Gholston and the Jets (per Ohio.com)

will

Gholston, Barton shine at workout

OSU linemen improve on their 40-yard dash times

By Marla Ridenour

Beacon Journal sportswriter

Published on Saturday, Mar 08, 2008

COLUMBUS: Ohio State right tackle Kirk Barton wanted to show the NFL ''they're not buying a lemon'' after his arthroscopic knee surgery.

Defensive end Vernon Gholston, who turned in one of the best workouts at last month's combine, wanted to show that it wasn't a one-time feat.

Both accomplished their goals Friday during OSU's Pro Day at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Barton was so thrilled afterward, he vowed to buy dinner for Eric Lichter, the Buckeyes' director of football performance.

Projected as a top 10 pick in the April 26 draft, Gholston, 6-foot-3 and 266 pounds, ran the 40 in 4.58 seconds and said he slowed down after 20 yards because he felt something in the hamstring he first pulled Monday. He also hit 42 inches in the vertical jump, getting ''more leg explosion.''

Pro scouts were buzzing in Indianapolis after Gholston, who said he will work out for the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets on Monday, ran the 40 in 4.67 seconds (third among defensive linemen) and topped his position group with a 351/2-inch vertical.

Asked why he ran again, Gholston said, ''A lot of the times I saw were in the 4.6 range and I know I wasn't in that range; 4.5 is what I wanted to push for.''

That didn't surprise Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Hea****.

''He's a very competitive person,'' Hea**** said. ''He wants to do the drills because he's not satisfied with what he did, even though everyone else told him he excelled.''

Barton, a Perry High School product, was motivated because he suffered a knee injury at the Senior Bowl and had an arthroscopy Jan. 24. He had only three weeks to train for the 40 with Lichter.

With Lichter working on his starting technique, Barton said, he trimmed about two-tenths of a second off his 40 time and ran it in 4.95 seconds.

''It's a moneymaker. I'll take it,'' Barton said. ''I was disappointed I couldn't run at the combine because I thought I'd be able to put up some great times. When you step up to the plate in front of all the scouts and are able to pop off a 4.95, it's exciting. It upgrades your status. I'm expecting to get some individual workouts from some offensive line coaches based on those times.''

He said he also hit 311/2 inches in the vertical jump and had good shuttle clockings. At the combine, Barton lifted 225 pounds 34 times, third among offensive linemen.

Barton said he watched the movie 300 Thursday night to get pumped up for the workout.

''I'm a big fan of that movie,'' he said. ''It was kind of like I was in the phalanx today and I couldn't let my mom and sister down.''

Projections vary on where, or if, Barton will be drafted. He knows the compensation is not the same between the second and seventh rounds.

''You try to get as high as you can,'' he said. ''All you really want is a chance, and I think I earned that today. I opened some eyes.''

Linebacker Larry Grant, Ohio State's only other combine invitee, also ran the 40 again, hitting between 4.58 and 4.67 seconds.

''I'll take the 4.58 any day,'' Grant said. ''I'm pretty excited. I had a lot of fun. I just hope I get drafted. If I make a team, I'm pretty sure I can contribute.''

Barton proudly sported new athletic apparel from Under Armour, with whom he signed after the combine.

''For a lineman, you just get apparel unless you're Joe Thomas,'' he said of the Browns' left tackle, the No. 3 pick in the 2007 draft. ''I'll take it. They were interested in me.

''Under Armour makes khakis now that the coaches wear. They're like $130 pants. I don't have to buy khakis anymore, underwear, socks. This knocks out all the little stuff that used to grab at your bank account.''

But Barton said he won't big-time his OSU friends.

''Any time you guys want to meet at Subway for dinner, I'll be around,'' he said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/16410231.html?page=all&c=y

That didn't surprise Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Hea****.

''He's a very competitive person,'' Hea**** said. ''He wants to do the drills because he's not satisfied with what he did, even though everyone else told him he excelled.''

What do you think his name is Hea**** or Hea****?

I'm not surprised Gholston ran again. I'm really starting to like the idea of getting him. That probably means he'll be gone.

I'm not surprised Gholston ran again. I'm really starting to like the idea of getting him. That probably means he'll be gone.

He's just too athletic to fall out of this moderately weak top 5. I'm starting to think Chris Long might slide out of the top five, this is the biggest crap shoot i've seen in the top 5 for years.

I'm pretty sure this article was a cut and paste from JI

So I actually think the guys name is HeaJetNation

http://www.nfldraft101.com/ has the Jets taking Veron Gholson. Any Thoughts?

While driving from Louisville to Albany (now stuck in some podunk PA town due to i90 being shut down) I heard an interview he did on espn radio with john clayton. He seemed well spoken and confident without appearing ****y. He def. seems like a solid individual so he passes the mangini guy test. He spoke about how he played standing up and with his hand on the ground and how hes willing to do either for the sake of the team. I waver from hoping we draft him to dreading the fact we'd have so much money tied up in rush OLB's that havent produced at this level. Does anyone think we could trade down if he does fall to us? Does another team want him badly enough to trade up?

Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston recorded a 42 inch vertical leap and ran a 4.58 forty at his Pro Day Saturday.

That's over six inches more than his excellent Combine performance, which many players would have rested on. Gholston is making the case that he's the most athletic player in the draft. Oakland will look at him hard with the fourth pick

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

In working out again for scouts, however, Gholston showed his competitive nature. In improving each of his numbers significantly, he may have jumped into top-five consideration. In fact, some scouts leaving the workout questioned if Gholston hadn't leaped ahead of Virginia's Chris Long as the top defensive end in the draft.

Long, considered by many scouts to be the safest pick in the entire class, is a better player than Gholston now, due to Long's rare technique and instincts, but scouts contend that he isn't the same caliber of athlete as Gholston. As one scout leaving the workout characterized it: "With Long, you have a finished product. Gholston is an ascending talent. In a few years, he could really be something."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10696184/rss

Maybe Mayock wasnt to crazy when he had Long falling to us!

Archived