Browns also interested in Asante Samuel

Irish Jet

The Boston Herald suggests the Browns could make a play for free agent CB Asante Samuel. The Jets, who pursued Samuel last year, will also be in the mix. Samuel's first defensive coordinator was current Browns head coach Romeo Crennel. Acquiring Samuel would allow Cleveland to move Eric Wright to nickel back.

Source: Boston Herald

Funny how the two teams who have expressed interest both have his former DC's as HC's. I'm not really bothered if we sign him or not, he'd be a huge upgrade but he will seek a lot of coin.

These stories may all be bull****, but if a guys former coordinators are really interested in going after him it usually means he's a hell of a player and not all about the money. No matter what his tattoos say.

Samuels agent already said they want Clemens type money. What was that contract? 80 mil?

Its all about the dead Presidents. Step up and sign him.

So did Trufant's agent. Somebody paid Clements, somebody will pay them. Good luck starting Gay and Hobbs next year. Hope you enjoy trying to win 54-42.

Trufant wont get it. No way. He doesnt have the resume that Samuel has.

Good luck to you starting Revis/whoever and Drob back at NT.

Resume? Neither did Clements. It's only $10M per. Most of the league has $25+M cap room, it's not that much anymore. That's the point.

Some team might be stupid enough to overpay Trufant, but Clements had been to 2 pro bowls,23 INTS and has 5 TD's

Trufant has 0 pro bowls and 9 INTS.

They are no way near the same player. That's the point.

http://www.royalbroughamway.com/2007/09/trufant-wants-clements-money.html

Some team might be stupid enough to overpay Trufant, but Clements had been to 2 pro bowls,23 INTS and has 5 TD's

Trufant has 0 pro bowls and 9 INTS.

They are no way near the same player. That's the point.

http://www.royalbroughamway.com/2007/09/trufant-wants-clements-money.html

Nice little theory, but the "facts" are wrong. AFAIK, Clements had been to one pro bowl. 2004. He got paid for 2007. Trufant started in this year's pro bowl and is looking to get paid this year. Trufant had seven INTs this year and has 16 for his career. Not 9. Clements got that money coming off of two straight years out of the pro bowl and seasons of 2 and 4 INTs. Trufant is coming off a 7 INT pro bowl season. He's also a year younger than Clements was when he got paid.

Besides, my point is that there is a lot of money to throw around now. There hasn't been so much in the past. These guys will get paid. Trufant might not get Clements money, but he'll get a ton of money. So will Samuel. So will whoever the Pats throw out there. At least you should hope so.

Nice little theory, but the "facts" are wrong. AFAIK, Clements had been to one pro bowl. 2004. He got paid for 2007. Trufant started in this year's pro bowl and is looking to get paid this year. Trufant had zero INTs this year and still made the pro bowl so obviously somebody doesn't care about that stat.

Besides, my point is that there is a lot of money to throw around now. There hasn't been so much in the past. These gusy will get paid. Trufant might not get Clements money, but he'll get a ton of money. So will Samuel.

Just because there is a lot of cap space that doesnt qualify Trufant to get Clements money. Sure there are dumb teams that overspend every off season.

Samuel will get more than Trufant because he is a better CB.

Just because there is a lot of cap space that doesnt qualify Trufant to get Clements money. Sure there are dumb teams that overspend every off season.

Samuel will get more than Trufant because he is a better CB.

This whole discussion started because you implied that Samuel wasn't worth Clements money. I think that Samuel is worth my than Trufant. He's worth more than Clements too. I don't think Trufant is any worse than Clements. Maybe they aren't worth Clements contract, but as much or more than Clements the player. At some point you have to step up and spend. I haven't broken down tape on them or anything, but I'd take any of the three on my team. I'd also rather not have any $10M players, but you can't always get what you want.

The market is the market. I don't see Samuel getting much less than Clements did. Trufant will be close behind. I'd prefer that we got OL and pass rush help, but I won't cry if we drop $7-10M on a top corner if that's the market. The other issue with the cap is that it is apparently poised to continue rising, so the space will be there again next year.

Samuels agent already said they want Clemens type money. What was that contract? 80 mil?

Its all about the dead Presidents. Step up and sign him.

Realistically Cements contract was for 6 years 66 million. The last year has a 14 million salary which is easily voidable, it was pretty much tacked on for show.

Archived