That's enough with the Peterson to McFadden comparisons

Jetlag

Every message board I go to, every newspaper I open, and every blog written about McFadden there is this mention of the Adrian Peterson fall. As if they are one and the same. They are both the highest regarded running backs in their respective drafts....that's where the comparison ENDS!

Adrian Peterson stepped into the Big 12 as a freshman and ran roughshod over any team, period. Not only would he bowl over defenders but they'd eat his dust once he hit the secondary. He's the definition of a COMPLETE running back. In fact the only thing that could stop him, in fact did. Which was injury. THIS is the reason he fell, NO ONE ever doubted his ability on the field but teams got scared from his injury history and rightfully so. In fact football fans act as if AP didn't miss time this season because of injury.

That said Darren McFadden has made a killing running out of shotgun spreads and from the QB position in misdirection plays where he uses his speed as his advantage. I'm not going to sit here and say Darren McFadden is not a talent. He most certainly has plenty of talent but his skill set does not even COME CLOSE to comparing to AP. In fact McFadden is going to have to be used more situationally. Whichever team drafts him would be best served motioning him around and even throwing him in the slot at times. While this can turn into a weapon, it does not make for a true BLUE CHIP running back.

It's unfortunate that many fans/media types have the memory of a fish and can't remember any NFL longer then the preceding season.

Every message board I go to, every newspaper I open, and every blog written about McFadden there is this mention of the Adrian Peterson fall. As if they are one and the same. They are both the highest regarded running backs in their respective drafts....that's where the comparison ENDS!

Adrian Peterson stepped into the Big 12 as a freshman and ran roughshod over any team, period. Not only would he bowl over defenders but they'd eat his dust once he hit the secondary. He's the definition of a COMPLETE running back. In fact the only thing that could stop him, in fact did. Which was injury. THIS is the reason he fell, NO ONE ever doubted his ability on the field but teams got scared from his injury history and rightfully so. In fact football fans act as if AP didn't miss time this season because of injury.

That said Darren McFadden has made a killing running out of shotgun spreads and from the QB position in misdirection plays where he uses his speed as his advantage. I'm not going to sit here and say Darren McFadden is not a talent. He most certainly has plenty of talent but his skill set does not even COME CLOSE to comparing to AP. In fact McFadden is going to have to be used more situationally. Whichever team drafts him would be best served motioning him around and even throwing him in the slot at times. While this can turn into a weapon, it does not make for a true BLUE CHIP running back.

It's unfortunate that many fans/media types have the memory of a fish and can't remember any NFL longer then the preceding season.

Have you ever watched this kid play?

If yes, you would know he had a terrible QB (D1ck) and opposing teams stacked the run all day. He still ran over LSU, the national champs.

The Kid runs with speed and power.... the character issue is a problem.

I agree Peterson is still young, you can't compare him to McFadden yet....... but give him a few more years. He had a pretty good rookie season behind a very talented O-line with Minnesota, let's see if he can build on it though before we start the anointing him the next DMC.

I agree Peterson is still young, you can't compare him to McFadden yet....... but give him a few more years. He had a pretty good rookie season behind a very talented O-line with Minnesota, let's see if he can build on it though before we start the anointing him the next DMC.

Archived