Jamal Lewis re-signs with the Browns

faba

From PFT. 15M for Lewis over the 1st 3 yrs if you could his 1 yr deal last yr.. Yep, he's MUCH cheaper.

Guaranteed money typically means his signing bonus (plus any other miscellaneous bonuses like a workout bonus) plus his base salary in year one.

Meaning Lewis got a signing bonus of about $5M. He's getting a $1.4M salary this year.

It also means:

- he was cuttable after 2007 (by not re-signing him)

- he is cuttable after 2008 (and they'd eat $3.33M if they do)

Jones?

- $12M in guarantees (I previously read it as $12M signing bonus), which is probably an $11M signing bonus when combined with his year-one salary of $900K. So he must have a roster bonus of another million or so at some point coming up.

- to cut after 2007 we'd have to eat about $8M

- to cut after 2008 we'd have to eat about $6M (assuming this is where the extra RB is)

It's not how much he gets early-on. It's what situation will the team be in if they decide to go in a different direction. Cleveland is in a better situation in that regard.

Further, Cleveland didn't give up the value of an upper 3rd-round pick to get him in the first place.

Oh, and Lewis is frankly just a better RB than Jones.

It was a bad move.

Guaranteed money typically means his signing bonus (plus any other miscellaneous bonuses like a workout bonus) plus his base salary in year one.

Meaning Lewis got a signing bonus of about $5M. He's getting a $1.4M salary this year.

It also means:

- he was cuttable after 2007 (by not re-signing him)

- he is cuttable after 2008 (and they'd eat $3.33M if they do)

Jones?

- $12M in guarantees (I previously read it as $12M signing bonus), which is probably an $11M signing bonus when combined with his year-one salary of $900K. So he must have a roster bonus of another million or so at some point coming up.

- to cut after 2007 we'd have to eat about $8M

- to cut after 2008 we'd have to eat about $6M (assuming this is where the extra RB is)

It's not how much he gets early-on. It's what situation will the team be in if they decide to go in a different direction. Cleveland is in a better situation in that regard.

Further, Cleveland didn't give up the value of an upper 3rd-round pick to get him in the first place.

Oh, and Lewis is frankly just a better RB than Jones.

It was a bad move.

Then where were you saying this a year ago. I know pretty darn well how the cap works but thanks for the lecture.. How somehow Lewis 10M guaranteed is 5/5 and Jones is 11/1 ... hhahah laughable...

Look, it's simple to criticize something after the fact.

Another laughable fact... Lewis > Jones.. not even close.

Then where were you saying this a year ago. I know pretty darn well how the cap works but thanks for the lecture.. How somehow Lewis 10M guaranteed is 5/5 and Jones is 11/1 ... hhahah laughable...

Look, it's simple to criticize something after the fact.

Another laughable fact... Lewis > Jones.. not even close.

I have never liked laying out big bucks for a RB unless we have nothing but cap room to throw around & that's our only hole on the team. Not when we had Martin, not after Martin, and not now.

Jones is the RB. He will probably be the RB in 2009 as well. Giving the $11/1 all up-front instead of $5 with no strings and then another $5 after that provides a team a lot more freedom if it doesn't work out.

I have never liked laying out big bucks for a RB unless we have nothing but cap room to throw around & that's our only hole on the team. Not when we had Martin, not after Martin, and not now.

Jones is the RB. He will probably be the RB in 2009 as well. Giving the $11/1 all up-front instead of $5 with no strings and then another $5 after that provides a team a lot more freedom if it doesn't work out.

You guys keep going back to that but the argument was......

In the LONG RUN, who was cheaper.

Jones.

You guys keep going back to that but the argument was......

In the LONG RUN, who was cheaper.

Jones.

In the long run doesn't matter with older RB's. They frequently don't survive the length of their contracts.

Jones' contract wasn't insane. But it was overpaying & hardly the "steal" that so many others made it out to be at the time.

Some will not accept that this is our RB. This contract we signed him to is the reason why. Because of the short run, not the long run.

I jumped in here in the middle, and frequently don't read the whole thing.

And Jones can't cover a crossing route to boot.

In the long run doesn't matter with older RB's. They frequently don't survive the length of their contracts.

Jones' contract wasn't insane. But it was overpaying & hardly the "steal" that so many others made it out to be at the time.

Some will not accept that this is our RB. This contract we signed him to is the reason why. Because of the short run, not the long run.

I jumped in here in the middle, and frequently don't read the whole thing.

And Jones can't cover a crossing route to boot.

STOP CHANGING THE DAMNED SUBJECT.

It's not an argument of what is better, etc etc.

It was a SIMPLE ARGUMENT. Who was more expensive in the long run.. Lewis.

I heard people post in her "No way he gets 7M guaranteed.." well I guess they were right, he got 10.

STOP CHANGING THE DAMNED SUBJECT.

It's not an argument of what is better, etc etc.

It was a SIMPLE ARGUMENT. Who was more expensive in the long run.. Lewis.

I heard people post in her "No way he gets 7M guaranteed.." well I guess they were right, he got 10.

Enough with your man-crush on me. I'm flattered, but Smizzy will get jealous.

You saw this coming for a while now. Lewis resurrected his career in Cleveland this past season because teams no longer knew Lewis was getting the ball every series on 1st and 2nd down. Baltimore helped ruin his last few years and now he's helping Cleveland reach new heights.

Getting locked up didn't help him either.

:strip1:

Archived