Jamal Lewis re-signs with the Browns

faba

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: February 21, 2008, 3:19 PM ET

As the regular season ended, halfback Jamal Lewis expressed his confidence in being able to re-sign with the Cleveland Browns.

Jamal Lewis

Running Back

Cleveland Browns

2007 Season StatsRushYdsTDRecYdsTD29813049302482

On Thursday afternoon, that optimism was rewarded with a multiyear contract. Lewis agreed in principle to a deal to stay with the Browns more than two years. Terms of the deal, including the length, are not known. A Browns announcement is expected later Thursday afternoon.

A year ago, Lewis left the Baltimore Ravens to sign a one-year, $3.5 million contract with the Browns, who had former Ravens chief scout Phil Savage as their general manager. He had rushed for 3.4 and 3.6 yards a carry in his final two seasons with the Ravens. Lewis re-established himself as one of the best backs in football, rushing for 1,304 yards and scoring nine rushing touchdowns last year.

As the 10-6 season ended, Lewis vowed to be even better in 2008. His plan is to be among the league leaders in rushing. With a multiyear contract behind him, Lewis can worry about moving ahead in the Browns offense and trying to lead the Browns to a playoff berth, which they just missed this season.

Ne because quite simply he's a better RB than Jones and would have costed less.

and the laughable statements just keep on coming! Cost less? (never heard of the word costed) I don't think so. In guaranteed $, sure, but right now Lewis is in for 5M last yr, and you know he made more in his new deal.

and the laughable statements just keep on coming! Cost less? (never heard of the word costed) I don't think so. In guaranteed $, sure, but right now Lewis is in for 5M last yr, and you know he made more in his new deal.

We moved down in the 2nd round to get Jones while Lewis was a FA.

We wouldn't have had to give up anything to get him so in that respect he cost less.

We moved down in the 2nd round to get Jones while Lewis was a FA.

We wouldn't have had to give up anything to get him so in that respect he cost less.

Again, I disagree.. We moved down in the 2nd round.. yippee... We put WAY too much value on draft picks...

Lewis was washed up and done.... or so people thought. To now criticize is not fair. It's easy to see after the fact.

Again, I disagree.. We moved down in the 2nd round.. yippee... We put WAY too much value on draft picks...

Lewis was washed up and done.... or so people thought. To now criticize is not fair. It's easy to see after the fact.

I'm not really criticizing. Just saying with hindsight that I'd rather we had got Lewis instead of Jones.

Moving down in the 2nd is a little more of a hit than you make out. We changed it up with trades but there's a big difference in terms of how much money a player drafted early 2nd and how much they'll earn late 2nd will make.

I'm not really criticizing. Just saying with hindsight that I'd rather we had got Lewis instead of Jones.

Moving down in the 2nd is a little more of a hit than you make out. We changed it up with trades but there's a big difference in terms of how much money a player drafted early 2nd and how much they'll earn late 2nd will make.

Very true on the $... however, that just strengthens my point that Jones was cheaper than Lewis :)

WTF are you talking about? For a guy that knows so much about crossing routes you have a rather twisted take on finances.

Well let's see... I'll try to make it easier for you to understand... I'll go slow, I promise.

Thomas Jones got what, 5 yrs, 20 M, 12 guaranteed, right?

Lewis got 5M last year, and he probably got somewhere in the neighborhood of Jones' contract now. Let's say 4 yrs, 15M, 8 guaranteed... So that's 5 yrs, 20M, 13 guaranteed (since he already got the 5M).

Then you tell me that a low second rounder is cheaper than a high 2nd rounder, right? Well we traded a high one for a low one + Jones... so there is some cash savings there...

Well let's see... I'll try to make it easier for you to understand... I'll go slow, I promise.

Thomas Jones got what, 5 yrs, 20 M, 12 guaranteed, right?

Lewis got 5M last year, and he probably got somewhere in the neighborhood of Jones' contract now. Let's say 4 yrs, 15M, 8 guaranteed... So that's 5 yrs, 20M, 13 guaranteed (since he already got the 5M).

Then you tell me that a low second rounder is cheaper than a high 2nd rounder, right? Well we traded a high one for a low one + Jones... so there is some cash savings there...

WRONG. Maybe instead of being so condescending you should check your figures. Jones got 4 years at $20M and $12M guaranteed. That works out to the same $5M per you claim Lewis got. I'm pretty sure that Lewis' deal was for $3.5M. The $5M figure came because Lewis hit all his incentives. Personally, I'd prefer to pay a guy for his performance. What incentives would Jones have reached last year? 60 yards per game? 1 touchdown? Wow! Maybe I'm a little slow, as you claim, but I'm pretty sure that $3.5 is less than $20M over 4. I'll double check with my calculator later. Hell, even at $5M per it's as cheap as Jones and isn't an albatross hanging around for the following seasons. Lewis new deal is for three years and allegedly back loaded, so that if he is cut they won't have a huge cap hit.

There were plenty of us on here who preferred a rental like Lewis to Jones. A few guys, Sperm and PeterNorth I think, specifically preferred Lewis. I actually thought the Jones deal was okay, but I'd have rather kept the higher pick and not have the contract around our necks. Plenty of people thought Lewis was done, but maybe he'd be able to get a third and one or score one from inside the three. Oh and PS, Lewis is a year younger than Jones.

I assumed that you were joking when you claimed that the lower pick in the second would save money, but I guess not. If that's the way you feel, why not trade all your first day picks for second day picks? I'm sure we'll be able to find a taker and think of the cash savings! Saving money by choosing worse talent. Brilliant!

WRONG. Maybe instead of being so condescending you should check your figures. Jones got 4 years at $20M and $12M guaranteed. That works out to the same $5M per you claim Lewis got. I'm pretty sure that Lewis' deal was for $3.5M. The $5M figure came because Lewis hit all his incentives. Personally, I'd prefer to pay a guy for his performance. What incentives would Jones have reached last year? 60 yards per game? 1 touchdown? Wow! Maybe I'm a little slow, as you claim, but I'm pretty sure that $3.5 is less than $20M over 4. I'll double check with my calculator later. Hell, even at $5M per it's as cheap as Jones and isn't an albatross hanging around for the following seasons. Lewis new deal is for three years and allegedly back loaded, so that if he is cut they won't have a huge cap hit.

There were plenty of us on here who preferred a rental like Lewis to Jones. A few guys, Sperm and PeterNorth I think, specifically preferred Lewis. I actually thought the Jones deal was okay, but I'd have rather kept the higher pick and not have the contract around our necks. Plenty of people thought Lewis was done, but maybe he'd be able to get a third and one or score one from inside the three. Oh and PS, Lewis is a year younger than Jones.

I assumed that you were joking when you claimed that the lower pick in the second would save money, but I guess not. If that's the way you feel, why not trade all your first day picks for second day picks? I'm sure we'll be able to find a taker and think of the cash savings! Saving money by choosing worse talent. Brilliant!

Either way, I'm still right. Thanks.. 4 yrs 20 just makes the figures closer.

LEwis got 5m last yr.... Don't know what he got this year. Incentives or NOT, it's money spent. Lewis, I'm sure, used Jones' contract as a baseline, so maybe he got 3 for 15 then...

Regardless, it works out we saved $...

I don't think it's a good idea to trade your 1st day picks... but IrishJet said it was more expensive financially the way we did it and I proved him wrong..

The rest of your crap is just that... crap. Nice way to change the argument though....

Either way, I'm still right. Thanks.. 4 yrs 20 just makes the figures closer.

LEwis got 5m last yr.... Don't know what he got this year. Incentives or NOT, it's money spent. Lewis, I'm sure, used Jones' contract as a baseline, so maybe he got 3 for 15 then...

Regardless, it works out we saved $...

I don't think it's a good idea to trade your 1st day picks... but IrishJet said it was more expensive financially the way we did it and I proved him wrong..

The rest of your crap is just that... crap. Nice way to change the argument though....

I guess I'll have to go back to my original question. WTF are you talking about?

Lewis got $5M last year? Fine. How is $5M less than $20M over 4 years. Twenty divided by four equals five. Of course $12M (more than half) was guaranteed, so Jones contract was more expensive than Lewis'. Particularly for last season.

Your argument is that we saved money because a later pick gets less money than an earlier one? Wow! You got me! It still isn't enough to make up for the guaranteed money that is going into Jones pocket either way.

BTW, Chicago flipped that pick for another second, a third, a fifth and a third in '08, but that doesn't have to do with this stupid discussion. At least 63 gets paid less than 37.

I guess I'll have to go back to my original question. WTF are you talking about?

Lewis got $5M last year? Fine. How is $5M less than $20M over 4 years. Twenty divided by four equals five. Of course $12M (more than half) was guaranteed, so Jones contract was more expensive than Lewis'. Particularly for last season.

Your argument is that we saved money because a later pick gets less money than an earlier one? Wow! You got me! It still isn't enough to make up for the guaranteed money that is going into Jones pocket either way.

BTW, Chicago flipped that pick for another second, a third, a fifth and a third in '08, but that doesn't have to do with this stupid discussion. At least 63 gets paid less than 37.

And I'll try to explain again. I can't help it if you don't think things through and have a simple mind.

Lewis is going to get MORE guaranteed $ than Jones. How... I'll explain it since there is no chance of you understanding.

Jones got 4 for 20... 12 guaranteed, which is what matters. Lewis has 5 in his pocket, and if you think his new deal has less than 7M guaranteed, you're mistaken....

You're right, what chicago did with the pick is meaningless. Someone said Lewis was CHEAPER than Jones, and that's wrong financially.

You may not like the move football wise.. your choice... not the point of this discussion though...

However, with an avatar like you have, I don't expect you to have much going on upstairs.

And I'll try to explain again. I can't help it if you don't think things through and have a simple mind.

Lewis is going to get MORE guaranteed $ than Jones. How... I'll explain it since there is no chance of you understanding.

Jones got 4 for 20... 12 guaranteed, which is what matters. Lewis has 5 in his pocket, and if you think his new deal has less than 7M guaranteed, you're mistaken....

You're right, what chicago did with the pick is meaningless. Someone said Lewis was CHEAPER than Jones, and that's wrong financially.

You may not like the move football wise.. your choice... not the point of this discussion though...

However, with an avatar like you have, I don't expect you to have much going on upstairs.

Dear Mr. Genius,

We have no idea about Lewis current deal, except that it is for three years and apparently back loaded. We could have signed Lewis to a deal for less than we paid Jones and elected not to do so. Obviously, I was talking about last season and you are figuring the amount they get paid over the length of their deals. Lewis is getting paid now based upon his performance in '07. If he gets a deal big enough to make Jones "cheaper" it is like saying we made the right choice at qb in '00 because Chad Pennington is "cheaper" than Tom Brady.

Besides the $12M in guarantees, Jones gets paid his salary each year. The $12M is the amount he'd have gotten if he were cut immediately, say June 1, 2007. According to rotoworld, Jones remaining contract calls for $2M this year, $900K in '09 and $2.8M in '10. That would mean he only has $5.7M left on the deal and was already paid $14.3M and will have $16.3 in his pocket after the '08 season. I'm not sure those figures are 100% correct, there might be other bonuses. Other sources indicate that Jones was to be paid $13.1M over the first two years of the deal. I guess we'll see what Lewis gets. According to your little scenario above he would have to get no less than $8.1M guaranteed to make him more expensive in guarantees than Jones.

Thanks. It's been fun having this little discussion with such a superior intellect. Sorry that you don't approve of Irina. I'll be sure to let her know. I'm sure she'll be crushed. I guess I should stop hanging out with hot chicks and start playing Gary Golf. Then maybe one day I can hope to be as smart as you.

Thanks. It's been fun having this little discussion with such a superior intellect. Sorry that you don't approve of Irina. I'll be sure to let her know. I'm sure she'll be crushed. I guess I should stop hanging out with hot chicks and start playing Gary Golf. Then maybe one day I can hope to be as smart as you.

Simple rule of thumb... Those who throw pictures of it up there usually aren't getting the real thing.

Lewis didn't get $8.1M guaranteed in 2007. If you want to proceed year-by-year, I don't know when Lewis would catch up.

2007: Lewis cost the Browns $5M

2007: Jones cost the Jets $14.3M and the value of an upper third round pick.

2008: Lewis re-signed b/c the Browns wanted him back

2008: Jones will be here no matter what; he is uncuttable even if worse than Barlow b/c we paid him so much

2009: Lewis is cuttable b/c there likely isn't a ridiculous up-front amount

2009: Jones is still uncuttable, as he's still cheaper to keep as a 3rd-string RB than cut.

We also LOST net money on the draft pick we surrendered. The extra draft pick we did not sign will cost less money on the cap than the veteran pickup who will/did take that draftee's place on the roster.

Lewis didn't get $8.1M guaranteed in 2007. If you want to proceed year-by-year, I don't know when Lewis would catch up.

2008: Jones will be here no matter what; he is uncuttable even if worse than Barlow b/c we paid him so much

2009: Jones is still uncuttable, as he's still cheaper to keep as a 3rd-string RB than cut.

We also LOST net money on the draft pick we surrendered. The extra draft pick we did not sign will cost less money on the cap than the veteran pickup who will/did take that draftee's place on the roster.

Thank You, case and point. Jones cost more than Lewis.

Thank You, case and point. Jones cost more than Lewis.

Ooh. You got me, joebaby and I don't get any poon. My wife will be so glad to hear. Does this mean you can't really play golf?

Sure. Him you believe?

So wait, you're MARRIED and you still post stuff like that? that makes it even lamer.

A lot of assumptions made here that probably are not true. Think about it. He made 5M last yr. He's going to get about the same amount of guarantees that Jones got. You're making a ton of assumptions to try to make a point that I bet are100% wrong...

Trust me, in 2009, Jones will be more cuttable than Lewis. Neither may actually be cuttable, but someone in the 2nd yr of a multi year deal is not going to be cuttable just because you think he WANTED to be back. He may have gave a discount, but what, 10%?

A lot of assumptions made here that probably are not true. Think about it. He made 5M last yr. He's going to get about the same amount of guarantees that Jones got. You're making a ton of assumptions to try to make a point that I bet are100% wrong...

Trust me, in 2009, Jones will be more cuttable than Lewis. Neither may actually be cuttable, but someone in the 2nd yr of a multi year deal is not going to be cuttable just because you think he WANTED to be back. He may have gave a discount, but what, 10%?

So you are concerned with being "cuttable" but you prefer Jones $20M deal to signing Lewis to a one year deal? Quite rational. Nobody is arguing that we should have signed Lewis this year. That ship has sailed. It's last year without making the trade where it would have made sense. He wouldn't have hit his incentives with the Jets and would have made a mere $3.5M. Jones gets only $900K of his $20M in '09 and therefore it would be kind of dumb to cut him. You like to project what Lewis contract will be, do you think Lewis will make less than $900K next year?

You saw this coming for a while now. Lewis resurrected his career in Cleveland this past season because teams no longer knew Lewis was getting the ball every series on 1st and 2nd down. Baltimore helped ruin his last few years and now he's helping Cleveland reach new heights.

You saw this coming for a while now. Lewis resurrected his career in Cleveland this past season because teams no longer knew Lewis was getting the ball every series on 1st and 2nd down. Baltimore helped ruin his last few years and now he's helping Cleveland reach new heights.

Courtesy of the offensive genius that is Brian Billick.:rl:

So you are concerned with being "cuttable" but you prefer Jones $20M deal to signing Lewis to a one year deal? Quite rational. Nobody is arguing that we should have signed Lewis this year. That ship has sailed. It's last year without making the trade where it would have made sense. He wouldn't have hit his incentives with the Jets and would have made a mere $3.5M. Jones gets only $900K of his $20M in '09 and therefore it would be kind of dumb to cut him. You like to project what Lewis contract will be, do you think Lewis will make less than $900K next year?

PREFER!?!?

Why are you putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID I PREFERRED 1 DEAL OR THE OTHER.

All I said is ultimately, Jones deal will be cheaper FINANCIALLY than Lewis'... I said nothing else.

Do I think Lewis makes less than 900K next yr? I have no clue. It depends how much he gets upfront... So, quite possibly, his base salary can be very small yes.

PREFER!?!?

Why are you putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID I PREFERRED 1 DEAL OR THE OTHER.

All I said is ultimately, Jones deal will be cheaper FINANCIALLY than Lewis'... I said nothing else.

Do I think Lewis makes less than 900K next yr? I have no clue. It depends how much he gets upfront... So, quite possibly, his base salary can be very small yes.

Fine. If you want to say that over the course of the rest of their careers Jones will cost less than Lewis there is a possibility you are right. Of course, as you admit, you have no clue as to the terms of the new deal and have been squawking about it all this time wihout having a clue about it.

That is not the issue though. The issue is which would have been cheaper when Jones signed his deal and the fact is that Lewis was way cheaper. He signed a $3.5M deal with incentives compared to Jones $20M with $12M guaranteed. The Jets are now stuck with a barely adequate back that they will still be paying him after they ink his replacement to a blockbuster deal. Plus they will probably have to pay a short yardage specialist to bail his dancing ass out at the goal. The Browns got the best season they've had from a RB since Jim Brown for less money and can determine if they want to pay him again or sign somebody else. Which player will be paid less? We don't know yet. Which deal was more fiscally responsible? No question there.

Story is that the Lewis deal is 3 years for $17M so if you just want to add those numbers he comes in $2M over Jones. OTOH, we don't know how much is guaranteed or in the last year which can be cut compared to the $2.8M Jones gets in 2010. I'm sure you'll never bother to look it up or inform me of the terms of the deal, which I might actually appreciate. You'll just sit around and spout the numbers from the headline.

POSTED 10:29 a.m. EST, February 26, 2008

LEWIS GOT $10 MILLION GUARANTEED

It has been reported that the contract signed last week by Browns running back Jamal Lewis has guaranteed money in the neighborhood of $6 million to $7 million. Per a source with knowledge of the deal, however, the practical guarantee is $10 million.

Lewis will be paid a total of $6.5 million in the first year of the deal. In 2009, he's due to receive a total of $3.5 million in guaranteed money.

Given that it's extremely unlikely that Lewis will be cut before the end of the 2008 season, his total take in 2008 is essentially guaranteed.

Per NFLPA records, Lewis has base salaries of $1.4 million in 2008, $2.4 million in 2009, and $2.4 million in 2010.

The total magnitude of the deal and the timing of its negotiation suggests that the Browns might have used the franchise tag on Lewis if the contract hadn't been worked out when it was. For running backs, the one-year salary commitment would have been $6.85 million. The two sides then would have had until July 15 to work out a multi-year contract

From PFT. 15M for Lewis over the 1st 3 yrs if you could his 1 yr deal last yr.. Yep, he's MUCH cheaper.

From PFT. 15M for Lewis over the 1st 3 yrs if you could his 1 yr deal last yr.. Yep, he's MUCH cheaper.

Eh, I was talking about the original contract, the one he signed when joining the Browns. This is a contact he earned based on his good performance last season. Not relevant to the arguement at all.

Eh, I was talking about the original contract, the one he signed when joining the Browns. This is a contact he earned based on his good performance last season. Not relevant to the arguement at all.

No, he was saying how Lewis would have been a much cheaper option for the long term....

Archived