Billick does not think he wil be fired

faba

Billick: 'I'm going to be back'

He thinks he'll be coach in 2008; no word from Ravens

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter December 11, 2007 817-grey.gif football;ptype=s;slug=bal-spbillick11dec11;rg=ur;ref=theredzoneorg;pos=1;sz=88x31;tile=2;ord=5949580?

Brian Billick reaffirmed at yesterday's news conference that he thinks he will return as the Ravens' coach next season.

"I'm going to be back," he said when addressing the future of the team. "Now, once the season's over, we'll see what happens with regards to [the players]

Billick's job status has been a hot topic during the franchise-record seven-game losing streak.

He said two weeks ago that he was "confident" about coming back as coach, pointing out that Bisciotti is committed to keeping continuity. But he made his most definitive statement about staying as coach yesterday.

The Ravens gave a strong vote of confidence to Billick after he guided them to a 13-3 record last season, announcing that they signed him to a new four-year contract that is believed to be worth $5 million a year.

But there have been questions about his job security as the Ravens endure their worst season under Billick. The Ravens (4-9) are last in the AFC North and guaranteed of their second losing season in three years.

When explaining the Ravens' struggles, Billick has pointed to injuries, turnovers and penalties.

He also said the Ravens seem intent on bringing back the core of this team next season. Because of the small number of pending free agents - linebacker Terrell Suggs is the most notable - Billick said there won't be much change in 2008.

"For the most part, a majority of these guys will be back, and that's a positive because there's a sense of 'Let's do something now that's going to affect next year,' " Billick said. "So that's something we're going to work on going forward. That's what we have to hold on to."

interesting, I think Mangini will have at least one more year to turn things around. Unless Cower or some other high profile coach becomes available. And even then I doubt it.

There is no way Mangini is fired. It takes time to rebuild in the NFL a new head coach every two years isn't going to help.

If he loses to the fins this week, he could find himself with one foot out the door. Let's go Ravens!

I think it will be the whole body out the door. Nobody wants to be the one that loses

to the Fins. The embarasment will be too much to let it not factor in to his status.

But I think the Ravens players will rise to the occasion and knock them off.

Archived