Sox bullpen exposed

Smizzy

Embarrassing: Sox bullpen exposedBy Jeff Horrigan

Friday, July 1, 2005

The numbers are embarrassing.

Even though the Red Sox [stats, schedule] have one of the most experienced bullpens in the major leagues, they enter this weekend's series vs. the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park ranked dead last among baseball's 30 teams in the percentage of inherited runners permitted to score.

Through the first three months of the season, Sox relievers have allowed an astounding 43.5 percent of inherited runners (40-of-92) to score, numbers worse than those of the Arizona Diamondbacks (40.8 percent), Kansas City Royals (40.3) and Colorado Rockies (39.6).

By comparison, Los Angeles Angels relievers entered yesterday having allowed only 10-of-63 inherited runners to cross the plate (15.9), followed by the New York Mets bullpen at 24.5 percent (24-of-98).

``Our ERA's up there, too,'' manager Terry Francona said of the Sox' 4.72 bullpen ERA. ``Believe me, we're trying to watch so we have the right guy in at the right time, so that number can go down.''

What is most disturbing about the high percentage of inherited runners that score is the fact that Francona has a bullpen comprised entirely of veterans. The Diamondbacks, Royals and Rockies can at least fall back on the inexperience excuse.

``I talked to (Mike) Timlin about it,'' Sox set-up man Matt Mantei [stats, news] said of his bullpen mate. ``It's a matter of guys doing a better job getting outs when there's other people's runners on base. We've all been (vulnerable) this year. And it's not because we're walking guys. It's because we're giving up base hits. It's something we've got to work on, especially in big ball games, when there's two guys on and it's a two-run ball game. We've got to get the outs.''

Through 77 games, the only Sox reliever doing a stellar job of preventing inherited runners from scoring has been Mike Myers. The left-hander, whose importance to the team becomes magnified with each successive appearance, has permitted only 4-of-22 (18 percent) to score. The next most effective is Alan Embree [stats, news], who has permitted 8-of-21 (38 percent) to cross the plate.

Beleaguered closer Keith Foulke [stats, news] has only entered games with five inherited runners but he's allowed two (40 percent) to score.

It only gets worse from there. Mantei has permitted 6-of-12 (50 percent) inherited runners to score, while Timlin is at 9-of-15 (60 percent), followed by John Halama [stats, news] at 7-of-10 (70 percent).

Another difficulty for the bullpen has been allowing the first batters faced to reach base, which greatly improves the odds of scoring. Overall, the first batters faced by Sox relievers have an on-base percentage of .367. Once again, Myers (.276 on-base percentage against) and Embree (.294) have been the most effective, followed by Foulke (.314), Timlin (.379), Halama (.417) and Mantei (.424).

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution, other than improved execution of pitches.

``All of us have taken a lot of pride in our careers that when one guy's struggling, he knows the guy coming in behind him is going to pick him up and, no matter what kind of mess you're in, we're going to get out of it,'' Embree said. ``It's one thing that we have to work on in the second half. We have to find a way to make it work. We have to make the pitches and instead of giving up the sac fly, you have to get the groundball and pitch to the defense.''

Embarrassing: Sox bullpen exposedBy Jeff Horrigan

Friday, July 1, 2005

The numbers are embarrassing.

Even though the Red Sox [stats, schedule] have one of the most experienced bullpens in the major leagues, they enter this weekend's series vs. the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park ranked dead last among baseball's 30 teams in the percentage of inherited runners permitted to score.

Through the first three months of the season, Sox relievers have allowed an astounding 43.5 percent of inherited runners (40-of-92) to score, numbers worse than those of the Arizona Diamondbacks (40.8 percent), Kansas City Royals (40.3) and Colorado Rockies (39.6).

By comparison, Los Angeles Angels relievers entered yesterday having allowed only 10-of-63 inherited runners to cross the plate (15.9), followed by the New York Mets bullpen at 24.5 percent (24-of-98).

``Our ERA's up there, too,'' manager Terry Francona said of the Sox' 4.72 bullpen ERA. ``Believe me, we're trying to watch so we have the right guy in at the right time, so that number can go down.''

What is most disturbing about the high percentage of inherited runners that score is the fact that Francona has a bullpen comprised entirely of veterans. The Diamondbacks, Royals and Rockies can at least fall back on the inexperience excuse.

``I talked to (Mike) Timlin about it,'' Sox set-up man Matt Mantei [stats, news] said of his bullpen mate. ``It's a matter of guys doing a better job getting outs when there's other people's runners on base. We've all been (vulnerable) this year. And it's not because we're walking guys. It's because we're giving up base hits. It's something we've got to work on, especially in big ball games, when there's two guys on and it's a two-run ball game. We've got to get the outs.''

Through 77 games, the only Sox reliever doing a stellar job of preventing inherited runners from scoring has been Mike Myers. The left-hander, whose importance to the team becomes magnified with each successive appearance, has permitted only 4-of-22 (18 percent) to score. The next most effective is Alan Embree [stats, news], who has permitted 8-of-21 (38 percent) to cross the plate.

Beleaguered closer Keith Foulke [stats, news] has only entered games with five inherited runners but he's allowed two (40 percent) to score.

It only gets worse from there. Mantei has permitted 6-of-12 (50 percent) inherited runners to score, while Timlin is at 9-of-15 (60 percent), followed by John Halama [stats, news] at 7-of-10 (70 percent).

Another difficulty for the bullpen has been allowing the first batters faced to reach base, which greatly improves the odds of scoring. Overall, the first batters faced by Sox relievers have an on-base percentage of .367. Once again, Myers (.276 on-base percentage against) and Embree (.294) have been the most effective, followed by Foulke (.314), Timlin (.379), Halama (.417) and Mantei (.424).

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution, other than improved execution of pitches.

``All of us have taken a lot of pride in our careers that when one guy's struggling, he knows the guy coming in behind him is going to pick him up and, no matter what kind of mess you're in, we're going to get out of it,'' Embree said. ``It's one thing that we have to work on in the second half. We have to find a way to make it work. We have to make the pitches and instead of giving up the sac fly, you have to get the groundball and pitch to the defense.''

Wait, some here said Mariano was done? [-X

Probably you King of all Bandwagon jumping fans.

The Sox would lead the East by at least 10 games if not for the bullpen. Sadly, it is what it is....bad.

Wait, some here said Mariano was done? [-X

Probably you King of all Bandwagon jumping fans.

The Sox would lead the East by at least 10 games if not for the bullpen. Sadly, it is what it is....bad.

If they don't get it fixed they won't have a chance in the playoffs, not a chance.

True.

I think Foulke is slowly working things out. His ERA was 7.62 in Early may and was down to 5.05 before his flameout against the Indians.

I am more concerned with the disaster known as his set-up men.

Foulke had actually dropped his ERA from 7.29

If they don't get it fixed they won't have a chance in the playoffs, not a chance.

True.

I think Foulke is slowly working things out. His ERA was 7.62 in Early may and was down to 5.05 before his flameout against the Indians.

I am more concerned with the disaster known as his set-up men.

Foulke had actually dropped his ERA from 7.29

I wouldnt cry a river if Embree and Mantei were designated for assignment as early as today! The assignment I'd give them: LEARN HOW TO PITCH!!!

Notice I didnt include the ultra-sucky John Halamalamalama, somebody has to pitch mop-up duty in blowouts.

By the way, EB...why cant we survive the playoffs with a sucky bullpen? The scrubs currently killing us wouldnt see the light of day in a tight game...I'd have Schilling close out games he doesnt start and Clement pitch long relief when he isnt pitching. Ditto for Wakefield and Arroyo. We'll all just be praying the good postseason David Wells shows up...not the one who quit agaisnt Florida for the gutless '03 Yankee team. I wouldnt care if Clement and Big Schill take turns starting every 3 days!

I wouldnt cry a river if Embree and Mantei were designated for assignment as early as today! The assignment I'd give them: LEARN HOW TO PITCH!!!

Notice I didnt include the ultra-sucky John Halamalamalama, somebody has to pitch mop-up duty in blowouts.

By the way, EB...why cant we survive the playoffs with a sucky bullpen? The scrubs currently killing us wouldnt see the light of day in a tight game...I'd have Schilling close out games he doesnt start and Clement pitch long relief when he isnt pitching. Ditto for Wakefield and Arroyo. We'll all just be praying the good postseason David Wells shows up...not the one who quit agaisnt Florida for the gutless '03 Yankee team. I wouldnt care if Clement and Big Schill take turns starting every 3 days!

Thats ridiculous. Their arms would be shot if they'd be lucky to make it outa the first round of the playoffs. Schilling would start a game and then help in relief for other games?? It could work out but that won't work forever, and its not proven so who really knows. Wakefield has done it before, I think Aaron Boone says hello there. Last year wakes helped out in the blowout tho. Clement is a choker.

Thats ridiculous. Their arms would be shot if they'd be lucky to make it outa the first round of the playoffs. Schilling would start a game and then help in relief for other games?? It could work out but that won't work forever, and its not proven so who really knows. Wakefield has done it before, I think Aaron Boone says hello there. Last year wakes helped out in the blowout tho. Clement is a choker.

Archived