More PT for Bowens?

InstantClassic

Anyone feel that Bowens made an impact whenever Mangini decided to use him in 2007?

I thought he was strictly a ST player for sure..but he played very well on defense. Let's hope he sees the field more this year.

I dont think any Jet fans want to see Bowens on the field more, unless its in place of Thomas. But that would mean Thomas sucks again like last year. I think we'd all prefer them obtain a really good OLB to replace Hobson. It'd be nice to have some depth for a change.

A couple people on the site were hoping Bowens would start getting more playing time last season. He's immensely better than what we have now and definitely deserves to play more.

I don't know about 'immensly' better but he certainly looked like an upgrade. Mangini's an idiot for not giving him (or Harris) a shot sooner.

I don't know about 'immensly' better but he certainly looked like an upgrade. Mangini's an idiot for not giving him (or Harris) a shot sooner.

A rookie and a hand in the dirt pass rush DE? It's not surprise that they both took time to get used to their positions. I like Bowens and there is reason to hope he will be decent to good next year, but he looked a little lost in the preseason and early on. Harris hit from the start but he seemed to miss more assigments early. Breaking those two in slowly made sense to me.

A rookie and a hand in the dirt pass rush DE? It's not surprise that they both took time to get used to their positions. I like Bowens and there is reason to hope he will be decent to good next year, but he looked a little lost in the preseason and early on. Harris hit from the start but he seemed to miss more assigments early. Breaking those two in slowly made sense to me.

From the very little I saw of Harris before he was named the starter, he flashed brilliance. Something none of the other LB's including seemed to do.

IIRC one of the reasons Bowens got so little playing time was becasue he was in the doghouse for missing that tackle on Hobbs in week 1.:confused0082:

If that was the reason it was incredibly idiotic of Mangini.

From the very little I saw of Harris before he was named the starter, he flashed brilliance. Something none of the other LB's including seemed to do.

IIRC one of the reasons Bowens got so little playing time was becasue he was in the doghouse for missing that tackle on Hobbs in week 1.:confused0082:

If that was the reason it was incredibly idiotic of Mangini.

I disagree. First of all, plenty of rookies flash brilliance, it doesn't mean they are ready. Harris appeared to miss some assignments early on and was getting more and more playing time as the season wore on, before Vilma went down. The "doghouse" comments on Bowens came mostly from Jetcane and I saw no evidence of him being in the doghouse and plenty of evidence of him looking lost and like he couldn't back up early in the season. You could be right, but your ideas about doghouses are pure conjecture. Just like my opinion that the two weren't ready at the start of the season.

I dont think any Jet fans want to see Bowens on the field more, unless its in place of Thomas. But that would mean Thomas sucks again like last year. I think we'd all prefer them obtain a really good OLB to replace Hobson. It'd be nice to have some depth for a change.

This is one Jets fan that wants to see Bowens on the field more.

he was a good pass rusher when he was with Miami in their 3-4, and he was a good pass rusher when given a chance with the Jets,

I still like Tangini, but one of the things that really baffeled me was how they used both Leon and Bowens.

Why sign the guy as a FA, then not use him?

This is one Jets fan that wants to see Bowens on the field more.

he was a good pass rusher when he was with Miami in their 3-4, and he was a good pass rusher when given a chance with the Jets,

I still like Tangini, but one of the things that really baffeled me was how they used both Leon and Bowens.

Why sign the guy as a FA, then not use him?

Miami played a 4-3 and that is why I think Bowens didn't play much. IMO, he needed to adapt to playing OLB instead of DE.

Last two years he was there they played 60%40% vBowens was used as a pass rusher out of their 3-4 package.

News to me. I knew Capers ran a hybrid, 4-3/3-4, but I never heard Bowens listed as anything but DE. I'm no expert on Bowens, but for the most part, the only time I'd seen him or heard about him was as a pass rusher. Certainly possible he technically lined up at LB, but I never heard about him dropping into coverage. Hard to imagine him getting more time when he never dropped back or handled much more than situational pass rush duty.

I disagree. First of all, plenty of rookies flash brilliance, it doesn't mean they are ready. Harris appeared to miss some assignments early on and was getting more and more playing time as the season wore on, before Vilma went down. The "doghouse" comments on Bowens came mostly from Jetcane and I saw no evidence of him being in the doghouse and plenty of evidence of him looking lost and like he couldn't back up early in the season. You could be right, but your ideas about doghouses are pure conjecture. Just like my opinion that the two weren't ready at the start of the season.

Care to enlighten me on the missed assignments??? Nearly every play I saw him in he was doing a good job. A guy like Revis came in in a much tougher position for rookies to adapt to (CB, LB's can often come in right away) and played very well. That was without a training camp too. Harris had been with the team all through camp and IMO should have been more than ready come week 1.

Also he is more physically suited to this D than any of the other LB's, even if he wasn't quite ready mentally his physical ability would get him out of a lot of trouble. He wa able to shed blocker unlike any of our other LB's and was quite simply brilliant when given the oppurtunity. I really think he should have been starting week 1.

Agree that I could be wrong about him being in the doghouse, not really sure what the story was there.

Care to enlighten me on the missed assignments??? Nearly every play I saw him in he was doing a good job. A guy like Revis came in in a much tougher position for rookies to adapt to (CB, LB's can often come in right away) and played very well. That was without a training camp too. Harris had been with the team all through camp and IMO should have been more than ready come week 1.

Also he is more physically suited to this D than any of the other LB's, even if he wasn't quite ready mentally his physical ability would get him out of a lot of trouble. He wa able to shed blocker unlike any of our other LB's and was quite simply brilliant when given the oppurtunity. I really think he should have been starting week 1.

Agree that I could be wrong about him being in the doghouse, not really sure what the story was there.

You'd have to go back and review the posts from the start of the season. Jetcane certainly mentioned a bunch. I can remember at least three specific plays being mentioned. I concede that most of the early season I spent watching on sopcast, so I don't have any great insight to complimentary players. I'm lucky I could see the ball carrier. I trust Jetcane's judgment on at least a few of these though admittedly he was biased because it was in defense of his boy Vilma.

As you state, Mangini started Revis from day 1. I'm sure he would have liked nothing better than to start Harris right off. I trust that he wasn't quite 100% ready. He also had two quality players in front of him while we have crap at CB besides Revis.

You'd have to go back and review the posts from the start of the season. Jetcane certainly mentioned a bunch. I can remember at least three specific plays being mentioned. I concede that most of the early season I spent watching on sopcast, so I don't have any great insight to complimentary players. I'm lucky I could see the ball carrier. I trust Jetcane's judgment on at least a few of these though admittedly he was biased because it was in defense of his boy Vilma.

As you state, Mangini started Revis from day 1. I'm sure he would have liked nothing better than to start Harris right off. I trust that he wasn't quite 100% ready. He also had two quality players in front of him while we have crap at CB besides Revis.

Jetcane though was pro-Vilma like crazy. He neg repped me for any kind of comment that criticised Vilma and I can remember the comments of his were in a Vilma vs Harris arguement. IMO he was a bit biased, he said he got blocked just as easily as Vilma did and was pushed around in the same way. That never happened.

You say we had two quality starters in front of Harris???

Vilma??? Barton???

Neither one I'd call quality, in a 3-4 both are average at best. Mangini loves something about Vilma and IMO it's hurting the team because he clearly isn't effective in this D. He should have been traded last off-season IMO while he was still very valuable.

Jetcane though was pro-Vilma like crazy. He neg repped me for any kind of comment that criticised Vilma and I can remember the comments of his were in a Vilma vs Harris arguement. IMO he was a bit biased, he said he got blocked just as easily as Vilma did and was pushed around in the same way. That never happened.

You say we had two quality starters in front of Harris???

Vilma??? Barton???

Neither one I'd call quality, in a 3-4 both are average at best. Mangini loves something about Vilma and IMO it's hurting the team because he clearly isn't effective in this D. He should have been traded last off-season IMO while he was still very valuable.

I said 'cane was biased. There was at least one play which resulted in a long run I remember watching on youtube and it certainly looked like Harris blew his assignment. Don't remember him saying Harris got blown off the ball like Vilma, but it's certainly possible he did. Average at best is a quality starter. Vilma and Barton aren't Butkus and LT, but who did Revis have in front of him? Barrett? A dinged Dyson? Hank Poteat?

I said 'cane was biased. There was at least one play which resulted in a long run I remember watching on youtube and it certainly looked like Harris blew his assignment. Don't remember him saying Harris got blown off the ball like Vilma, but it's certainly possible he did. Average at best is a quality starter. Vilma and Barton aren't Butkus and LT, but who did Revis have in front of him? Barrett? A dinged Dyson? Hank Poteat?

Yeah just re-read your post and you did.

There were major problems with that defence in the early weeks and even if he wasn't ready for week 1 he should have been playing by week 4. It was obvious major changes were required on that defence and Harris was talented enough to provide it.

Yeah just re-read your post and you did.

There were major problems with that defence in the early weeks and even if he wasn't ready for week 1 he should have been playing by week 4. It was obvious major changes were required on that defence and Harris was talented enough to provide it.

Harris was getting more and more playing time as the weeks went on. It was only the first couple of weeks he hardly played. IMO, there is no reason he had to start and demote somebody when he is getting plenty of reps in the rotation. "Starting" is more a pride thing, it's playing time we are actually concerned with. In any event, Harris was starting before mid-season.

Harris was getting more and more playing time as the weeks went on. It was only the first couple of weeks he hardly played. IMO, there is no reason he had to start and demote somebody when he is getting plenty of reps in the rotation. "Starting" is more a pride thing, it's playing time we are actually concerned with. In any event, Harris was starting before mid-season.

That D desperately needed a spark, some kind of change up. I really feel that it could have been done sooner.

Hey, if not for Vilma's injury he might never have got his eventual starting oppurtunity.:confused0082:

A couple people on the site were hoping Bowens would start getting more playing time last season. He's immensely better than what we have now and definitely deserves to play more.

Bowens should play third and long. He can get after the QB. If you rush 4, how big does he have to be? I like veteran pass rushers. They make plays at crunch time.

Archived