Gameday NEWS ARTICLES Jets v Titans

Kentucky Jet

Laveranues Coles, Chad Pennington may be finished with Jets

By RICH CIMINI NY Daily News

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, December 23rd 2007, 4:00 AM

Laveranues Coles (l.) and Chad Pennington have endured a rough season ...

... as Pennington (an ankle injury and benching) and Coles (multiple injuries) have both been on and off the sidelines this season.

NASHVILLE - They came in together as rookies and grew up together in the Jets' offense. Now there's a chance that Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles, close friends, could be leaving together.

If that's how it turns out in the offseason, this weekend could be remembered as the end of the Pennington-Coles era.

Saturday, the Jets placed Coles on injured reserve, shutting him down with a month-old, high-ankle sprain that limited him to one play last week. Sunday, Pennington could make his farewell appearance for the Jets.

With Kellen Clemens (rib, left shoulder) banged up, Pennington is expected to start against the Titans - his first start since Oct. 28. Eric Mangini is on record as saying that Clemens remains No. 1 on the depth chart, meaning Pennington will go back to the bench for the season finale if Clemens is healthy.

Pennington's future became an issue the moment he was benched. Even though Pennington is under contract through 2011, it's unlikely he will be back. Publicly, Coles' future never has been a question, but there's a growing belief that his return no longer is a slam dunk. Coles' well-documented dislike for Mangini's rigid and demanding program may prompt the talented wide receiver to request a trade. Coles, who turns 30 on Saturday, believes Mangini's style could take years off his career. At the very least, Coles will take some time in the offseason to consider his options.

That Pennington appears to be on the way out also could fuel Coles' desire to play elsewhere. Coles offered a cryptic response the other day when asked if he sensed this would be his final season with Pennington.

"Chad and I love playing together," he said. "It's not just the football, it's (the chance) to see each other every day because we're good friends. That's the most important thing. We'll let things play themselves out and see how it goes."

Coles' contract also could become an issue. He's signed through 2009, and is due to make $5 million in 2008. The Jets may want him to renegotiate, which could get sticky.

Mangini has a high regard for Coles, widely considered the toughest player on the team. In recent weeks, Coles played in severe pain, risking further injury. He said he spent more time in the trainer's room this year than in his seven previous seasons combined. Before being placed on IR, he expressed concern over whether the club had his best interests at heart.

"You always hope for the best, but you can't ever say so," Coles said.

Coles is no stranger to sour goodbyes. He criticized the Jets, mainly then-coach Herm Edwards, for allowing him to bolt to the Redskins in 2003 as a free agent. After two seasons in Washington, there was a public spat with ownership, resulting in his trade back to the Jets.

The reason he wanted to return was to reunite with Pennington, who was so excited that he offered to take a pay cut to create cap room and help facilitate the trade talks.

"If anything, Chad has made my career," said Coles, who finished with 55 catches and 646 yards in 12 games, career lows as a starter. "My best years have come with Chad at the helm and him throwing me the ball."

Not coincidentally, they enjoyed their best seasons in 2002, when an unproven Pennington came off the bench and found instant chemistry with Coles. After a three-year separation (Pennington was injured for most of 2005), they rekindled the magic last season and led the Jets to the playoffs.

Now Coles is done for 2007, and Pennington could be after today.

"I don't know what the organization's stance is, and I'm not really concerned about it," Pennington said. "I know whatever happens, something good will happen for me."

Said Coles: "I'm glad he's getting a chance to go out there . . . and have fun and do what he loves. I know it was tough for him, standing on the sideline."

If Pennington doesn't throw a touchdown pass Sunday, and never plays again for the Jets, the record book will show that his last two scoring throws went to Coles, Oct. 21 in Cincinnati.

KICKING IN: To fills' Coles roster spot, the Jets signed punter Jeremy Kapinos

PLAYBOOK

BY HANK GOLA

Jets at Titans at LP FIELD, 4:15 p.m.

The Line: Titans by 8.5

TV: Ch. 2 (Dick Enberg, Randy Cross)

Radio: WEPN 1050-AM, WABC 770AM (Bob Wischusen, Marty Lyons). In Spanish on WADO 1280-AM (Clemson Smith-Muniz, Gerardo Quirama).

Forecast: Sunny, mid 40s with 15 mph winds.

Injury Impact

Chad Pennington starts for Kellen Clemens (rib, shoulder) at QB, uncertain of his long-term future with the Jets. WR Laveranues Coles (high ankle sprain) will miss the rest of the season after being placed on injured reserve. Titans MLB Ryan Fowler was put on IR after injuring his shoulder in Kansas City and is replaced by the less physical but quicker Stephen Tulloch. LBs Keith Bulluck and David Thornton are nursing knee injuries while DT Albert Haynesworth is still battling a hamstring injury. RB LenDale White (knee) and C Kevin Mawae (calf) are also banged up.

Feature Matchup

LGs Adrien Clarke/Will Montgomery and LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson vs. DT Albert Haynesworth: The Titans' fast, aggressive front has allowed fewer than 100 rushing yards per game, largely because of Haynesworth's presence inside, where he fights through most blockers. The Titans also like to flip him outside with Kyle Vanden Bosch in certain pass rush situations, where he can use his strength to overpower Ferguson. Clarke and Montgomery have been sharing the position lately. Clarke gave up the sack that resulted in Clemens' injury on the hit by Richard Seymour. NT Dwayne Robertson vs. C Kevin Mawae: The Titans will pound the undersized Jets with the physical White so this matchup must really must trouble Gang Green. Robertson has struggled to hold the point against most centers, let alone someone of Mawae's ability. The ex-Jet is the senior statesman on a young line but he continues to play at a high level and is still great in space leading the blocking. LB David Harris has been very impressive reacting to the run for the Jets but he could struggle if Mawae is allowed to get to him.

Scout Says

"Vince Young had his most impressive performance of the season last week but he'll have to show very good awareness against all the personnel groupings that (defensive coordinator) Bob Sutton will throw at him. You had to like what the Jets were able to do against Tom Brady. Of course, the advantage shifts to Young and his play-action passing game if the Titans can run it and they should. One interesting note is that the Titans have faced only one 3-4 defense all year - San Diego - and had some problems with it. The Titans are an attacking defense, including the corners and that can benefit a smart quarterback like Chad Pennington. The Titans need to improve their third-down defense and the Jets need to start converting on a few third downs."

Intangibles

Will the Jets avoid a SpyGate letdown? After playing the Patriots tough last week, the Jets can have a say in the AFC playoff race if they remain focused. The Titans can still finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs so a loss today would doom their season and they haven't had success of late vs. the Jets, including an opening day loss last year. Jeff Fisher keeps reminding his team they lost a playoff spot last year with a late-season loss to the then-beatable Pats and the only thing they have control over is their own games.

Numbers Gain: The number of plays the Titans' defense has made behind the line of scrimmage - 32 sacks and 42 tackles for loss. This is a huge challenge for the Jets' O-line.

Prediction

TITANS, 20-10. They need it more.

Mike Tannenbaum, Bill Parcells now on opposite sides

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, December 23rd 2007, 4:00 AM

NASHVILLE - Mike Tannenbaum still remembers the first time he met Bill Parcells. He was only 28 when he flew to New York for a job interview with the larger-than-life coach.

He was still looking for his first big break in the business.

Upon entering Parcells' office at the Jets' headquarters, which felt like a behind-the-curtain meeting with the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful Oz, Tannenbaum's eyes fixed on the coach's golf sweater. As a law-school graduate, he was intrigued by the name of the country club - Due Process, located in New Jersey.

"He told me he wore it just for me," said Tannenbaum, recalling his first exposure to Parcells' sarcastic wit.

They hit it off, and the most important professional relationship in Tannenbaum's career was born. They worked side-by-side from 1997 to 2000 and have remained extremely close. Parcells has been a consigliere to Tannenbaum, the Jets' general manager, but the dynamic will change now that Parcells is the Dolphins' new vice president.

No longer will Tannenbaum be able to call Parcells to pick his brain about certain players. No longer will they be able to share league gossip. Those days are over. Parcells is leaving the TV studio and heading to a division rival, and that means they will be in direct competition 365 days a year, not just on autumn Sundays.

"Personally, I expect our relationship to remain the same. Professionally, it's certainly going to be different now," said Tannenbaum, who usually talks to Parcells about three times a week, discussing everything from agents to players to Parcells' favorite horses at Saratoga. "But that's pro football; it's a highly competitive environment. I don't expect the same conversations to take place anymore."

The Eric Mangini-Bill Belichick rift is a prime example of how a friendship can be fractured by a division rivalry. The Jets-Patriots blood feud also has strained the ties between Tannenbaum and Patriots VP Scott Pioli, close friends when they worked under Parcells. Things are so cool that Tannenbaum declined to comment on their current relationship, saying, "I respect what they've done in New England, and I'll leave it at that."

Parcells' rapport with the Jets probably won't deteriorate like that because of the mutual respect he shares with Tannenbaum and Mangini, a low-level assistant on Parcells' staff from 1997 to 1999. But the competition between the two teams will be intense.

The Jets and Dolphins are the bottom feeders in the AFC East, two teams with similar needs (both probably will be in the market for a veteran quarterback) and similar draft positions. Parcells will have the No. 1 overall pick in next April's draft and the Jets (3-11), who face the Titans today, won't be far behind. The Patriots also will have a high pick - they own the 49ers' first-round choice - which means there will be enough pre-draft intrigue to fill a spy novel. The paranoia levels will reach all-time highs.

HAYNESWORTH TOUGH TEST FOR INCONSISTENT CLARKE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 23, 2007 -- NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Offensive linemen aren't accustomed to attention. They generally live their lives in anonymity while the so-called skill-position players have the spotlight shining on them.

In the case of Adrian Clarke, the Jets left guard, unwanted attention came with his first opportunity to be a full-time NFL starter, thanks to the controversial departure of Pete Kendall in training camp.

Kendall, a highly popular figure in the Jets locker room, was unceremoniously traded away by the Jets before the season, putting Clarke in the spotlight.

Clarke's play, lowlighted by last week's missed block on Patriots defensive tackle Richard Seymour that led to Kellen Clemens being knocked out of the game, has been inconsistent and even led to a platoon with Will Montgomery.

Many believe the Jets decision to trade Kendall and break up the continuity of the line was the first step toward this lost season.

"It's easy to walk into a situation like this and see it as a distraction," Clarke said of taking over for Kendall. "But I can honestly say that, no, I've never been in a situation like this. I've tried to not think about it. I don't ever want anyone to compare me to anyone else. I just want to be able to go out and do my job, and go from there."

Easier said than done, because talk of the Kendall trade never seems to go away.

"Pete's a great guy," Clarke said. "He was deeply missed [when he was traded] as I see it. Any questions I had, he said, 'Feel free to come ask me.' A lot of things I didn't know about the game, he was willing to lend a helping hand with those things."

Today, Clarke will need to summon all he can from Kendall's advice, because he will be facing Titans DT Albert Haynesworth, one of the best in the game. Haynesworth has six sacks and is an aggressive in the run game.

"I think by far he's one of the best," Jets right guard Brandon Moore said of Haynesworth. "We haven't faced someone like him all year. Every time you turn on the film, you see him disrupting plays."

Former Jets center Kevin Mawae, now a teammate of Haynesworth, said, "He can probably be the best defensive lineman in this league when he decides to play, and I think he's done that this year ... When he's healthy, you can't stop him."

n

Today's game will feature a receiver named Chris Davis on both sidelines.

The Titans' Davis, a fourth-round draft pick last April, has five catches for 38 yards. The Jets' Davis, who played in the Canadian Football League, has one catch for three yards.

Both are close friends, having grown up together in St. Petersburg, Fla., and speak regularly.

The Jets yesterday placed WR Laveranues Coles on IR and moved P Jeremy Kapinos to the active roster ... Titans have lost four of their last six games ... Jets have scored just 19 offensive touchdowns this season. The Bills and Falcons (17 each) have scored fewer.

AUDITION GAME FOR CHAD

December 23, 2007 -- CONSIDERING his 32 regular-season wins in 60 starts, a 41-0 playoff win over Peyton Manning, and the highest completion percentage (.653) of any quarterback in NFL history, Chad Pennington's next job shouldn't be dependent on what he might do in Tennessee today or against the Chiefs next Sunday.

"I think [considering] the last eight years, people understand who I am and what I am capable of doing," he said.

Then again, after losing a starting job following playoff appearances (and one victory) in his past two fully healthy seasons, Pennington doesn't have to be reminded you absolutely are as good as your last game. In a what-have-you-done-lately league, an impressive finish undoubtedly will impress a second, third, or fourth team. It's just that none of them likely will be the Jets.

Pennington is better than at least 10 and maybe as many as 20 current starting NFL quarterbacks, including a healthy Kellen Clemens, at least at this stage. But having made a popular change, and facing substantial rebuilding, the Jets aren't using up $7.8 million in cap room on a backup quarterback. Exemplary as Pennington's attitude has been since his demotion, he will have no interest in taking a pay cut to hold a clipboard when there will be a market for him to start.

"I could give a rah-rah speech how I want to be a Jet, but I don't have the ultimate decision on that," he said. "I may have influence on it but I can't control that."

The ship has sailed, a shame because as many as three panes of this eight-paned window into a Jets' future with Clemens may be cracked, just as could be one of his ribs. From what the media was allowed to see, he looked better in practice on Thursday than on Wednesday. But starting Clemens today would've been a bad idea. Unfortunately for the Jets, it leaves them with less of an idea about how to go forward at the game's most important position.

If they are convinced Matt Ryan is a franchise quarterback, then, never mind their recent second-round investment in Clemens, they must take the Boston College senior, irrespective of any fascination with running back Darren McFadden or screaming need for a front-seven defensive difference maker like potentially, Virginia's Chris Long.

But remembering that the Jets passed on Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler to take D'Brickashaw Ferguson fourth overall in 2006, and recalling GM Mike Tannenbaum's explanation that as many winning quarterbacks are taken later than sooner, don't count on him drafting Ryan.

The Jets probably will take a quarterback later and will almost certainly sign a veteran backup as both motivation for Clemens and protection for Eric Mangini's and Tannenbaum's butts heading into a third-year critical year for the regime.

But that veteran will not be nearly as good as Pennington, which is the collateral damage of having used him as scapegoat for a 1-6 start that occurred for a lot more reasons than the quarterback.

The Jets' offensive wall remains average at best, even with two bricks, Ferguson and Nick Mangold installed. Only since midseason has their defense sometimes shortened the field for the offense. Pennington's diminished arm strength following surgeries was a valid consideration going forward, for sure. But his aptitude for the brainiest position in sports got thrown out with the bath water.

Evidence of this is being found in Clemens' 4-to-10 touchdown pass-to-interceptions ratio, 52-percent completion percentage, 59.0 passer rating and 2-5 record in his first seven starts. Pennington's ratio is 9-to-7, his completion percentage 67.1, his passer rating 85.8. Any argument that the bottom line was 1-6 at the time he was pulled is being made in a vacuum.

But even if it turns out that his absence has made fonder the hearts of fans who booed him off the field, practicality sends a 31-year-old quarterback for a three-to-five-win team on his merry way.

That's a shame because the Jets failed Pennington a lot more than he failed them.

jay.greenberg@nypost.com

JETS SHOOT FOR TITAN-IC UPSET

GANG GREEN CAN PLAY SPOILER

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 23, 2007 -- NASHVILLE, Tenn. - While speaking to reporters on a conference call Wednesday, Titans head coach Jeff Fisher called the Jets "the best 3-11 team that I've ever seen."

Was Fisher being sincere or was this a classic case of coachspeak in an attempt to butter the Jets up before they play his 8-6 Titans today at LP Field?

Jets safety Jerry Rhodes said he believes Fisher was trying to keep his team's attention for a game in which the Titans are better than a touchdown-favorite to win.

"They've got something to play for," Rhodes said. "They have a chance to move on [to the playoffs], so [Fisher is] trying to talk us up as much he can and not let them have a letdown."

Indeed, the Jets, coming off a competitive loss to the Patriots last week in what many could view as their Super Bowl, have lost a number of close games this season.

"They've had a very difficult schedule with New England twice and Dallas, but they have played some good teams very close," Fisher said. "They haven't gotten the breaks. I've been very impressed with them, not only their effort last weekend [against the Patriots], but a lot of games in which they've played."

Here's an inside look at how the game will unfold:

BEST BATTLE

It might not be best for the Jets, but Jets LG Adrien Clarke vs. Titans DT Albert Haynesworth is a matchup to watch. Clarke, remember, was beaten last Sunday by New England's Richard Seymour, who knocked Kellen Clemens out of the game. Haynesworth, who has six sacks, is an aggressive, penetrating lineman who will be difficult for Clarke to handle.

GIVETH AND TAKETH AWAY

The Titans are tied for second in the NFL with 20 interceptions and just two teams in the league have forced more turnovers than the 31 they have. Nevertheless, just seven teams have turned the ball over more than the 30 times they have given it away. This is an area the Jets hope to exploit because they have lost just six fumbles compared with the 14 the Titans have lost. Look for Jets S Kerry Rhodes, who has five interceptions, and CB Darrelle Revis, who has three INTs, to force a turnover or two. For all the good Titans' QB Vince Young does, he has thrown 16 interceptions to nine touchdowns.

WHAT'S THE RUSH?

It could be another tough-sledding day for Thomas Jones and the Jets' 19th-ranked rushing attack against the Titans' seventh-ranked rushing defense. On the flip side, the Jets rushing defense is ranked 30th in the NFL, and the Titans' rushing offense, led by LenDale White's 960 yards and seven touchdowns, is ranked fourth. This is a potentially problematic matchup for the Jets.

I SPY

Speaking of rushing offense, Young must be contained or he will kill the Jets with his scrambling ability. Young has 375 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns. Look for the Jets to employ a spy assigned to Young (possibly LB Victor Hobson) to shadow his every move and keep him contained when he scrambles from the pocket.

PASSING FANCY

The Jets best chance to win this game is to stop the Titans' running attack and make Young beat them with the pass. In the five games since the Jets' bye week, they are ranked No. 1 in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 158 pass yards per game. Overall, in fact, since the bye week, the Jets are allowing 279.2 yards per game, fifth-best in the NFL.

BAKER'S COOKIN'

Look for Jets TE Chris Baker to have another big game today. Baker, who has career-high 37 catches this season, is coming off an eight-catch performance last week.

"Chris has done a really good job and each year he gets better," coach Eric Mangini said. "His routes have become that much crisper and he's got very good hands."

Mangini even praised Baker for the great catch he made against the Browns at the end of the game last season in Cleveland, though it was ruled that Baker was out of bounds instead of being forced out.

HERE'S THE KICKER

The Titans' strength on special teams is their kicking game. Veteran Craig Hentrich is one of the game's best directional punters, and Rob Bironas is going to the Pro Bowl, thanks to his NFL-leading 31 field goals in 35 attempts and 119 points. Bironas kicked a league-record eight field goals in one game against the Texans earlier this season.

CANNIZZARO'S CALL

JETS - 21

TITANS - 20

This one will be close, because the Jets defense is playing pretty well. Pennington, who's expected to start at QB, played a great game against the Titans last year. It's about time the Jets won a close game, isn't it?

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Coles placed on IR; Jets career could be over

TOM ROCK

December 23, 2007

Laveranues Coles' season - and perhaps his career with the Jets - came to an end yesterday when the receiver was placed on injured reserve. Coles, who will turn 30 next week, had played for almost a month despite a high ankle sprain. Last week, after having a portable trainer's table collapse on his already ailing ankle, he could manage only one play against the Patriots.

Coles had 55 catches for 646 yards and a team-high six touchdowns this year. He also was a team captain and won the team's Ed Block Courage Award for playing through the injury and dealing with a concussion earlier in the season.

Coles had said that any determination about whether he continues to play would have to come from the organization. Asked if he thinks the team would have his best interests in mind when making such decisions, Coles said: "I hope so."

As for his future with the Jets, Coles is due to earn $5 million next season and is under contract through 2009. He often has said the main reason he returned to the Jets after signing as a free agent with the Redskins was to play with his friend Chad Pennington. If Pennington isn't with the team in 2008, there's a good chance Coles will seek to be traded.

The Jets signed punter Jeremy Kapinos from their practice squad to fill Coles' roster spot.

Titans' Haynesworth will be handful for Jets

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

December 23, 2007

With the possible exception of the squished quarterback himself, no one felt worse about the hit Richard Seymour put on Kellen Clemens last week than left guard Adrien Clarke. Even as Clemens was helped to the sideline, his front quarterpanel dented from the collision, Clarke knew he would need to talk to Clemens about his missed block.

"When I saw him, I told him 'My bad,'" Clarke said this week. "I apologized, but I feel terrible. There is no other way to put it."

Clarke's whiff on Seymour on the Jets' second snap of the game ended Clemens' day and might have ended his season. But he won't have time to wallow in mea culpas. Instead, he (or whoever plays that left guard position, which has been unsettled since the departure of Pete Kendall) must prepare for Albert Haynesworth when the Jets face the Titans today.

The defensive tackle made headlines by stomping on an opposing player's head last season and has developed into a Pro Bowl player and candidate for Defensive Player of the Year.

The Jets have had trouble on the line of scrimmage all season. They have yielded 44 sacks, more than all but three teams in the NFL. Now they must figure out how to handle one of the most disruptive defensive tackles in the league, a guy who just so happens to line up against what could be considered the Jets' weakest link on the line: left guard.

"It comes with the territory," Clarke said. "You try to prepare yourself the best way that you can, and come game time, you try and put your best foot forward and go from there."

How good is Haynesworth? When Jets right guard Brandon Moore was asked about him, he was quick to point out (with some obvious relief) that Haynesworth generally lines up on the other side of the defense and won't be much of a headache for him.

No, it'll be Clarke's problem. Or the quarterback's. Haynesworth, a 6-6, 320-pound wrecking ball, has six sacks despite missing three games with a hamstring injury. He aggravated the injury last week and was limited to about a dozen plays against the Chiefs on Sunday, but Titans coach Jeff Fisher said he expects Haynesworth to play against the Jets.

"The season I wanted to have this year was one to rewrite the history books on me, so that people would remember me as a good football player, not for what happened last year," Haynesworth said regarding his five-game head-stomping suspension in 2006.

He'll be a highly sought free agent if he does not re-sign with the Titans. He's obviously caught the eye of the Jets' coaching staff this week. Is there a chance he'll catch their bags of money during the offseason?

Probably not. The Jets have enough out-of-place pieces on their defense without shelling out millions for a 4-3 defensive tackle to play in their 3-4 scheme. Plus their devotion to character players likely will preclude those who have been suspended for stepping on the head of another player.

No, for now Haynesworth is a Jets problem, not a solution.

"He's an explosive player for an interior lineman," Eric Mangini said. "You can put on any tape [of a Titans game] and there's those big plays that sometimes you don't see even from the premier defensive linemen in the league."

The Jets just have to hope he doesn't blow up any more of their quarterbacks.

MEET THE ENEMY

LenDale White, RB

He was USC's other guy, the backup to Reggie Bush, and after a slow start to his NFL career, he's closing in on his first 1,000-yard season. He has eerily similar numbers to the Jets' Thomas Jones (960 yards on 265 carries) but he also has seven touchdowns and another 20 receptions. He opened the season as a rather ineffective starter, but since being benched and regaining the job, he's had four 100-yard games, including three straight in October and early November. In the last two games, he's had totals of 113 yards against the Chargers and 93 against the Chiefs.

LOOKING BACK

Jets 23, Titans 16

Sept. 10, 2006

It was less than 16 months ago, but it seems like forever. The rookie coach got his first win, the quarterback had a statement game in his first action since a second shoulder surgery, and the Pro Bowl linebacker had a team-high 12 tackles. Ah, the nostalgia. Chad Pennington had one of the best performances of his career when he threw for 319 yards and two touchdowns in the opening game of Eric Mangini's tenure. After letting the Titans tie the score with 16 fourth-quarter points, Pennington hit Chris Baker for a 12-yard touchdown pass. Jonathan Vilma had those 12 tackles and the Jets had three interceptions, two by Andre Dyson and one by Kerry Rhodes.

LOOKING AHEAD

The Jets close their season with a visit from former coach Herman Edwards and the Chiefs. The game is expected to be a 4:15 p.m. start, not 8:15 p.m. as originally scheduled.

FLASHBACK: Although the Jets have a 15-20-1 regular-season record and an 0-1 mark against the franchise, they are 3-0 since the Oilers moved from Houston and became the Titans.

Jets at Tennessee,

4:15 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050),

WABC (770), WRCN (103.9)

Jets just one obstacle Titans need to overcome

By TERESA M. WALKER

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

(Original publication: December 23, 2007)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Coach Jeff Fisher played fortuneteller a year ago, telling his Titans they would clinch a playoff berth with a victory combined with three other teams losing.

He was right, with one exception: The Tennessee Titans lost the only game they had any control over.

They find themselves in a similar position as 2007 winds down. They need to win their final two games and get help from others, with the easiest being Cleveland losing to Cincinnati today. A Cincinnati win would put the Titans (8-6) back in control for the AFC's final wild-card berth.

And the Titans will know that score before kicking off against the Jets (3-11) today.

"I told them I had the same crystal ball in my office, and I will bring it out next week," Fisher said. "We must find a way to win this game."

The local CBS affiliate here even switched broadcasts for the early game and will be showing that Cleveland-Cincinnati game instead of Indianapolis-Houston. The TVs will be on in the Titans' locker room as they loosen up for their kickoff at 4:15 p.m.

Tennessee center Kevin Mawae has a little experience with what his teammates will face. He was with the Jets when they needed New England to lose, and he said they were excited when they learned the final score.

"We get the score of the Cleveland game and it doesn't turn out what we need, there's still one other scenario that could play out," he said. "We can only control what we can control, and that's what happens (today)."

The Titans have had their chances to control their postseason trip. They ruined a 6-2 start with three straight losses, then blew a 17-3 lead in losing to San Diego in overtime on Dec. 9.

They now have won two straight, including last week's 26-17 victory in frigid Kansas City. But they must prove they can finish off a season with their home finale against the Jets and a visit to Indianapolis.

"We'll see what kind of team we're going to finish off with," said Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck, a Clarkstown North graduate. "I know the word 'resilient' was used a lot early in the year. We need a lot of that to kick in."

Fisher won't let his Titans take the Jets for granted. In case anyone stops studying the Jets after seeing the 3-11 record, the coach has been busy reminding them how dangerous the Jets could be.

He has some good ammunition.

The Jets have lost five games by a touchdown or less this season and are coming off a 20-10 loss at New England, where they held the Patriots to season lows in points, total offense (265) and passing yards (134). They also held Tom Brady without a touchdown pass and picked him off once.

Coach Eric Mangini isn't expecting a hangover for his Jets.

"What we have to do is understand that that's over with, and we can't do anything about it," he said. "We have to move on and focus on the Titans, because if we don't, it's not going to be real pretty."

The Titans are banged-up after two physical games.

But they are averaging 134.6 yards rushing, which is fourth in the NFL, and LenDale White is 40 yards from his first 1,000-yard season. Vince Young is coming off his highest rating this season after throwing for 191 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions.

Young has been studying the Jets, who like to confuse quarterbacks by threatening blitzes. The Jets have allowed 158 yards passing per game since their bye week Nov. 11. Unfortunately, the Jets are giving up 141.1 yards rushing and expect the Titans to try to run all over them.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said they can't ignore the mobile Young.

"He can roll out, flick his wrist and throw the ball 60 yards down the field," Rhodes said. "He's a strong-armed guy, so once he gets out and breaks coverage, you have to stay back in coverage deep."

The big question for the Jets is who starts at quarterback, with Titans Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth optimistic he will start himself.

Kellen Clemens didn't return in New England with sore ribs, and Chad Pennington, the Knoxville native who is 2-0 against the Titans, might start after being benched the past six games.

"This may be a surprise game where I sneak in there and have a chance to play, but not have to deal with a lot of ticket requests because it's a surprise," Pennington said.

E-MAIL ARTICLE | PRINTER-FRIENDLY FORMAT | E-MAIL ALERTS

Jets' Coles put on injured reserve

(Original publication: December 23, 2007)

The Jets placed wide receiver Laveranues Coles on injured reserve yesterday because of an ankle injury that has bothered him for several weeks.

Coles, known throughout his eight-year career for his toughness and ability to play through pain, suffered a high left ankle sprain early in the Jets' 19-16 overtime win against Pittsburgh on Nov. 18. He missed the Jets' game at Dallas four days later, but he returned for their next game, at Miami, where he had five catches for 69 yards.

Coles caught seven passes for 48 yards the following game against Cleveland, but he lasted just one play last week at New England after aggravating his injury the day before in a bizarre incident at the team hotel, where the trainer's table fell on his ankle while he was getting treatment.

Coles finished the season with 55 catches for 646 yards and six touchdowns. Since injuring the ankle more than a month ago, Coles has been limited at practice and noticeably hobbled. With the Jets long out of the playoff picture, some suggested that Coles should sit out the last two games to help the ankle heal and prevent further injury.

Earlier this week, Coles won the team's Ed Block Courage Award and said he would prefer the team make the decision whether to end his season. He also expressed his doubts about whether continuing to play would be beneficial to him and the team in the long run.

Jets decide to put Coles on injured reserve

With or without Jets, Pennington confident

Sunday, December 23, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- An annoyed Chad Pennington suddenly leaped into the third person -- something he has rarely done during his eight-year career with the Jets -- when he heard the question for what seemed like the millionth time.

"Why don't you throw the ball downfield more?"

It has been a legitimate question in the past, but not this time. Last Sunday Pennington was playing for the first time since being benched following a Week 8 loss to Buffalo. He relieved an injured Kellen Clemens in a freezing rain against the Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

"If it's not there, No. 10 (Pennington's jersey number) isn't throwing it down the field, because that's bad football," said Pennington, bristling at his questioner. "You can't just chuck it up in the air and hope on a wing and a prayer.

"Believe me, we've had this discussion a thousand times. I look forward to throwing the ball down the field. I don't enjoy checking the ball down and having guys come up and making tackles for five yards. But if that's what I have to do to keep a drive going, that's what I have to do."

Pennington, who will start today against the Tennessee Titans (8-6) at LP Field, may not have to answer that question much longer, at least not from the media in this area. He's likely making his last start as a Jet today. Clemens, who is nursing a left shoulder/rib injury and is the heir apparent despite a shaky seven-game stint as a starter, should be well enough to start the finale against the Chiefs next week.

But Pennington, weak arm and all, is hardly a quarterback without options. In fact, he has three.

Pennington, 31, could leave the Jets via a trade, forcing his way out of town by refusing to rework his contract (he's due a $4.8 million base salary and has a $7.8 million cap number in 2008). He could convince the Jets to try to keep him with a lights-out performance today. Or he could decide he wants to stay.

It appears, however, that Pennington has all but plucked down a "For Sale" sign on his front lawn and is poised to relocate his NFL career. He's expected to be in demand this off-season, with the Dolphins, Vikings and Falcons among the interested teams.

"I don't know what the organization's stance is and I'm not really concerned about it to be honest with you," Pennington said last week. "I know whatever happens, something good will happen for me. I'm an optimist and I feel very good about myself as a professional and how I approach my occupation.

"Right now, my total focus is on trying to help us win our fourth game. To me, that's important and it's important to our team. When the off-season comes, we can deal with those matters."

Pennington, who has led the Jets to the playoffs three times in the past five seasons, insists he's an NFL starting quarterback, not an aging veteran ready to finish his career as a clipboard-holder. The two seasons he didn't lead the Jets to the playoffs, 2003 and 2005, were because he missed seven and 13 games, respectively, because of injuries.

"I certainly feel that I'm a starter, absolutely -- no question in my mind," Pennington said. "I can always help someone win. When that time comes, obviously evaluations will be made on both sides."

But the uneven play of Clemens has muddied the waters surrounding Pennington's status. Some felt the Jets sputtering offense would suddenly soar when Clemens took the helm, instead it has continued to flounder.

Clemens, a second-year pro, has thrown four touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season, two which were returned for touchdowns. He has completed just 52 percent of his passes and has a 59 percent passer rating, second-worst in the NFL. He's 2-5 as a starter.

Conversely, Pennington has nine touchdowns and seven interceptions while completing 67.1 percent of his passes. He has an 85.8 percent passer rating but is just 1-6 as a starter.

Pennington says he doesn't know if the Jets want him back and he says he is no way playing for his NFL career over the final two games.

"I certainly hope that eight years is a good enough audition," he said, smiling. "I hope the last two games isn't a quick audition of the last eight years, my work, and the time I've spent here in this organization. I think people understand who I am, what I'm capable of doing and look at it that way."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Jets Sign P Jeremy Kapinos to Active Roster; Place WR Laveranues Coles on Injured Reserve

December 22nd, 2007 by Joe Pietaro

The New York Jets signed punter Jeremy Kapinos to the active roster and placed wide receiver Laveranues Coles on injured reserve. The announcement was made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Kapinos (6-1, 235, Penn State) was signed to the Jets practice squad on November 27. He was originally signed by the Jets as a rookie free agent on July 2 before being waived on August 2. The Springfield, VA native punted at Penn State for four seasons, averaging 41.8 yards per punt with a career long of 78 yards. He was a finalist for the 2006 Ray Guy Award (nation

Jury still out on Clemens

By Gregg Hayim

Posted Dec 21, 2007

Despite what Eric Mangini wants to say publically, it's like that his insertion of Kellen Clemens into the starting lineup was based on reasons aside from winning.

The feeling is that the second half of this season has served as somewhat of an audition for the teams second round draft pick of a year ago. If this is in fact the case, the results have been less than impressive thus far.

Mangini has refused to give a definitive answer as to who will start behind center this Sunday, but the indications are that Chad Pennington will get the nod. Clemens badly injured a rib last weekend and Pennington has seen the majority of snaps during the practice week.

Watching the remaining two games from the sideline is not the best scenario for a quarterback trying to infuse confidence in his coach. Clemens needs all the game action he can get and ending the season on the bench is not a place he would like to be.

"These last few days have been challenging," Clemens said on Wednesday afternoon. "As a quarterback and as a football player, you're always going to have your different bumps and bruises and different things that you're going to have to work through, and that's what myself and quite a few of the guys are doing. Like I said, I'm just trying to finish these last two weeks strong."

Despite being erratic at times, one thing that you can't fault Clemens for is the receiving corps around him. Unfortunately, he has not had the luxury of playing with the teams two best receivers often. Both Jericho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles have been dogged by injuries and even when they have been on the field, they have been far from 100 percent. In their absence, the team has relied heavily on Justin McCareins and Brad Smith to fill the void. Despite tremendous athleticism, Smith is yet to evolve into a polished receiver, and McCareins has been plagued by costly drops at inopportune times.

Although Clemens has shown glimmers of promise, his collective body of work over the past two months has been inconsistent. Most disturbing has been his struggles in recognizing defensive coverages and checking down accordingly; an element of the position that few handle better than his mentor, Chad Pennington.

When Mangini elected to start Clemens, obviously he expected the Oregon product to suffer through the regular rookie mistakes that most young quarterback's go through. However, after seven starts he probably would have liked to have a definitive answer as to whether or not the 24-year-old is the team's quarterback of the future. Unfortunately for Mangini and the Jets, the jury is still out.

With or without Jets, Pennington confident

Sunday, December 23, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- An annoyed Chad Pennington suddenly leaped into the third person -- something he has rarely done during his eight-year career with the Jets -- when he heard the question for what seemed like the millionth time.

"Why don't you throw the ball downfield more?"

It has been a legitimate question in the past, but not this time. Last Sunday Pennington was playing for the first time since being benched following a Week 8 loss to Buffalo. He relieved an injured Kellen Clemens in a freezing rain against the Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

"If it's not there, No. 10 (Pennington's jersey number) isn't throwing it down the field, because that's bad football," said Pennington, bristling at his questioner. "You can't just chuck it up in the air and hope on a wing and a prayer.

"Believe me, we've had this discussion a thousand times. I look forward to throwing the ball down the field. I don't enjoy checking the ball down and having guys come up and making tackles for five yards. But if that's what I have to do to keep a drive going, that's what I have to do."

Pennington, who will start today against the Tennessee Titans (8-6) at LP Field, may not have to answer that question much longer, at least not from the media in this area. He's likely making his last start as a Jet today. Clemens, who is nursing a left shoulder/rib injury and is the heir apparent despite a shaky seven-game stint as a starter, should be well enough to start the finale against the Chiefs next week.

But Pennington, weak arm and all, is hardly a quarterback without options. In fact, he has three.

Pennington, 31, could leave the Jets via a trade, forcing his way out of town by refusing to rework his contract (he's due a $4.8 million base salary and has a $7.8 million cap number in 2008). He could convince the Jets to try to keep him with a lights-out performance today. Or he could decide he wants to stay.

It appears, however, that Pennington has all but plucked down a "For Sale" sign on his front lawn and is poised to relocate his NFL career. He's expected to be in demand this off-season, with the Dolphins, Vikings and Falcons among the interested teams.

"I don't know what the organization's stance is and I'm not really concerned about it to be honest with you," Pennington said last week. "I know whatever happens, something good will happen for me. I'm an optimist and I feel very good about myself as a professional and how I approach my occupation.

"Right now, my total focus is on trying to help us win our fourth game. To me, that's important and it's important to our team. When the off-season comes, we can deal with those matters."

Pennington, who has led the Jets to the playoffs three times in the past five seasons, insists he's an NFL starting quarterback, not an aging veteran ready to finish his career as a clipboard-holder. The two seasons he didn't lead the Jets to the playoffs, 2003 and 2005, were because he missed seven and 13 games, respectively, because of injuries.

"I certainly feel that I'm a starter, absolutely -- no question in my mind," Pennington said. "I can always help someone win. When that time comes, obviously evaluations will be made on both sides."

But the uneven play of Clemens has muddied the waters surrounding Pennington's status. Some felt the Jets sputtering offense would suddenly soar when Clemens took the helm, instead it has continued to flounder.

Clemens, a second-year pro, has thrown four touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season, two which were returned for touchdowns. He has completed just 52 percent of his passes and has a 59 percent passer rating, second-worst in the NFL. He's 2-5 as a starter.

Conversely, Pennington has nine touchdowns and seven interceptions while completing 67.1 percent of his passes. He has an 85.8 percent passer rating but is just 1-6 as a starter.

Pennington says he doesn't know if the Jets want him back and he says he is no way playing for his NFL career over the final two games.

"I certainly hope that eight years is a good enough audition," he said, smiling. "I hope the last two games isn't a quick audition of the last eight years, my work, and the time I've spent here in this organization. I think people understand who I am, what I'm capable of doing and look at it that way."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Good article by hutch. thanks kj!

But that veteran will not be nearly as good as Pennington, which is the collateral damage of having used him as scapegoat for a 1-6 start that occurred for a lot more reasons than the quarterback.

jay.greenberg@nypost.com

I've been a critic of many things Mangini's done this year, but blaming a 1-6 start on Pennington is not one of them. Mangini has NEVER done this. Quite the contrary. Despite weeks of the whole country knowing Chad needed to be benched, Mangini stuck with him. Now comes the insinuation that Mangini has used Pennington as a scapegoat for a 1-6 start???

What a dishonest a-hole.

Why does anyone read the Post for Jets news? It's just a couple of guys (one in particular) who have an axe to grind dating back to Herm's ouster & it re-surfaces with one or the other virtually every week starting with that first, closed training camp.

Archived