a little more playing time against lefty pitchers.

I agree with you, but if we figure schneider=loduca that would mean we traded Milledge for Church. And that would mean Omar is an idiot.

Why do the Mets tease me with their futile toyings with glory, which are superceded by the fire sales, unbalanced trades, trading youth for old age, and their apparent lack of a pair of testes. Maye they have them, but they just never dropped, but, until Omar Papaya makes a big POSITIVE deal, they will not win the NL East. This team is regressing, back into typical Met form. Where is my prescription for cyanide?

Archived